Start by marking “Over to You: Ten Stories of Flyers and Flying” as Want to Read:
Over to You: Ten Stories of Flyers and Flying

Over to You: Ten Stories of Flyers and Flying

Roald Dahl was badly wounded in Libya during the war, but he went on to serve in the RAF in Greece and Syria. In these spine-tingling tales of battles in the sky - and in the psyche - he draws on his own experiences and those of his friends and colleagues to convey the bizarre reality of a pilot's existence. From the nervy jollity of life in the Ops room and the Mess in 'D ...more
Published January 2nd 1990 by Penguin Books (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Over to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over to You

Rachel
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
"Ten mind-tingling stories based on Roald Dahl's experiences as a wartime fighter pilot." As one who has wanted to jump into the minds of pilots in wartime I thought this book would be a great introduction.. it really wasn't.

Death of an Old Old Man - 3/5
An African Story - 3/5
A Piece of Cake (rated and briefly discussed in 'The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar' review)
Madamme Rosette - 1.5/5
Katina - 3.5/5
Yesterday was Beautiful - 1/5
They Shall Not Grow Old - 4.5/5
Beware of the Dog - 3/5
Only This
Perry Whitford
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl was a fighter pilot during WWII, flying missions over Africa and Greece, shooting down enough enemy planes to be considered an ace and once crashing so badly that he was temporarily blinded.

These ten stories (the first he wrote I believe) are directly influenced from his experiences at that time, and they pack quite a punch, though not by virtue of the devilish sleight of hand that characterized his later stuff.

The companionship, the exhilaration, the fear, the grief, the brutal reali
Христо Блажев
В полет към теб, в полет към живота или смъртта: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/v...
Не може да се каже, че съм фен на детските книги, заради които Роалд Дал има толкова много фенове – все се каня да попрочета някоя от тях, но след като преди време злослучих на “Семейство Тъпашки”, така и си останах с намерението. Отчитам, че това е грешка, ще я поправя рано или късно. Но да се докосна до разказите му “за възрастни” си струваше – Дал е прекрасен разказвач, има деликатно умение да предава емо
César Lasso
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: brit-lit
Se trata, tal vez, del libro de Dahl que menos huella me ha dejado. Reúne relatos con la experiencia del autor como piloto en la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Tiene, eso sí, el sello de Dahl, y satisfará a los que han hecho de ese escritor un fetiche. Entiendo que se tratará de las primeras experiencias del joven autor en el campo de la literatura, pues sufrió un accidente y, ya en el hospital, comenzó a escribir cuentos de guerra para revistas.
Paul
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting to see where Dahl started out as a writer. A general melancholy runs through the stories , a sadness at the waste of life or dealing with causing or watching death.
A couole of the stories ate clearly propaganda pieces with the death of a child or hero pilot at the hands of the evil german. Definotely a collection of uts time but all the more interesting for it. Most were written in the midst of war and that tension is obvious.
Worth a read for curiosity and a feel of history
Tommy Verhaegen
Een bundel korte verhalen van een groot schrijver. Toch had ik moeite om er doorheen te geraken. Voornamelijk door het thema doorheen het boek: oorlogsvliegers, en dan niet de spannende heldenverhalen, maar de belichting van de keerzijde van de medaille: het lijden, sterven, verlies,... Vaak vanuit een originele hoek, een ander soort heldendom, meer type martelaarschap. Prettige verhalen zijn het niet, dikwijls kan je alleen verder lezen met een krop in de keel, soms lijkt het toch een positief ...more
Angie Fehl
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

During World War 2, beloved childrens' author Roald Dahl served as a fighter pilot with the Royal Air Force. Though severly injured in Libya, he went on to fly in additional missions over Greece and Syria, later transferring to a position in Intelligence. Inspired by his own true-life experiences, Dahl crafts a truly unique collection of sometimes eerie, sometimes touching short stories, each story illustrating an unusual experience of a different pilot. In his foreword, Dahl explains t
Noah Wilson
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Here we see yet another side of Dahl showcased, and as could be expected, it's brilliant through and through. Certainly some of my favourite work of one of my favourite writers.

On a sidenote, I'd just like to say that "Katina" in particular is a fantastic story and deserves special mention.
Ms Miaow
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roald-dahl
I found the stories poignant and rather melancholy, but that is to be expected as they were concerning pilots in the RAF during WW2.
Sam Dupont
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Il y a de nombreuses raisons qui poussent un écrivain à prendre la plume et la guerre a été le déclencheur pour nombre de grands auteurs.
Roald Dahl fait partie de ceux là.

C’est un texte, à cheval entre réalité et fiction, décrivant son expérience dans la RAF au cours de la seconde guerre mondiale qui lui fera comprendre qu’il peut vivre de l’écriture. Il se lance alors dans une carrière de noveliste produisant des œuvres provocatrices et terriblement drôle telles que Mon oncle Oswald ou encore L
it'chy
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft
even then
Matti Karjalainen
Suhteeni Roald Dahliin on perustunut käytännössä hänen riemukkaisiin lastenkirjoihinsa, ja muutamaa hätäisesti lukemaani novellia lukuun ottamatta en ole hänen aikuisille suunnattuun tuotantoonsa tutustunut. Ennen kuin nyt.

Dahlin "Over to You: Ten Stories of Flyers and Flying" (Penguin, 2011)sisältää kymmenen lyhyenlaista novellia, jotka käsittelevät tavalla tai toisella ilmailua. Tarinat sijoittuvat usein toiseen maailmansotaan, ja ymmärtääkseni niiden tausta on myös hävittäjälentäjänä toiminee
Maureen
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd read Kids' Books Dahl and Black-Humoured Adult Books Dahl, but this was a beast I hadn't encountered before: Earliest Dahl, writing sincerely and vividly in these fictional stories based on his experiences as a WWII fighter pilot. It often reminded me of Catch 22: the similarity is natural enough, given the subject matter, and Catch 22 is obviously a much, much more complex work. But readers had to wait until 1961 to get the insight into the highly skilled, exhilarating and godawfully terrif ...more
Manta
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read Roald Dahl as a child...and even now, years on, he hasn't let me down. You find layers after layers of new meaning and nuance in his writing each time you come back to it, like coming back to a home that is even better. A lovely book of short stories at times sad, others sharp, but always wicked - wickedly human and biting and wonderful.
Jimeetgandhi
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
The book has been entirely dedicated to pilots engaged in the World War, their flying experiences, their ordeals, their pleasures and their spirits. It has 10 chapters, each with a different storyline. Atleast 7 chapters have either abrupt endings, vague flying experiences with no logical explanations; or they have a storyline that is too stretched.
Pharlap
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know Roald Dahl from bit perverse stories for adults, published in mid 1950-ties in Poland. It was a great surprise for me to find this author many years later on shelves with books for children.
Over to you - already the title is quite ambiguous - I wonder what it means to other readers.
I see it as a routine in military radio communication - when each person ending his/her message says - over.
Military communication, right, the book is based on author's experience as RAF pilot during II World W
Alana Cash
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found these stories immensely interesting and entertaining, especially learning the life of RAF pilots during WWII. Some of the stories are told in 3rd person and others in 1st person. Some characters appeared in several stories and these stories were not in order in the book. Dahl's descriptive style is spare, but effective and every story had a punch.

What especially interested me were the paranormal experiences of the pilots. Having grown up in an Air Force family, I had heard stories from
Ryan McShane
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This early collection of Roald Dahl works was dark. Some of the stories are based on first or second-hand experiences, while others are entirely fictionalized (all are fictional).

But reading these definitely gives you a sense of the darkness Dahl experienced as a fighter pilot, and it surely got him started on his later short stories, a lot of which are dark as well. Even some of his children's stories are a bit dark.

I am thankful someone asked him to write this - it gave me a glimpse into his
Ralitsa EStoyanova
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
“Продължих да стоя и да се взирам в сърцевината на огъня, откъдето бликаха алените пламъци и наситената, нажежена до бяло топлина. Постепенно тяхната яркост се разсея, стана мека и жълтеникава като слънчева светлина и през нея, някъде отвъд, изникна образът на малко момиче, застанало насред полето, с озарени от слънцето коси. То вдигна глава към небето, което бе ясно и синьо, без нито едно облаче, а после се обърна и погледна към мен - и тогава видях, че предницата на бялата му басмяна рокля е о ...more
Richard
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tales of derring-do during his days as a Spitfire pilot, from the master storyteller Roald Dahl.

At this time of year I sometimes look up at the sky over Kent and think how close we came during the Battle of Britain. This short, humorous read captures the spirit of humble bravery and youthful high-jinks, particularly the story of liberating a brothel full of prostitutes in Cairo.

But it's also a narrative of lives, and limbs lost.
Renata
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A brilliant read from the author who brought us our beloved childhood books. "Over To You" is a collection of stories based on Roald Dahl's experiences as a fighter pilot in WWII, before he turned writer and and gave us some memorable tales growing up. This is not just about history and facts, but gives us a glimpse into the mind of a fighter pilot during war.
Tina Dimitrova
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Differs a little bit from Dahl's typical surrealist & outerworldly writing style but it is part of his earlier work, after all. An interesting view of World War Two and the life of a fighter pilot that is an easy and fun read.
Chani
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
The mood of this book was a little too sad for me.
William Hayman
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A good, enjoyable read. A bit of an eye opener regarding the harsh realities of war.
John Ostwald
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very neat to see Dahl's surreal tall tale style and even a bit of his kid's book whimsy applied to the grit of the war story genre.
Petter Lausund
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this so much, also, one of the stories are extremely similar to a small part of “Porco Rosso” by Ghibli.
Matthew
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Audiobook - Some interesting Tales concerning WW2 fighter pilots
Claire
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Started well, dragged a bit
Kathy
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Dahl really proves that it's possible to be an exceptional children's book author, yet also write serious stories also. This book is a collection of war stories, but ones unlike others told. There are no heroes in theses stories; no last minute, turn the tide of the the war tales - these are the stories of the real people of the war. These are the stories of the countless thousands who never returned home, or those that did, without fanfare or acclaim - some would argue the real ...more
  • The Penguin Book of English Short Stories
  • Piece of Cake
  • Camera Obscura
  • It's Heaven to Be Seven
  • The Apothecary’s House
  • First Light
  • The Fat Man in History
  • De nieuwe man
  • Shawl-Straps (Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag #2)
  • Mysteries of the Diogenes Club