Start by marking “Kiss Kiss” as Want to Read:
Kiss Kiss

Kiss Kiss

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  6,244 Ratings  ·  410 Reviews
Contains stories including The Landlady, William and Mary, The Way up to Heaven, Parson's Pleasures, Mrs Bixby and the Colonel's Coat, Royal Jelly, Gregory Progy, Genesis and Catastrophe, Edwards the Conqueror, Pig and The Champion of the World.
Published October 26th 1987 by Penguin Books (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss Kiss

Miranda Reads
Finally, a short-story collection by Dahl that didn't send me running for the hills

To put this into context, I've already read The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More & Switch Bitch and both were disturbing and misogynistic. Kiss Kiss was marginally better. Without further ado, here is Dahl's most macabre collection of short stories:

The Landlady - A young man excitedly moves to a new city for his job. He finds a lovely little bed and breakfast run by a dotty old woman who dabbles in
Melki
Looking for some deviously funny cautionary tales riddled with delightfully diabolical twists?

Well, here be eleven goodies to amuse and entertain you.

You will learn to beware of old ladies bearing tea, to be kind to your wife or she will totally screw up your afterlife, to never bilk idiots and that meat really is murder.

Dahl is a superb writer. I had no idea where some of these stories were going until the last paragraph. With others, I predicted the ending, but read eagerly to find out if I w
Nandakishore Varma
I don't remember exactly when I encountered Roald Dahl - perhaps in my pre-teens. But I sure remember I did not encounter him in any story "appropriate" for children. "The Veld" (not included here) and "Pig" (included) are two stories I remember vividly from those days - both delightfully creepy, yet weirder than the standard fare you get from horror-story writers.

This delightful little collection contains creepy gems such as "The Landlady", "Pig", "Georgy Porgy" and "Royal Jelly"; "William and
Gabrielle
Human nature's dark side is not pretty. Lies, greed, violent impulses… In this collection of short stories, Roald Dahl tells us how the world sometimes exacts delicious revenge on people in the most grotesque ways…

I only knew Dahl through his children's books, "The Witches" being one of my own childhood favorites. My colleague Caroline adores his short stories and she kindly lent me her copy of "Kiss Kiss", that I devoured over a few lunch breaks. The dark humour, acid tongue and unsettling mind
Caroline
May 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Though this books of Dahl's short stories is missing some of my favorites (like the one about the eavesdropping card-playing couples and the one with the frozen leg of lamb), it has many of Dahl's best. From a father who feeds his baby enormous quantities of royal jelly, to a nervous hyper-punctual housewife who exacts a seemingly innocent revenge on her passive aggressive husband, these stories are twisted, surprising and never overdone. The stories have just the sort of Professor Plum, crackli ...more
Nicola
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Roald Dahl is, needless to say, best known as the author of books for children. This collection of short stories is easy on the whizzpopping, frumpets, and strawbunkies, but his subtly sinister grown-up world is equally enthralling.

The beauty of Dahl's short stories is his innate talent for saying the most when he says nothing at all. Massive chunks of story line are told through every ellipsis, of which there are many. Rather than telling you exactly what is happening, Dahl creates the setting,
Jules ♈ ☾Bookvergent☽
ACTUAL RATING: 3.5 STARS Roahl Dahl always manages to impress me (in a good way). I read this during my english course (still studying english-spanish translation) and even though I recognize that he is an excellent author, I'm growing slightly tired of him. I read lots of his books during Middle School so please understand.... I loved each plot twist that he made; each story ends completely different from what I was thinking (which is perfect cuz not all books have that). I read and analyzed ...more
Stefania
Funny. Dark. Brilliant. An incredibly fun read that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I hadn't read any of the author's work until now, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Although the book is easy to read, it remains fresh and unpredictable. When the reader may start to expect the unexpected, Dahl finds a way to surprise them, either by means of a twist or by adding some macabre detail that leaves them feeling uneasy but strangely satisfied.

-----

Gracioso. Oscuro. Genial. Una lectura increíblemente
Leah Jay
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection of hilarious (and sometimes wonderfully disturbing) short stories.
You can see Roald's beautiful writing throughout the whole book, which was a plus for me, as I am a HUGE fan of it.
I would recommend this book for ages 13 and up, since there is a little profanity thrown in here and there.
I had a lot of fun reading through this story collection, and I hope you will, too!
Maria
I had higer hopes for this book As i really enjoyed Dahls Switch Bitch which is another one of his books written for an older audience. Im sad to Say it really didnt work for mé. I think out of the shortstories in this book i only really liked "the landlady" and " pig". There was Nothing in particular Wrong with the stories they just werent anything special.
May
Feb 06, 2014 added it
So far, so good. Definitely not your conventional love stories-I'm on the third or fourth short story and at least four people have died so far. I feel like he has a lot to say about gender and power dynamics in marriage, but I think a lot of these marriages presented are more reflective of the times, when a wife was more of a housekeeper than a lover to the husband, and so it is only natural that she relishes in manipulating men when given the chance. I'll write more when I'm feeling more eloqu ...more
David (דוד)
Average rating: 3.64

This was the first set of short stories that I read, from the acclaimed writer, since the time I came to know that he wrote macabre fiction. The book contains eleven stories, exploring the sinister side of the human psyche, some with twists in the end. I enjoyed them, they satisfied me to some extent, although only a couple of stories kept me mesmerized. However, by the end of the book, it made me decide to continue to explore more of his dark and sinister works.
Yasemin Salihoglu Karagul
Daha çok çocuk kitapları ile tanıdığım Roald Dahl'in biz yetişkinler için yazılmış sürükleyici öykülerden oluşan kitabını heyecanla okudum.
bazi oykulerin sonunda yok artik dedim; bazılarında üzüldüm bazılarında hafif bir tebessüm belirdi yüzümde.
cevirinin de cok basarili olduğuna inaniyorum.
PurplyCookie
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
There's a quiet zaniness that runs through the lot of these stories. Most of them are crisp, surprising and smoothly written at every turn. Dahl-licious one might say.

The Landlady >> "There is nothing more tantalizing than a thing which lingers just outside the borders of one's memory." A teenage boy finds himself assigned to Bath and decided to check into a Bed & Breakfast where he was welcomed by a nice (even if slightly dotty) old woman. He starts to wonder why no one else has
JoJo
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 2.5/5

This is my first 'adult' Roald Dahl, I've never read any of his books of short stories.

My faves were Parson's Pleasure and Mrs. Bixby and the Colonel's Coat.

Some of the stories I didn't like, and one I just didn't get the ending, but some were quite amusing. I also liked how it kept you guessing til the end (well, for me anyway)
Lori Cooper
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book at a thrift store for a quarter. Love the quirky and imaginative stories in this book. I especially like this particular edition because on the back cover jacket is a picture of him and Patricia Neal, a native Tennessean! What a beauty she was! I love her in "The Day the Earth Stood Still."
Rose Heartfilia
I call this quite an asset in my bookcases because of the edition as well as the short stories written by Roald Dahl. I have read a few of these short stories while studying English literature, I had not guessed that I would ever get my hands on the original book but here I have it. I'm really glad about it.

I don't have the need to judge them all seperately, maybe at some point I will but right now I don't feel like it. Because of the two/three I knew I don't feel like it. Since I knew them I h
Julie
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never realized Dahl wrote adult fiction, till now I only thought of him as a children’s book author. When I encountered this short story book, I was intrigued and then very pleased. What a wonderful collection of odd and perverse stories about adults who have no moral boundaries and which still hold up today. I will definitely read more of his adult stories.
Shams Adnan
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
واخيراً انهيت هذا الكتاب ✨❤ حيث بدأت بالقراءة من 2017
ولكن لصعوبة اللغة وضعفي في اللغة الانكليزية
حيث ظننت أنها قصص للاطفال كعادة روالد دال 😅لكن انصدمت بمواضيع القصص حيث تجد قصص مرعبة مستفزة
مضحكة بشكل لايصدق 🍀 القصص جميلة جداً
حيث احسست فعلاً بالرعب في بعض القصص ✨
وبالعصبية في بعض القصص الاخرى 🍀
وبالضحك على نهاية بعض القصص، ابدع روالد دال في هذا الكتاب
لكن تحذير⚡ الي لغته الانكليزية ضعيفة لايتورط ابداً 👍🏻👍🏻❤
Cormac Healy
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A hugely enjoyable selection of short stories.

Like most people I have read several (and when I say several I mean a lot) of Roald Dahl's books for younger readers and remember thoroughly enjoying them. I also remember back in my high school days reading "The Landlady" from this selection and thoroughly enjoying it so it was with great excitement that I got stuck into this collection.

There is a large variety in the type of story here (with a general theme of some sort of twist in each story), wi
Bruno Espadana
Dark, macabre and incredibly funny. I knew some of Dahl's children's books, but had never read any of his other work, so "Kiss Kiss" was a great surprise. I loved everything about the stories, but especially the black zany humour that Dahl so perfectly masters. A great collection, and I will definitely go back for more.
Juli
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often like short stories because I feel like I never get to care for the characters or what happens, but these stories aren't meant for one to care, they're funny and mysterious and awesome. Each and every one seems normal up to a point when everything changes and they're suddenly not. Wonderfully creative and entertaining, Dahl doesn't disappoint in this one.
Diane Briones™
The "BEST" adult 'short' storyteller

Classic. A master story teller with a 'nasty' twist to his plots. I have loved this book since I first read it at school. It might seem a little dated today but Roald Dahl was the master of a short story.
Nick
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'd read these before, a long time ago, but they were all brilliant short stories to read again. Dahl was a legend.
Pallavi Dhakal
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved the short stories! Roald Dahl swept me off my feet with his sinister, creepy, twisted stories.
Jean-marcel
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I was in elementary school, Roald Dahl was ubiquitous. This was largely in the late 1980s. I'm not sure how it is nowadays, but back then it seemed like all the teachers were trying to get us to read his stuff. Normally for a kid this would be anathema ("if adults like it and want me to read it, it must be awful boring shite!). But you know, it was impossible not to love crazy rides like The Twits, George's Marvelous medicine (whose moral seems to be a subversive "adults have to get high so ...more
Parikhit
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, short-stories
That Roald Dahl could be this shrewd an author came as quite a surprise to me! I had always known Roald Dahl for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The BFG and the like, books I have been reading now, and seeing them in a new light, owing the Bangalore Book Club meet on Roald Dahl. I was unaware of the fact that he had written stories for adults and Dear Lord, 'Kiss Kiss', my first book of short-stories penned by this eclectic author shocked me ways more than one! That vengeance could be hilario ...more
Judy Abbott
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pek tuhaf öyküler seçkisi. Hikâyelerin sonunda ne olduğunu biraz hayal etmek gerekiyor :)
Anna Walden
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it
some of them where really good (william and mary and the landlady) but others i didn't find as intriguing.
M
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Having been exposed to his children's books, I had a very different idea of Dahl. I did read his book the Great Automatic Grammatizator, which is targeted towards teens. So it was a slightly sheltered exposure still.
Of course then I decide to do a deep dive and end up with Kiss Kiss. Macabre tales that I was wholly unprepared for. I liked almost all except Pig. I hated Pig. It was beyond macabre. It was cruel and I was grateful to be vegetarian.
I especially liked William and Mary. I've read the
Which story is your favourite? And please tell me why. 3 22 Apr 16, 2017 11:48AM
Kiss Kiss 6 35 Jan 05, 2015 11:41PM
  • Legends of Charlemagne
  • Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America
  • Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery
  • Comrade Loves of the Samurai
  • After Dark (Silver John, #2)
  • Women and Ghosts: Tales

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things