Start by marking “Kiss Kiss” as Want to Read:
Kiss Kiss

Kiss Kiss

Contains stories including The Landlady, William and Mary, The Way up to Heaven, Parson's Pleasures, Mrs Bixby and the Colonel's Coat, Royal Jelly, Gregory Progy, Genesis and Catastrophe, Edwards the Conqueror, Pig and The Champion of the World.
Published October 26th 1987 by Penguin Books (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss Kiss

Miranda Reads
Finally, a short-story collection by Dahl that didn't send me running for the hills

To put this into context, I've already read The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More & Switch Bitch and both were disturbing and misogynistic. Kiss Kiss was marginally better. Without further ado, here is Dahl's most macabre collection of short stories:

The Landlady - A young man excitedly moves to a new city for his job. He finds a lovely little bed and breakfast run by a dotty old woman who dabbles in
Melki
Looking for some deviously funny cautionary tales riddled with delightfully diabolical twists?

Well, here be eleven goodies to amuse and entertain you.

You will learn to beware of old ladies bearing tea, to be kind to your wife or she will totally screw up your afterlife, to never bilk idiots and that meat really is murder.

Dahl is a superb writer. I had no idea where some of these stories were going until the last paragraph. With others, I predicted the ending, but read eagerly to find out if I w
Nandakishore Varma
I don't remember exactly when I encountered Roald Dahl - perhaps in my pre-teens. But I sure remember I did not encounter him in any story "appropriate" for children. "The Veld" (not included here) and "Pig" (included) are two stories I remember vividly from those days - both delightfully creepy, yet weirder than the standard fare you get from horror-story writers.

This delightful little collection contains creepy gems such as "The Landlady", "Pig", "Georgy Porgy" and "Royal Jelly"; "William and
Gabrielle
Human nature's dark side is not pretty. Lies, greed, violent impulses… In this collection of short stories, Roald Dahl tells us how the world sometimes exacts delicious revenge on people in the most grotesque ways…

I only knew Dahl through his children's books, "The Witches" being one of my own childhood favorites. My colleague Caroline adores his short stories and she kindly lent me her copy of "Kiss Kiss", that I devoured over a few lunch breaks. The dark humour, acid tongue and unsettling mind
Richard Derus
Real Rating: 2.75* of five

A cruel and demanding husband, or so his first wife Patricia Neal would have us know; a creepy old party, as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory amply demonstrated, with a great deal of disdain for Jewishness and gluttony and greed in general. His adult fiction is largely out of print in the US, and he was never really quite The Thing here as he was in Britain. I suppose his light sneers at us, so evident in his attitude towards the US's involvement in the Second World Wa
Caroline
May 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Though this books of Dahl's short stories is missing some of my favorites (like the one about the eavesdropping card-playing couples and the one with the frozen leg of lamb), it has many of Dahl's best. From a father who feeds his baby enormous quantities of royal jelly, to a nervous hyper-punctual housewife who exacts a seemingly innocent revenge on her passive aggressive husband, these stories are twisted, surprising and never overdone. The stories have just the sort of Professor Plum, crackli ...more
Nicola
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Roald Dahl is, needless to say, best known as the author of books for children. This collection of short stories is easy on the whizzpopping, frumpets, and strawbunkies, but his subtly sinister grown-up world is equally enthralling.

The beauty of Dahl's short stories is his innate talent for saying the most when he says nothing at all. Massive chunks of story line are told through every ellipsis, of which there are many. Rather than telling you exactly what is happening, Dahl creates the setting,
Jules ♈ ☾Bookvergent☽
ACTUAL RATING: 3.5 STARS Roahl Dahl always manages to impress me (in a good way). I read this during my english course (still studying english-spanish translation) and even though I recognize that he is an excellent author, I'm growing slightly tired of him. I read lots of his books during Middle School so please understand.... I loved each plot twist that he made; each story ends completely different from what I was thinking (which is perfect cuz not all books have that). I read and analyzed ...more
Stefania
Funny. Dark. Brilliant. An incredibly fun read that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I hadn't read any of the author's work until now, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Although the book is easy to read, it remains fresh and unpredictable. When the reader may start to expect the unexpected, Dahl finds a way to surprise them, either by means of a twist or by adding some macabre detail that leaves them feeling uneasy but strangely satisfied.

-----

Gracioso. Oscuro. Genial. Una lectura increíblemente
Leah Jay
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection of hilarious (and sometimes wonderfully disturbing) short stories.
You can see Roald's beautiful writing throughout the whole book, which was a plus for me, as I am a HUGE fan of it.
I would recommend this book for ages 13 and up, since there is a little profanity thrown in here and there.
I had a lot of fun reading through this story collection, and I hope you will, too!
Maria
I had higer hopes for this book As i really enjoyed Dahls Switch Bitch which is another one of his books written for an older audience. Im sad to Say it really didnt work for mé. I think out of the shortstories in this book i only really liked "the landlady" and " pig". There was Nothing in particular Wrong with the stories they just werent anything special.
May
Feb 06, 2014 added it
So far, so good. Definitely not your conventional love stories-I'm on the third or fourth short story and at least four people have died so far. I feel like he has a lot to say about gender and power dynamics in marriage, but I think a lot of these marriages presented are more reflective of the times, when a wife was more of a housekeeper than a lover to the husband, and so it is only natural that she relishes in manipulating men when given the chance. I'll write more when I'm feeling more eloqu ...more
David (דוד)
Average rating: 3.64

This was the first set of short stories that I read, from the acclaimed writer, since the time I came to know that he wrote macabre fiction. The book contains eleven stories, exploring the sinister side of the human psyche, some with twists in the end. I enjoyed them, they satisfied me to some extent, although only a couple of stories kept me mesmerized. However, by the end of the book, it made me decide to continue to explore more of his dark and sinister works.
Manuella
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
If it wasn't for uni, I would have never picked it up...
Some short-stories were creepy (Pig and William and Mary), others were absurd (Georgy Porgy) and others gave an image of women that I didn't like (The Way up to Heaven).
(I'm in need of a five-star book rn)
PurplyCookie
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
There's a quiet zaniness that runs through the lot of these stories. Most of them are crisp, surprising and smoothly written at every turn. Dahl-licious one might say.

The Landlady >> "There is nothing more tantalizing than a thing which lingers just outside the borders of one's memory." A teenage boy finds himself assigned to Bath and decided to check into a Bed & Breakfast where he was welcomed by a nice (even if slightly dotty) old woman. He starts to wonder why no one else has
JoJo
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 2.5/5

This is my first 'adult' Roald Dahl, I've never read any of his books of short stories.

My faves were Parson's Pleasure and Mrs. Bixby and the Colonel's Coat.

Some of the stories I didn't like, and one I just didn't get the ending, but some were quite amusing. I also liked how it kept you guessing til the end (well, for me anyway)
Lori Cooper
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book at a thrift store for a quarter. Love the quirky and imaginative stories in this book. I especially like this particular edition because on the back cover jacket is a picture of him and Patricia Neal, a native Tennessean! What a beauty she was! I love her in "The Day the Earth Stood Still."
Rose  Heartfilia
I call this quite an asset in my bookcases because of the edition as well as the short stories written by Roald Dahl. I have read a few of these short stories while studying English literature, I had not guessed that I would ever get my hands on the original book but here I have it. I'm really glad about it.

I don't have the need to judge them all seperately, maybe at some point I will but right now I don't feel like it. Because of the two/three I knew I don't feel like it. Since I knew them I h
Sudhir Pai
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've always believed authors of best-selling children's books are great writers who don't find writing for mature readers challenging enough. "Kiss Kiss" - a book of short stories by Roald Dahl just reinforces this belief of mine.
With a bunch of fast paced short stories, Dahl shows how to elicit an entire gamut of emotions that can make wake up with a jerk at 3am. Extremely devious, extremely creepy, extremely wierd, extremely tantalising, extremely sexist too at times. But whether or not these
Julie
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never realized Dahl wrote adult fiction, till now I only thought of him as a children’s book author. When I encountered this short story book, I was intrigued and then very pleased. What a wonderful collection of odd and perverse stories about adults who have no moral boundaries and which still hold up today. I will definitely read more of his adult stories.
Helly
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Re-read my favorite road Dahl collection, and it never gets old. You MUST READ 'Mrs. Bixby and The Colonel's Coat' and 'William and Mary'

The master of a twist in the tale!
Ġiljan Agius
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this suggestion came after one of Bob's lists and I'm grateful. It had been years (decades?) since I read Roald Dahl and reading this I once again realised why he's such a loved author. In my mind the best stories in this book are the equivalent of the 3 minute perfect pop song. It may not be deep, or profound, or multilayered, but it's perfect in its execution, the format limitations and most of all in the sudden bursts of joy the perfect pop song gives you.

At the very best the stories
Cormac Healy
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A hugely enjoyable selection of short stories.

Like most people I have read several (and when I say several I mean a lot) of Roald Dahl's books for younger readers and remember thoroughly enjoying them. I also remember back in my high school days reading "The Landlady" from this selection and thoroughly enjoying it so it was with great excitement that I got stuck into this collection.

There is a large variety in the type of story here (with a general theme of some sort of twist in each story), wi
Bruno Espadana
Dark, macabre and incredibly funny. I knew some of Dahl's children's books, but had never read any of his other work, so "Kiss Kiss" was a great surprise. I loved everything about the stories, but especially the black zany humour that Dahl so perfectly masters. A great collection, and I will definitely go back for more.
Juli
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often like short stories because I feel like I never get to care for the characters or what happens, but these stories aren't meant for one to care, they're funny and mysterious and awesome. Each and every one seems normal up to a point when everything changes and they're suddenly not. Wonderfully creative and entertaining, Dahl doesn't disappoint in this one.
4triplezed
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-fiction
A very clever collection of short stories that at times left one using the imagination as to the endings. Written for its times and with that I wonder how a contemporary author would write these stories. My favourites were Pig and Georgy Porgy. Pig is just a macabre little story that made me laugh. Georgy Porgy is a very witty tale about a sadomasochistic sexually repressed vicar.
cami
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can’t wait to never deal with Dahl’s stories again. I hate uni, ugh!

Dahl is so very sexist and disrespectful towards women. Not all stories are sexist, I’m well aware of that, but still, some REALLY are and I can’t close my eyes on that aspect.
There’s not point referring to me the historical context of the 50’s/ 60’s because: I don’t care? it’s still wrong
Diane Briones™
The "BEST" adult 'short' storyteller

Classic. A master story teller with a 'nasty' twist to his plots. I have loved this book since I first read it at school. It might seem a little dated today but Roald Dahl was the master of a short story.
Nick
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'd read these before, a long time ago, but they were all brilliant short stories to read again. Dahl was a legend.
Pallavi Dhakal
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved the short stories! Roald Dahl swept me off my feet with his sinister, creepy, twisted stories.
Which story is your favourite? And please tell me why. 3 24 Apr 16, 2017 11:48AM
Kiss Kiss 6 35 Jan 05, 2015 11:41PM

• Feluda Stories
  • Poetical Works
  • Ghost Stories
  • The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism
  • After Dark (Silver John, #2)
  • Sixes and Sevens - The Complete Works of O. Henry - Vol. VII
  • Shamans Through Time
  • Younguncle Comes to Town
  • The Yale Shakespeare Complete Works

“There is nothing more tantalizing than a thing like this which lingers just outside the borders of one's memory.” 0 likes