Start by marking “Her Sister's Lie” as Want to Read:
Her Sister's Lie

Her Sister's Lie

Her Sister's Lie is a stunning psychological thriller from the bestselling author of The Bones of You, Debbie Howells.

Two sisters. A terrible secret. The ultimate revenge.

Kindle Edition
Published May 30th 2019 by Pan

Start your review of Her Sister's Lie
Debra
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
It has been ten years since Hannah Roscoe has seen her older sister, Nina. Then one evening she receives a phone call from the police informing her that her sister is dead, and that Hannah must take in her nephew, Abe as she is next of kin. Abe is withdrawn and moody and not too happy to be moving to his Aunt's home and starting a new school.

Initially, the police believe that Nina died from an accidental fall, but later determine that foul play was involved, and her death becomes a murder inves
Carrie
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Debbie Howells has become an author that for me I just immediately grab the book without worrying about those pesky little details like what the plot will actually hold this time. What can I say? I enjoy her writing style and even with her last book, Part of the Silence I still enjoyed reading even though I found it a bit predictable so it went without question I’d be reading this new psychological thriller.

As the story begins Hannah Roscoe is living alone and still reeling from a break up with
Kristy
Hannah Roscoe hasn't seen or spoken to her sister, Nina, in ten years when she receives the call that Nina is dead. The sisters have no other family, so Hannah is now guardian to her fifteen-year-old nephew, Abe, a sullen and angry boy whom she barely knows. Abe comes to live with Hannah, and soon they learn that the police are investigating Nina's death as suspicious. Simultaneously, Hannah begins experiencing strange, unexplained events that quickly have her questioning both her safety and her ...more
Mandy White
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Last year I read The Death of Her and loved it, so when Her Sister's Lie came out I jumped at the chance to read it. And I was not at all disappointed - I devoured this book in an evening. The story twists and turns so many times you really have no idea what is happening until the very end - just how I like it.

Sisters look out for each other don't they? Hannah and Nina used to be close - but for the last 10 years they have been estranged but we don't know why. Hannah has just been dumped by her
Melissa In The City
This book really drew me in from page 1. It had all the components of a solid twisty psychological thriller.
I don’t want to give anything away because the twists do come out at you left and right and unexpectedly.
I loved the “POVs” strewn throughout the chapters. Once I finished the book, those POVs made so much sense! And the title too...yes so much double meaning there.
Captivating, thrilling, creepy and intense.
4.5 solid stars.

Thank you #NetGalley, the author and the publisher for my ARC in e
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was good. I didn’t particularly like any of the characters but it didn’t change the book for me. It had a lot of twists and turns and some that shocked me. It was really thrilling and a great page turner. The book was really well written and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I definitely recommend it.
Shalini
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG OMG OMG!! This was the first book where I hated the main character and wanted bad things to happen to her. And I was so glad when it did!! What does that say about the book?!!

Ten years of non communication between sisters Nina and Hannah, ended when Hannah received a call informing her about Nina’s death, first declared as accidental then murder!! Abe, Nina’s son was brought to Hannah’s home, but there was only silence between them. A stalker was soon added to the plot along with letters of
Diane
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her Sister's Lie by Debbie Howells is a psychological thriller which will draw you into the secrets of a very dysfunctional family. The truth of Nina and Hannah is actually revealed through third person letters as you read the book. If the reader accepts the story as it is written, the reader will understand the two sisters who were abused and neglected as children, in turn, as they grow up they make some of the same mistakes as their parents. It is always the children who suffer when a parent i ...more
Jo
Pins and needles all the way. I wasn't sure where this was headed, but it was brilliant! The last few chapters I simply devoured. Debbie Howells has a gift for showing the reader the inside of a disturbed person's brain. In this book, we get to see inside several. I heartily recommend this to people who like a good psychological suspense.
ABookishRainbowSanctuary
Think I would have preferred to give this one a 3.5, but I had to round up. I always feel a bit cheated when the twist ends up being something you wouldn’t guess. But then I did sort of have a feeling.

I found it really quite awful how summer, Abe, and Jude felt about their mother. A lot of trauma there which is just heartbreaking. Was also very sad for mom and Hanah, because drug/alcohol addiction isn’t simple and isn’t easy. Was really a no win situation.

Hanah’s lack of empathy and self-conce
Sam Burrows
This was an enjoyable read but not really as described. The blurb talks about the secrets the sisters kept including from each other but I don't recall any they kept from each other. It was a little slow to start but gathered some pace towards the end. I think it may have been a bit more mysterious and psychological if the name of the person speaking carefully about Hannah hadn't preferred the paragraph. I will give Debbie the author another chance though as her writing was articulate and descri ...more
Lorrie McCullers
This book sounded like something I normally would love: a seemingly accidental death that is eventually seen as a homicide, family secrets between sisters, hints of a missing child. However, this one just never got off the ground for me. It was too slow and plodding, and the characters were more annoying than sympathetic (especially Abe, the teenage son -- HATED him!).

Do yourself a favor and read Debbie Howells' other books instead. They were much much better.
Judy
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Generally, I'm not a reader of psychological mysteries or thrillers, but this title in the new book section looked interesting to me. It turned out to be rather slow and only mildly appealing.

Hannah, the main character, is suddenly informed that her sister Nina has died, leaving Nina's son Abe in Hannah's permanent care. Abe is silent and brooding, and as would be expected of a 15 year old, not happy about being uprooted from London to a village quite some distance from his friends and routines
Kathy
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her Sister's Lie by Debbie Howells is a suspense-laden mystery that is chock full of tension and secrets.

Hannah Roscoe is still dealing with the emotional fall-out from the inexplicable end of her relationship with her boyfriend, Matt when she learns her estranged older sister, Nina Tyrell, is dead. The two sisters were once extremely close but they have not been in contact for ten years.  Hannah suddenly finds herself the guardian of Nina's fifteen year old son, Abe, and the two are soon uncomf
Paulette
Creepy, psychological thriller.
Sara Fisher
This book was a bit disappointing as the blurb promised 'riveting' and 'compulsive' reading and I didn't quite get that. The story revolves around solitary Hannah, living in the country with her dog. Her peace is shattered when her nephew, Abe comes to live with her after her estranged sisters death. There are some strange happenings for Hannah as family secrets gradually unfold. The story was very readable but just didn't quite grab me in the way I'd hoped.
C.P. Henderson
This book was pretty good. After getting further along in the book, the reader can't help but dislike Hannah. She's selfish and self-absorbed. At first, I thought maybe it's because she's a drunk but that wasn't it. The fact her sister had just died and she was more concerned with her breakup was crazy. The ending was really a good twist. This would be a great book club read to have deep discussions about.
Michele
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This wasn’t a bad book but it just didn’t do anything for me. The characters and story were boring that at times I was skipping sentences. Ending was good and wrapped up the confusion of the book..
Wendy
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book scratching my head all the way through it. Ugh. Not sure who was crazy: the characters or me for not figuring this thing out.
Megan Jones
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah and her sister Nina were once close. But they’ve not been in touch for years when Hannah learns of her sister’s death. Now Hannah is left with the care of Nina’s teenage son Abe, and the memory of the appalling secret that drove the two sisters apart. Bringing Abe into her home, Hannah finds him a difficult houseguest. Sullen, rude and uncooperative, Hannah tries to be understanding – after all, he’s a grieving boy. But when sinister things begin to happen, Hannah is forced to confront th ...more
Amanda Bartoszek
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having loved all of Debbie Howells's other books I was looking forward to reading this one. It started off very slow-paced and took me a good while to get into the story--probably until I was about halfway through and things started to speed up as information was slowly revealed and the web of lies was unravelled to reveal the truth. Certainly once I was about a third away from the end I couldn't put it down as I wanted to know the truth.

As is common with Debbie Howells's style, even though you'
Hayley
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book starts out with our main character getting a phone call saying that her sister had killed herself and that she would be having to look after her nephew. This was weird because the two girls were very estranged and had spoken to each other in years. While on paper this book is everything that I enjoy the story it just what I'm into lately but I found the characters a little flat and the story was very slow paced. Our main character has all of this suspicion on what happened to her siste ...more
Sherri Lewis
***I received an advanced e-copy of the book from Net Galley in exchange for my honest review

Hannah hasn't seen her sister in ten years when she gets a call saying her sister has died and she needs to come pick up her nephew Abe. Since she is the closest living relative, Abe is to live with her. As more facts come out, it is discovered that her sister was murdered. Strange things start happening, and Hannah becomes convinced that someone is out to get her and reveal all of her and her sister's s
Pattyh
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to read Her Sister's Lie by Debbie Howells. I have read Ms. Howell's previous novels and they are all very good.
This is a family drama that centers on two sisters, Hannah and Nina, who had a difficult upbringing and they clung to each other for comfort and support. When Nina dies unexpectedly and ruled as a murder, Hannah must look to the past and find out if the privacy they shared in childhood is linked to Nina's death.
3 stars.
Rebecca Whaley
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Suspenseful and riveting! I loved it. The characters are unique and interesting. The storyline was really good. It definitely creeped me out at times. If you like thrillers then you'll love this!
Karen Sheldon
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great surprise! This story had twists and turns to the very last page. Once I started it I didn’t want to put it down. Whoever would believe one family had so many lies..only reliable truth in the whole story was the gender of the characters.
Dagnija
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good psychological thriller, it kept my interest throughout. I hated those letters written by some of the characters, though - vindictive and boring. Perhaps those points of view could have better been expressed otherwise in the story.
brenda young
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book

The first book by this author and it won't be the last , downloaded this book because of the reviews and I'm so glad I did, thought I had it worked out then another twist is thrown in , could not put it down , would recommend.
Sue Fletcher
Didn’t love this book. It felt like it tried to hard to be clever. Instead it felt contrived more than anything. A quick read but not a great one.
Anagad23gmail.Com
I loved it. The twist at the end was shocking.
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 3 208 Aug 05, 2018 08:59AM

• Keep Her Quiet
  • Have You Seen Her
  • The Search Party
  • The Doctor
  • Her Sister's Bones (Detective Iris Locke, #1)
  • A Version of the Truth
  • Krazy 4 U
  • Thirteen More Tales of Horror
  • Cracked
  • To Tell You the Truth
  • The Killer Inside
  • Little Girl Missing (Detective Rachel Hart #1)
  • Then She Vanishes
  • Three Perfect Liars
Debbie self-published three commercial women's fiction novels before writing The Bones of You, her first psychological thriller.
Three more have followed, the most recent of which is Her Sister's Lie. Follow her on Instagram @_debbiehowells.