Start by marking “Y: The Last Man Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Y: The Last Man Omnibus

Y: The Last Man Omnibus

(Y: The Last Man #1-10)

Brian K. Vaughn's classic 60-issue post-apocalyptic series is now available in this new omnibus.

In 2002, when all living mammals with a Y chromosome suddenly simultaneously die, Yorick Brown and his pet male monkey Ampersand must figure out why they were the only two males to survive. And while this makes Yorick the most important person in the world, he trecks 10,000 mile
Published December 17th 2019 by Vertigo (first published December 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Y, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Y

Start your review of Y: The Last Man Omnibus
Katlyn Minard
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's been 2 years since I read Brian K. Vaughn's mind-blowing comic series "Y: The Last Man" and I am still processing the effect it had on me. The premise is genius. An unexpected and violent plague, in one moment, wipes out every living male creature on the planet. Every man, that is, except one -- aspiring magician Yorick Brown. Oh! And his capuchin monkey, Ampersand. Yorick has no earthly idea why he and his monkey are the only male survivors of this plague (referred to by many characters as ...more
Abhishek Iyer
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Modern pop culture is replete with variations of the apocalypse as a storytelling trope, as the main characters navigate their way through a morass of brain-loving zombies, natural disasters, radioactive kaiju monsters, and robot Nazis. In that respect, the backdrop of Y: The Last Man isn’t really revolutionary. An inexplicable outbreak results in the simultaneous death of every mammal on the planet with a Y chromosome, except twenty-something amateur escape artist Yorick Brown and his pet monke ...more
Joris
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible journey this has been. Highly recommended!
Vicki
I enjoyed this graphic-novel's unique take on a post-apocalyptic world and how it examined society's different reactions. My raring is for the series as whole; some volumes shined more than others. I highly recommend this for anyone looking for something "a little different".
Ramon Jurado
Hellread
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
A well-illustrated subpar story with an interesting premise but lacking execution. It's very varied and presented well, but the plot takes many incoherent turns.

(view spoiler)
ダンカン
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics

There is something about Y: The Last Man that I find intriguing when I was read it as a comic form in 2002. I did not finished reading its run and more than a decade later, I am thankful for an omnibus version. In six days, I finally finished reading it and what a journey this is. There are parts I truly enjoy and there are parts that I do not and overall, its enjoyable.

What I like about Y: The Last Man: This is probably bias but any plot that deals with end of a society, post-apocalyptic or fut

Peter Looles
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-comics
"Y the last man omnibus"
Something kills all the living mammals with the y chromosome. For some unknown reason Yorick and his pet monkey Ampersand are not effected by whatever killed all the other males in the world. That makes Yorick the last man alive and Ampersand the last male monkey alive. Yorick, agent 355, doctor Alison Mann and of course Ampersand go on an adventure to repopulate the planet. To do that they need to find what killed all the males, what kept Yorick and Ampersand alive and c
Ryan Stanton
Y haven’t I read this sooner?

For those that know comics (and many who don’t) this is one of the, if not THE, quintessential independent comic books. It’s heralded by many but I never bothered with it until a recent recommendation.

That was a mistake.

This book isn’t perfect. While the cliffhangers are often amazingly placed, the resolution sometimes feels like a cheap cop out. Similarly, some of the plot threads feel like they ultimately amount to shaggy dog stories. While Pia Guerra and Goran S
Derek
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm conflicted on this one. I thought there was some excellent social commentary on what a post-Y-chromosome society would look like with respect to how certain professions would either be nearly decimated or over-populated due to the gender discrepancies of various occupations. And I thought there was some interesting character development of many of the leading figures - some of which had a superb "female empowerment" theme. But then at times, the story would go off the rails and present a rat ...more
Noemi
On the one hand, I thought that a series set an almost entirely female world would pass the Bechdel test more frequently. On the other hand, it *is* titled "The Last Man" so I probably should have known better.

An interesting concept. (view spoiler)
Monique
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is on my to-review list. For now, all I have to say is this, if you have never read a graphic novel, stop what you're doing and go to Amazon! This is probably the best 'break you in graphic novel' you're ever going to find. If you think comics are for kids, you're wrong. This has all the intelligence, wit, and intrigue of some of the best novels sitting on our bookshelves with a bonus - stunning artwork. It's almost cinematic!

So, do not delay! Purchase this 10 volume graphic novel series a
Stephen
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
It's an interesting premise: all the males in the world perish except our protagonist Yorick, who is saved for a mysterious reason and must figure out how to survive in the aftermath.

It falls into the same trap that Lost did, of making a big deal about why the plague happened without having a satisfying payoff for all the buildup. Like in Lost, though, the characters and their histories and interactions are the important parts of the story, and these are quite satisfying.
Kevin Hull
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
All the dudes of all the mammalian species die instantly, except for this one guy and his monkey. Yeah, pretty cool premise. But in comes the problem of a world of almost only women, imagined by a man. So what we get is a bunch of females who are violent, militaristic, obsessed with the patriarchy, and don't seem to miss getting it on with the boys, even after years. Hmmm....

Not to say it doesn't have its high points, it does. It's well paced, the artwork is solid, and the tragic, bittersweet fi
Anna Mosena
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent comic. I had some issues with it, but it was still a great and provocative read. It's hard to say more without spoiling some things. My concern early on was that there was a lot straw feminism and an antithetical feel to the last man and his character . . . rather than being resolved, I'd say those issues were "explored," and the resulting stories of humans seeking life or death were overall quite satisfying.

If you're debating whether or not to read this for its premise, li
Jason
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best comics I've ever read start to finish. I'm a huge fan of Saga now, so I went back to read Y and wasn't disappointed. The art isn't spectacular, but fits the story perfectly. It has humor and heart and finishes absolutely perfectly. As I was going through the volumes, I thought what a great movie this would be. Apparently, it almost happened, but the project fell apart. That's unfortunate.
Nathan
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Despite its missteps - and make no mistake, there are certainly missteps - this story is fun, clever, and packed full of allusion and literary/historical reference in the way Alan Moore would have been if he were less pretentious and more cheeky. The political references feel very dated, but the comic as a whole manages to depict a wide range of worldviews without being too offensively stereotypical against any. The art is good, and I actually found 355's background story quite moving.
Javier Estrada
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was in high school or just about after when I graduated. I picked it up at a Borders bookstore. I remember being fully immersed in the story. I thought the characters were compelling. It was an impactful read when I initially read it, and I even let a friend borrow, and they thought it was terrific as well.
Molly G
Some mixed feelings ideologically, but definitely phenomenal storytelling and artwork and WOW.

Has the Grossman "Magicians" core element of: genre/central "what if" doesn't provide characters with escape/reprieve from essential reality.
Nick Brown
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Starts off strong, but is probably one volume too long so it doesn't have a satisfying ending. Fantastic writer and art though, Brian K. Vaughan is consistently one of the best comic writers in the business.
Kenneth Underwood
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simply fantastic! If you hunger for great writing that explores the human psyche in a post-apocalyptic setting, this is a MUST READ!!!!!
Doug
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Some folks disparaged the ending, but I quite enjoyed it.
Kassie
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such an interesting twist on the end of the world situation. I'm still thinking about it.
Christopher
First off, why four and not five if I am also going to mark it as a favorite?

This is a very long comic book spanning some 60 or so issues across more than 1400 pages. There are parts that aren't that good, not that exciting, even frankly dumb, and there are parts that clearly had intention behind them that just didn't quite pan out all that well.

That being said, all the rest of it, about 84% of it, is really well done. So well done, especially spanning so long a story, that I have to give major
Aya
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
More like 3.5 stars. I feel like I liked this more than I should. To its credit, the premise and storylines are very compelling - the characters' story arcs are interesting and fleshed out, some ideas and issues brought up in this still feels relevant today. But the inherent woke-ness of said premise is undercut with what I'm thinking is deliberate and completely unnecessary homophobia/transphobia sprinkled in. Makes for an overall great read albeit a bit jarring at times.

Also - I know that some
Nick
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The pages fly by in this graphic novel. It’s a glob trotting mystery with some great artwork throughout! The ending is very bittersweet and will stick with you. Definitely recommend reading if you’re somewhat new to comics/graphic novels. Just be warned it was written in 2003 so there is some language that definitely doesn’t fly today.
sohrab sitaram
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic artwork, amazing story line and concept, just loved it - a must read and one of my favourite comic books !
MJ
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Though the language and some of the actions don't really keep up with the times it's still a very good story. It uses a lot of racial, homophobic and the r word. Just be prepared for that.
Eastham Erik
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
An undeniable great entry into comic book history, but like some of the other series from the late 90's & early 00's, it is starting to feel a bit dated; meaning if it were released today, it would likely be lost among all the other fantastic books available; the messages however, still hold strong. The comment is meant purely to temper expectations for first time readers of this story, which for comic aficionados, should pick up and read.

Vaughan writing a story with a single male surrounded by
T.A.
Mar 18, 2020 added it
Oh. My. Goodness. Where to start with this book. When Y the Last Man came out I was just a Soldier fresh out of training and it single handedly kept me coming back to my local comic shop month after month.

Over a decade later, I got my hands on the books that combined several issues. Now THIS.

This book is worth every second I've spent reading it, re-reading it, pondering it and re-living its moments. It's most notable achievement is how very much it leaves unsaid.

It makes no pretentious razzle-d

• Scott Pilgrim the Complete Series (Scott Pilgrim, #1-6)
  • The Walking Dead, Compendium 4
  • Invincible, Compendium Two
  • The Walking Dead, Compendium 3
  • Preacher, Book 2
  • Sentient
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Y: The Last Man (10 books)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step (Y: The Last Man, #3)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword (Y: The Last Man, #4)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl (Y: The Last Man, #6)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, #7)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores (Y: The Last Man, #10)