Start by marking “Heir of Lies (Black Dawn Series Book One)” as Want to Read:
Heir of Lies (Black Dawn Series Book One)

Heir of Lies

(Black Dawn #1)

“Hope was a dangerous thing. It could consume every dream and make them take flight, becoming wild daydreams in one’s heart and mind. Or hope could incinerate everything you thought you knew, burning you down to your core, leaving you raw and exposed for the world.”

Emory Fae has only known one thing—life at The Academy, a school for those who have special abilities.
Hardcover
Expected publication: April 21st 2020 by MM Books (first published February 14th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Heir of Lies, please sign up.
Mallory McCartney Absolutely you can read it before and will be a great introduction to the characters further explored in Black Dawn. :)…moreAbsolutely you can read it before and will be a great introduction to the characters further explored in Black Dawn. :) (less)
Mallory McCartney Sorry about the late reply! You can find the ebook on amazon through kindle :)…moreSorry about the late reply! You can find the ebook on amazon through kindle :) (less)

Start your review of Heir of Lies (Black Dawn Series Book One)
MischaS_
***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

For me, it is always a good test if an author publishes a prequel or 0,5 story if you can understand it without reading the first book in the series. It should be understood, but sometimes it misses the mark.
I did not read Black Dawn, it was in my to-read pile for a very long time, and I thought this might be a good place where to start. However, I found myself grasping and confused by the story and the
Candace Robinson
So, last night I did a reread of this book since there will be a prequel coming out after the summer, and my daughter will be out for summer break stopping me from doing anything! I also had to sit down ACOWAR for a bit after getting mad before I pick it back up! This book was even better the second time around, and I feel like the way the author describes things, I feel like I'm right there! Loved the characters, especially Brokk! He's my little precious baby that I want to hold and coddle. ...more
Carrie
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Black Dawn by Mallory McCartney is a young adult fantasy read with a touch of romance added into the story. A young woman has been living her life not knowing that she is from a distant land that is plagued in war until she is pulled right into the middle of it all. The story is told by alternating the point of view between several of the characters with each chapter in the book.

I can easily sum up my feelings with this one in one simple complaint, the book is relatively short so I don’t think
Sheila Goicea
Reread 02/20/2019

description
"Years ago there was a girl with an unusual ability. Her name was Emory Fae."

Content Warning: Borderline possession? Violence
I think I may have underrated this book the first time around. While I found it enjoyable before, I found it doubly so this time through! Yes, this book is a little short for my liking. I cannot complain, though, because it is jammed packed full of goodness from start to finish. Especially finish. That's not a proper sentence, but whatever.

Due to this
Anja H.
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*3 REBELLIOUS STARS*

The plot and world of Black Dawn sounded really interesting and unique when I read the blurb, but I honestly think the execution could have been better.

This story is about Emory Fae, a girl whisked away from her normal life and brought to an alternate world called Kiero, where she discovers she is basically a queen with superpowers. She joins the rebellion that tries to overthrow the evil current ruler.

Sounds interesting right? But because this book is extremely short and
Dianne
What happened to destroy friendships, trusts and a land that once prospered? Mallory McCartney brings the story of the “before time” of her fabulous young adult fantasy, BLACK DAWN to life in RENEGADE! Although a “prequel,” this is a full-blown novel in its own merit and the world building, as well as the rest of the story is a thrilling ride through dark magic, deceit, secrets and loyalties tested beyond the breaking point.

All Adair, Emory, Brokk and Memphis wanted was the truth of what was
Candace Robinson
So, this is the prequel to Black Dawn which I was ecstatic to read an ARC of! An excellent prequel that shows how a villain became a villain which was my favorite part! Plus I got to see other characters such as my favorite ... Brokk!!! The writing and the world building were amazing, and I seriously can’t wait for the sequel to Black Dawn!
Michelle
Black Dawn is the first book in a new adult fantasy series by Mallory McCartney. I have classified this book as new adult because the character are in their 20s, but the content is very clean so I can very easily see this also appealing to younger readers and lovers of young adult fantasies. Black Dawn is a really cool story, and is the set up for what looks like it is going to be an awesome series. I really enjoyed
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog

*a copy was provided by NetGalley*

This book just proves how I judge a book by its cover.Black Dawnis gifted with such a mesmerizing cover, it is impossible not to catch your eye and make you want to know more about what lies beyond the cover.

Black Dawn is a very shortdystopian/YA fantasy.It was slow go and confusing at the beginning, since it started in an awkward place and like 100 POVs.Honestly, this book has an interesting story. It has a very great concept too. It just
Alycia
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, thank you to Mallory McCartney for sending me an ARC of her book. It was a real pleasure to discover your world!

I have to say that at the beginning of the novel, I had some difficulties to understand where we were going. We are immediately put into the plot and we have to discover who is who and which role each character plays. Very quickly, the plot becomes really interesting and we finally understand how the characters are linked to each other. What I really like about this story
Mallory McCartney
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
#Allwillbeunmade ...more
Sabrina
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Checkout my full review + giveaway on my blog! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

Black Dawn is an excellent short read. This story is told in 3 different perspectives and I found this to add more to the story. Each character is multifaceted. There was never a dull moment. Though I felt the ending was a bit rushed and I wished it was slowed down a bit. I would say this is a New Adult considering the age of the characters but those who normally read YA would enjoy Black Dawn.

There are so
☆Stephanie☆
Title: Black Dawn
Author: Mallory McCartney
Publisher: Clean Reads Publishing, 2017 (February 14)
Genre: YA Fantasy

**I received a copy of this book free from Xpresso Reads and the author in exchange for an honest review**

This review can be found on my Blog, TeacherofYA’s Tumblr, or my Goodreads page

My Review

Credit is definitely due for this amazingly beautiful cover, which sucked me in hardcore. It’s stunning. It’s why I emailed back and said, “Yes PLEASE” to this book.

I’m still torn about that
Esther
This book started out as a very promising read. Fast paced, with a wide variety of characters and an interesting new world. Towards the end, the book felt very rushed and I wished it would've been 100 pages longer, so some things would be explained a bit better. This book could've easily gotten 4 stars, if it didn't feel so rushed.

A longer review can be found at Bite Into Books

Not a bad book, I liked the different POV's and the world was very promising as well. The story felt rushed at the
Nadine
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Black Dawn is a poorly constructed novel about a seemingly normal young woman pulled from her life into the middle of a rebellion.

The biggest issue with this novel is that everything is left vague or not explained. The world building is nonexistent, the magic system/abilities is poorly explained nor will it ever be explained since the characters themselves admit they don’t know where the magic comes from, and the history of the world itself is barely explained. The reader is then left with a
Natalia
I was given a free copy of this by the fabulous and sweet author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you again, Mal, for giving me the chance to read your amazing debut novel. It was brilliant!

Here we go!

”To have lost everything but have hope to rebuild the future is the strongest weapon in the world.”

Emory Fae is the last living heir of the Fae family, and the answer to the Academy’s problems with one man—nay, self-proclaimed (mad) king of Kiero, a planet with people who have
Melleny
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.75 Stars **

If you would like to see all my thoughts on this book, be sure to check out the review on my blog:

www.abooktropolis01.blogspot.co.za

But here is a snippet and overview of what I thought:

Overall, I really really enjoyed this book and found myself flying through it. There was definitely a hiccup or two but I think that it will be resolved in the prequel as well as the sequel that is coming out middle of this year and the start of next year respectively. I am excited to see how the
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
This was so good! What an awesome fantasy! It's an adult book because the characters are older but I can definitely see YA crossover appeal! I need book 2 now!!
Mandy Lai
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Combination of Modern, Future and Barbarians
4.8/5 stars

Black Dawn is about this girl from a modern world, suddenly was taken by soldiers form another world. She was then discovered to be the heir of the another world. However it is already shattered and people are suffering.

I really like the character developments of the book, everyone are so flawed. That's what a reader needs, flawed characters. I really hate perfect characters they're so annoying. Despite how awesome the characters
Mallory McCartney
May 09, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
The Black Dawn series is re- releasing and “Heir of Lies” (book one) is coming April 21 2020! This edition will have an exclusive map and bonus content!
Nildene
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, okay, I thought this was a pretty good find.

Some technical things I was not expecting was that the entire book was shorter than any other fantasy I'd read (not including novellas, of course) and because of this we don't really see a lot of world-building or character development – I guess what it lacked in those areas, it made up for in being very fast-paced and action-packed with plenty of plot twists. It kept me engaged, though I think it would have still benefitted from maybe a bit more
kariny v
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5 stars* I received a free copy for the blog tour! Come join the tour and giveaway on my blog!
Floryie
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I didn't get the symbolism of the book cover till the end when Memphis meets the raiders. I too was in awe of the surprise and the author's writing. She knows how to add the sneaky twist here and there to keep me on my toes.

Usually the blurb is what makes me pick up a book. But this one's synopsis was kind of general with only a few intrigue points. The cover was what made me take a chance and I am glad of that!! I have fallen in love with the characters and the world built around them.

The
Lauren
Feb 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star
Note: Received a review copy of this book via Rockstar Book Tours. This in no way influences my opinion.

After reading that blurb, I was definitely looking forward to reading this book. However, the book was found lacking and I actually ended up DNFing it! I felt so bored reading this book and I felt so detached from everything that was happening.

From the very first page, we are literally thrown into this world that we know nothing about. There are issues we know nothing about and I feel like
Cheryl
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in this series. The author does a great job of transporting the reader into the this world of Kiero. From the beginning to the middle and finally the end, there was non stop action. Plus, all of the characters were strong. This included Emory. Once, she got over her initial shock of learning she is the true heir to the throne. I liked that Emory didn't question everything in disbelief. The story felt natural with the flow and all of the events that took place within the ...more
Rendz
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
3.75/5 stars.

You can also see the full review here: https://readingwithrendz.wordpress.co...

*I was provided a free copy in exchange for an honest review*

I was really excited going into this book and came out very satisfied. This was a great fantasy full of action, suspense and thrill. There were some things I stumbled on while reading, but overall this was a solid story. It was short, quick and I'm very excited for the sequel.

What I liked

Characters: There were a lot of great characters in this
Hot for Literature
Emmory Fae is an average teen, that is until, she is swept away to the magical kingdom of Keiro where she is the rightful heiress to the throne. While once a beautiful and magical place, Keiro is now a war-ridden world under the control of evil Adair. Can their Queen help the Black Dawn rebellion take back Keiro and restore freedom to the land?

This story is full of secrets, betrayal, love and loss! There were so many plot twists, it had me glued to the pages wondering just what would happen
Shirley Cuypers
Original review

Black Dawntells the story Emory, Memphis and Brokk. Emory is the long lost queen and she must save her people from Adair, their mad king.
Emory didn't know she was a queen or that she had a special ability until Memphis and Brokk brought her back to Kiero. It's hard for her to believe everything they say because she doesn't have her memories of what happened in Kiero when she was younger... Memphis and Brokk are trying to help her by giving her, her old memories, and are trying to
Aneesa
Received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review,

OMG! GUYS!!! How in the world do I explain myself to you without revealing anything? This book might have been a short read BUT it was so much more than that! I was on the edge of my bed the whole time I was reading this! Honestly some of the things that are revealed I did not expect.

Emory, Brokk and Memphis are childhood best friends. They all grew up together in the academy (we get to witness some sweet as well as foreshadowing
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

This book is a lot of fun !, I'm surprised, I've found a great story with an amazing amount of diverse characters and alot of magic.

4/5 Stars

You can find this one and more of my reviews on my blog A Book. A Thought.

In general, you never know what you'll find when you read a short book, much less if it's fantasy. Of course the lack of development of the world can be a problem, in this case I would have liked to know a little bit more, but even so, I don't think that this has affected at all my
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Marrow Charm (The Gate Cycle, #1)
  • Outrun the Wind
  • Hope
  • Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes (Sweet Tea, #1)
  • Talented (Talented Saga, #1)
  • To Dream Is To Die (The Dead Dreamer, #1)
  • Ozland (Everland, #3)
  • White Stag (Permafrost, #1)
  • Ready On Set Drama (Booker Brothers Detective Agency #3)
  • Umberland (Everland, #2)
  • Memoirs of a Superhero
  • Durable Goods (Cole and Callahan #2)
  • Going Down (Wish Upon A  Stud, #1)
  • Man Candy (Wish Upon A Stud, #2)
  • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: The Poetry of Mister Rogers
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Unspoken (Unspoken, #1)
  • Will
Mallory McCartney currently lives in Sarnia, Ontario with her husband and their three dachshunds Link, Lola and Leonard. When she isn’t working on her next novel or reading, she can be found day dreaming about fantasy worlds and hiking. Other favorite pastimes involve reorganizing perpetually overflowing bookshelves and seeking out new coffee and dessert shops.

Black Dawn (2 books)
  • Queen to Ashes (Black Dawn Series Book Two)