Start by marking “Malorie (Bird Box, #2)” as Want to Read:
Malorie (Bird Box, #2)

Malorie

(Bird Box #2)

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  6,320 ratings  ·  1,253 reviews
Now from the mind of a true master of suspense comes the next chapter in Bird Box. This time, Malorie is front and center, and she will confront the dangers of her world head-on.
Published July 21st 2020 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Malorie, please sign up.
Nina whats any sequel's point?to go on with the storyline, to develop the world, to satisfy its fans with more wonderful stories. if everyone thought like …morewhats any sequel's point?to go on with the storyline, to develop the world, to satisfy its fans with more wonderful stories. if everyone thought like you, they'd be no chamber of secret, no catching fire, no two towers and more. don't you want one of your favourite books to have a sequel?(less)
Kira It does and it doesn't. It gives a few more details but typical for Malerman, it does not give what I would call a satisfactory explanation of what th…moreIt does and it doesn't. It gives a few more details but typical for Malerman, it does not give what I would call a satisfactory explanation of what the creatures are, where they came from, what they want with humanity (and/or Earth), etc. Malerman does not write typical science fiction, more speculative fiction which he does not feel the need to explain. I've read two of his other books besides Bird Box and Malorie and they are the same - no explanation. I won't be reading any more of his books.(less)

·  6,320 ratings  ·  1,253 reviews

Start your review of Malorie (Bird Box, #2)
karen
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

possible oblique spoilers for Bird Box.

i wouldn't have thought that Bird Box needed a sequel six years later (and 2 years after the disappointing—YEAH, I SAID IT—netflix adaptation), but here we are and here it is and honestly? i thought it was great. when i first read Bird Box, the premise blew me away; answering the question, "what if lovecraft was actually scary?" by centering a horror novel around an unfaaathomable beastie, or species of beastie, that broke the mind, driving
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I first hear about one of my favorite apocalyptic horror read’s sequel is coming out I asked myself: is it really necessary? I was already happy with the outcome: even though it was evasive, questioning but still promising.

Well, I’m getting my words back! I hate the movie adaptation of Netflix and I wish they won’t work with the same screenwriters team for this sequel: it is SO MUCH BETTER to be wasted!

It’s still claustrophobic, dark, disturbing, irritatingly apocalyptic, pessimistic make
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
4.5 Stars * I got the hardback at my used bookstore! I lucked out and I loved the book!

I thought the book was fantastic! It started out with shit going down right out of the gate! I didn’t expect the turn of events but loved it all the same!! I hope they make a movie out of this one. And I freaking love the cover!

After some things happen, Malorie and the kids have their own home and the kids are teens!! They growed up 😃

There are a few different revelations that I thought were awesome!! I won’t
Jonathan Janz
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
MALORIE: A BIRD BOX NOVEL Review

The version I read was a pre-ARC file that Josh received from his editor, but judging from the file, I believe this will be the final version of the novel.

And what a novel it is.

My objectives with this pseudo-review are twofold:

a) I want to avoid any and all spoilers. The last thing I want to do is ruin this experience for any of you.

b) I’d like to share my feelings about the book as clearly as I can.

So with the above two objectives in mind, I’ve created a Q&
Gabby
I loved this. I read this entire book in one day because I couldn’t put it down. After loving Bird Box I was pretty stoked about this sequel, but then I saw some mixed reviews coming in and I didn’t want to get my hopes up too high and get let down, but this book was everything I wanted it to be and more. This is a perfect mix of mystery, horror, and psychological horror and fear of the unknown. I love that this book takes place ten years after the events of the first book and we are following M ...more
Char
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beginning at the same place we left off in BIRD BOX only a few years later at the school for the blind, MALORIE takes us on another wild ride!

As with everything in the BIRD BOX world, the school does not remain safe for long. Once again, Malorie goes on the road and discovers a safe place to raise her family, all still living by the fold. They are comfortable for many years, (Olympia and Tom are now 16), until a man arrives are their camp. He says he's from the census, and has printed papers wit
Charlotte May
This is...unexpected??
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cemetery-dance
Review originally published at Cemetery Dance:
From my review of Bird Box in 2018:

Our protagonist, Malorie, is young and a little naive. There is a global calamity going on and she seems very preoccupied with her own circumstances. As a reader, you are concerned with our protagonist’s perspective—can she navigate through this story safely for us? I wanted a more reliable, capable protagonist to be honest but this is a horror novel and I came prepared for th
Susanne  Strong
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Creepy to the Freakin Max! Way to knock it out of the park Josh Malerman!

You know that dark, ominous, foreboding feeling you get where the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end? YEAH, that happens in “Malorie” by Josh Malerman and it happens often. “Malorie” is the sequel to “Bird Box” and it’s a freaking doozie!

That atmospheric feeling is omnipresent through much of this novel. I personally felt it as soon as the first “creatures” appeared. All I can say is: Holy Sh&t!

“Malorie” is dar
Konstantin
Jul 21, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The ending - and the twists - are straight out of a Lifetime movie, and the introspection and (frequent) psychological moments came off as just plain flimsy.

It had a promising beginning, but with the implausible plot that quickly deteriorated into a B-rated action movie. Very disappointing.
Blaine
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library, 2020
Even someone who appears kindhearted might glance out a window. Even someone abrasive might never. The old constructs of good and bad have long been replaced with safe and unsafe. Are you a safe person? She thinks she is. She knows she is.
...

I found Bird Box to be
Karen
Aug 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bird Box was a hit for me.. a five star read!
This one was just ok in my opinion.
It started out good and then... meh..
Bird Box was just so intense and fast moving....
not this one!
I really wanted to give my fellow
Michigander a rave review on this, so I’m sad
it didn’t work for me!
Carol
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
A DARK LIFE CONTINUES.......

It all begins where BIRDBOX ended, The Jane Tucker School for the Blind. Two years have passed.

"Malorie stands against the brick wall of a classroom. The door is locked. She is alone. The lights are off. She is blindfolded. Outside in the hall, violence has begun."

Escape....the only answer.

Many more years of remote isolation pass. Another dangerous journey is on the horizon. The creatures are everywhere. But there's a goal now....a reason to leave safety.

Tom is ex

Dannii Elle
The sequel we didn't know we needed...

In Bird Box Malerman created a world just like our own, but one where horrors were in abundance just beyond every closed eyelid. These horrors were unknown and uncategorised but instantly infected those who witnessed them with an insanity that saw its only outlet in the destruction of the self or those around them.

Malorie has lived in this world for twelve long years. Her two children are now in their teens and this reality has been the only one they have ev
Matt
Aug 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
After enjoying The Bird Box a great deal, I was eager to get my hands on this sequel by Josh Malerman to see how things progressed. In a story that offers some interesting continuity and progression, Malerman did some things well and others that I could have done without. Malorie has been living at The Jane Tucker School for the Blind over the past number of years. With all the protections in place, her children, Tom and Olympia, have come to accept that this is how things will be forever. When ...more
Frank Phillips
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars, rounded up. For some reason this time around I didn't like Malorie near as much, and actually found her to be irritating as she came across very hateful and closed-minded, which might very well have been Malerman's intent?? I can only imagine how someone, normally positive and optimistic, might change after 17 years of wearing blindfolds and living in fear! Now that both small children from Bird box are grown and 16-year-old teenagers, we get to know them and the book alternates in pe ...more
“I was waiting for a literal message, I think. Waiting for a knock at the door, someone to come tell us it was over. It’s the ultimate fantasy for those of us from the old world, isn’t it? Word that the whole nightmare has come to an end?”
So eerily reminiscent of present times, right?

Malorie is the sequel to Josh Malerman's successful novel Bird Box, and it revisits Malorie and her now adolescent children a decade later at the camp Bird Box abruptly ended at. A tempting piece of new
Michelle
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Malerman has done it again!!!

This book begins right where Bird Box ends and it starts with a bang when Malorie and her kids, now teenagers, are on the run again fleeing a nightmare at The Janet Tucker School for the Blind.

I mean, the very idea of a creature that is so incomprehensible to the human mind that people lose their sanity at the mere sight of them? Fucking genius.

How could you NOT want to read this???

This book will have you sitting on the edge of your seat hoping and praying that th
J.D. Barker
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How do you follow up the worldwide phenomenon that is BIRD BOX? Exactly like this. Eerie and deliciously dark, MALORIE offers an unsettling glimpse into a world gone black, one lit only by the spark of hope. This is one of those books you'll devour in a single sitting. Releases July 2020.
Dennis
Just like it's predecessor, I finished Malorie in one sitting. When I read Bird Box prior to the Netflix film release, I was stunned at it's atmospheric, claustrophobic horror and couldn't put it down. To say that Malorie is similar would be an understatement. Taking place immediately following the end on the first book, we then flash-forward a decade into the apocalypse and see the world in different light. With Malorie, Tom, and Olympia working together as a family, they get peculiar, ...more
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
When I heard that Josh Malerman would be releasing a sequel to Bird Box, my first thought was that he was just trying to cash in on the ridiculously massive success of the Netflix movie adaption.

After that initial reaction, I was like You know what... whatever. I'll read it. And so I did and holy mother forking shirt balls. You guys this book was A-MA-ZING.

It was so much better than it's predecessor, I think. I saw the movie. I didn't read the book. Oops. But I still loved it more.

This book goe
Liviu Szoke
Let's say almost close to perfection or almost as good as „Bird Box”, which was stunning. So, a 4.5 stars from me.
I could say I was expecting the final, although is still surprised me a lot. And in a good way.
I wasn't expecting the huge surprize that comes near the end, this I can admit it.
So, the atmosphere is still there, also the chill and the suspense. The children are teens now, the creatures are creepier than ever, the love, the cries, the worries, the folds, the journey, another journey,
Samantha
Apr 21, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am so conflicted on this... Bird Box works so well as a standalone, I don't know where the story could continue from where it ended. 😬
Sonja Arlow
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was ok

Just a word of warning, once you are finished reading this dont discuss it with anyone. I just had a long chat about the book with a friend and we complained so much about some of the irrational twists at the end it made me lower my rating.

Basically the story started really strong and didn't end so well. Just like this horse ....

The biggest appeal of the first book was the novelty of a world where you are not allowed to open your eyes. It was a creepy, slow burner that really played on
Regina
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Every time I picked up this book, I couldn’t shake the earworm of Amy Winehouse’s “Valerie.” So with my apologies:

Well last time she went out by herself
And she rowed across the water
And she thought of the creatures, what they’re doing
And in her head painted a picture

But now her kids are grown,
Well she still lives by the fold
And they’ve missed seeing the world
And they want to be more bold
Son Tom is a rover
Even if you still shouldn’t see
Why don't you go look for more, Malorie? …doo doo doo… Malor
Mindi
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has been on my Most Anticipated Books of 2020 list as soon as I heard it was happening. I read BIRD BOX way back in 2014 when it was first published, and I've been a Malerman fan ever since. When he announced that a follow up was coming I was so excited. The world had just experienced the amazing Netflix movie that was adapted from that book, and so it was perfect timing for a sequel. I needed to revisit that world and check in on Malerie and her family. All of a sudden I realized that ...more
Marialyce
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was certainly a worthy sequel to the original Birdbox by Josh Malerman. I think that if you liked the first one, you certainly would enjoy this one.

Malorie is once again on the road to find some form of peace. She is accompanied by her two children now grown as seventeen years have passed, as they have been hiding out in an old deserted camp. When she learns of the possibility that family might still be alive, she agrees to leave the place of supposed safety to seek out with her childr
Malina Skrobosinski
Well... he did it... Josh Malerman did not disappoint.

You know how it goes, when you hear there's a follow-up to one of your favorites, and immediately you get excited, but then quickly worry comes creeping in.. "will it be as good as the first?" YES folks, it is... it's as good as the first. In some ways, I found it more satisfying than Bird Box.

It starts at The Jane Tucker School for the Blind. Two years have passed, Malorie realizes it's no longer safe, it's time for her and the children to
Alma Katsu
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You may be wondering if this book can be as good as Bird Box. Worry no longer: it's a worthy sequel and completely entertaining in its own right. It pays homage to the characters you loved in the first book while exploring new ground. It asks not only the right questions, but ones you may not have considered. And it is incredibly propulsive: I read it in two days.

It's a wholly original sequel, which may sound like an oxymoron, but if anyone can pull off the impossible, it's Josh Malerman.
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
I got it I got it I got it I got it

This is the first time ever I have actually pre-ordered a book. In hardback. And paid full price.

Cannot freaking wait.
__________
4.5 for now but I’ll see how I feel in a few days. RTC.

• Survivor Song
  • Đứa Trẻ Hư
  • 愚者のエンドロール [Gusha no Endorōru]
  • And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini - Expert Book Review & Analysis
  • The Christmas Pact
  • Left For Dead
  • The Shelf
  • The Other Passenger
  • Baptism of Fire (The Witcher, #3)
  • Imaginary Friend
  • Precious You
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness #1)
  • The Lions of Fifth Avenue
  • Cujo
  • Siege Line (Reawakening Trilogy #3)
  • Javelin Rain (Reawakening Trilogy #2)
  • Gemini Cell (Reawakening Trilogy #1)
Josh Malerman is the author of BIRD BOX and the singer/songwriter for the band THE HIGH STRUNG.

Bird Box (2 books)
  • Bird Box (Bird Box, #1)

Articles featuring this book

Flowers, birds, and sunshine all return in the spring, and so do many of our favorite book series with their next installments. Some of this...
“I’m fine,” Malorie yells. “I’m fucking fine.” 1 likes
“Despite the behavior by some that she considered unfathomably dangerous only fourteen days ago, she also gets it. People in the new world fall into two categories: safe and unsafe. But who’s to say which lives the better, fuller life?” 1 likes