Start by marking “The Oasis This Time: Living and Dying with Water in the West” as Want to Read:
The Oasis This Time: Living and Dying with Water in the West

The Oasis This Time: Living and Dying with Water in the West

Published April 2nd 2019 by Torrey House Press

To ask other readers questions about The Oasis This Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oasis This Time

Start your review of The Oasis This Time: Living and Dying with Water in the West
Charlie Quimby
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: colorado-west
I have placed Rebecca Lawton's The Oasis This Time on my shelf with other fine books about water in the west—Beyond the Hundredth Meridian, Cadillac Desert and The Secret Knowledge of Water.

The Oasis This Time belongs there because of how it supplements the historical sweeping views of Stegner and Reisner with the intimate, Childs-like familiarity of a desert rat. (Lawton is a former river guide as well as stream geologist.) Like the others, she recognizes the life-and-death contradictions of w
Cameron Scott
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lawton's voice is a soft exploration of the harsh realities, attachments, and breaks of the desert. Science minded, but also with observations of the gut, there is a young soul in this collection who has fallen in love with the desert and in growing older must process the desert and its contradictions more deeply.

A must read if you love the desert, water in the desert, and ruminations there-of. Favorite essays in this collection included A Lot to Learn, Inappropriation, and Three Days to Be Her
Janée Baugher
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book's publisher, Torrey House Press, has the tagline, "Voices for the land," and that's exactly what this exquisite collection of essays is. Lawton's point-of-view is sagacious without being preachy and heartful without being sentimental. This book informs as well as offers insights into the myriad of ways that humans connect with water. Brava, Lawton, for chronicling your lifelong dedication to conservation, for it's a kind reminder to us all that water, as with life, is precious.
Ginny Short
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book. I like Lawton's Reading Water: Lessons from the River. This one promised more than it gave.

“Once upon a time,” Lawton offers in the opening sentence of Everybody Was So Nice, “I wanted to write a book about water.” And then another, and then another… The Oasis This Time is Ms. Lawton’s fifth book about water, a subject that she obviously thinks long and deeply about. From her first book Reading Water Lawton has shown us her obsession with water.

I say that comp
Susan Gaines
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't often read essay collections, but like many of us who grew up in the West, I'm obsessed with water, and its lack. These essays offer a naturalist's mix of science, empathy and storytelling that somehow does what an elegy does: helps us understand--and grieve for--the lost landscapes, waterways and wild places of the West, as it succumbs to more than a century of overuse, abuse, and, finally, climate change.
Ian
Jan 31, 2020

• What You Have Heard Is True: A Memoir of Witness and Resistance
  • The Last Person to Hear Your Voice
  • City of Darkness, City of Light
  • The Cat Who Moved a Mountain (Cat Who... #13)
  • Franny and Zooey
  • Gilead
  • Toxic Flora: Poems
  • Handwriting
  • Hannah and the Mountain: Notes toward a Wilderness Fatherhood
Rebecca Lawton, a former Grand Canyon whitewater guide, is the author of several books about rivers and the boating life. She won the Ellen Meloy Fund Award for Desert Writers and the Waterston Desert Writers Prize, was a San Francisco Chronicle best-selling author for Reading Water: Lessons from the River, and was a 2014-2015 Fulbright scholar in arts and humanities (University of Alberta). Her d ...more

News & Interviews