Start by marking “Dr. Seuss's Horse Museum” as Want to Read:
Dr. Seuss's Horse Museum

Dr. Seuss's Horse Museum

A never-before-published Dr. Seuss book about creating and looking at art!

Based on a manuscript and sketches discovered in 2013, this audiobook is like a visit to a museum--with a horse as your guide!

Explore how different artists--including Picasso, George Stubbs, Rosa Bonheur, Alexander Calder, Jacob Lawrence, Deborah Butterfield, Franz Marc, Jackson Pollock--have seen
Audio CD
Published September 3rd 2019 by Listening Library (Audio)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Seuss's Horse Museum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Seuss's Horse Museum

Start your review of Dr. Seuss's Horse Museum
Calista
This story was found in a box with ‘What Pet should I get?’ in 2013. Dr. Seuss had completed all but 4 types of Modern art. Andrew Joyner did go in and edit and add the modern art section. The idea is Seuss’s. He made a television show about art and it’s a shame that the show was lost. The script turned into this book.

I love the way he uses his style to educate people on art. We all see an object, but then an artist sees something different and unique and they share their vision with us. It’s so
Jon Nakapalau
So happy to have found this lost work of the good doctor! Great book that introduces young children to iconic works of art that interpret what a horse is - Andrew Joyner is a fantastic illustrator who does a fine job interpreting this unfinished work!
Tara Strosnider
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Neil R. Coulter
I'm a big fan of Dr. Seuss and was excited to see what Random House had done to finish this unpublished manuscript. The final product is pretty good, but little about it feels like Dr. Seuss to me. I like the idea of introducing kids to art through looking at one object in a number of different styles and eras, and though some pages seem a bit reductionist in how they generalize about entire styles or artists, the overall theme is helpful for people of all ages: "Look it over. Think it over. ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hate "found" books. So I went into reading this with a head full of steam and an at max 2 star rating. Once again I have proved to myself I should never assume I know anything about a book until I read it.

This book is AMAZING. I'll be buying a copy for my mom, my grandmother, and my honorary niece. Honestly, it makes me want to have more children in my life to buy it for and read it with. Okay, probably not, but seriously this book is amazing.

It is cute, humorous, educational, interesting,
Joan
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Based on “found” sketches and a manuscript, this book takes the young reader [with a horse guide] through an art museum to understand the different ways artists interpret a subject [in this case, a horse]. Reproductions of more than thirty artworks help to show the diversity of art. Following the narrative, there are notes on the various artists who created the works of art featured in the pages of this colorful book. There’s also an interesting piece from the publisher on how the book came to ...more
Beverly
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pbnf-700
Very interesting introduction to art for young children through artwork featuring horses, in different kinds of media: painting, sculpture, and collage.
Laura Harrison
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: omg-cant-wait, 2019
This book is glorious! It is an entertaining and fun way to introduce children to incredible horse paintings. Andrew Joyner was the perfect choice for illustrator. A must have for the art and horse lover.
Shiloah
The kids enjoyed this one at Barnes & Noble’s one
Millionth read aloud day! What a fun way to kick off the celebration. Definitely a great book. I’m so glad it was found and published!
Rebecca
This unpublished manuscript of Dr. Seuss was discovered after his death, and has been finished and illustrated in his style by Australian artist Andrew Joyner. The illustrations contain lots of inside jokes for both art fans and Seuss fans, and the diversity in the children is welcome, especially after recent criticism of some of Seuss's representations.

Most interesting, however, is the overview of art styles, famous works, and ways of thinking about art, all through the lens of the horse as
Christina
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, picturebooks
What a terrific book to encourage the study and creation of art! I loved that it featured so many famous examples of horses in art, some of which I actually weren't familiar with (and that's saying a lot-- ever since I was a kid I've loved equine art and always sought it out). Based on sketches and a manuscript left behind by Ted Geisel, Horse Museum features a horse who guides children through an art museum, showing examples of horses in art over the decades to teach them that art is "when an ...more
Danielle Clode
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Posthumously published books are fascinating and I love the story behind this publication. From finding the storyboard/incomplete draft in a box of "noble failures" to the process of completing and updating the text and then the daunting challenge of illustrating, this book contains a revelation in picture book craft in the appendices. It's also a lovely introduction to art in itself (particularly for those who love horses) Andrew Joyner has taken an individual but sympathetic approach to the ...more
Becca
Since this is illustrated by Andrew Joyner it's not exactly a Dr. Suess book in my opinion. Still it would be so much fun to read aloud to a child to introduce them to different visual art forms and styles. I also enjoy the "notes from the publisher" at the end; they give an interesting insight into Theodor Geisel's life and art, as well as the creation of this book.
Natalie
Don't really like Seuss, or reconstituted Seuss - but love horses and art. Was happy to see a few of my favorites (Stubbs! Manet!) in there.
Bella
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: enfants
Love!
Krista
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. I usually find Dr. Seuss books to be too little for my children. Some of his books I just don't care for, but this one is a rare occasion that I just loved the book by him.

This book is beautifully done, inviting kids to appreciate art/artist. How an artist sees a horse. How each artist has a different area of the horse they just love! I love how pictures of real paintings are used. I love the back how there is educational materials for kids. As a homeschooling
Shannon A
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a book found in the juvenile section and quite possibly aimed at them, but it most definitely would nt be read by someone in that target audience without an adult. For a child under middle school, the child will just read the colorful pages and receive zero learning benefit from it whatsoever. For a child in middle grades and above, the information in the colorful part of the story lists lost...
Lydia
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best Dr. Seuss book! Found in a box by his wife years after his death, was the mostly done manuscript for this book. So glad that everyone involved in this book decided to publish it. In my opinion it is a fantastic way to introduce anyone to art in general.
Rosan
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Take an art journey through Dr. Seuss’s and Andrew Joyner’s talented artwork. Must reads-the author and publisher notes.
Panda Incognito
"There are many different ways to see a horse."

Throughout history, people have drawn, painted, and sculpted horses in a variety of ways, following different styles and expressing their own unique visions. This book collects significant examples of horse artwork into an illustrated museum, introducing children to famous art and teaching them about the different techniques and styles represented by these wide-ranging works. This is a great concept, and it is executed wonderfully, with vivid text,
Emma
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book about the universality and beauty and purpose of art. Beautiful. And the extensive back matter was informative and interesting. I love me some good back matter.
Stephanie
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Take a playful and enlightening romp through Dr. Seuss's Horse Museum. What is the subject of this museum? The horse, of course! As you go through the Horse Museum, you are introduced to art in all of its forms from outline to abstract. The artwork presented in the Horse Museum is all real, showing depictions of horses from the Wei dynasty in China, Navajo artisans, Raphael, Freud, Kandinsky, Pollock and Seuss himself.

Dr. Seuss's Horse Museum is a wonderfully fun way to introduce children to
Nancy
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
In the past few years, Audrey Geisel, Mrs. Seuss, found a box containing a manuscript for The Horse Museum left behind by the good Dr. Seuss. This book is the result of the found manuscript, a Horse art museum inspired by Dr. Seuss and starring some of his most famous characters. A horse leads the reader on a discussion of the different ways art is categorized and how horses are illustrated to show color or movement or speed.

When I heard there was a new Dr. Seuss book coming out after all this
Alex
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is actually a very elegant walk through art history for the littlies.

The Seussical feeling is strong, but it's very clear that this is based on notes and minor drafts. Personally, I think that's not a problem, but the tone is decidedly different than most Seuss stories-- but this would be an issue even if Seuss published it personally, complete and fully finalized. It's aimed at a much older audience than the original Seuss-sight-word-trainer stories (though, by 'older' I mean, kids like
Lenoire
The illustrated book is based off a manuscript written Dr. Suess that was recently discovered in 2013. The book reads like a visit to an art museum with a horse as your guide through the experience. Seasoned illustrator took inspiration from Dr. Seuss's original sketches and combine it with his own original ideas.

I have been a fan of Dr. Seuss for many years. I was very excited to see a new book inspired by his work. However, I was a bit disappointed that this book didn't follow the same rhyming
Stefanie Kellum
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kids
This non-fiction title is based on sketches by Dr. Seuss and excellently gives examples of artistic movements through history and includes detailed descriptions of each work of art at the end as well.
Joe Busch
Sep 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
I get the intention of this book, and it has its minor charm, but it does not hold the Dr. Suess charm. This was simply a way to make more money. I read this for a story time at my local Barnes and Noble and my kids were so bored. It’s 60 pages long and goes over art terms that aren’t interesting for kids. I think it’s a great reference book, but I wouldn’t consider it a picture book for young readers.
Barbra
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This long lost manuscript from Dr. Seuss doesn't really contain any of his silliness. However it is an interesting look at art interpretation, and encourages children to follow their own imaginations. With pictures of real paintings and explanations at the end, this book will hit home with older readers, teachers and art lovers.
Cmeiss330
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has great information for those wondering about different styles of art, from cave paintings to modern art and picture books, using the subject of horses as an example. I also love that it talked about how you don't have to love all art but you can still appreciate what an artist's vision may have been. This would be a really useful book to teachers.
Thomas Bell
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Definitely interesting on some level, but it definitely was not Dr. Seuss. They had to add a lot of text beyond the original text and sketches, including the entire 2nd half of the book! The best part was reading about all the different pieces of horse-art.

Anyway, I'm glad I read it, but that's about all.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Serious Goose
  • The Scarecrow
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Hey Grandude!
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Bad Dog
  • You Are My Friend: The Story of Mister Rogers and His Neighborhood
  • Just in Case You Want to Fly
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both ...more
“ART. What’s it all about? This is what ART is about…ART is when an artist looks at something…like a horse, for instance…and they see something in that horse that excites them…SO they do something about it. They tell you about it…in any one of a number of ways.” 2 likes