Start by marking “A Madness of Sunshine” as Want to Read:
A Madness of Sunshine

A Madness of Sunshine

New York Times bestselling author Nalini Singh welcomes you to a remote town on the edge of the world where even the blinding brightness of the sun can’t mask the darkness that lies deep withina killer…

On the rugged West Coast of New Zealand, Golden Cove is more than just a town where people live. The adults are more than neighbors; the children, more than schoolmates.

Published December 3rd 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Madness of Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Madness of Sunshine

Start your review of A Madness of Sunshine
Miranda Reads
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description

"Nothing, there's nothing. It's like she vanished into thin air."
Anahera was born and raised in Golden Cove - seaside coast of New Zealand.

The land is wild, beautiful and savage - and deadly. When Anahera was a teen, a tragedy occurred - one that haunts the residents to this day.
"They never found the missing hikers, did they?"
Anahera left her hometown - swearing she'll never return. Only...eight years later she finds herself on the very same shores that the women disappeared from.
She
Amy Imogene Reads
Intensely character driven and held in an arrestingly deadly setting, this is a lingering read.

Writing:
Characters:
Pacing:
Villain(s)/Reveal(s): 1/2

Full disclosure: I've been a long-time fan of Nalini Singh. She writes some of the most well-written, beautifully plotted paranormal romances in the game. As in, they're worthy of SFF labels but are tragically only published as mass market paperbacks (I'm a hardcover girl, but I bend my rule for this queen).

So when I heard she was writing a
Corina

I’m getting more and more into thrillers and want to add even more to my 2020 tbr, so when I found out Nalini Singh was writing one, I got really excited about it.

There were quite a few things I loved about this book.
1) The story was set in New Zealand, and the author’s familiarity with this country was obvious and also the part that grabbed me the most. The language, the traditions, the small communities and the difficulties that come with them. Beautifully described in detail, it
Michelle
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well consider me a lonely inhabitant of minority opinion world because I'm really bummed about this. The book had a good start, but then it took too long for something to happen and in the meantime there were way too many characters introduced. It was getting difficult for me to keep track of all of them and their importance in the story. I got some ‘The Dry’ vibes, but it didn’t end up being nearly as suspenseful and I had trouble caring about the characters. Also, there was a ton of over ...more
Toni
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, thriller
This is my first book by this incredibly talented writer, so I had very few, if any, expectations. I was swept away by the beauty of descriptions of the West Coast of New Zealand:

....She stood on a jagged cliff looking out over the crashing sea below as fog wove through the treetops, a light misty rain falling and dissipating before it ever got to her...

Anahera Rawiri returns to her home town of Gloden Cove after eight years of absence, a successful career as a classical pianist and the death of
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I'm a romance genre girl through and through. When I saw that this was Nalini Singh, I knew I needed to give this book a try even though I hesitate at the genre. I'm really glad that I did. From the first chapter this book captured my attention and held. The writing is phenomenal. It doesn't matter what genre this author writes, she knows how to captivate.

I think because I knew going in that this was a thriller, I really focused on everything I learned about all the characters that were
✨ A ✨
ARC received from Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review
Carol Dass
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read, arcs
A stunning story! Nalini has always been one of my favourite authors and this new direction of hers into the genre of mysteries/thrillers is amazing! She is a master of storytelling and this new book is no exception. I love the descriptions which paint a picture and the characters are so vibrant. Anahera is flawed, flawed by the betrayal of her husband which she only discovered after he died. Will is flawed too, by the strength of his emotions in doing the right thing as a cop. The story takes ...more
Quirkyreader
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Oh my how to review this one.

It was a non stop thrill ride that went all the way to the end. I wanted to finish this book in one go but sleep won.

This story is set in New Zealand and features a strong Maori woman as the main character. Mostly, it is is a small town mystery. And once secrets turn up no one is safe no matter how long you have known them.

I liked how Singh described the landscape. It made me feel as though I was there experiencing the tension unfolding along with the characters.

Dianne
Dark and twisted, Nalini Singh’s A MADNESS OF SUNSHINE lays bare the very soul of a small New Zealand coastal town when the nightmares of the past collide with the horrors of the present and no one can feel safe anymore.

Anahera is back years after leaving to follow her heart and her dreams, only to have them turn to dust and ash. Will was once a decorated police officer, but one emotional mistake leads him to the backwater town of Golden Cove where the normally tranquil area is a balm to his
Hollis
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, arc
Gave this 20% and it failed to hook me and all the characters read very flat.

Disappointing as I was looking forward to a good thriller set in New Zealand but oh well.
Zoe
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Atmospheric, gritty, and suspenseful!

The Madness of Sunshine is a sharp, compelling read that transports you to Golden Cove, New Zealand, a small coastal town where the sudden disappearance of a local young woman with a bright future unearths a lot of strong emotions, tragic memories, and more long-buried secrets and skeletons than anyone could have ever imagined.

The prose is vivid and precise. The characters are tormented, mistrusting, and diligent. And the plot, including all the subplots,
Beth
A decorated officer of the law makes a mistake that has his career derailed, sending him to the middle of now-where New Zealand.

A townie who made it, who now is returning to her routes after realizing life on the outside wasn't what she dreamed of.

A beautiful young woman, Miriama, has gone missing after jogging into the bush. As the detective, Will, searches for clues with the help of Anahera, the returning townie, into Miriama's disappearance. unexpected town secrets bring into question even
Monnie
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally engrossing. Riveting, even. Wow - what an amazing book! It's the first I've read by this author, and apparently it's a departure from her usual paranormal fare. If that's true, I hope she strays again and again - this one is extraordinarily good. Not to compare the stories, but from start to finish the style reminded me of "Where the Crawdads Sing," the best-seller by Delia Owens that without question is one of the best books I've read in my rather lengthy lifetime.

Aside from simply
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Anahera thought she had left the tiny New Zealand town of Golden Cove behind forever when her mother died. She spent years in London as a successful pianist with a loving husband only to return to Golden Cove after his sudden death.
Shocked with the secrets her husband kept and still grieving her mother and a pregnancy loss, Anahera hopes to heal in the familiar seaside cabin.

Will is the sole police officer in Golden Cove and he's tormented by the case that delivered him from the city to the
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

So, as you guys may know, I’m a HUGE fan of Nalini Singh. Her Psy-Changeling books are my ultimate comfort read and probably my favourite adult fantasy series, while her Guild Hunter books are everything that is dark and erotic and awe-inspiring. I haven’t read her contemporary romance series yet, but they’re certainly on my TBR list!

A Madness of Sunshine is her first contemporary suspense novel. While the excellent writing made it
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
I spent my entire weekend wrapped up in A Madness of Sunshine. From page one until the very twisty and stunning ending I was absolutely captivated by a widow returning home. Everything about this was fresh and new to me. From the setting in a picturesque yet dangerous environment of Golden Cove, to the people cast as old friends and new.

Nalini Singh has really delivered a thoughtful and highly compelling read. I seriously hope there will be more. I find myself craving a deeper look into this
Blendy
For me, Nalini Singh is synonymous with paranormal shit; and I LOVE her paranormal shit. That is why when I saw this new book from her, I knew I had to read it. Seriously, book description or blurb be damned. I picked this book up with no questions asked and was ready to be dazzled.

The dazzle never really came though, and that was a problem.

Don't get me wrong, Ms. Singh is still a bad bitch and delivers an attention-grabbing read, but there is nary a magical thing in this book. Nor is there any
Helen Power
Synopsis
When Anahera’s husband dies, she decides to return home to Golden Cove, a little town in New Zealand where she grew up. But soon after her arrival, a popular young woman goes missing, and it’s up to Anahera and the town’s sole cop to figure out what happened to her. Nothing is as it seems, and this little town has more than its fair share of suspects...

Plot
A Madness of Sunshine is an engaging read from its very first line. While engaging, it is a slower read, and Singh puts an
Sophia
A disappearance in a small coastal New Zealand community is only the small stone dropped into a pond sending out ripples that rock so many people as dark shadows that have remained hidden start to surface. Atmospheric, slow-build, and twisting, A Madness of Sunshine was engrossing from cover to cover.

A Madness of Sunshine begins when the prodigal returns to her home village after shaking off it's dirt years before. Anahera was the toast of London as a concert pianist before her husband died and
☕️Kimberly
Singh weaved small town politics, interesting characters and small-town characteristics into the seaside town of Golden Cove. Where not much happens, unless you count those missing folks eight years back. They never solved the case(s). Many townsfolk have ideas about it though. Was it a hiking accident, were they swept out to sea or did something more nefarious happen?

Golden Cove is a close-knit community where people have ties to one another. It’s one where the young move away but somehow find
Smart Bookaholics Inc Bookstore
This is my first book by this author! I was told she usually does like paranormal romance and that this was out in left field for her!
First this book was amazing! The mystery kept you dangling by your seat! I'm excited to say I'll be looking for more books by her!
In small communities there is a certain closeness that is expressed wonderfully in this book! When bad things happen in a small town it's hard to know who to trust and hold together! Read this book you guys! It's available December
Kelley
ARC received courtesy of Berkley Publishing

"A Madness of Sunshine" is the first novel I can recall reading that was set in New Zealand. The wildness and remoteness of the town of Golden Cove was as much a character as any person in the novel. I happened to watch an episode of Gordan Ramsey's new "Uncharted" series that was set in New Zealand while I was reading the book. I'm amazed at the author's ability to bring that wildness to life. While watching the TV show, I kept thinking, "Yes, that's
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free copy of A Madness of Sunshine from Berkeley via Edelweiss. This has in no way influenced my review which is honest and unbiased.*

Singh really knows how to write a mystery / thriller with lots of suspense! I tried to guess who was behind this and that, but was unable to. As always, the characters truly carried the story, and the plot was very well executed.

FRC
Jessica B.
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**early work perk read**
Lady Heather
"5- Who can you trust? - Stars"

"I voluntarily read an ARC of this book which was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review."
Ahana M Rao (Heart’s Content)
You can find this review of A Madness of Sunshine on my blog, Heart's Content!

Received an Advanced Reader's Copy via Edelweiss+ from publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

You guys. YOU GUYS. YOU. GUYS.

First of all, let me introduce you to the love of my life, Nalini Singh, who is literally thesole reason that this madness I have for romance and fantasy was created and nurtured. HerPsy-Changeling series was--is--the best thing that ever happened to me. If I were to write even 0.13
nick

TW: Abuse, violence, sexual assault, rape, animal abuse

This was very atmospheric and beautifully written. The mystery itself was easy for me to solve but the writing is so strong that it didn't bother me. I hope Nalini Singh writes more mysteries like this one.

RTC
Donna Hines
A woman goes missing and Anahera is needed for her expertise of the surrounding landscapes.
The story takes place in Golden Cove a small town in New Zealand with plenty of secrets to go around.
The cop Will seems to know all too well the abuse that's taken place here and is perfectly flawed in trying to do what's right as a cop.
When Anahera learns of her husband's betrayal after his passing she too becomes flawed.
A beautiful young and talented woman disappears and it's up to everyone in Golden
Cyndi
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, netgalley
Anahera has returned to the small New Zealand town where she grew up and demons from her past still haunt her. Soon after arriving at the cottage once inhabited by her and her now deceased mother, a young woman disappears without a trace while out for a run in the woods. The circumstances are reminiscent of the town’s sordid past when 3 other young women of similar appearance also disappeared. Anahera and the newbie law enforcement agent in the town work together to find the missing woman, at ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Nalini Singh Fans: * A Madness of Sunshine 33 41 Dec 05, 2019 02:16AM

• The Wives
  • Meg and Jo
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Would Like to Meet
  • Reputation
  • Thin Ice (Alaska Wild Mysteries #1)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Return
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Reverie
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • The Matchmaker's Mistletoe Mission (Boots and Bouquets, #0.5)
  • Love Lettering
  • Spun Out (Blacktop Cowboys, #10)
  • Angel in a Devil's Arms (The Palace of Rogues, #2)
  • The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1)
  • Mr. Nobody
I've been writing as long as I can remember and all of my stories always held a thread of romance (even when I was writing about a prince who could shoot lasers out of his eyes). I love creating unique characters, love giving them happy endings and I even love the voices in my head. There's no other job I would rather be doing. In September 2002, when I got the call that Silhouette Desire wanted ...more
“Sunshine.
That’s what she was.
Sunshine.
Bright. A thing of life. A thing that could burn.
And this heart, it beat only for her.
It could murder for her.
For love. For Sunshine.”