Start by marking “The Collected Dorothy Parker” as Want to Read:
The Collected Dorothy Parker

The Collected Dorothy Parker

Dorothy Parker, more than any of her contemporaries, captured the spirit of the Jazz Age in her poetry and prose, and The Collected Dorothy Parker includes an introduction by Brendan Gill in Penguin Modern Classics.

Dorothy Parker was the most talked-about woman of her day, notorious as the hard-drinking bad girl with a talent for stinging repartee and endlessly quotable on
Published May 31st 2001 by Penguin Classics (first published 1944)

Start your review of The Collected Dorothy Parker
Dolly Delightly
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was once told by a friend that if Dorothy Parker was still alive she would buy me a big martini. I don’t know whether or not that’s true but I know that if I had the opportunity I’d buy her several. I discovered Parker very early on in my life and have returned to her writing time and again. A couple of months ago, I purchased her selected works in an Oxfam on High Street Kensington and have been meaning to flick through them since. Trying to review someone I admire as much as I do Parker is a ...more
Merl Fluin
42 SHORT STORIES IN 42 DAYS*

DAY 17: New York To Detroit
An unremarkable story about which I apparently have nothing to say.

*The rules:
– Read one short story a day, every day for six weeks
– Read no more than one story by the same author within any 14-day period
– Deliberately include authors I wouldn't usually read
– Review each story in one sentence or less

Any fresh reading suggestions/recommendations will be gratefully received 📚
Angela Randall
This woman was full of pithy quotes. See some here.

Dorothy Parker's poems are short and sweet, pointed and dark. Her short stories are colourful and intense and usually leave you feeling somewhat distressed about the human condition.

Her writing throughout is amazing, showing quite clearly that she has great intelligence, talent, wit, style, humour and education.

Her reviews of plays and books are magnificently written. When she hates something she ensures everyone knows precisely why. However, w
Zanna
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Parker's acerbic stories, poems and criticism are collected here with all the power of an untamable progressive voice grating against patriarchy, directly and indirectly. I found her legendary reviews a fascinating historical document. Zadie Smith, in her laudatory essay on Katherine Hepburn, quotes Parker's immortal comment 'she ran the whole gamut of emotions from A to B' in qualified agreement. But though Parker was as unyielding in criticism to her fellow women as to men. I see her as one of ...more
Jazzy Lemon
Dorothy Parker, one of the finest writers the world has ever seen.
Alice Furse
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wish I was Dorothy Parker. THE END.
Rick Burin
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Her verse can be good and her stories can be great, but it’s Parker’s journalism that’s truly extraordinary. She turned reviewing into an art form, increasingly using some recent book as a jumping off point for a ruthless, coruscating comic sketch radiating her caustic, devastating wit.

I don’t mean for it to sound like she’s hard to live with as a writer, though: putdowns were only a twentieth of Parker’s repertoire, and her most brutal assessments are always of herself (or A. A. Milne). I gorge
Honeythief
Jul 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Connoisseurs of wit
Shelves: gift, humour
Acerbic, rapier-sharp wit and clever word play at its absolute best.

I can't wait to read a book so egregious that it warrants the use of Parker's witticism, "This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force" in my review.

If, like Parker, your motto is, "If you haven't got a good word to say about anyone, come sit here by me" then you'll surely love the witty put-downs, sharp one-liners and cleverly crafted gags contained within her collected articles, reviews
G. Lawrence
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, witty, funny, poignant and touching. I prefer her poetry and articles to her short stories, but that's just personal preference. An absolute must read.
Judith Marie
I can only recommend "The collected Dorothy Parker".
It consist of short stories, poems, book- and play reviews and some other articles.
I loved practically all of the short stories. A lot of them are really funny, but also touching. Concerning the poetry I have mixed feelings. There were some poems which I just didn’t get (maybe because english isn’t my first language), but others made me laugh, others again made me sad or led me to think about them for quite some time.
Surprisingly, I loved th
Clare
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-york
This collection of Dorothy Parker wit and wisdom, insight and lark that I read was not the well known 'Portable Dorothy Parker' which I had been after, but something better and more extensive, 'The Collected Dorothy Parker'.
This book includes the contents of the portable but with added stories and then play reviews, book reviews and articles towards the end.
I have to say that I wasn't overly keen on the poetry; I am decidedly an un-fan of poetry that rhymes, it just doesn't flow in a flattering
Sara
Nov 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That life is bittersweet.
Caro
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
so dark and witty, brilliantly sad.
Helerini
May 08, 2010 rated it liked it

Desperate Women, Indifferent Men
Lewis Woolston
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had heard Dorothy Parker's name in connection with other writers for a while now. I got the impression she was one of those people who went to the right parties with all the right people. It was only by chance i saw this book at my local library and decide to give it a go.
The short stories are very good, in the same league as many of the big names, there are a few duds but for the most part these are quality short stories.
The poetry i could take or leave. It wouldn't bother me if i never rea
Chris
Oct 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Finally. Finally I finished this. This is a collection of Dorothy Parker’s work, which (unfortunately) mostly entails short stories. Some of these I loved (Big Blonde, A Telephone Call, the Custard Heart, From the Diary of a New York Lady), but mostly I had to wrestle through them. One can take only so many of the same kind of short stories before the feeling “yes Dorothy, I know the drill now!” overtakes everything. This Collected Dorothy Parker could have been a little less collected and have ...more
Morgan Miller-Portales
Notorious for her acerbic wit and satirical humour, Dorothy Parker was a great chronicler of the Jazz Age. In this collection of short stories, poems and other pieces (sketches, book reviews etc.), the reader is plunged in the dazzle and darkness of this particular era. The linear and chronological organisation of the pieces, however, had an effect of collective sameness, thus rendering even some of the more serious pieces against racial prejudice or the loneliness associated with ageing as as s ...more
SabReina
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Her wit. Her personality. So many quotes to remember!

Perhaps it's not for everyone. Some stories tell absolutely nothing special. Two people fighting, two people chatting. Her sense of detail, of rhythm, make it special.

This complete collection of Parker's work include: her poems, her short stories, and her play and book reviews. So it is to say, there are material for you to judge Parker's work depending on your own tastes. Don't underestimate her.

10 years ago, I've discovered her, today, I'
Mimi
Mar 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF 40%

I decided to read this book this year as it has sat on my shelf for a long time.

It started off well and I liked a few stories, but I quickly got bored.

The poetry, I struggled with as I’m not of fan of it in general. It’s pretty much lost on me.

I can’t comment on her book reviews or play reviews as I never read on to them.

Overall, I feel disappointed as I really wanted to like her work.

Kirsten
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yes, she's amazing. Sharp, funny, the most lovely cutting sentences I've ever read. But must she hate women so much? Every once in a while there's a despicable or silly male, but every story contains a ridiculous woman.
Victoria
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Words fail me should I even try to begin to say how unbelievably good, acerbic and funny she is. Sadly one of America's most overlooked American female authors of the early 20th century. Everyone should read her!
Kevinjwoods
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Should be required reading for anyone thinking of writing anything consisting as it does of classic short stories, amazing poetry and quite interesting reviews.
Pandora K
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The stories were alright but some poems were exceptional.
Gavin
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Sharp and funny but insubstantial. Good for Sunday nights maybe.
Natalie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite short story collections.
Eleanor Thom
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
love it, dip in and out, poems, stories- caustic wit, huge insight and beautifully written
Louise
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read & enjoyed some of her work decades ago. My opinion remains the same after reading this collection. ...more
Suesaroo
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A heavy collection but, how timeless.
Philip
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This isn't the sort of book one 'finishes'.
Mike Clarke
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Dorothy Parker, the original Girl Gone Wild, makes Madge, the Spices and god help us Atomic Kitten look thoroughly pallid. Yet they all owe her something as a template and a role model, a clever woman with an excellent business head, but more importantly a sharp eye and deft pen.

Mrs Parker is thoroughly anthologised here and for those who know her only for her epigrams ("If all the starlets in Hollywood were laid end to end, I wouldn't be surprised.") and pithy put-downs (on being told of the de
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Novel of Ferrara
  • Why Is This Night Different from All Other Nights? (All the Wrong Questions, #4)
  • Bliss & Other Stories
  • The Lost Lunar Baedeker: Poems of Mina Loy
  • The Collected Poems
  • New Selected Poems, 1957-1994
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold
  • The Fry Chronicles (Memoir #2)
  • And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks
  • The Looking Glass
  • Katherine Mansfield: A Secret Life
  • Rosetta: A Scandalous True Story
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown (Betsy-Tacy, #4)
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy, #3)
  • Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2)
  • Betsy Was a Junior (Betsy-Tacy, #7)
  • Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy, #6)
  • The Man With the Golden Arm
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Dorothy Parker was an American writer, poet and critic best known for her caustic wit, wisecracks, and sharp eye for 20th century urban foibles. From a conflicted and unhappy childhood, Parker rose to acclaim, both for her literary output in such venues as The New Yorker and as a founding member of the Algonquin