Start by marking “The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog, Volume 1

The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog, Volume 1 (Hank the Cowdog #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  3,952 Ratings  ·  369 Reviews
Hank is accused of murder. In a fit of despair, he resigns his post and joinsa gang of coyote outlaws. Will he come back and save the ranch?
Audio, 0 pages
Published February 6th 2008 by Maverick Books (TX) (first published 1980)

Panda Incognito You don't need to worry about the sequence. My brother started with book sixty-something, and he had no problem. Each book is an individual story,…moreYou don't need to worry about the sequence. My brother started with book sixty-something, and he had no problem. Each book is an individual story, introducing the characters and setting anew for those who haven't been along for the whole series.(less)

Kami
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know you'll never believe me, but there are some of the most hilarious books for kids out there. But you have to get them on tape or cd.... the author reads them and does the best voices and makes it even better. I mean like way way better. The best is if you have or have ever owned a dog. Because it's all about this dog who does all the normal dumb dog stuff but takes it incredibly seriously. Considers himself the head of ranch security and the world might end if he doesn't bark at the mailma ...more
Rebecca McNutt
I loved this book when I was a kid. Some relative bought it for me for Christmas one year and it's one of those books that doesn't try to make everything cheerful and fake, but still carries many positive messages for kids and even adult readers.
Kayla Edwards
I've always been a Hank fan and now my students are too! Our elementary book club just finished this one up last week and I'm excited to say that it had the best reaction yet. I was pleasantly surprised at how fascinated they were with Hank; I now have all the other books in the series flying off my shelves. My crew gives Hank two thumbs up!
KJ Shadows
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to add these books because I remember them so fondly back in my childhood. Guaranteed I'd probably laugh if I went back and read these. It sounds silly but these books inspired me to learn to write and read lots of books at a VERY early age. I read much younger because my best friend was reading these books. I remember in class we use to get our moms to buy different ones and we'd switch. I read all of them which was a huge feat, I think it went up to like a 100? No Joke.

I remember I want
DocHolidavid
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Now.. Now...Hank the Cowdog is supposedly written for children, but it just don't seem that way to me.
Course, now, I'm not the sharpest light bulb on the block, but the subtle humor therein seems a little lofty for the average 6 year old. Course I find some of it above my 60 year old noggin.

Okay laugh if you want to. But when the chips are down, you just spent your last dime on toilet paper, your wife just put your bedroll in the doghouse, ya ain't seen a rain cloud since the Yorktown armistice
Vijay
Nov 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, adults w/ child-like senses of humor
Having read this book and each one that follows in the series, I consider myself an aficionado of Hank's adventures. Hank is a lovable--if somewhat dim-bulbed-- protagonist who captures the heart of the reader and has you rooting for him as he goes head to head with the Pete the barncat, the turkey buzzards, the resident coyotes, and the bumbling ineptitude of his sidekick, Drover. Maybe I'm biased coming from a rural background, but these books are great!
Betsy
I don't get what all the fuss is about: either the folks who are completely opposed to lowly Hank or those rabid fans of his....

These books are funny, but much of the tongue-in-cheek humor no doubt goes over a 9 year old's head (which seems to be roughly the target audience judging from reading level). I found the "voice" in the book (including the dead pan humor) to be DEAD ON with an old Texan looking back on his adventures. If you need corroboration of that, I'll let you read my Texan uncle'
Lindsey Reyes
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lopez
Hank the Cowdog
head of ranch security.
This cowdog is a child and adult favorite. The ways this dog views his "job" and the events that take place is too funny. Hank and Grover have many exciting and entertaining mysteries. This book is fun and makes me (as an adult) laugh. Definitely perfect for chapter read alouds.
Spencer
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many good ones in this series. Growing up in Texas, this series filled my evenings and school hours with great adventures. Hank and Grover should have a home in any school library.
  • I, Freddy (The Golden Hamster Saga, #1)
  • Ginger (Dog Diaries, #1)
  • The Trouble with Tuck
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • Wolf Stalker (Mysteries in Our National Parks, #1)
  • Ruby Lu, Brave and True
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
  • The Adventures of Reddy Fox
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • A Dog Called Kitty
  • Harry's Mad
  • Sugar Creek Gang #1-6 Set (Sugar Creek Gang)
  • Sirens and Sea Monsters (Tales from the Odyssey #3)
  • Niagara Falls, Or Does It? (Hank Zipzer, #1)
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • Freddy the Detective
  • Lost Treasure of the Emerald Eye (Geronimo Stilton, #1)
  • Horrible Harry Cracks the Code
John R. Erickson, a former cowboy and ranch manager, is gifted with a storyteller's knack for spinning a yarn. Through the eyes of Hank the Cowdog, a smelly, smart-aleck Head of Ranch Security, Erickson gives readers a glimpse of daily life on a ranch in the West Texas Panhandle. This series of books and tapes is in school libraries across the country, has sold more than 7.6 million copies, is a B ...more
More about John R. Erickson...

Hank the Cowdog (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • The Further Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog, #2)
  • It's a Dog's Life (Hank the Cowdog, #3)
  • Murder in the Middle Pasture (Hank the Cowdog, #4)
  • Faded Love (Hank the Cowdog, #5)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Hank the Cowdog, #6)
  • The Curse of the Incredible Priceless Corncob (Hank the Cowdog, #7)
  • The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse (Hank the Cowdog, #8)
  • The Case of the Halloween Ghost (Hank the Cowdog, #9)
  • Every Dog Has His Day (Hank the Cowdog, #10)
  • Lost in the Dark Unchanted Forest (Hank the Cowdog, #11)
“Don’t take anything for granite. That’s what tombstones are made of.” 15 likes
“Coyotes can’t expect to keep friends when they eat them all the time.” 11 likes