Start by marking “Stone Man and the Trail of Tears” as Want to Read:
Stone Man and the Trail of Tears

Stone Man and the Trail of Tears

After U.S. soldiers attack twelve-year-old Tsatsi’s Cherokee village, his family flees to the Smokey Mountains. Facing storms, flood, and hunger, they’re forced to go where Stone Man, a monstrous giant, is rumored to live. Their journey is a dangerous one. Will Tsatsi find the strength to become a Cherokee warrior? And will they ever find their family again?
Paperback
Published October 8th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Stone Man and the Trail of Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Man and the Trail of Tears

Start your review of Stone Man and the Trail of Tears
Charley
Aug 13, 2019 marked it as dnf
*I received a copy of this book from Dancing Lemur Press in exchange for an honest review.*

All summer I have been trying to get into Tsatsi's story, but I simply couldn't. I'm not sure if I couldn't get past the basic formatting or how simplistic the writing style is in the book. Either way, I don't see myself enjoying this book if I forced myself to keep reading. The story is one that needs to be heard, but I'm not sure this is the way.
Stephanie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg, read-in-2019
The Trail of Tears is a tragic time in history. This middle grade book tells the story of two Cherokee children whose family tries to flee to the mountains after their village is attacked. Tsatsi and his sister Sali get separated from their family and must try to survive on their own. The area is rumored to be home to Stone Man and Tsatsi and Sali are scared. When Sali falls ill and Stone Man enters their lives- they will discover if the rumors are true.

This is a story that will hopefully make
Pages For Thoughts
I enjoyed how the story accurately conveyed the historical attacks against the Cherokee tribes, and this book could be a useful educational tool. I also thought it was extremely important and beneficial how Stone Man and the Trail of Tears proves that not all white men were evil and discriminatory. Johnny took unfathomable risks to protect these two kids, inspiring others to do the same. The scenery was wonderful and I loved the action-packed scenes. As sad as the story was, I liked how all the ...more
Erin Kahn
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a sweet story. Tsatsi’s love for his family, concern for their safety, and desire to protect them at all costs makes this a book that will hit home for anyone who has a family, which should be just about all of us.

Besides that, it will hit home for anyone who’s ever helped or been helped by someone outside their family. Johnny Garner, a white trapper living alone in the mountains, takes it upon himself to rescue two Cherokee children and get them to safety.

Along the way *SPOILER* h
Tonja Drecker
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a tale which transports readers back into history but in such a way which will hit home and leave a mark.

The Trail of Tears was an awful moment in history, and this is where we meet twelve-year-old Tsatsi. His family has been chased out of their village and runs away in hopes of not being found and slaughtered. The journey is perilous, and Tsatsi, along with his young sister, are separated from their family. Things become much more dire when the younger sister falls ill and is kidnapped
Sherry Ellis
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Those familiar with US history know of the Trail of Tears. It is a sad chapter in which Cherokee Indians were hunted by US soldiers and forced off of their land. Stone Man and the Trail of Tears is the fictitious story of a young Cherokee boy, Tsatsi, and his family who lived during that time. When his village is attacked, Tsatsi and his sister, Sali, flee and are separated from their family. Things get worse when Sali becomes ill and is kidnapped by Stone Man, a legendary giant who instills fea ...more
Beverly McClure
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The story takes place in the fall of 1838 when U. S. soldiers appear at twelve-year-old Tsati’s village and start burning the Cherokees’ homes. The family attempts to escape to freedom. From then on, we follow the family as they live a part of history, later known as the Civil War, that separated families and left many innocent people dead.
The author does a great job showing the fear and uncertainty the characters feel as they struggle to reach safety in what came to be called the Trail of Tear
April Brown
Apr 20, 2019
Sep 07, 2019
Sheena-kay Graham
Jan 03, 2020
Charles Suddeth
Feb 08, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)

• Voyagers: The Third Ghost
  • Gabe's Guardian Angel
  • Pup and Hound Catch a Thief
  • The Fix-It Man
  • The Jumbies (The Jumbies #1)
  • Unbound: A Novel in Verse
  • Titan and the Wild Boars: The True Cave Rescue of the Thai Soccer Team
  • Remarkables
  • A Plump And Perky Turkey
  • Yesterday Today Always
  • Double Take! a New Look at Opposites
  • Your Words, Your Life Story: A Journal for Sharing Memories
  • Leaps and Bounce
  • A Tractor Named Wilbur (Book 1)
  • Just Say Boo!
  • Silver Girl
  • Mission: Back to School: Top-Secret Information
  • The Red Casket (Del Toro Moon, #2)
Biography of Charles Suddeth

Charles Suddeth was born in Jeffersonville, Indiana. He lived near Charlestown, Indiana on a mule-powered farm, on the site of a 1790 fort built to prevent Shawnees from crossing the Ohio River. He still loves mules, but the city won’t let him keep them.
Though he is not legally Native American, he has Cherokee and Shawnee ancestors. His great-great grandfather, Bill Pe

News & Interviews