Start by marking “Stone Man and the Trail of Tears” as Want to Read:
Stone Man and the Trail of Tears

Stone Man and the Trail of Tears

After U.S. soldiers attack twelve-year-old Tsatsi’s Cherokee village, his family flees to the Smokey Mountains. Facing storms, flood, and hunger, they’re forced to go where Stone Man, a monstrous giant, is rumored to live. Their journey is a dangerous one. Will Tsatsi find the strength to become a Cherokee warrior? And will they ever find their family again?
Paperback
Published October 8th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Stone Man and the Trail of Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Man and the Trail of Tears

Charley
Aug 13, 2019 marked it as dnf
*I received a copy of this book from Dancing Lemur Press in exchange for an honest review.*

All summer I have been trying to get into Tsatsi's story, but I simply couldn't. I'm not sure if I couldn't get past the basic formatting or how simplistic the writing style is in the book. Either way, I don't see myself enjoying this book if I forced myself to keep reading. The story is one that needs to be heard, but I'm not sure this is the way.
Pages For Thoughts
I enjoyed how the story accurately conveyed the historical attacks against the Cherokee tribes, and this book could be a useful educational tool. I also thought it was extremely important and beneficial how Stone Man and the Trail of Tears proves that not all white men were evil and discriminatory. Johnny took unfathomable risks to protect these two kids, inspiring others to do the same. The scenery was wonderful and I loved the action-packed scenes. As sad as the story was, I liked how all the ...more
Erin Kahn
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a sweet story. Tsatsi’s love for his family, concern for their safety, and desire to protect them at all costs makes this a book that will hit home for anyone who has a family, which should be just about all of us.

Besides that, it will hit home for anyone who’s ever helped or been helped by someone outside their family. Johnny Garner, a white trapper living alone in the mountains, takes it upon himself to rescue two Cherokee children and get them to safety.

Along the way *SPOILER* h
Tonja Drecker
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a tale which transports readers back into history but in such a way which will hit home and leave a mark.

The Trail of Tears was an awful moment in history, and this is where we meet twelve-year-old Tsatsi. His family has been chased out of their village and runs away in hopes of not being found and slaughtered. The journey is perilous, and Tsatsi, along with his young sister, are separated from their family. Things become much more dire when the younger sister falls ill and is kidnapped
Sherry Ellis
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Those familiar with US history know of the Trail of Tears. It is a sad chapter in which Cherokee Indians were hunted by US soldiers and forced off of their land. Stone Man and the Trail of Tears is the fictitious story of a young Cherokee boy, Tsatsi, and his family who lived during that time. When his village is attacked, Tsatsi and his sister, Sali, flee and are separated from their family. Things get worse when Sali becomes ill and is kidnapped by Stone Man, a legendary giant who instills fea ...more
April Brown
marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2019
marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2019
Biography of Charles Suddeth

Charles Suddeth was born in Jeffersonville, Indiana and lived on an historic Ohio River farm once the site of a pioneer fort. He grew up in suburban Detroit but has spent his adult years in Kentucky. He has two grown sons and lives alone in Louisville with two cats. His house is a few blocks from Tom Sawyer State Park, where he likes to hike, write, and watch the deer.