Start by marking “They Come At Night” as Want to Read:
They Come At Night

They Come At Night

Four teenagers. A cottage by the sea. Something comes at night. Something comes with the tide ...

They Come at Night was originally published in Danish, but is now available in English.
Published January 31st 2019 by Amazon Digital Services LLC (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about They Come At Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Come At Night

Start your review of They Come At Night
Peter
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A group of young adults want to have some good times spending in the beach cottage of one of the parents. The prologue of the story already has forebodings that something evil is going on at this seaside. On the following pages the water is coming nearer and nearer. Why is Chris, a youth and resident from the neighbourhood, trying to put up an anchor over the door? Who manipulated the car and the electronics? After building up enough tension a real creepy story sets in. Will one of the youths ...more
Shalini
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story went thus

4 friends + 1 weekend +1 lonely house + 1 hidden secret = evil and mayhem. A child Chris tried to tell them, but they disregarded him completely till disaster struck them.

Nick Clausen has done it again, written an absolute fun, horror short story. The prologue of a lone man's story who had lost his wife to them, those from the sea, captured my imagination completely. I could feel his fear. Then came the story of 4 friends who knew nothing about the horror from the sea which
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

They Come At Night starts with a letter from an unnamed husband addressing the loss of his wife, Elvina. The lost love that he has mourned for exactly a year since she was taken from him by creatures from the sea.

A group of teenagers, Jayden, Sienna, Richard, Max and Spike (the dog) are spending the weekend, without permission and in the off-season at Richard’s parent’s beach
Sherry Fundin
There are more than animals in the water, and they want YOU.

How do you protect yourself?

A little mystery and plenty of danger, as the four kids try to survive and make good their escape. I enjoyed this novella, but I was never really scared, just curious.

What is it? Who and how will they survive?

See more at fundinmental
Latasha
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, books-i-own
Listen to the locals

I thought I knew what this story would be about but I we wrong. This quick read is about 4 friends spending the weekend in a beach front cabin. Worse timing ever!
I enjoyed this short story from Nick Clausen. I look forward to reading more by him in the future.
Netanella
The Tide is Danish author Nick Clausen's first work, and also his first translated into English. A horror story set in a beachside cottage during the off-season, it had both an immediacy and a strangeness that I found compelling. Quite enjoyable!
Erica Metcalf
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
They Come At Night by Nick Clausen is a wonderfully atmospheric and nerve-wracking tale that will make you think twice about staying in a cabin near the ocean.

I snagged this ebook for free after seeing it pop up time and time again in one of my bookish Facebook groups. I am SO glad that I did.

This novella is about a group of teens that head to a cabin on a beach for a weekend getaway. They are expecting to sit around drinking and relaxing, but of course, things don’t go quite as planned…

I just
Amanda
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, kindle
Do you ever have one of those odd obsessions? Like, for example, listening to a youtube channel called Mr. Nightmare where they read supposed true horror stories from reddit? Well, I definitely do. I just can't read/listen to those stories at night...or with the lights off...or sometimes alone. Does that make me a wuss? I don't care.

I'd like to give a HUGE thank you to the author once again for letting me read his novella. The story was originally published in Danish in 2009, but now it is
Samantha
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed on this review are my own.

When four friends take a trip to a cabin for some fun they never expected to get caught in the big secret of the town. The neighbors refuse to talk about it. Except one neighbor kid who tries to warn them, but they don't listen. When the night falls.. they wish they had.

This book was so beyond creepy! Living on an island, I found Clausen's version of, what I would
Price Girls
*Note: I received this book for free in exchange for my honest opinion.

THEY COME AT NIGHT is a wicked tale that will leave anyone heading to the beach with the lingering question: what lies beneath the water? The story begins with a group of friends who decide to take a vacation for the weekend at one of their parent's beach cottage's. Everything starts out light and fun until night falls and things begin to take an eerie turn. Someone or something from a local legend is stalking them and it is
laura8759
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Thank you so much to nick clausen for the pdf download of they come at night the book is about a group of Four teenagers and friends . that stay at A cottage near the beach and by the sea. when things start to happen and Something comes at night. Something comes with the tide ...
this book was so good there were some surprises along the way I love the dynamic between the group of friends make you feel like your there witnessing it all first hand a good whodunit and mystery , with horror I read
Hannah May Book Reviews
Synopsis:

A group of teenagers decide to spend a weekend away at one of their parent’s beach cottage without them knowing. Unknowingly to them, they chose the wrong time of year to stay there and ignoring the warnings of a child who tries to protect them, night soon becomes dangerous. As the tide creeps it’s way up to the door, evil follows.

Review:
After reading Human Flesh which I really enjoyed, I was excited to be given the opportunity to read They Come at Night. The synopsis didn’t grab my
Pat Eroh
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great teen horror story with great characters and an awesome storyline! I was captured in the beginning and held to the story to the end - I could not put this down. It is a short story with a great twist.

Tina
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The characters are portrayed so clearly that you can imagine them and see them doing the things throughout the book. I recommend this book to one and all.

I received a free copy of this book. This review was posted voluntarily.
AnneKR
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing teen mystery

A good, short read about a group of teens staying the weekend at their friend’s parent’s beach house. Thinking they will have a relaxing time & having fun in the sun, their weekend takes a chilling turn as ominous events occur in the middle of the night. Can they figure out what’s happening before “they” come back? Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Amanda Lyons
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This short story follows a group of four friends as they spend the weekend at a beach house. When they get there no one else is at the beach and they think they have it made. A storm starts brewing and strange things start happening at night. Over the course of a few days the friends try and make sense of what is happening when they sleep. I really liked this book. It's a quick read with a good plot. My only issue is I wish it were longer!
Liana Vanoyan
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Despite it being a short book of, the author has given a complete story. Disbelief, doubt, suspicion, shock, helplessness and determination all were seen. Characters went through a gamut of these emotions that made this so thrilling. Those from the sea were well described from their looks to smell to their behavior.
Simon Leonard
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to have read Dreamland last month, which is what attracted me to this one.
The book follows a group of teens who go to one of their parent's beach houses when they see and hear strange things at night.
During the day everything is nice and they are all happily playing, but
The book is a really good example of Teen horror, with enough suspense and scares to keep any horror lover entertained.
The main part of the story is all about the unseen terror, which makes the horror aspect
R.J. Rosatte
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Authur Nick Clausen has the uncanny ability to make everyday, mundane things unbelievably scary! A weekend at the cottage? What could go wrong? Just remember to lock the doors before settling in to read this spine tingler! Cudos, Mr. Clausen!
Michelle Willms
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good tale

Nice short horror story. This is a tale about friends who visit a cabin by the ocean only to discover that they lack some necessary information about the area. Once each year, for three days, things become very deadly for those who don't know the proper protection mechanisms.
Lixa Santiago
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book I read from this author was Human Flesh and I loved it so much that I decided to give this one a chance and I wasn't disappointed. It was a scary, heart pounding story. I recommend it to everyone. I'm really enjoying this author's work ...more
Monte
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was decent

This was the first of Nick Clausen's books I have read, though I'll be reading more soon, I'm sure. However, I'm holding my judgement on him as a writer, and I'll tell you why. Understand a couple of things first, though. Number one, this is more of a story than a book. It's really short, I went through it in thirty minutes, and that was just light reading. Number two, this story has been translated. It's not originally written in english. I don't know if all his stories are that
Bruce Blanchard
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Tide by Nick Clausen that I read has been re-named They Come At Night and a new cover of a palish face playing hide and seek. This is not someone/something you care to meet some night at the shore. In a way this is a classic tale from the likes of the horror masters who take innocents, throw them in a nature setting, leak in the supernatural aspects, and say Run, Baby, Run! The story is four young adults getting away from it all in a beach house. The prologue will tell you something bad is ...more
Energy
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Four young friends are headed out to their parent's vacation cottage to spend a few days near the water. They have everything they need to have a good time. But there's a boy who keeps trying to hammer an anchor into their doorway and they don't know why. Perhaps he's the reason they wake to find their door is covered in scratches.

Even though it was a novella, you got a full sense of the story and the teens. The characters were just deep enough for them each to have a unique personality. If I
Katharina
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
They Come At Night by Nick Clausen is about the weekend trip of 4 friends to a cottage at the sea. It starts like a happy vacation till some strange boy tries to put an anchor above their door. The next night a big storm came up and the tide even reaches the house. During the storm someone or something scratched the door and frightened them. Was it the boy from earlier? Or is all of this somehow connected to the strange behavior of the sea? The four of them investigate the situation and find out ...more
Fae's Finds aka Corrie
This is the second book I have reviewed for Nick Clausen, which also happens to be his first short horror. He kindly asked me to review this for him, as it was rereleased in English.

Overall rating is 3.5 .

This is fair in atmosphere. Seaside vacation cottage, during the time of year the tides are the most unforgiving. Four friends decided to hang out for the weekend. And strange things start happening.

I liked it. I enjoyed a different perspective with those that come at night. I mean, you should
Iseult Murphy
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four friends spend a week at a beach house, enjoying the sun, sea and movies, but something is in the water and it’s coming for them.
This book starts with a frightening letter written by a dying man, before the story continues with Jayden, Sienna, Max, Richard and golden retriever, Spike. That’s one of the things I like about Nick Clausen’s books, there is frequently a dog in them.
I liked the characters of the four friends, and I found their interaction believable. It’s the sort of vacation I
W.
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I have read by this author. He has done it again in his fast paced short story of horror. He raises the bar for the genre one tale at a time! The Sea has always appealed to me in it's mysteriousness. Now, however, in what I am realizing is the true Clausen Fashion I do not worry about "Jaws" any longer but rather what comes at night.
-To The Author- Another Great Read. You are on fire!
samba
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
One can’t simply stop reading Nick Clausen’s books. They always keep you wanting to know more. My only complaint of this book has to be (once again) that it’s too short. Not because being short makes it a bad read, but I feel like if he wrote a 500+ page book, I would still try to read it in one sitting and would probably still feel like i wanted to know more. I will keep recommending his books to everyone who likes horror.

• Ghostland
  • The Sleep Experiment (World's Scariest Legends #2)
  • Dark Web
  • Mountain of the Dead
  • Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)
  • Mosquito Man (World's Scariest Legends)
  • Slash
  • Deadbreak
  • Law & Disorder
  • Clowns Vs. Spiders
  • The Sensitives (The Sensitives, #1)
  • What Kind of Girl
  • The Hike
  • Painkiller
  • The Elements of the Crown (The Elements of Kamdaria)
  • Maniac on the Loose
  • The Haunted Forest Tour
  • Dark and Deadly Things (Dark Things #1)
Born 1988 in North Jutland, where I still live with my wife, who also happened to be my earliest childhood girlfriend. From 2017 I have lived as a full-time writer. Up until then, I had different jobs beside the writing. I have been studying as a carpenter for three years, and have also read two years of psychology at Aalborg University. It turned out that the writing had a much more powerful pull ...more