Start by marking “Law and Addiction” as Want to Read:
Law and Addiction

Law and Addiction

One week before Jake Rutledge is scheduled to graduate from law school, he receives the devastating news of the death of his fraternal twin, Blake. What makes this death even more terrible for Jake is that his brother died of a drug overdose. Until hearing of his death, Jake had no idea his brother was even using drugs.

When Jake returns home to Oakley, West Virginia, he ta
Published May 21st 2019 by Waterside Productions

To ask other readers questions about Law and Addiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Law and Addiction

Start your review of Law and Addiction
Briar's Reviews
Law and Addiction by Mike Papantonio is a unique read that dives into the corruption of the opioid epidemic.

Through the eyes of an attorney, we see the world falling apart due to the extreme decisions about wildly corrosive medication. The opioid epidemic is a truly interesting topic to talk about in a book. Everyone knows about it yet it is somehow a very touchy topic. Almost everyone I know is aware of someone who suffers from addictions, normally due to opioids. Having a book address these is
Sherry Fundin
Mike Papantonion has done an excellent job in showing how greed and corruption can be carried to such an extreme that bodies are falling by the thousands and towns are dying because of it. Truly horrifying!

Let;s look at it through an attorney’s eye…though it is fiction, I feel Mike Papantonio shares a lot of himself in Law and Addiction.

I am not going to get on a pedestal and rant, but I do not think the media has done a good enough job of covering this epidemic that the United States is facing
Viviane Crystal
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Opioid addiction has become a national crisis! More cases of overdose fill the news on a weekly basis. Police regularly carry and administer Narcan for overdosing addicts. Meanwhile, as Mike Papantonio has so carefully and deftly delineated in this fictional account of reality, attempts to deal with the problem on a local and national basis continue, attempts to stem a raging flood of addiction and death.

Jake Rutledge is a new lawyer who lost his twin brother to this horrifying disease. Jake and
Linda Zagon
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda’s Book Obsession Reviews “Law and Addiction” by Mike Papantoino, Waterside Productions, April 2019.

WOW! WOW! Kudos to Mike Papantonio, Author of “Law and Addiction” (A Legal Thriller) for writing such a captivating, intriguing, enthralling, suspenseful, page-turning, riveting, unpredictable and thought-provoking novel. The Genres for this novel are Legal Thriller, Suspense and Mystery and Fiction. Mike Papantonio is a well-known attorney that has helped fight major legal battles with high-
Lel Budge
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say the publishers blurb really says it all so that makes it a bit difficult to review.

However, here goes…...Jake is a lawyer who’s brother was addicted to opioid medication and dies as a result. Jake decides to sue two pharma companies who market the drugs to highlight the extent of the problem ravaging the country.

Obviously they are not happy with this and do everything they can to ‘persuade’ him to drop the case.

This is a truly chilling legal thriller due to its subject matter, the
Jessica
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tours
Thanks to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for the free copy in exchange for my honest review

This was my introduction to Papantonio and I had heard nothing but great things before picking up LAW AND ADDICTION. I’m going to start out by saying that the author’s knowledge and experience in this field is very evident. I love picking up fiction that has topics that the author is well-versed in or has worked in the field they’re writing about. That gives the book a very authentic feel.

The opioid prob
C. Gonzales
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Sometimes I get to a point where I feel bogged down in a certain genre and need a change. That is when a Suspense/Mystery/Thriller is always my go-to. I feel like they make me think and help get my mind off of things more than any other genre.

What would you do if someone who was your other half dies and the circumstances surrounding their death just don't make sense?

There is a great balance between the characters, their life, and the suspense/thriller aspect. I loved being about to understand J
Daniel Casey
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Law and Addiction will not only satisfy readers who devour thrillers but also stand as a testament to how to challenge and rollback the opioid epidemic still facing the nation.

Read full review here: https://misanthropester.com/2019/02/0...
Heather

I was interested in reading Law and Addiction because I work in a town that has been hit hard by the opioid epidemic.  Every week I read the local paper purely for the police blotter.  In between the entertaining tales of some really stupid criminals there is report after report of officers treating overdoses.  I find it interesting to see how many dose of naloxone they need for each person.  The record I've seen so far is 14 doses.  (That person then woke up and refused all other medical treat
Carla
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Law and Addiction was an incredibly powerful, thought provoking novel. I was pulled right in from Chapter One and could not put it down. I felt a range of emotions throughout the novel, anger, compassion, hurt – but definitely a lot of anger.

The story begins with the death of Blake, Jake’s fraternal twin from an overdose. Jake, who was just finishing law school, is shattered as he never saw the signs of addiction in his brother. He is left wondering how did this happen, could he have done more,
Miriam Downey
Read my full review here: https://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot....

Lots of books are advertised as “torn from today’s headlines.” But Law and Addiction actually is.

Here is the summary:
“One week before Jake Rutledge is scheduled to graduate from law school, he receives the devastating news of the death of his fraternal twin, Blake. What makes this death even more terrible for Jake is that his brother died of a drug overdose. Until hearing of his death, Jake had no idea his brother was even using
Lel Budge
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it

This is a truly chilling legal thriller due to its subject matter, the op
Heather
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-tour
The opioid crisis has been on the nation’s radar in the last several years, and Mike Papantonio, a longtime and prolific trial attorney as well as author of his third novel, Law and Addiction, takes on the escalating diverted prescription drug problem in fiction form with a well-researched, well-documented, and entertaining thriller.

Newly graduated attorney Jake Rutledge loses his twin brother to an opioid overdose. When Jake returns to their small West Virginia hometown, he’s surprised by how e
Cori
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Law and Addiction is classified as a legal thriller. I wouldn’t categorize it as a thriller, at least not in the way that most people would expect. What the book does contain is this — a lawyer takes on opioid distributers to try to make them accountable for the devastations that opioids have caused throughout America, including his twin brother’s overdose related death. These large companies have purposely flooded small towns with a vast supply of drugs, all while knowing how addicting they are ...more
Coralee Hicks
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: procedural
Papantonio was a highly regarded tort lawyer before he began writing Legal Thrillers. His very successful career includes a turn as President of the National Trial Lawyers Association, and was selected as one of the youngest trial lawyers to be inducted into the Trial Lawyer Hall of Fame. Many readers may recognize him from his nationally syndicated radio show"Ring of Fire". Law and addiction is his third novel following the success of Law and disorder (2016) and Law and Vengeance (2017).

In Law
Geoff
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Recommendation: Definitely worth the read, this book does so much more than it set out to do. Sure, you have the opioid epidemic and Jake's triple personal stake in it by the end of the novel, but you have issues such as corporate oversight, corporate interference in government work, corrupt government and law enforcement officials, and then all the personal stories on top of that!

My Response: Unlike, Off the Grid , this book was worth saying yes to the publicist.* This book was engaging,
Kate
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, reviewed
This is a timely legal thriller. Our country is facing a crisis in the our communities as we deal every day with new opiod overdoses. The cost is more than we should be willing to accept.

I had some complaints about this book, but after closing it, I realized my complaints were perhaps petty, but also a good strategy to sharing the more important message of this story.

We are given a perfect hero. He has had some challenges in his life, but he is a crusader and he's smart and kind and able to get
William Bentrim
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Law and Addiction by Mike Papantonio
It isn’t often that you recommend a fictional novel as being important but I do so recommend this as being important. I read Dreamland last fall which was non-fiction focusing on the opioid crisis. Papantonio’s novel is a fictional book on the same crisis but based on what I have learned since reading Dreamland, this novel is thinly disguised reality. Dreamland also gave me the impetus to do some research into the pill mills.
Jake and Blake are twins. Blake st
David Baird
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jake Rutledge is about to have his world turned upside down. As a youngster growing up Jake and his twin brother Blake were close but when Jake goes off to law school Blake starts to hide the truth from his brother.

After the heart breaking news that Blake has died of a drug overdose Jake returns to his home town.

Soon a picture starts to form… it’s not just Blake who has suffered thanks to drugs..It seems like his home town is struggling to win a win addiction..it’s so much bigger than Jake first
Amy Christine Lesher
First, I was offered a review copy from the author's publicists.

I was able to make it to page 20 before giving up. In the beginning of the book the twin who dies of an overdose has a moment of clarity before dying of his brother returning to town and needing to get off the drugs. I have a hard time believing that you could have a moment of clarity before dying of a drug overdose.

When Jake, the lawyer, arrives in town I had several issues with his backstory. I currently have a family member atte
Alana Bloom
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a little bit longer to get into Law and Addiction, but as soon as Jake assembled his legal team this became a page-turner for me. Papantonio did a commendable job leading readers through the intricacies of this sort of litigation all while utilizing language that even a layman could understand.

I didn’t feel particularly satisfied at the end but given the opioid epidemic is still a very relevant issue these days, I shouldn’t have expected it to be wrapped up with a bow. Perhaps most st
Troy
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Law and Addiction by Mike Papantonio will draw you in and hold your attention till the very last page. The story is centered around Jake Rutledge, a very persistent young attorney who won’t let anything stand in his way of obtaining justice for the death of his twin brother. Along the way Jake teams up with a powerful plaintiff attorney who helps him navigate the complex web of corporate corruption. With each turn of the page, the dynamic duo uncovers the evidence needed to build their case and ...more
Cassidy
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This well researched novel provides insights into the scope and nature of the opioid crisis in America. By weaving the details into a well written novel, the author takes readers behind the statistics and media hype to the people and communities who are most affected – real people, the addicts and their families. Even “good guys” can get hooked, sometimes through no fault of their own. You are quickly drawn into the story and held captive, wanting to see how things play out – both within the co ...more
Jessica Hoopingarner
The author goes 3/3 with another great read here. The first few chapters will have your attention grabbed and invested in the outcome and story of the main characters. I won't spoil anything but the author does a great job of making the reader feel like they are a part of the story and even might find themselves with a bit of nervous excitement as the newby attorney faces his first big test in front of the judge.

If I were to be critical, the only downside to this book is there isn't a grand con
Lovely Loveday
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Law and Addiction by Mike Papantonio is a captivating, suspenseful. a page-turner that is unpredictable and thought-provoking. A novel that is perfect for fans of mystery suspense thrillers with its twists and turns ups and downs and things that are unpredictable and frightening. Once I started reading I could not put down. The characters are well-developed with intriguing backstories that help to tell the story. Papantonio is a remarkable writer that draws you in and holds your attention until ...more
R.K. Emery
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
That synopsis completely drew me in. I knew I wanted to read this novel and had high hopes for the story and writing.

The premise is unique, which made me excited to read it just from the synopsis. This is one of those stories that will start off with a bang and not let up until the very last page.

The plot was very well paced and while some parts were easy to predict, there were also plenty of surprises along the way and ultimately it led to a great read overall.

You will not be disappointed by
Nickie Sale
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book. The storyline is based around the current opioid addiction crisis and Jake, a newly qualified lawyer who's brother dies from this "disease". Little does he realise just how widespread this disease has become, or how easy it is for people to succumb to. The very nature of this disease and it's effects on people from family and friends right up to law enforcement, is exposed and it's brutality is brought to the fore. I would have preferred that the story carried on further a ...more
Carol Moore
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mike Papantonio captures the heart of the Opioid crisis in America with this thrilling and heartbreaking story. His characters become real as you follow their path through Opioid addiction and the symptoms of withdrawal. Papantonio has shined the light on big pharma and their marketing dollars spent on pushing this drug into society. As one reads the story, you think about your family, friends and neighbors and what if they are unknowingly the next addict. Buy it today, you won't be disappointed ...more
Bridgett Brown
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.
Jake Rutlege comes back from graduating law school and goes to the cemetery to visit his twin brother who had died from an overdose the week before. Jake notices how the town has gone down hill and of the Opioid crisis in the area. Jake wants to find the ones responsible for it and take them down. He did go to Law school. But little does Jake know the dangers that await him. Everything from corrupt cops to Blackmailing and throw in a ton more overdoses.
Ov
Samantha Turley
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This is a very character driven novel and I love the fact that Papantonio gives us both characters to root for and dislike.

My favorite part of this novel was the fact that along the way you don't know what is going to come next. There were many surprises and the way that the author was able to keep the pacing just right really helps everything flow naturally.

There is a darker element to the novel that I loved. I also really enjoyed the authenticity of the crime element.

• No Truth Left To Tell
  • Firewall
  • Fire and Vengeance
  • Revenge Comes Calling (Katie and Malone Mysteries Book 1)
  • Tin Badges
  • Act of Murder (Doc Brady #1)
  • Off the Grid
  • The Circle-A Killings
  • The Third to Die
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • No One Will Hear Your Screams (John Driscoll Mystery)
  • In the Canyons of Shadow and Light
  • Bad Axe County
  • The Last Sword Maker (The Course of Empire #1)
  • The Reflecting Pool
  • Kidnapped on Safari (Mbuno & Pero, #3)
  • Some Choose Darkness
  • Forever My Duke (Unlikely Duchesses, #2)
Mike Papantonio is a senior partner of Levin Papantonio, one of the largest plaintiffs’ law firms in America, that has handled thousands of cases throughout the nation involving pharmaceutical drug litigation, Florida tobacco litigation, litigation for asbestos-related health damage, securities fraud actions, and other mass tort cases. “Pap” has received dozens of multimillion dollar verdicts on b ...more