Start by marking “The Ghouls of Howlfair” as Want to Read:
The Ghouls of Howlfair

The Ghouls of Howlfair

The scariest legends are about to come true!

Molly Thompson has lots of questions. Questions like, is her Aunt Carol an undead fiend who drinks the blood of the living? Is she secretly lurking in the attic? And is Molly's friend Lowry a descendant of a long line of Kroglin werewolves?

Serious young historian Molly suspects that the creepy legends about her tourist t
Published October 3rd 2019 by Walker Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ghouls of Howlfair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghouls of Howlfair

Start your review of The Ghouls of Howlfair
Whispering Stories
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Molly Thompson lives at the Excelsior Guesthouse with her mum, the owner. Molly is a very inquisitive young girl who loves to investigate all the going on in the village she lives in, Howlfair. From trying to find out whether her Aunt is a vampire, to solving the case on whether her best friend Lowry is a descendant of Werewolves destined to change as the Blue Moon arrives.

Her mum is not very happy with her investigating the residents in the village and afte
stefiereads
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autumn-tbr-2019
What a fun read!!!
Our main character, Molly, reminds me a lot of Nancy Drew.
The Ghouls of Howlfair is a must read this autumn. It kept me curious from the very first page. And I really adore Molly, how strong and fierce she is. I adore Molly and that last part though... I love!
The other characters are also interesting, they are not boring. Hence, I am so interested to know more about the other characters too (Felicity and Lowry, and Carl). Like I would love to know them deeper.
Imogen White
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't recommend The Ghouls of Howlfair highly enough. This spooky mystery is brilliantly written, VERY funny and has the BEST female protagonist I have come across is an age - in fact, I would gladly follow Molly Thompson to the Gates of Hell and back! - and, I'll wager, so will you!
Certainly the one to watch as far as debut mid-grade is concerned. Thank you to Walker Books for giving me the chance to read the proof. I raced through it. Utterly brilliant!
To be published later this year.
sgould8
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was just what I needed- a fun and slightly spooky read.
legenbooksdary
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a spooky read combined with a Nancy Drew kind of vibe. I can see so much of Nancy Drew in Molly, they both have a parent who doesn't allow them to continue investigating when they love to do it so much and they just can't resist uncovering yet another mystery after another. Their world just revolves around it.

I really wasn't expecting for this kind of book to turn out to be just like this. What I mean by that is that this book is a middle grade book yet it contains so much more than tha
Dirk
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Howlfair was famous for its ghosts and ghouls and werewolves in the past. But now it looks like that the creeping legends will come true again.

Young Molly is driven by questions like "Is there an undead family member?" or "Is my friend Lowry a werewolf?" and so she is investigating the creepy history of Howlfair and find more and more indices, that ghouls are taking over the town ... Can she find a way to save her town? And whom can she trust in?

This book will be published soon. Get
Lindsay Currie
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Kudos, Nick Tomlinson. The Ghouls Of Howlfair was a fabulously spooky read from the start. So refreshing to see a bold, resourceful and empathetic female protagonist who isn't afraid to stand out! I devoured this book in nearly one sitting. Thank you, Walker Books, for the opportunity to take an early look! Nick has just made one heck of a splash onto the scene of spooky middle-grade fiction!
Sara
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a lovely middle grade book! I'm not massively into spooky books but this one won me over. It's so well written with super strong female characters, and covers topics such as friendship, grief and loss, mystery and fantasy. Would definitely appeal to YA readers too!
Carolyn
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Did you like, or do you still like, shows like Scooby Doo? The idea of solving mysteries? Spooky stories? If so, then I definitely recommend Ghouls of Howlfair. Follow the adventures of Historian Molly Thompson, as she investigates the spooky legends of her hometown of Howlfair only to have everything turn a bit Buffy (that's my way of hinting at the plot without spoiling it :D).
Well written - as well as spooky it's also genuinely funny, and what looks like could be the start of a very interest
Kristin
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story was delightful: memorable characters, funny situations and dialogue. It was suspenseful and perfectly paced. The main character is well-developed. Like many girls her age, she's full of courage, determination, and compassion, but she's got plenty of growing up to do, and that makes for some great scenes. Readers who enjoy strong (but not perfect) female characters, mystery, and humor, and who can handle a little bit of ghoulishness--talk of ghouls being summoned to torment and devour ...more
Strawberry
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book is such a good read and so much more tense and thrilling than I thought it would be! ‘The Ghouls of Howlfair’ has a lovely front cover illustration with the title made of shiny reflective silver (which may not be clear in the piture above). the story is a good one, Molly Thompson lives in Howlfair, a town that’s filled with lots of stories and history about strange and ghostly happenings. Being the best investigator in town, Molly’s managed to unearth many secrets about Howlfair’s ...more
Carissa
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Well this was delightfully spooky! This is the perfect Halloween or shivery winter night read for those of us who like our ghoulish hauntings with a dash of fun.

The Ghouls of Howlfair is the sort of Middle Grade book that’s a treat for both adults and young readers alike.

As you join Molly Thompson on her mission to investigate every resident of her small town (whether they want to be investigated or not - mostly not!) you’ll encounter a gaggle of quirky characters — any o
Lilyfae
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for Octobers and year round chills this has flavours of Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Veronica Mars with an early series Supernatural ghoulish twist.

This book is intensely brilliant, it’s pitched perfectly at the edge of that ‘heart in the throat’ chilling thrills for the young reader but holds the readers hand enough with strong characters being brave to stop it becoming frightening.
Just enough though as there are some intense haunting scenes that very sensitive soul
Kathie
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Here's a great spooky MG read that combines creepy, funny, and mystery in a brew that middle grader readers will guzzle down.

Molly is inquisitive, some may even call her nosy, but she wants real answers to legends about her town. Unfortunately, not everyone wants her to uncover the stories of the past, and her mother finally bans her from doing more research when the complaints about her intrusiveness reach a breaking point. Molly and her friend, Lowry, along with her guardian cat, Gabriel, con
Katya de Becerra
This sounds like an absolute spooky delight and I NEED it.
Mary Judy
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the first page, this book grabbed me and would not let go. Molly is such a brilliantly painted character; clever, funny, inquisitive, determined, brave and with an very keen eye. Her sense of responsibility for others and for discovering the truth shine through at all times, even when she is at her most vulnerable. Set in a town made real through rich description and full of local colour and quirky residents, the reader can sense the atmosphere and settles in quickly to the surrounds of How ...more
Mary Rees
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Open this book – if you dare – and be prepared for the most PERFECT ghoulish tale! It had me completely engrossed from the opening: overflowing with eerie happenings and brimming with laugh-out-loud moments and hilarious incidents!
12-year-old Molly Thompson is Howlfair’s local intrepid historian; she has an insatiable curiosity about the town’s ghoulish past and is determined to investigate any unearthly occurrences. And boy, are there sinister happenings galore in this wonderfully enjoyable sp
Samantha Solarz
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: primary-school
Don't wait for next Halloween to read this wonderfully funny fast-paced story. It's not just about ghouls! A wonderful debut MG novel that will entertain fans of both mystery and the supernatural for anytime of the year. Full of quirky characters, trouble is working out which ones are trustworthy.
Molly and her mum run a guesthouse in the town of Howlfair, after losing Dad to an illness. Molly, along with her cat Gabriel (who is super cool, btw), like to solve mysteries much to the annoyanc
Sophie Green
Lori Jimenez
Oct 24, 2019
Josh Alliston
Jun 02, 2019
Nick Tomlinson is a former English, Drama and Special Needs teacher, academic learning mentor, singing waiter and admin clerk. He has performed in a sell-out show at the Edinburgh Fringe, accidentally camped on a military target range in West Africa, and managed to pass his karate black belt grading despite choking on his gum shield. A lifelong bookworm, Nick has been writing stories since he was ...more