Start by marking “Four Dead Queens” as Want to Read:
Four Dead Queens

Four Dead Queens

A divided nation. Four Queens. A ruthless pickpocket. A noble messenger. And the murders that unite them.

Get in quick, get out quicker.

These are the words Keralie Corrington lives by as the preeminent dipper in the Concord, the central area uniting the four quadrants of Quadara. She steals under the guidance of her mentor Mackiel, who runs a black market selling their boun
Hardcover, Owlcrate exclusive, 413 pages
Published February 26th 2019 by G.P Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Four Dead Queens, please sign up.
Astrid Scholte Yes! The story of Four Dead Queens is completed by the end of the book.
Astrid Scholte Yes! There are a few couples in the book. :)

Emily May
Four Dead Queens was being given away when I attended the Penguin talk at Comic-Con back in July 2018. Before this, I knew nothing about it, but I was immediately drawn in by the promise of a murder mystery in a fantasy setting. I'm a sucker for murder mysteries in general, and adding this to a fantasy world seemed like a recipe for excellence.

It didn't really work for me, though. Part of the problem might be that this book - a standalone, it seems - tries to do too many things and stretches its
MischaS_
I am very pleasantly surprised here! For a debut? It is pretty damn good!

And also the fabulous buddy-read with Mary helped me to enjoy this book even more!

description

- This was me while reading all the time! Since we were reading only 5 or 6 chapters per day (okay except for the last but one when we read 12 but WE NEEDED ANSWERS!)

- Mary had to suffer through numerous of my conspiracy theories and since I had so much time to think about those theories. Some of them were crazily correct! I have to say; my th
Melanie
Jun 03, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I'm the fifth dead queen because this cover and synop has SLAIN ME! GOODBYE!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
jessica
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
some of the best characters are those who blend the line between right and wrong, those whose ambiguous actions lead to even more conflicting intentions, and i am loving how these morally grey characters are finally getting the attention they deserve. keralie is a shining example of this.

i love her character development in this story. its so strong, makes sense, and is done in a very satisfying way. her storyline alternates with glimpses into the lives of each of the queens and i thought this w
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Thank you Netgalley for the sneak peak - the first five chapters of this book.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this book but I couldn't put it down. The world building and characters were interesting and the intrigue is now killing me... I need to know how the rest goes!

Will pick up the book when it comes out at the end of the month!
C.G. Drews
i won't be reviewing this one in full, but I feel uncomfortable if i don't speak frankly about two harmful things:

(1) this book buries its queers unapologetically
(2) it has a society built on eugenics and this isn't called out or indicated to be a despicable crime (in fact it's warmly stated at the end that, since one of the characters has a genetic disability, that they're "doing their best" to fix "genetic flaws" after birth as well. Maybe it'd be great to have a world with no terminal genetic
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
March Owlcrate Unboxing. Click on link below the pic to see the Goodies

THE GOODIES
Mary S. R.
4.25 STARS! such an impressive and gripping book for a debut. A new author I'm looking forward to read more from :)

“Dream bigger,” he’d said. “Want more. Don’t ask. Take it.”

I won't deny that I was anticipating reading this, but I was not expecting it to be so spectacular! My head was spinning trying to find that assassin. WOW. A fun buddy read with the girl with crazy theories, aka Mischa :)

There's been a huge criticism pointed at this book which is—I'm sorry but it really is—bullshit. I have r
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, arc, sneak-peek
****I received an advance review copy (sneak peek in this case) for free in exchange for an honest review, and I am leaving this honest review voluntarily.

I completely missed that this is only a sneak peek! I reached a WTF moment and wanted to know what next and there is nothing! I really, really need the rest of this book.

I wanted to read this book since when I found about this book in September. However, I already voiced my concerns that this book with its title and maybe even cover may confu
Nick
Mar 21, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I think I will go broke this year
Anissa (FairyLoot)
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-release
Wow. Read this in pretty much one sitting - I just had to know what would happen next. Quadara is such a rich world and the mystery kept me on the edge of my seat (along with the wonderful characters)!
MischaS_
Very curious about this one! Cannot wait for it. However, at first glance, I thought it was a book by Kendare Blake from the Three Dark Crowns series. Because of the cover and the title. Hopefully, that will be the only resemblance. But I will surely read this one.
Kerri
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
official comments to come!
Astrid Scholte
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books, fantasy, ya
The Penguin Teen Pre-order giveaway is live! Check out the amazing Welcome to Quadara pins you can choose from when you pre-order!
Pre-order link

US Residents, 13+. Ends 2/25/19. See terms at http://bit.ly/FourDeadQueensPreOrder

Want to be the first to hear about release dates, snippets, swag and ARCS? Then sign up for my newsletter here!

spacer

Seventeen-year-old Keralie Corrington may seem harmless,
julianna ➹
I've got to say— for the first 25% of this book, I was really just not feeling it. Everything felt dull to me, it read like one of those classic fantasies, and something just didn't *click* for me the way that I wanted it to. I found Keralie frustrating, the plot unordinary, and the worldbuilding mostly mediocre. I was finding problems with the writing and it was just hard for me to get into.

But damn, y'all, the last 50% of the book deserves ten stars on its own. I mean, the plot took such a tu
Sh3lly
Buddy read with You Are Never too Old to Young Adult.

This was sort of an impromptu read. This is a debut novel, and perhaps one of the best debuts I have ever read. It's edited well, and the plotting and pacing is great, in my view.

It's about four different kingdoms which make up a country that doesn't exist in our world. One queen rules each and they provide different things for each other. One kingdom has fertile soil and grows food. One is in a cold and icy region and they focus on technology
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Well... I finished it. Really intriguing concept, I can actually see this play out really well as a tv series. But the execution was a bit flat.

Follow me on ♥ FacebookBlogInstagramTwitter
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Allen and Unwin for review.

I don’t actually know where to begin writing this review. I can’t believe I’m still having to write a review like this in 2019. I will start off with this statement:

Authors, publishing: STOP BURYING YOUR GAYS.

I do not care if it’s ignorance or naivete or whatever the fuck reason there is that you have buried the gays in your book – you need to stop. Someone needs to start catching this and stopping this. We can’t keep having books w
Cesar
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.

Four Dead Queens is a decent fantasy debut. With a premise of four queens being killed and two people caught in the midst of a conspiracy, it sounds very promising.

But in the end, I wasn't impressed. It started out good but the more I read, the more flaws I started to discover. And with those flaws, my enjoyment went down. I will say that Four Dead Queen isn't a bad novel. It has potential, but that potential is, unfortunately, squandered down by issues.

Four Dead Queens is a sci-fi/fa
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Official comments: "A cinematic thrill ride brimming with murder, mayhem, and twists that will shock you, Four Dead Queens is sure to be your next book obsession. Absolutely riveting."

Unofficial Comments: I JUST REALLY LOVED IT, OKAY? Please read it. For me. Do it!
Elise (On The Bookshelves)
Had the privilege of receiving an ARC from Allen & Unwin to review for my website, The Nerd Daily. Review still to come, buuuuuuut this ended up taking me by surprise. I thought I had it all figured out, which is partly why I started to lose interest, and then about halfway there's two plot twists and you just don't know what to think anymore...
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Rating ~2.5?

Well, this was a mixed bag of something.

*Review to Come*
Brittany
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi, ya, year-2019
3.5 🌟 Stars!!

“Sometimes failure is the beginning of success”

Keralie Corrington is a pickpocket who lives by the words "Get in quick, get out quicker." She works under the guidance of her mentor Mackiel, who runs a black market selling their bounty to buyers desperate for what they can’t get in their own quarter. For in the nation of Quadara, each quarter is strictly divided from the other. Four queens rule together, one from each region:

Toria: the intellectual quarter that values education
 Amelia
And this, ladies and gentleman, is what every fantasy should be like. I can't remember the last time I read such a quality standalone fantasy novel - EVERYTHING was on point.

First of all, the concept of four murders - four dead queens is so interesting. Like how does one kill the 4 most guarded people in the country? Why? How did no one catch them? I had SO MANY QUESTIONS. And the queens themselves were AMAZING.

Every queen was such a complex character - they had emotions, layers, feelings but t
Sharlize D'Souza
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 stars*
Dang, I really loved this book!
While the plot had a number of fillers, I was pleased with how it kept me on my toes. The characters were well rounded and I loved the way the author managed to fit in so many attributes in such a few pages. Even though each of the queens did not have a lot of personal page time as such. I still managed to get attached to them and understand their struggles. I do wish however that we had Varin's perspective too. I also wish that everything could have bee
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
Rule thirteen: Only a queen may sit upon the throne. When she takes the throne, she accepts the responsibility to rule the quadrant until her dying day.
The good news, I started reading again. The bad news, I didn't enjoy this as much as I wanted too. But I will forever be grateful to this book for pulling me out of such a horrible slump. Four Dead Queens follows renowned thief Keralie Corrington as she’s thrust into a dark conspiracy that leaves all four of Quadra’s queens dead. Ke
Aqsa
Mar 03, 2019 marked it as tbr-soon  ·  review of another edition
Wanna read it because of Mary!
Katie
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, bookcon-2018, lgbtq
When I first picked up this book, the title and summary caught my eye. I don't usually read murder mysteries, but the plot sounded interesting. Unfortunately, the book didn't live up to my expectations.

I had a lot of issues with this book though I don't want to go into too much detail because it hasn't been published yet. My biggest gripe was the plot. I'm a plot over characters person, so even if I don't like the characters (I didn't), I can still enjoy a book if the plot is interesting. The pl
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/02/23/...

Wow, Four Dead Queens was pretty great, and if you’ve followed my reviews for a while, you probably know that’s not praise I bestow on YA too lightly, especially when it comes to debuts. Then again, it’s not often that I encounter a YA debut that completely takes me by surprise, which immediately made this one special—and I loved that it didn’t turn out the way I expected.

First of all, this story is really more of murder m
All the Books!: Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte 6 7 Apr 17, 2019 10:35AM
Addicted to YA: Four Dead Queens 23 60 Apr 16, 2019 09:21PM
You Are Never Too...: Four Dead Queens - March 31, 2019 16 10 Apr 06, 2019 10:36AM
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Nameless Queen
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Beholder
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Fall Like Thieves
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Half King (Untitled #1)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth
  • Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)
  • Last of Her Name
  • Descendant of the Crane
Raised on a diet of Spielberg, Lucas and Disney, Astrid knew she wanted to be surrounded by all things fantastical from a young age. She’s spent the last 10 years working in film, animation and television as both an artist and manager. Career highlights include working on James Cameron's AVATAR, Steven Spielberg's THE ADVENTURES OF TIN TIN and HAPPY FEET 2 by George Miller. She’s a visual writer a ...more
“Sometimes failure is the beginning of success” 7 likes
“Be patient, child. Be calm. Be selfless. Wait for the right moment. Wait for your time. Rule with a steady hand. A steady heart.” 4 likes