Start by marking “A Merry Murder (A Special Pennyfoot Hotel Myst Book 10)” as Want to Read:
A Merry Murder (A Special Pennyfoot Hotel Myst Book 10)

A Merry Murder

(Pennyfoot Hotel #22)

It is an Edwardian Christmas, and the Pennyfoot Hotel is all dressed up. But when one of the guests turns up dead, owner Cecily Sinclair Baxter realizes it is not only the Pennyfoot that is back in business—the hotel's Christmas curse is, too...

The Pennyfoot halls are decked with boughs of holly, a magnificently decorated tree graces the lobby, and the hotel's bookings are fin
Published October 1st 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Merry Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Merry Murder

Start your review of A Merry Murder (A Special Pennyfoot Hotel Myst Book 10)
Jeanie
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: obs
This is the first cozy mystery I've read in the delightful Pennyfoot series, and I hope it won't be the last! The murder is finely plotted and executed, the characters are unique and demonstrated through their words and actions, and the rural, early 20th century setting is perfect for the Christmas season.

I think that it would have been helpful for me to read some of the earlier books in the series before jumping in with this one, as I had a bit of catch-up to do with the hotel, char
OpenBookSociety.com

By Kate Kingsbury
ISBN 9781984805928
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Jeanie

Synopsis:

It is an Edwardian Christmas, and the Pennyfoot Hotel is all dressed up. But when one of the guests turns up dead, owner Cecily Sinclair Baxter realizes it is not only the Pennyfoot that is back in business—the hotel’s Christmas curse is, too…

The Pennyfoot h
The Cozy Review
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Series: A Special Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery – Book 10
Author: Kate Kingsbury
Genre: Cozy Mystery/Holiday/B&B/Inn/Hotel
Publisher: Berkley
Page Count: 304

A special holiday book for the upcoming season from Berkley is the new “Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery” series by Kate Kingsbury A Merry Murder.

Readers will enjoy reading about the decorations and the cast of characters that help run the hotel. Suspects abound and the killer in unexpected. The main character, Cecily is smart, funny
4 Stars
Drebbles
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Cecily Sinclair Baxter, owner of the Pennyfoot Hotel, would love to have a quiet Christmas just once with her beloved husband Baxter and no crime. Alas, those dreams are shattered when Gertie, her chief housemaid, finds a man’s body and it is clear that his death was not an accident but murder. The local constable is quick to arrest one of the Pennyfoot’s maids but, despite some evidence pointing to the maid, Cecily isn’t convinced she is guilty and sets out to clear her name but will she find t ...more
Living My Best Book Life
I am a newbie to the Pennyfoot Hotel series, but it was a good thriller that kept you guessing who the murderer was until the very end. I loved that it was such a detailed historical mystery that incorporated the Christmas theme.

I love that the heroine of the story is so fierce and tenacious. Cecily Sinclair Baxter is the owner of the Pennyfoot Hotel and is hoping to have a Christmas to remember. She gets more than she bargained for when one of her housemaids finds a man's body in the laundry r
Nancy
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Edwardian Christmas Celebrated with Murder

The Pennyfoot Hotel is again open for business and beautifully decorated for the Christmas season. Cecily Baxter hopes it will be a Christmas to remember and even more hopes the curse is off the hotel. Unfortunately, the last hope is dashed when one of the maids finds the body of a man in the laundry room with a woman’s scarf wrapped around his neck.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, a note in his pocket suggests that he was meeting with one o
Christy
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth Pennyfoot Hotel Christmas book I've read, and I loved it just as much as I have the others. Like other cozy mystery series, you can jump in anywhere by reading the books in any order.; you just won't quite know the characters as well. However, not knowing the characters as well isn't a hindrance, and you can still enjoy the mystery.

I love books that are set during the Christmas holidays. The author describes the decor and Christmas activities well. I enjoy reading books set d
marita lazarus
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Easy read

As cozy mysteries go this was an easy read. For me it was one of those palate cleansers between heavier reads. This was my first book and honestly did very little for me. I read over the course of a few days. Premise of the story - body discovered in the hotel
Laundry room and wrong person arrested. Cecily goes on to solve that murder and the subsequent murder by herself with your motley crew of a bumbling constable that is inept and a husband who has no substance. Would love to se
Linda
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, british, christmas
Christmas is close and the Pennyfoot Hotel is in its glory with all the decorations. Unfortunately a body is found in the basement laundry room. The deceased has made some enemies somewhere and Cecily Baxter is determined to clear her maid of wrong doing. Then the man's wife ends up dead too. Cecily has her suspicions but must be very careful before she becomes the third body.

In the meantime, Charlie the stablehand is finding himself attracted to the Pennyfoot's auto mechanic but he
Candice
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf
This wasn’t a bad book, but it wasn’t for me. I am not a huge Edwardian history fan which is the era in which the book is set so it took me a while to finish. Because I wasn’t really able to connect with the characters or story, I’d read a little and end up putting it down.

The author does do a beautiful job describing the settings and events around the holiday which make it a nice read for someone who does enjoy a bit of a historical holiday book.

It’s a nice light mystery
Kalendra Dee
This is a cute series, but I wish it had a little more depth. I actually like the storylines that concern the servants better then the ones that concern Cecily and Baxter, both of whom I find a little annoying. In this book, a housemaid finds the body of a man in the laundry room of the Pennyfoot Hotel with a woman’s scarf wrapped around his neck. A young maid is arrested but Cecily doubts her guilt and vows to find the murderer. It’s a quick Christmas mystery set in Edwardian England.
Donna Huber
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
While set at Christmas this was more meaty of a story than the fun, silly novels that you usually associate with a Christmas book. I haven't read any of the other books in this series, but I enjoyed this novel. And I didn't feel like I was missing anything by not reading the series before. The mystery gets all wrapped up but there are other threads in this story that are left loose. Full review soon.
Anna Fox
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the historical setting and that Cecily and her husband work together instead of him trying to stop her investigations. The mystery kept me guessing and I just love being at Pennyfoot Halls for the holidays. I wouldn't mind celebrating Christmas there (as long as I don't end up murdered!)

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for my eARC in exchange for an honest review.
Linnea
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-in-series
The story did not start picking up until about half way. I look forward to see where they characters cancevelop.,
Christy
Maureen
Oct 22, 2019
Lisa Kline
Oct 11, 2019

• Mrs. Jeffries and the Alms of the Angel (Mrs. Jeffries #38)
  • Murder in the First Edition (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #3)
  • Owl Be Home for Christmas: A Meg Langslow Mystery
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • Fatal Cajun Festival: A Cajun Country Mystery
  • Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle Mystery #6)
  • Misadventures in Blue
  • The Empty Nesters
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
  • Thirty-Life Crisis: Navigating My Thirties, One Drunk Baby Shower at a Time
  • Harlow (A Hathaway Sister Mystery, #2)
  • Conversations With the Fat Girl
  • The Grace Year
  • Beautifully Broken Spirit (Sutter Lake, #3)
  • Call Her Mine (Harmony Pointe, #1)
  • Sweet Home Alaska (Northern Lights #5)
  • Murder in High Places (Bunburry #6)
Kate Kingsbury grew up in London, England, and at a very early age began telling stories to her school friends during the London Blitz of WW II while huddling in bomb shelters. Kate moved to the U.S. in the early sixties, and had passed her 50th birthday when she published her first book. Writing as Doreen Roberts, (her real name at the time) she published 26 romance novels for Harlequin/Silhouett ...more

Pennyfoot Hotel (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
  • Do not Disturb (Pennyfoot Hotel #2)
  • Service for Two (Pennyfoot Hotel #3)
  • Eat, Drink, and Be Buried (Pennyfoot Hotel #4)
  • Check-Out Time (Pennyfoot Hotel #5)
  • Grounds for Murder (Pennyfoot Hotel #6)
  • Pay the Piper (Pennyfoot Hotel #7)
  • Chivalry is Dead (Pennyfoot Hotel #8)
  • Ring for Tomb Service (Pennyfoot Hotel #9)
  • Death with Reservations (Pennyfoot Hotel #10)