Start by marking “Finding Faith: A Self-Discovery Guide for Your Spiritual Quest” as Want to Read:
Finding Faith: A Self-Discovery Guide for Your Spiritual Quest

Finding Faith: A Self-Discovery Guide for Your Spiritual Quest

Finding Faith aims to help spiritual seekers progress through their spiritual search by confronting questions -- in non-Christian language -- about God, the nature of faith, truth, and religious life.
Published June 27th 2000 by Zondervan (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Faith

Start your review of Finding Faith: A Self-Discovery Guide for Your Spiritual Quest
Josh Hanke
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a relief! An honest assessment of Christianity from a practicing pastor. Here are a few sections that really caught my attention:

"Now you should know that I have great faith in the Bible, and have found it to have an importance and value for me above all other books, and I in fact used to be among those who thought the Bible solved the whole epistemological problem simply and cleanly, as many of my friends now feel. But I can't follow that logic anymore." (p. 56)

(The following paragraph is
Rick Mattson
Feb 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Despite the beating McLaren takes in the conservative evangelical press, I find him thoughtful, refreshing, and an excellent writer.

This book guides seekers and veteran Christians through tough waters in a pastoral way that respects the reader. BC never talks down to his audience.

Parts are reformulated traditional arguments for faith; other parts are more novel. I enjoyed both.
Marcus Goncalves
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author did an excellent job writing about what faith is and approaches it in a very inviting way. A recommended read for anyone with questions regarding the legitimacy of pursuing faith.
Adam Lauver
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Well-intentioned, with some helpful thoughts, but ultimately underwhelming. While McLaren does try to empathize with those who doubt (and actively leaves room for them to do so), he doesn't really dig that deeply into some key questions about the existence/nature of God, casually dismissing real philosophical concerns about the matter and instead opting for a surface-only, digestible treatment. Honest seekers of truthful spirituality should find a fair amount to value, and people who are ...more
Barry
Mar 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It wasn't completely satisfying to me but I felt the author was very reasonable and honest in his approach to individual spiritual journeys.

The author is a Christian, and explains from the outset that he as a bias. That bias comes through in the text but at the same time I appreciated the amount of respect to those who question or doubt.

It's a thoughtful book that gives helpful suggestions while not beating the reader over the head with the author's personal convictions. I
Jack Blashchishen
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was amazing and really helped me to open up my understanding of faith and how it works in my life. It's great both for people curious about why they should ever believe in the Christian God, as well as for Christians who are struggling with their faith and just confused about the mess that is Christianity.
Kristin
I happened to pick up this book in a bookstore and was hooked after reading a few pages. It’s the best summary I’ve read so far of many issues surrounding faith, written in a clear, understandable way.
Matt
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
A good how-to manual for anyone on a "spiritual" quest. And by "spiritual," I mean Christian. There are no other options.
Mark
Mar 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-library
This is one of my favorite books to recommend to true "seekers"... it does an excellent job of helping frame spiritual questions without shoving Christianity down someone's throat.
Joanna
Feb 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Eh
Courtney
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
It was just too academic for me but i tried as a good friend loaned it to me. I'm not very religious but it made me think about a few things.
David
Mar 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming
  • Permanent Record
  • Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, and Repeat: The BRRRR Rental Property Investment Strategy Made Simple
Brian D. McLaren is an internationally known speaker and the author of over ten highly acclaimed books on contemporary Christianity, including A New Kind of Christian, A Generous Orthodoxy, and The Secret Message of Jesus.