Jump to ratings and reviews
Karen Brewer lives next door to Mrs. Porter, who wears long black robes and has wild gray hair. Mrs. Porter has a black cat named Midnight and always seems to be working in her garden. Karen isn't supposed to spy on her neighbor, but she's determined to prove that Mrs. Porter is a witch named Morbidda Destiny!

Mrs. Porter is getting ready to have a special meeting at her house, and Karen is sure the meeting is for witches. Are they going to cast a spell on Karen? Or will she be brave enough to send them away -- once and for all?

144 pages, Paperback

82 books72 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1,111 (7%)
1 star
1,058 (7%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 342 reviews
Profile Image for destiny ♡ howling libraries.
1,610 reviews4,999 followers
May 4, 2020
I loved both the Babysitters Club books and the Little Sister books as a kid, and I definitely remember Karen's Witch being a favorite of mine. I didn't remember how the story went until I started reading this adaptation, and it all immediately came back! This was such an adorable adaptation. I tried checking out the Raina Telgemeiger BSC adaptations a while back and didn't care much for them, but this was honestly precious and I will happily check out more of the Little Sisters graphic novels. The art was so cute, the color palette was gorgeous, and it perfectly conveyed the story in a short and sweet way without leaving any unnecessary details or boring bits in. Karen is such a cute, funny kid and I loved the "twist" about Mrs. Porter — er, sorry, Morbidda Destiny.

Thank you so much to the Amazon Vine reviewer program for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Profile Image for Scott.
676 reviews81 followers
January 28, 2020
Karen continues to be the worst, this time in graphic form. All in one book, she is a snoop and a liar and an oathbreaker and a thief. Her parents were all "We can't get too mad at you because you thought you were doing something brave", but Karen willfully made things up to get her friend to go along with her, so no, Karen didn't think she was doing something brave.

This is how wars get started, Karen. You literally accused a woman of having WMDs in her yard (weapons of magical destruction -- just go with it) and tried to wipe her off the map. And you learned nothing from it.
Profile Image for Rod Brown.
4,952 reviews164 followers
January 20, 2020
This spin-off from the Baby-Sitters Club features Kristy Thomas' six-year-old step-sister, Karen, an annoying little brat who doesn't seem to have learned a thing by the end of this simple, but well-done adventure. I'm not sure I could put up with her for a second book though . . .
Profile Image for Prabhjot Kaur (Away).
1,030 reviews134 followers
December 30, 2020
Karen is six years old and she is Kristy's step-sister. She thinks that her father's neighbor Mrs. Porter is a witch and she calls her Morbidda Destiny. She is out to find proof that Mrs. Porter is really a witch and help the neighborhood. She also gets her friend Hannie to come along with her.

When Karen witnesses Mrs. Porter fly off on the broom with her cat, Midnight late one night, she tells Kristy the whole thing but Kristy tells her that may be this was a dream as Karen went to bed a while ago but Karen believes and knows that it wasn't a dream and she starts spying on Mrs. Porter even more. She finds out that Mrs. Porter is having a witches meeting and Karen has an idea to expose Mrs. Porter finally. She and Hannie go to Mrs. Porter's house and announce that they know their secret. Karen's grandma is also attending the meeting and tells them that this is a gardener's meeting and no one there is a witch. Karen gets in trouble with her dad and she ends up apologizing to Mrs. Porter but still believes that she is a witch.

This is a spin-off of the baby-sitters club books and I really enjoyed those but this wasn't that good and it definitely lacked the plot and pace. Also the illustrations weren't that good. Karen's dad and Kristy's mum seemed to be younger in these illustrations than the baby-sitters club books. I will continue with the series just to see what happens but this was more on the disappointing side.

2-2.5 stars

Profile Image for Melki.
5,579 reviews2,308 followers
August 10, 2020
An appropriately named little girl refuses to mind her own business, and accuses a neighbor of witchcraft. Granted, the woman looks a bit like a Scooby Doo villain . . .
description
But, next thing you know it's 1692 all over again!

I'm on the witch's side in this one. Hope she turns Karen into a gerbil.
574 reviews30 followers
January 15, 2020
I remember being so mad at the chapter book version of this when I was a kid, because the witch wasn’t real. I was promised witches! Instead I got a lesson about not letting your imagination run away with you, which I was Not Here For.

As an adult, I had a different reaction - the plot still doesn’t grab me AND Karen’s kind of a brat :p
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
12 reviews
December 18, 2022
A tremendous work. Mixing magical realism with an unreliable narrator creates a truly suspenseful work. Karen as a protagonist is curious and determined, but deeply flawed. I'm left with a great impression of uncertainty towards the ending. Was Morbidia a witch? Or just a fragment of Karen's overractive imagination. The answer isn't clear, and the line will continue to be blurred throughout the series.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Erica.
815 reviews10 followers
January 27, 2020
Enjoyable but I prefer the Baby-sitters club books about the older girls. This on felt like they were trying to appeal to a younger audience and it didn’t do well without the context of the other books.
Profile Image for Liz.
469 reviews2 followers
January 28, 2020
I really liked this series as a kid, but as an adult looking back, Karen spends the entire graphic novel getting up to mischief only to basically learn to try and lie and hide a little better next time so she doesn't get caught, fab lesson.
Profile Image for Natalya.
562 reviews10 followers
February 9, 2020
I read this purely for nostalgia. I read so many Baby-Sitters Little Sister books as a kid so when I saw this at the library, I just had to pick it up.

It was fun and reminded me why I loved the series as a kid. Karen acts like a six year old and gets into silly trouble. It was also fun to read this in a graphic novel format.

A fun, short, nostalgic read.
Profile Image for Esther.
259 reviews59 followers
February 27, 2020
Karen is Kristy's little sister, and she's convinced that Mrs. Porter, the lady next door, is actually a witch! Karen has been spying, even though she isn't supposed to, and after careful thinking, she believes Mrs. Poter is throwing a witch meeting. Karen and her friend decide to stop the witches before they cast a spell on the whole town. Or, on Karen herself. But, will they be brave enough to banish the witches and warlocks so they never come back?

This was cute. I finished it in an hour or so, and I enjoyed immensely. My favorite character was definitely Karen. She reminded me of myself. The way she did crazy things without thinking them through, and how she kept breaking the same rule, no spying on the neighbors, over and over again. If I could describe Karen in a nutshell, she would be a rash misbehaver with a big heart and a born leader.
Profile Image for Katie R..
57 reviews
September 30, 2020
It was a witchy book 😋😂🧙‍♀️#i liked it 🧙‍♀️
33 reviews
June 9, 2022
It’s a good book. Love the part we’re Karen gets caught by Kristy spiting on her neighbor with Karen thinks is a witch. They have a rule that is do not spy on neighbors or anyone else.
Profile Image for Renata.
2,449 reviews329 followers
July 19, 2021
The art is adorbs, Karen is an icon, I'm glad these are getting GN adaptations. Weirdly I feel like the target age of these GNs is basically the same as the "older sister" OG BSC GNs?? Maybe slightly younger but like......idk not by much???

Profile Image for Katie Fitzgerald.
Author 4 books192 followers
January 30, 2020
This is a pretty faithful adaptation of the original series, which I started reading as a first grader in 1988. I'm not completely convinced that young readers can fully get the details of Karen's two-family life from the introductory panels included in this book, but her dramatic personality and penchant for letting her imagination run away with her do come through loud and clear. I also like the way the illustrator depicts Mrs. Porter (aka Morbidda Destiny). Her appearance is such that a young child might believe she is a witch, but can also probably be convinced that she is just a normal older lady with an interest in gardening. Surprisingly, I think reformatting this book as a graphic novel actually broadens the appeal a little bit. Whereas the original Little Sister books were definite beginning chapter books, the style here could really engage readers from ages 4 to 10, especially among kids who like family stories and may themselves have very big imaginations. I'm a little bit curious about the apparent decision to edit out Hannie's Greek heritage, as that was always an interesting part of this series for me, but that is a minor point that no contemporary child is going to notice given that the original series is only available in Kindle format and is nowhere near as popular as it was 30 years ago.
Profile Image for Christine Salek.
98 reviews15 followers
August 23, 2021
As someone who went through a big Baby-Sitters Little Sister phase about 20 years ago, yes to this.
Profile Image for Kris - My Novelesque Life.
4,626 reviews189 followers
November 5, 2020
RATING: 4 STARS

I remember reading the Baby-Sitters Club series, when the Baby-Sitters Little Sister series came out. I did read more than several of them, and definitely while I was too old for them lol. I enjoyed Martin's writing, but also knowing more about Kristy and her family. This spin-off looks at Karen Brewer, Kristy's younger stepsister (her stepfather's oldest of two children), with her younger brother, Andrew and her adventures. The graphic novel/comic is pretty much the same as the Baby-Sitters graphic novel, and what you remember from the chapter book series. It was a fun quick stroll down memory lane, and I will probably read the rest as they come up.
Profile Image for Terra  Wood.
138 reviews2 followers
February 14, 2022
This was a great book for my 5 year old and I to read together. Karen goes to her dad’s house where one of the rules is no spying on the neighbors. When Karen decides to spy on her neighbor anyway, she begins to think she’s a witch. She enlists her friend, Hannie, to help her confront her neighbor and ends up getting into quite a bit of trouble. My highly-sensitive 5 year old was upset that 1. karen didn’t obey the rules and 2. She got into trouble. Among other things, this provided us a good opportunity to normalize making mistakes and help process some of the big emotions that come with being highly sensitive (as a HSP, I know first hand).
Profile Image for Alex .
1,347 reviews24 followers
April 20, 2020
This was super cute! The Babysitter's Club and the Babysitter's Little Sister series were my favorite series growing up. In fact, I don't think I read anything but them for years. Since I can't find the originals anywhere, I thought I'd give the graphic novel reboot a try. I really liked it, surprisingly! The art style was cute and sweet. I don't think they're as good as the original but I'm glad the BSC and BSLS series are still kicking.
Profile Image for bk.
25 reviews1 follower
June 30, 2020
I love the Baby Sitters Club series so this book was a favorite for me! I though it was very unique and interesting because it shows the point of view of the other characters that weren't focused on a lot in the other books! Such a funny book! Would recommend to any fans of the Baby Sitters Club series!
Profile Image for Jesse.
2,464 reviews2 followers
February 3, 2021
Lily loved this book! Now we’re on a graphic novel kick. 💥 I remember reading a bunch of these as a kid, but I like the graphic format better. Karen’s spying leads her to believe that her neighbor is actually a witch! (This may have led to a few nightmares on Lily’s part. 😬) The confrontation is awkward; I wish there’d been a more positive outcome, but sometimes life be that way!
July 9, 2020
Karen believes her next door neighbor is a witch and concocts a plan with her friend Hannie to save the neighborhood. This was a cute, simple story. Not the strongest, but still easy to read and enjoyable.
Profile Image for Kate.
2,024 reviews78 followers
August 5, 2020
I have to admit to being a little disappointed by this one. Karen is annoying and gets her bestie in trouble a lot, while not really having to deal with any punishments herself... maybe her name says it all? Still, I am 100% with Karen on how sometimes it feels like Fall, and I was probably as annoying as Karen as a kid.
Profile Image for Jennifer Brown.
2,194 reviews40 followers
November 12, 2020
4.5 Stars

A nice flashback to my childhood. I loved reading this series and had a monthly subscription where they sent me new books every month. I forgot that she was 6-going-on-7 and had a ton of adventures. The illustrations were a little off at times but I enjoyed reading this. I wonder if they'll do the entire series in graphic novels!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 342 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.