Jump to ratings and reviews

368 pages, Paperback

First published December 26, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sarah Rees Brennan

65 books5,041 followers
Sarah Rees Brennan is Irish and currently lives in Dublin. She's been writing YA books for more than ten years, which is terrifying to contemplate! She hopes you (yes you!) find at least one of them to be the kind of book you remember.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
91 (5%)
1 star
20 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 221 reviews
Profile Image for Jessica.
1,071 reviews218 followers
December 21, 2019
Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can also be found here at Booked J.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Series:
Season of the Witch : ★★★★★
Daughter of Chaos: ★★★★★
Path of Night: TBD

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

No other author could write Sabrina Spellman like this. End statement. I've said this before, during my review of Season of the Witch and I will gladly shout it for the people in back. Honestly, Sarah Rees Brennan knows the characters of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina in the most vivid of ways and creates compelling companion novels that coordinate beautifully with the television series.

Dark and intriguing, this novel reflects the very best of the show. Ignited by brand new storylines and an engrossing familiarity, Sarah Rees Brennan adds an extra layer to the stories we've only just begun to know. Much like within the pages of Season of the Witch, Daughter of Chaos builds onto these stories and characters in a way that is believable, snarky and fun. The bleak atmosphere of the series is as present as ever, with an added bonus of life.

To avoid spoilers, here's what I'll say: Daughter of Chaos takes place between the time of the winter solstice episode and part/season two. Glimmers of the series thus far can be found in various ways of foreshadowing, and as a whole the novel makes me all the more excited to dive into part three come January. Readers can expect tugs of emotion, hope and fear from this installment and it is honestly can't miss material.

While companion novels that correlate with television series can be tedious and merely rehashing episodes we've already seen, Daughter of Chaos is not in that category. Sarah Rees Brennan builds onto established plotlines and relationships, tying into the series and standing on its own entirely. It is an added layer that is similar to forgotten or lost episodes--developing context just a bit more.

There is a little something for everyone in Daughter of Chaos. From unspeakable calls of horror, to lingering romance, to warm and cozy friendships and family bonds, to general coming of age angst, this novel is the perfect tie-in to the series.

Sabrina Spellman is in her prime, still gaining her footing inside her witchy exploits. The perfectly complex heroine. Her near opposite, Prudence Blackwood/Night is as dangerous, witty, snarky, sharp and, somehow, warm as ever. Nick Scratch is as charming as you remember, with an added bonus and one half of an unexpected bromance. (Seriously--if you are like me, rooting for the trio: Harvey, Sabrina and Nick, this book will give you life.) Harvey Kinkle, too, is at his best: flawed, soft but strong, timid but growing.

Overall, Daughter of Chaos was every bit as twisted and dreamy as I'd hoped. I loved the ever evolving stories and the way in which Sarah Rees Brennan breathes life into these characters. While it was chilling and a little spooky, I felt like the novel was its strongest when it focused on the layers of friendship and love--my biggest highlights were the scenes that Harvey and Nick shared, the hints of their peculiar almost-friendship tied into their love of Sabrina and the way that we see Harvey and Susie's friendship's real depth.

In short? This novel was nothing short of amazing and fast paced. My heart is soaring and I'm so excited to see where the show, and the third book, takes us next. If you think I'm making grabby hands at my computer screen, you are absolutely correct.

[EDIT] RTC!

[EDIT] We have a cover AND IT IS BEAUTIFUL AND I MUST HAVE IT. I am making grabby hands at my screen which is TOTALLY NORMAL. I'm normal!

Do I need this book? 100%. Sarah Rees Brennan and Sabrina Spellman DEFINITELY own me.
Profile Image for ˗ˏˋ janet ˊˎ˗.
162 reviews40 followers
January 3, 2020
Since I enjoyed the first book, i decided to continue the series with the second and I wasn’t at all disappointed. We see more of our witch friends than the mortal, although they do pop in from time to time some more than others, but i actually liked that. There’s so much in here that i loved like Harvey and Nick’s bromance, Nick and Prudence’s friendship and the moments where you see how Nick is already so deep in for Sabrina. I really liked that Prudence realized she already has her own family she can have to herself and went back to her sisters.

All in all, such a good book with a lot of cute, funny and badass moments with our favorite witches. Definitely worth the read!
Profile Image for Loslibrosdejuliet.
462 reviews1,400 followers
January 2, 2021
3,5⭐️

Tengo que decir que este me ha gustado más que el anterior, han sucedido cosas que no suceden en la serie y me ha gustado descubrirlas.

En este caso nos encontrados con Sabrina a pocos días de celebrar el año nuevo. Dejará atrás su vida para entrar en la Academia de las Artes Oscuras, lo único que necesita es un poco de buena suerte. Pero cuando ésta usa la magia para salvar a su amiga Roz de un accidente, Sabrina atrae a la mala suerte y eso tendrá unas consecuencias desastrosas.

Me ha gustado porque vemos la parte de Harvey, Nick, Prudence y Roz, aparte de la de Sabrina.

Sigo pensando que hay que ver la serie antes de leer el libro ya que si no te pierdes con los personajes. El libro tiene bastante acción y hace que se lea bastante rápido.
Profile Image for Christy.
1,505 reviews258 followers
April 8, 2020
We have a GIVEAWAY for Daughter of Chaos + a Riverdale prize pack happening until April 17th!

Enter here.

What I love most about these tie-in novels is the way Sarah writes them. While there is a central storyline, there are interspersed chapters from various characters (the Tommy chapter in Season of the Witch will forever remain one of my favorite things).

While Season of the Witch is a prequel, Chaos takes place between seasons 1 and 2, where Sabrina is navigating a new school and headed deeper into the dark. Rather than a retelling, these books fill in gaps and enhance storylines and characters. This is Sabrina’s world but Chaos is just as much Nick and Harvey’s story. I dare you to read this book and leave not shipping those two together (with Sabrina, of course. Because she can have both).

Chilling Adventures is a character-driven show and the books are no different. You spend time in their heads, feeling their feels, fearing what they fear (rejection! self! monsters!?). In Season, we spent a lot of time with the other mortals so it only makes sense we would spend time with the witches in Chaos. I have to say, reading this book made me view certain characters in a different light.

And what would this story be without a fair amount of chill, camp, and comradery? I can’t wait for Path of Night, book 3, to come out May 5th. I loved the most recent season and am looking forward to diving deeper into the world between the last two seasons!
Profile Image for Ivonne.
Author 1 book95 followers
April 17, 2020
3,5-4 Sterne

Nachdem mir bereits der erste Teil Hexenzeit wirklich sehr gut gefallen hat (meine Rezension hierzu findet ihr HIER) stand fest, dass ich auch den zweiten Teil lesen würde. Während Hexenzeit vor Beginn der Serie spielt, bewegen wir uns vom zeitlichen Rahmen her in diesem zweiten Band irgendwo zwischen Staffel 1 und 2. Ich muss daher dazu sagen, dass ich mir unsicher bin, ob dieses Buch tatsächlich auch für Leser, die die Serie eben nicht kennen, von großem Wert ist. Es macht wahnsinnig viel Spaß, doch fraglich ist, ob man als “Unwissende*r” tatsächlich in der Lage ist, sich wirklich in der Handlung zurecht zu finden. Der erste Teil ist zwar eine gute Basis, um sich ein wenig in der Storyline zu orientieren, doch ist dieser zweite Teil doch schon so weit in der Handlung fortgeschritten, dass ich mir vorstellen könnte, dass sich für Leser, die die Serie nicht kennen, hier sehr viele Fragen auftun. Für mich handelt es sich bei diesen Büchern um eine wunderbare Ergänzung des Sabrina-Universums (Serie und Comics) und nicht unbedingt wie etwas, das für sich alleine stehen kann, denn im Grunde setzt dieser zweite Teil voraus, dass man zumindest die erste Staffel der Serie gesehen hat.

Für Fans der Serie allerdings handelt es sich – wie bereits oben erwähnt – um eine ganz wunderbare Ergänzung zur Serie, insbesondere um die lange Wartezeit bis zu den neuen Folgen zu verkürzen.

Ebenso wie auch der erste Teil, konnte mich auch dieser zweite Band wieder sehr begeistern. Besonders gut gefallen hat mir die Tatsache, dass der Fokus hier nicht nur ausschließlich auf Sabrina liegt, sondern auch auf all den anderen Figuren, die wir bereits aus der Serie kennen. Das Buch vertieft deren Geschichten und ermöglicht dem Leser noch einmal einen besseren Einblick in deren Persönlichkeiten, vor allen Dingen aber auch in deren Gefühlsweit. Man hatte so die Möglichkeit, eine noch viel intensivere Bindung zu den Figuren aufzubauen. Auch das Zusammenspiel zwischen den Figuren hat mir hier ganz wunderbar gefallen. Besonders hervorgestochen ist hier meiner Meinung nach die Beziehung zwischen Harvey und Nick, die so herrlich skurril und naiv ist, dass ich mich auf ihre gemeinsamen Szenen immer am meisten gefreut habe. Dazu muss ich allerdings sagen, dass ich Nick in der Serie lange nicht als so naiv und unwissend in Bezug auf die Welt der Sterblichen empfunden habe, wie in diesem Buch. Doch gerade das war es, was dem Buch noch mal eine extra Portion Humor verliehen hat. Harvey habe ich durch seine Kapitel noch mal um einiges mehr schätzen gelernt. Zwar mochte ich ihn auch bereits in der Serie, durch den intensiveren Einblick in seine Gedanken- und Gefühlswelt jedoch habe ich ihn dank dieses Buches wirklich wahnsinnig ins Herz geschlossen. Insgesamt empfand ich die Charaktere als viel weniger nervig dargestellt, als es teilweise in der Serie der Fall ist, wenngleich auch ein wenig naiver und unbeholfener.

Ganz besonders gefallen hat mir hier auch die Darstellung von Pruedence. Nachdem sie nach außen hin immer sehr unnahbar und gefühlskalt erscheint, hat dieser kleine aber feine Einblick in ihr Gedankengut sehr dabei geholfen, sie ein wenig besser zu verstehen und ihre Entscheidungen, sowie Handlungen nachzuvollziehen – zumindest teilweise.

Das Einzige, was mir im Gegensatz zum ersten Teil gefehlt hat sind die düsteren Kapitel, die schwarzen Seiten, die den ersten Band ein wenig aufgelockert haben und Einblick in die dunklen Gedanken der verschiedenen Charaktere ermöglicht haben. Erklären kann ich mir das Fehlen dieser Kapitel nur dadurch, das die gesamte Geschichte nun insgesamt aus den Perspektiven fast sämtlicher Charaktere erzählt wird, was in Teil 1 eben nicht der Fall war. Dennoch haben mir diese doch eher düster angehauchten Kapitel sehr gefehlt.

LOHNT SICH DAS BUCH?

Zwar konnte mich dieser zweite Teil nicht ganz so überzeugen, wie der erste, da er meiner Meinung nach ein paar Stellen hat, die sich etwas ziehen, aber dennoch hatte ich unglaublich großen Spaß, das Buch zu lesen. Und als Ergänzung zur Serie zur Überbrückung der Wartezeit sind diese Bücher einfach perfekt.
Profile Image for Rachel.
14 reviews
December 30, 2019
No one but Sarah Rees Brennan could have written the novelisation of CAOS and made it into a work of YA art, but here we are, people.

For the uninitiated, Sarah Rees Brennan is the marvelous author of the Demon's Lexicon Trilogy, the Unspoken novels and the second to none In Other Lands (** seriously, I'm about to exalt Rees Brennan for this work of infernal delight, but if you haven't read In Other Lands, you're not really living). Everything she writes is witty, hilarious, smart and heartfelt - her characterisations of both young, romantic love, and the strong bonds of family and friendship are truly a strength - and Daughter of Chaos does not disappoint (and, imo, is a step up from Season of the Witch).

Okay, so let's get down to it - what could make a tv spinoff novel worth your time?

Aside from being a Sarah Rees Brennan novel (with all the usual hijinx and hilarity), this book does the whole spinoff thing well; Rees Brennan is simultaneously responsible in not overstepping boundaries and turning the thing into a fanfiction, whilst also not tiptoeing around the fact that this IS a novel. What this means is that Rees Brennan gives us the rich internal worlds of characters, explores their motivations, examines their relationships with each other. Just as we got a great glimpse into the world of Ambrose Spellman in Season of the Witch, Daughter of Chaos gives us fantastic insights into the sultry and seductive (or, uncertain and eager to be loved??) Nick Scratch, Prudence Night and Harvey Kinkle (with a dash of Roz and Theo (then still referred to as Susie)). And of course, Sabrina is front and center as well.

Rees Brennan makes characters I usually don't feel connected to - Harvey and Prudence - not just available, but relatable and even likable. And if, like me, you've always been left wanting more of a certain Nick Scratch... well, you got him. Fans of Demon's Lexicon will be reminded how well Rees Brennan spins us a complex badboy.

Highlights include:

- Harvey and Nick bonding
- Mortal Courting 101
- Witch pick up lines
- Naked astral projection - a classic move
- Witchy adventures
- Prudence. Just generally.

If you're a fan of Sarah Rees Brennan (like me) - read this book.

If you're a fan of CAOS and clutching your bosom in anticipation of season 3 (... also like me) - read this book.

If you've dreamt of Harvey and Nick having sleepovers and talking about their feelings... maybe marry this book.
Profile Image for Amanda.
382 reviews99 followers
March 29, 2020
Dear Netflix, Please hire Sarah Rees Brennan as a writer on this show. She would bring much-needed comic relief, as well as delivering all of The Feels.
Profile Image for Eeva.
790 reviews40 followers
October 23, 2020
About two things I was absolutely certain. First, Nick Scratch was a warlok. Second, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.
May 13, 2020
So it's no real secret that I'm obsessed with Riverdale and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Are they great shows? Probably not. But they are sort of like a train wreck in that once they've got your attention, it's hard not to watch. And that element of fun with a side of what-the-heck-will-happen-next is also why I continue to read the books based on the TV shows.

In this installment, it's several days before New Year's Eve and once again Sabrina is in trouble. She has somehow summoned a bad-luck demon and it's wrecking havoc on her life and has dire consequences for both the mortals, witches and warlocks in Greendale. Sabrina doesn't want to clue her Aunties into what has happened so she enlists some help from her new friends and may just end up relying on some old ones along the way.

What I find interested about these books is that they take place in between the television seasons. This makes the story fresh and also serves to fill in some of the gaps. And what this book made me realize is that Sabrina is kind of annoying, but man I like a lot of the other characters. When the Aunties are present, they are always quite entertaining and Cousin Ambrose is such a great side character full of personality. I like Sabrina's friends and in this installment, I loved seeing what makes warlock Nick Scratch tick. But alas, a favorite has emerged in the form of Prudence.

Prudence is wickedly bad but somewhere in that dark soul is a likable villain. And deep down, I honestly believe her snarky wit and evilness is a mask for a lot of pain in her life. She is the silver lining in a dark Greendale and I can't wait to learn even more about her in the future. She is the morally grey (if someone who worships Satan can be considered morally grey) character I need. In addition, she has some of the best lines in the book. Here is a conversation she has with Sabrina. See how awesome she is?

"Did you hear what they called us?" I asked uneasily.

Prudence didn't turn a hair. "I hear what that word all the time."

"You sure it's that word you hear, and not, uh, a slightly different one?"

Prudence shrugged. "I hear that one too. I like hearing both. They're just words, and I'm a witch. I decide what they mean."

So once again I think Sarah Rees Brennan, a quite popular YA author, has knocked it out of the park in bringing further depth to the characters so many people already enjoy. Maybe that's why I already ordered the next installment, which was just released this week!
Profile Image for Sarah.
Author 65 books5,041 followers
April 15, 2020
Pay no attention to the rating, naturally I'd say so! Book 3 is coming, so now I figure I can talk about this one without undue influencing of others. I like to record my thoughts on them. This was the book where I fell in love: writing Season of the Witch was awesome fun to write and hell knows I adore Ambrose, but it was my very first tie-in and I was scared I'd get something wrong. With this one, I felt I knew what I was doing more, and was able to stretch my wings a little (the CAOS show writers were really fabulous about it!) and relax back into a weird, beautiful world. When all types of love are forbidden but people still feel it, how do you get it and what do you know about it? When you've been trained to see another kind of person as lesser, and to be tormented, but they're still people, what do you do about that? I LOVE these kinds of questions and I hope it was as fun for some to read the adventures of Sabrina, Harvey, Prudence, Roz and Nick in these pages as it was for me to write. The joy of a book is getting inside people's heads to see their motivations and yearnings, and how they really tick. Sabrina gets into trouble for love of a friend (classic Sabrina), has to decide who she wants to be (maybe what kind of Ms Wardwell-style makeover to have) and who can love the person she's becoming. Prudence longs for parents she's never had and sisters she's always had. Harvey's grieving, Nick's searching, Roz is choosing. All of them make terrible mistakes, but they're good kids in terrible circumstances (my favourite thing, really) and so I hope that readers forgive them even when they can't forgive themselves, and see promise for their future. When they get to where they're going through the satanic shenanigans, and find the people they love. I also hope people laugh at Harvey teaching Nick how to date and all the witches and all the mortals being SCANDALIZED by how the other half lives, because it's rude to laugh at one's jokes all by oneself.
Profile Image for Nicole.
512 reviews46 followers
April 30, 2020
Tochter des Chaos // Daughter of Chaos!!! german and english review (not spoilerfree, I need to vent)
mir wurde das Buch von Random House für eine Testleserunde zur Verfügung gestellt

Inhalt: Eine bisher unveröffentlichte Geschichte aus Sabrinas Leben, die zwischen den Staffeln 1 und 2 der erfolgreichen Netflix-Serie spielt.Sabrina Spellman hat die härteste Entscheidung ihres Lebens gefällt: Sie lässt ihre Freunde an der Baxter High zurück. Jetzt muss sie sich unter den jungen Hexen und Hexern an der Akademie der Unsichtbaren Künste zurechtfinden. Ihre Macht wächst täglich, aber der Preis dafür ist hoch ... Kann Sabrina ihren neuen Klassenkameraden trauen? Vor allem dem charmanten Nick Scratch und seinen Gefühlen ihr gegenüber?

Meine Bewertung: Erst zum Ende hin hat mich das Buch wirklich gepackt!!!

Ich hatte mir ein bisschen mehr versprochen, das muss ich ganz ehrlich zu geben. Das Buch ist um einiges länger als der erste Band, deswegen hatte ich irgendwie mehr erwartet aber mich hat das Buch erst wirklich zum Ende hin überzeugen können und das war einfach zu spät.

Während ich in der Serie Harvey und auch Nick wirklich mag, haben sie mich in dem Buch nur gestört und viel zu viele Kapitel mit ihrem Hin und Her verschwendet, was ich nicht wirklich gebraucht hätte. Ich hatte das Gefühl, dass Sabrina in dem Band mehr oder weniger in den Hintergrund gerückt ist. Was nicht mal so schlimm gewesen wäre, wenn ich dafür interessantere Geschichten von anderen gehört hätte. An Stelle von Nick und Harvey, hätte ich mir einfach mehr Roz oder Susie gewünscht.

Am interessantesten waren für mich einfach viel mehr Sabrina's Kapitel und die von Prudence. Hier sind wirklich interessante Dinge passiert, die unterhaltsam zu lesen waren und wirklich Spaß gemacht haben.

Alles im Allem habe ich immer noch das Problem, dass die Charaktere in den Büchern für mich nicht so klingen wie die Charaktere in der Serie. Da die Beiden nun mal zusammenhören, bringt es mich einfach immer wieder raus.

Im Allgemeinen, die Bücher sind gut als Ergänzung, es stellt mich aber trotzdem nicht wirklich zufrieden.

***

Summary: Half-witch, half-mortal sixteen-year-old Sabrina Spellman has made her choice: She's embraced her dark side and her witchy roots. Now her power is growing daily... but will it come at too high a price?
Sabrina Spellman has just made the hardest decision of her life: She's leaving behind her beloved friends at Baxter High. Now it's time to follow the path of night and find her way among the witches and warlocks at the Academy of Unseen Arts.Sabrina has always been good at the school thing, but now she has a whole new world to navigate. Her power is growing daily, but it comes with a high price. She must always remember her new allegiances and the cost they have on her friends... and on herself.And then there's her new classmates. Prudence, Dorcas, and Agatha are friends, kind of, but can Sabrina trust them? And what about Nick Scratch? He's as charming as ever, but will his feelings for Sabrina last?Based on the hit Netflix show, this original YA novel tells an all-new, original story about Sabrina.

My review: I only really enjoyed this towards the end!!!

I expected more of this to be completely honest. This book was quite a bit longer than the first one, so I just expected more to be happening but this book took until the end to really grab my attention and that was just way too late.

While I actually like Harvey and also Nick in the tv show, they just annoyed me in this book and there were just so many chapters wasted on their back and forth and I just didn't need that. I felt like Sabrina was put in the background in this book. Which isn't that bad IF I would've gotten some actually interesting storylines instead. Instead of all the Nick and Harvey nonsense, I would have loved more Roz and Susie.

What held my interest the most were the Sabrina chapters and the ones from Prudence point of view. Here I felt like I actually got something interesting, that was entertaining and just fun to read about.

All in all, I still have the problem that the book characters don't sound like the tv show characters to me. And that just takes me out of the story all the time, cause these two are supposed to be intertwined.

Overall, the books are a nice add on but I'm not really satisfied.

Profile Image for Andrea.
339 reviews1 follower
November 29, 2020
En realidad un 3,5.

Sabrina ha aceptado que es una bruja por lo que ha tomado la decisión de dejar de estudiar en el instituto Baxter ya que ahora acudirá a la Academia de las Artes Ocultas. Además ha prometido a su tía Zelda que dejará de meterse en problemas. Pero cuando salva a su amiga Roz de morir atropellada atrae la atención de un demonio de la mala suerte que pondrá en peligro incluso la seguridad de los brujos en el pueblo. Sabrina entonces recurrirá a dos de sus nuevos compañeros de la Academia para intentar resolver el lío en el que se ha metido.

La verdad que siempre me ha gustado la historia de esta joven bruja y este libro no ha sido una excepción. La historia está bastante bien. En este segundo libro seguimos las aventuras que vive la joven bruja adolescente cuando salva a su amiga Roz de morir atropellada por una furgoneta llena de espejos que se rompen delante de Sabrina lo que es claramente un augurio de mala suerte. A partir de este momento a Sabrina le empiezan a suceder pequeños accidentes por lo que la joven empieza a sospechar que sin querer ha atraído a un demonio de la mala suerte. Dispuesta a solucionar el problema por su cuenta pide ayuda a Prudence y Nick, dos de sus nuevos compañeros en la Academia. Además de esto en el libro veremos cómo Nick Scratch intenta aprender sobre el mundo de los mortales ya que quiere conquistar a Sabrina. La verdad que me gustó mucho la pluma de la autora ya que creo que ha sabido reflejar muy bien el ambiente oscuro que creo que es característico de la serie. Me encantó la trama principal y aprender un poco sobre los distintos demonios que están implicados en la trama. También me gustó conocer un poco más a fondo la Academia de las Artes Oscuras y conocer un poco más sobre los comportamientos tan peculiares y diferentes que tienen los brujos. Los personajes creo que están muy bien y me gustó conocerlos un poco más a través de este libro. Sabrina me encanta pero mis personajes favoritos son Harvey y Nick ya que hacen una pareja muy peculiar. ¿Quién diría que un "cazador de brujas" se puede llevar tan bien con un brujo y que encima le enseñe sobre el mundo mortal para conquistar a su exnovia? La trama romántica está bien, es verdad que no soy muy fan de los triángulos amorosos pero en esta ocasión no me ha molestado como la autora lo ha llevado. Otra cosa que me gustaría destacar es la edición del libro ya que me parece muy bonita y que va totalmente en sintonía con la historia de brujas que se nos cuenta. Como único punto negativo decir que me hubiese gustado que en el libro las tías de Sabrina tuviesen más importancia porque apenas salen en la historia. En definitiva un libro que os gustará si soy fans de la serie o de las historias de brujas.
Profile Image for Brooklyn Tayla.
953 reviews66 followers
April 20, 2020
Utter perfection. RTC :) Thank you Scholastic UK for sending me a copy to review and to Sarah Rees Brennan herself for personalising and signing it ❤️
Profile Image for Courtney McGhee.
242 reviews6 followers
October 9, 2020
Okay okay, let me explain the three stars before you get upset. I absolutely loved the writing and the story lines were wonderful! The reason for the star deduction is because it doesn’t flow from the first story. You have to watch the show for anything in the second book to make sense. You can’t just read the books. You miss way too much. Another thing is that I really loved the chapters being black in the first book for the other characters. This book didn’t continue that, and I was disappointed but glad they still included chapters from other characters point of view. Oh and I also adored the bromance between Nick & Harvey. Very sad it didn’t last. Okay well, now onto the third book!
Profile Image for Paige.
1,696 reviews74 followers
February 4, 2020
Disclaimer: I received this book from the publishing company. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: Daughter of Chaos

Author: Sarah Rees Brennan

Book Series: The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Book 2

Rating: 5/5

Diversity: trans male, openly LGBT couplings mentioned

Publication Date: December 26, 2019

Genre: YA Fantasy

Recommended Age: 16+ (some violence and gore, some mature content like sex and sex activities mentioned)

Publisher: Scholastic Inc.

Pages: 368

Amazon Link

Synopsis: Half-witch, half-mortal sixteen-year-old Sabrina Spellman has made her choice: She's embraced her dark side and her witchy roots. Now her power is growing daily... but will it come at too high a price?

Review: I love the show Sabrina with a passion… maybe an obsession? I have so much love for the current show, respect for the comics, and admiration for the previous 90s show. The prequel book perfectly embodies all three and this one maintained that embodiment! I love that these books are apart of the in-between times, the times that are glossed over and the development not seen as deep as the show can provide to an audience within 40 minutes. The character development in this book, especially with Harvey and Roz’s relationship which kinda popped up suddenly in the show, is so great! Nick Scratch and Prudence also got developed and trust me, I’m not the biggest Pru fan but I’m totally feeling for her now that I’ve read this book. The book was also well written and had fun nods to the current season playing on Netflix.

The only thing I will say about the book is that it’s a little slow paced in the beginning as we go back to the early days post breakup with Sabrina and Harvey, but it quickly picks up and mayhem ensues sure enough! Also, if you’re a fan of the show it does take a bit getting used to Theo being called Suzie in the books but it also heavily develops him as well before the transition!

Verdict: A must read for the Sabrina lover in all of us.
Profile Image for Pauline.
Author 7 books1,049 followers
February 5, 2020
Lecture sympa qui vide la tête et fait sourire. C’est mignon, il y a assez de péripéties pour qu’on ne s’ennuie pas, et c’est très woke. Quitte à lire de la littérature légère, autant qu’elle soit unproblematic. Je lirai la suite avec plaisir.
Profile Image for Teleseparatist.
976 reviews116 followers
February 24, 2020
I received a copy for review - thank you to the publisher/author for the chance to read this!

I've been a long-time Sarah Rees Brennan fan, and while TV tie-ins are not quite my thing, and Sabrina is a show I watch but don't feel that fannish about, this is well worth reading even for a casual watcher, and a must-read for a fan - much more so than the prequel first novel. Brennan fills in some gaps and while she's sometimes bound by the series (as evident in the necessity to have the plot of this story match what we know even if that requires some narrative handwaving of consequences), her perspective on the characters and insight into their hearts and minds makes this utterly readable.

It's charming, and poignant, and the interactions between Harvey and Prudence alone are a pleasure to read. And then there's Nick and Harvey, and Ambrose, and Prudence herself, being fierce, and sympathetic, and glorious. I liked her before reading this, and this made me love her more. Brennan imbues the characters with rich inner lives and complex emotions; she's funny, but angst is where her writing shines, and once again, the Kinkles (who I care so little about when I watch the show) made my heart break as I read about Harvey's hunger for affection.

In addition, while the first novel had a somewhat forgettable plot, this time the emotional journey of the characters it tied into the central mystery, and the stakes are higher.

I will look out for the conclusion, and can't wait for more of the series, too.
Profile Image for Megan.
292 reviews5 followers
January 17, 2020
Sarah Rees Brennan should WRITE ALL THE BOOKS! This was hilarious! I often find novels associated with tv shows to be enjoyable but nothing special. But I laughed out-loud so many times reading this, the same way I did reading In Other Lands.
13 reviews1 follower
May 21, 2020
I really enjoyed the tv series and the first book but was very disappointed in this second book. The story line was jumbled and confusing and i find it very hard to believe that witches are completely clueless of the mortal world that they’ve survived and coexisted in for forever.
Profile Image for Alexandra.
21 reviews1 follower
January 17, 2021
I don’t really know about this book. It took me a little bit to get into but once I got into it, I loved it. I can’t wait to read the next one.
Profile Image for Rebecca.
35 reviews
October 21, 2020
This is basically an OOC fanfiction, a poorly written one, in my opinion.
Profile Image for Lobo.
589 reviews61 followers
March 13, 2020
Polish translations butchered both Sabrina's book. They are technically okay but the whole niceness of Brennan's style is gone. And of course I'm a big fan of Brennan because of 'I Other Lands'.

Brennan created complicated, nuanced and appealing relationships between characters. Lets face it - this book was made for Harvey/Nick shipping. And it works! Nick and Harvey have here more chemistry with each other than with Sabrina. Also Prudence and my broken heart <3 <3 <3 Prudence is fan-favorite after all.

And this is best of two Sabrina's novels because there is very little of Sabrina :D I'm actually one of few people who likes Sabrina because she is such a brat and never faces consequences. Brennan tries to mute a little Sabrina's bratness through the plot (which is less ridicules than the Netflix's ones) so she is more likable. Sabrina's inner life makes her more understandable. So I liked Sabrina better in "Season of a Witch" than the show's Sabrina.

This is fan fiction. Very good, character-driven dynamic-type of fan fiction. And I could not be happier. It's fan fiction culture in its finest.
Profile Image for Elisya Nazman.
275 reviews
April 9, 2020
Daughter of Chaos is really good. It's even better than the first one.
It's even better than the Netflix series!
I loved Harvey and Nick's bromance relationship in this. Nick's witchy attitude around Harvey made me laugh several time. I wished we get to see more of them in the Netflix series.
It's very refreshing to read different POVs. You could explore more stuffs about the characters and understand them more. This book wasn't revolved around Sabrina only, but around the other mortals and witches as well.
Loved Prudence is "getting along" with Sabrina.
Can't wait to see what Sarah Rees Brennan will bring in the third one, Path of Night.
Profile Image for abi.
264 reviews27 followers
May 19, 2020
sorry to sabrina (and harvey) but they're just not nick scratch's number one fan in the same way that i am
Profile Image for Tatiana.
387 reviews2 followers
April 29, 2020
Liked it better than the series for some reason.
Profile Image for Morgan Bernard.
95 reviews2 followers
May 17, 2020
A tumultuous coming-of-age tale of friendship, hurtful gossip, lost love, and Satan worshipers. You wouldn't think a book about a Satanic cult of witches could be heartwarming, but this book manages it.

The writing style is fast-paced and humorous with a quickly escalating plot. I really appreciated the witchy jokes and the banter between Sabrina's ex-boyfriend and her new love interest--I loved how the two guys manage to remain on friendly terms and help one another despite being rivals. This relationship created a great juxtaposition to the misogynistic brotherhood of warlocks shunned by Sabrina and her family clan.

Although there are plenty of sweet moments of love and friendship, there is bloody violence, verbal abuse, hatred for those who are different, and examples of mob mentality. Despite these trigger warnings, this book manages to have a diverse cast of teen characters dealing with sexuality, sexual identity, physical illness, and growing up in ways that are realistic and heartfelt (even though they happen to be dealing with a prince of hell at the same time). Love, friendship, and self-confidence can overcome the darkness :)

Overall I give Daughter of Chaos 4 out of 5 stars! Although I've never watched the Netflix show, the tidbits mentioned in this novel definitely made me add it to my To-Be-Watched list. If you can get past the violence and misogyny and devil worship, this is a great story about the pains and joys of growing up.

For more reviews like this one, visit mlbernard.wordpress.com
Profile Image for Tasha Meehan.
282 reviews16 followers
January 1, 2021
“Dawn remade the world every day, but today the dawn had remade a whole new year.”

It took me a few tries to get stuck in to Daughter of Chaos but that was solely because of a reading slump and nothing at all to do with the book.

I didn’t think I was going to enjoy the Harvey chapters, he is a charming kind of character but he’s never been my absolute favourite. I actually really enjoyed the deeper insight into his character, and his life. His decision towards the end made my heart hurt.

I love Prudence. I loved the chapters on her so so much - they too made my heart hurt. I don’t understand how I can feel so fiercely protective of a character in a book!

Honestly, the only characters I don’t like from this are the typical unlikeable characters like Harvey’s dad, Ambrose's boyfriend, and Father Blackwood.

I really love being in Greendale and I cannot wait to read more.

That dream scene towards the end had my nerves rattled. I have watched the show but the way Sara has blended what we know with what we don’t keeps the read so exciting.

Again, the audio was fantastic. I love the readers.

“Stories teach us to live better.”
Displaying 1 - 30 of 221 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.