Start by marking “Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #1)” as Want to Read:
Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #1)

Karen's Witch

(Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphic Novels #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  507 ratings  ·  55 reviews
A fresh and fun graphic novel series spin-off of The Baby-sitters Club, featuring Kristy's little stepsister!
Karen Brewer lives next door to Mrs. Porter, who wears long robes and has wild gray hair. Mrs. Porter has a black cat named Midnight and always seems to be working in her garden. Karen isn't supposed to spy on her neighbor, but she's determined to prove that Mrs.
Published December 26th 2019 by Graphix

Win a Copy of This Book

• Karen's Witch by Katy Farina
    Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #1)
    Release date: Dec 26, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win a finished hardcover copy of the New York Times bestseller KAREN'S WITCH, a Baby-sitters Little Sister graphic novel by Katy ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 1281 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 05 - Feb 01, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Karen's Witch, please sign up.
    Kiwi IDK I was wondering how do you read on Goodreads too…moreIDK I was wondering how do you read on Goodreads too🤔(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #1)
    Amanda
    Having read the Babysitters Club Little Sister books growing up, I just had to check out the graphic novel. This book was super cute and kids will love its fresh look.
    Chelsey
    Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2020
    Gretchen
    Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Vivid and fun illustrations bring this graphic novel to life! A re-telling of Ann M. Martin's Baby-Sitters Little Sister series, Farina does a great job making this classic story approachable for a new generation of graphic novel lovers. As a girl who grew up in the 90's, I enjoyed this book!
    Ashley
    Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I loved everything about this. The art captured Karen perfectly - it was very Steven Universe-esque, which works for Karen and her world. The story was perfectly adapted into graphic novel format, and I liked the simplicity and sweetness of the art. The colours were vibrant, the text nice and clear.

The Little Sister books were how I originally got into Stoneybrook and the Baby-sitters Club, so I was really excited when I found out that this series was getting graphic novels, because I have
    Angie  Moore
    Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I grew up on The BabySitter’s Club, but never read the Little Sisters series, so when I had the opportunity to read this as an ARC I jumped at the chance! Graphic novels are a challenge for me to read, but they are my kiddo’s favorites, at home and at school. I love Karen! She has a great runaway imagination and acts just like a 6 or 7 year old does... I’m thinking of my niece! I think that even the youngest of my readers will love this. If they are not yet reading on their own, this is a great ...more
    Christine
    When I was in Kindergarten, my dad read me Karen's Witch at bedtime. The first night we read the book, I told my mom that it was a little scary but I liked it. Thus began my lifelong love of the Baby-Sitters Club and the Baby-Sitters Little Sister books. I enjoy reading the Baby-Sitters Club graphic novels and was excited to hear that the Baby-Sitters Little Sister books were also being adapted into graphic novels. This book did not disappoint — 3.5 stars.

I loved the art in this book. It was a
    Ms. Yingling
    Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
    E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

When Karen and her brother go to spend the weekend with her father and his new family (that includes The Baby-sitters Kristy), Karen becomes obsessed with the idea that the older neighbor lady (who wears long dresses and shawls and spends a lot of time in her garden) is actually a witch. She refers to the woman as Morbida Destiny, and is determined to save the neighborhood from her evil influence. Along with Hanni, she spies on the neighbor, makes up spells to
    Lorraine
    Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I am a big fan of the Babysitters Club graphic novel series, so I was so excited to read this book. This was a cute story with great artwork! It is definitely written for a younger audience, so I'm not quite sure fans of The Babysitters Club books will flock to this series. That being said, I enjoyed reading about Kristi's little step-sister, Karen and her over active imagination.

Karen's parents are divorced and she stays with her father in the "big house" every other weekend. There are a set
    Tracy (A Good Novel)
    I think this is my favorite of the BSC graphic novels I've read so far, because the art is adorable (a little more cartoony than the regular BSC ones, as befitting a younger audience) and very expressive, but I think it definitely needs to be recommended with the caution that a parent should read it too. (view spoiler) ...more
    zapkode
    {My thoughts} – It is absolutely important for you to have read the other Baby Sitter Club Graphic Novels and or books to understand the characters in this book. Karen is Kristy’s younger Step-sister and she has one entertaining imagination. She has it in her head that their next door neighbor Mrs. Porter is a witch. She believes this so much so that she has scared herself and isn’t able to sleep well at night. She also obsesses over the concept and continually spies on Mrs. Porter.

One night she
    Mary
    Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: graphic-novel
    Babysitters' Club graphic novels are flying off the shelves. This one from the Little Sister series will likely be a hit as well.
    Karen, the little sister, is staying with her dad and his new family for the weekend. She has been forbidden to spy on the neighbors, but she disobeys. The next door neighbor looks like a witch to Karen--Mrs. Porter even has a black cat named Midnight. Determined to save the neighborhood from the witch, Karen continues spying and eventually interrupts a garden club
    Shelley
    Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
    Karen can't stop spying on her neighbor, Mrs. Porter, even though it's against the rules, because she's convinced the older woman is a witch and it's up to Karen to save the neighborhood. The art is great, and matches the BSC books well. Andrew is adorable with his Yups. I love the Thomas-Brewer-Engle families and how they work together. I used to read the Little Sister books, and Karen never quite bugged me as much as she did here. (I suspect she would if I reread.) She is seriously annoying, ...more
    B
    Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: graphic-novels
    More books in the very popular Baby-Sitters Club graphic novel series. These read younger, so the 4-5th graders may not like the book. I thought the artwork was good, right on track for the series, even though there is a different artist. I thought the story was immature and silly. Karen needed to have more punishment for judging someone by their appearance and bothering them. I am sure it will be popular.
    Ella
    Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Karen Brewer has a very wild girl with a very wild imagination. But when she and her imagination run wild thinking that her next door neighbor, Mrs. Porter, is actually a witch named Morbidda Destiny, she might get in big trouble for spying and doing something very naughty. Karen even drags her friend Hannie, into all of this! Will Karen ever learn that you can't judge a book by its cover, or will she grow up thinking that she knows a witch that lived next door to her fathers house?
    Sharon
    Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
    2nd&up
    In this first entry for younger readers of The Babysitter's Club graphics, Karen (Kristy's young step-sister) is convinced that the older woman next door is an honest to goodness witch.
    With a cute & mischievous main character, this is a zippy, fun read for young fans of Raina Telgemeier's BSC series.

This ARC was obtained thanks to Graphix/Scholastic, in exchange for an honest review
    Jennifer Green
    Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Cute graphic novel of the Babysitters Club stories. And it's nice how the illustrations reflect the other graphic novel series.

The story is cohesive and doesn't leave gaps that assume you've read the book.

My only issue was how the parents handled the "no spying." They just tell her to stop but little kids have big imaginations and there would have been a better way to deal with that whole situation.
    Krysta
    Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
    A simple story based around Karen's conviction her next door neighbor is a witch. Karen is supposed to be six, but acts and speaks older. I'm not sure who the target audience is for the book. Presumably this spinoff series happened because of the popularity of the Babysitters Club graphic novels, but it feels a little young for that audience.
    Ginny
    Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Interesting and intriguing

I enjoyed the parts when you got intrigued. I’m in 5th grade so it’s a little bit to childish for me so that’s why it’s 4 stars not 5. I would recommend this book to weak readers. 3rd grade and under. I chose this rating because it’s just not the right book for me. Besides that it was very interesting and funny.
    Brenda Kahn
    I happened to spy this in the Scholastic booth during my wanderings at ALAAC. The Babysitters Club GNs are wildly popular at my school and I was so happy to have stumbled upon this new spin-off. It reads a tad young for my crew of middle schoolers, but my fans will think it adorable. Note to self to give my elementary school colleague a heads up too.
    Shacoria
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I had to give this book 4 stars. It was absolutely adorable and hilarious. I really liked the main character. She is much more entertaining than any of the main characters from the babysitter's club books that this book is a spin-off of. I also really loved the illustrations and the story was pretty good as well. I look forward to the next book in this series.
    Linda
    Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: graphic-novels
    This is a fresh update/adaptation this former spinoff series from Babysitters Club. I found myself chuckling at parts of the story. I wouldn't mind seeing more from this graphic novel series. Karen happens to be a character that I remember reading a long time ago, and believing to be quite bratty, but in reading this adaption, it opened my eyes to the curiosity of this character.
    Dawn
    Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
    Cute enough, but not as good as the regular BSC graphic novels. Karen’s books were clearly for a younger reader, but this seemed very similar in style, language, and length to BSC. Only difference is a much more childish storyline. It does capture how annoying Karen is though...
    Madison
    Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: graphic-novels
    Karen thinks that her neighbor is a witch, so she just walks into her house while there's a meeting and she calls her neighbor and all of the people at the meeting witches. I thought it was funny. I liked the pictures.
    Tory
    Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
    I guess I should've guessed that the "little sister" books were going to be even more juvenile-oriented, but dang, this reads young. Like, second grade young. It's fine but don't give this to middle-graders because they're going to roll their eyes right out of their heads.
    Abby Johnson
    Super cute treatment of the first Baby-Sitters Little Sister book, newly coming out in graphic novel format. Probably most appealing to young readers who are also fans of the Baby Sitters graphic novels.
    Rod Brown
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
    This spin-off from the Baby-Sitters Club features Kristy Thomas' six-year-old step-sister, Karen, an annoying little brat who doesn't seem to have learned a thing by the end of this simple, but well-done adventure. I'm not sure I could put up with her for a second book though . . .
    Christy Broderick
    What a cute book! I remember reading the original book years ago and this was just a cute retelling in GN format ...more
    Rylee
    Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: e
    it was fantastic
    Joey Duhamel
    Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
    If you like mysteries and witches, this is your spirit book (:
    Heather
    Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
    Karen is just as precocious as ever. Love the art.

• Boy-Crazy Stacey
    • Sunny Rolls the Dice
    • Diana, Princess Of The Amazons
    • Go with the Flow
    • Stargazing
    • Making Friends
    • Guts
    • Camp
    • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
    • Making Friends: Back to the Drawing Board (Making Friends #2)
    • Kristy's Big Day
    • Roll with It
    • In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery, #1)
    • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1)
    • The Miracle and Tragedy of the Dionne Quintuplets
    • Crush (Berrybrook Middle School, #3)
    • The Crossover
    • The Okay Witch

Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphic Novels (2 books)
    • Karen's Roller Skates (Baby-sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #2): A Graphix Book