Start by marking “Cat Call: Reclaiming the Feral Feminine (An Untamed History of the Cat Archetype in Myth and Magic)” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  44 ratings  ·  4 reviews
“No one writes about the subjects of sexuality, desire, the shadow, and diabolism with such relish, and when I read her words I feel both smarter and less afraid of my own ‘tabooed’ feelings and thoughts. Like a cat, Kristen sees in the dark, as she guides us gracefully forward with her vision of unapologetic, feminine power.” —From the Foreword by Pam Grossman, author of ...more
Published September 16th 2019 by Weiser Books (first published September 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Call

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Cat Call: Reclaiming the Feral Feminine (An Untamed History of the Cat Archetype in Myth and Magic)
Kathleen Martens
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A smart, witty, fascinating and accessible exploration of the cat archetype throughout history. I'm not particularly a cat lover, but I loved Cat Call. I learned, I laughed, I was stunned by the encoding of cat and woman throughout world history, literature, the arts and pop culture. Although it's been quite some time since I've personally received a "cat call" from a man on my way to work or play, I did get this Cat Call.
Jamie Z.
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Just the right balance of light-hearted and deep; this one explores a myriad of topics relating to women, cats, feminism and sexuality. A fascinating read.
Dawn
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Aly
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
All the topics were interesting but it almost felt like there were too many packed into one book. I would've liked to read detailed discussions on each of the concepts (some could be their own book entirely), but I guess this functioned well as an introduction to each of those ideas.
Angela

• Waking the Witch: Reflections on Women, Magic, and Power
  • Astro Poets: Your Guides to the Zodiac
  • Initiated: Memoir of a Witch
  • Winter's Tale
  • Dead Blondes and Bad Mothers: Monstrosity, Patriarchy, and the Fear of Female Power
  • Becoming Dangerous: Witchy Femmes, Queer Conjurers and Magical Rebels on Summoning the Power to Resist
  • Tarot for Self-Care: How to Use Tarot to Manifest Your Best Self
  • The Astrology of Love & Sex: A Modern Compatibility Guide (Zodiac Signs Book, Birthday and Relationship Astrology Book)
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • Apocalyptic Witchcraft
  • Weave the Liminal: Living Modern Traditional Witchcraft
  • The Bone Houses
  • Feminasty: The Complicated Woman's Guide to Surviving the Patriarchy Without Drinking Herself to Death
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? Big Questions from Tiny Mortals About Death
  • Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • Spurred (Steele Ranch #1)
  • Wrangled (Steele Ranch #2)
Kristen J. Sollée is a writer, curator, and educator exploring the intersections of art, sex, and occulture. She is the founding editrix of Slutist, a sex positive feminist website, and she lectures at The New School and across the US and Europe. Sollée’s signature college course, "The Legacy of the Witch" follows the witch through history, pop culture, and politics. Her critically-acclaimed book ...more