Start by marking “The Gospel According to Satan: Eight Lies about God that Sound Like the Truth” as Want to Read:
The Gospel According to Satan: Eight Lies about God that Sound Like the Truth

The Gospel According to Satan: Eight Lies about God that Sound Like the Truth

Not every lie sounds untrue.

Some lies are repeated so often they seem to be common sense. That's why lies about God are so dangerous. The Gospel According to Satan examines eight lies the enemy wants us to believe and provides eight lines of counterattack against them. The lies include:

God just wants you to be happy;
you only live once
you need to live your truth; and
just
Published January 14th 2020 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel According to Satan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel According to Satan

Start your review of The Gospel According to Satan: Eight Lies about God that Sound Like the Truth
Matt
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My endorsement:

“Jared Wilson is one of the most thought-provoking writers in the Christian world today, and 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘎𝘰𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘭 𝘈𝘤𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘚𝘢𝘵𝘢𝘯 is Exhibit A. Jared doesn’t just describe the tantalizing falsehoods of our age; he exposes how they’ve slithered into our hearts. As you read this timely book, yes, you will confront lies you didn’t even know you believed. But you will also encounter the gift of truth, which will set you free.”
Becky
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: BEFORE THERE WAS DEATH, THERE WAS THE LIE. It begins as a question, a splinter of inquiry slipping smoothly under the skin of the mind. But it’s not a question, really. It is a proposition wearing a mask. The question is a strange, new idea, a smuggled roster of “alternative facts” holding out the prospect of curiosities sated, mysteries solved, even of enlightenments achieved.

Wilson continues, "Before there was death, there was the lie. But before the lie, there was the Liar."

In
Jonathan Roberts
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2020
This was a solid book! Just like all of Wilson’s books he hits this one out of the park, even if he still uses end notes instead of footnotes!!

Highly recommended
Jonathan
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wilson has provided another volume that brings us to Christ and opens life to real freedom. I think this book acts like a booster shot for word-centered, gospel life. Satan loves to twist truth into bondage and the finished work of Christ is what breaks us free and gives us feet to stand. Because it is written!

Wilson covers 8 lies we are all familiar with and he does so in a winsome way that will greatly serve the church. There were a couple of chapters that felt long to me but he needed space
Luke Thomas
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this might be one of my favorite books I have read in the immediate context of my American spirituality that interferes and detracts from the gospel of Jesus Christ. I immediately had two high school students start reading it and brought in all kinds of discussion about the gospel and the ways that believing a lie of satan can be distracting and take us away from the gospel. The chapters entitled "let go and let God," "You need to live your truth," and "Your feelings are reality" stand ...more
Jonathan McGuire
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another helpful book by Jared Wilson

Wilson writes as the “Christian Everyman” and has done it well in this book. It’s not that his work is common but that it can be easily understood by everyone. Here, he does this with some of the most core doctrines of the Christian faith in a way to make it all but impossible not to grasp them.

Other writers, especially those considered “scholarly” or “academic” handle these truths in much longer and hard to understand texts.

I wholeheartedly recommend it to:

Brandy Vallance
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A much-needed look at some prevalent philosophies and catchphrases in our society today. This book is definitely worth exploring. Very well written!
Lisa Wellman
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for all Christians

Very helpful look at distortions of Christian faith that modern western Christians tend to fall victim to. Well worth the read!
Francois Smith
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Jared C Wilson’s books, and his latest is no exception. It is such a necessary book/read for our times. I love the way he dissects the 8 lies we believe about God/Serving God. I actually realized during this book how pervasive these lies have become and how ensnared I myself have become. Please go and read it.
Samuel Bierig
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I actually read it last year, but it wasn't available to count on Goodreads till this year so I am counting it now.

This is the blurb I gave it:

"If Satan were to have his own UnholyBible that he was the center of and unbelieving followers lived by, it would no doubt contains book much like the book of Proverbs. This would be a whole book filled with godless and damning un-truisms like: 'God helps those who help themselves,' 'you only live once,' 'Live your truth,' 'Let go and let
Brittany
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A provocative title in the best way. This book is a great study in how we are fooled, just as Adam and Eve, to take to heart the doubt Satan markets with: "Did God really say...?" We must be reminded to be on guard to the ploys of the enemy who comes to "diminish God and exalt man."

"The prospect of the fruit promised the three things—fulfillment, beauty, and enlightenment—that we have been chasing in every tree ever since… We live our lives in exile, but we play ‘garden’ every day. We drink
Blake Western
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Continuing his practical, interesting writing style, the author deals with common sayings or thoughts that many Christians think are Biblical, but in reality, they are the lies of Satan. One such statement is this ... that God helps those who help themselves. Some people even think that is a verse from the Bible. The author dismantles that statement and others in the light of God's Word. The book is a helpful, enlightening guide for faith.
Joel Kersey
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Easy to read and very relatable to our culture and theology today. I found the most important part of the book was the reminder that Satan is constantly trying to take Scripture and twist the truth so we end up believing lies about God and the Gospel.
Chrys Jones
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on common lies people accept as false gospels. It’s not a Screwtape Letters remix, either. I thoroughly enjoyed it and see many of these lies everyday!
Margaret Bronson
New favorite of Jared's. So much to chew on.
MayorEmma
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
earc from netgalley.

interesting book, i liked the way it was written, i have just liked other books on the same subject more.
William
Jan 22, 2020
Dwight Bernier
Kelly
Feb 24, 2020

• On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
  • Delighting in the Trinity: An Introduction to the Christian Faith
  • The Unsaved Christian: Reaching Cultural Christianity with the Gospel
  • Thus Spoke Zarathustra
  • Life on the Mississippi
  • Reading Scripture Canonically: Theological Instincts for Old Testament Interpretation
  • Miracles
  • Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: It's Impossible to Be Spiritually Mature, While Remaining Emotionally Immature
  • The Art of War
  • Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World's Largest Religion
  • The Lady and the Lionheart
  • God, Greed, and the (Prosperity) Gospel: How Truth Overwhelms a Life Built on Lies
  • Competing Spectacles: Treasuring Christ in the Media Age
  • Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • To Hell with the Hustle
  • The Pilgrim's Progress
  • When the English Fall
Jared C. Wilson is the Director of Content Strategy for Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Managing Editor of For The Church (ftc.co), and Director of the Pastoral Training Center at Liberty Baptist Church in Kansas City, Missouri. He is the author of numerous books, including "Gospel Wakefulness," "The Prodigal Church," and, most recently, "The Imperfect Disciple." Wilson blogs regularly at ...more
“As with most things, context is everything. And in a religious context in which sin is rarely if ever mentioned (much less rebuked), the cross of Christ seems more a bug than a feature. The prevailing message is “live your best life now,” “become a better you,” and “think better, live better,” but the answer is no: God’s greatest pleasure isn’t our happiness. The Osteens and a handful of other prosperity gospel preachers have made this message their stock and trade. It is self-actualization masquerading as Christianity, and it resembles the spirituality of the New Age more than the spirituality of the Bible.” 1 likes