Start by marking “The Grumble-Free Year: Twelve Months, Eleven Family Members, and One Impossible Goal” as Want to Read:

USA Today bestselling author Tricia Goyer and her family of eleven embark on a yearlong quest to eliminate grumbling from their home and discover a healthier, more thankful approach to life together.

The Goyer home--with two parents, eight kids, and one eighty-eight-year-old grandmother with dementia--is never without noise, mess, activity, and, often, complaining. And it's
Published November 5th 2019 by Thomas Nelson (first published November 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Grumble-Free Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grumble-Free Year

Start your review of The Grumble-Free Year: Twelve Months, Eleven Family Members, and One Impossible Goal
Deanne Patterson
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
"Everything doesn’t need to be fixed overnight, but set your mind to work on solutions instead of struggles."

I think we can all agree on one thing, it's no fun to be around grumbling people.
We all grumble and make our self miserable and feel guilty for doing so.
Tricia's book takes you through a year of her family's attempts to grumble less and praise him more.
Very encouraging and fulfilling this is just what we all need to start us on the right track to have a more
Liza GArcia
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am currently on the launch team and have had the opportunity to dig into the book before the release. This book has been an amazing wake up call for me. I have been struggling to find solutions to our crazy life with four kids and a dog! I can find myself spiraling down a path of discontentment and complaining without even knowing it. This book has been a wonderful and life changing. An excellent read to look forward to when it comes out!
Kathleen Garber
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I heard about this book it interested me so much I reached out myself to the publishers to see if I could review a copy. I’m so glad I did. This is a social experiment book. I have read other books like this but didn’t know the term until this book. It basically means that the author (and in this case the author’s family) partake in a social experiment and write about how it goes in the book.

Other books of this time I’ve read include The Know it All and The Year of Living Biblically.
Sunnie
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was another great self-help type book by Tricia Goyer. With a hope of creating a home without grumbling, Tricia decided to help her children learn how to live happily together without bickering, fighting and bad relationships.

She incorporated her plans of going a full year without complaining into her homeschooling learnings. She used scripture, using it to correlate with their goals that they had each set. They did activities to see what causes the grumbling in their household.
Leslie M.
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Goyer realized that her family needed to change. This book was a bit of a social experiment to see if the author’s family could go a year without grumbling. Definitely an interesting concept, though I’m not sure it’d be possible for many people to go 100% grumble free. The book definitely gives the reader a lot to consider and ways to put this into practice.

Goyer incorporated her plan into her homeschooling lessons. That plan, along with this book, used relevant Scripture verses to s
Julia
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Grumble-Free Year by Tricia Goyer is a powerful book that has the power to change your life. For a whole year Tricia Goyer and her family practiced being grateful and tried not to grumble. Their results are recorded within the book.
Grumbling can destroy relationships. It achieves nothing. Having an attitude of gratitude in us will build others up. This book explains what the Goyer family did and what they learned along the way.
Tricia Goyer writes in a personable way. The book fee
April
Shelves: autobiographical
The Grumble-Free Year: Twelve Months, Eleven Family Members, and One Impossible Goal by Tricia Goyer is an inspirational, self-help book with quotations from scriptures. Ms. Goyer incorporates scriptures with everyday life and common sense. She uses real life actions to help readers incorporate a grumble free heart and to have a more grateful heart. An educational and inspiring Book. Ms. Goyer's experiences are real life.
It was a blessing to follow her and her family to having a more grum
Melissa Henderson
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this excellent book reminded me of the blessings and joys in life. I am pausing to think of how many times I have "grumbled" recently. What a great reminder to be thankful for each moment and to praise God in our joys and our concerns. This book has questions for reflection at the end of each chapter. This book has blessed me in many ways. I received a complimentary copy of the book. No review was required.
Michelle Nietert
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tricia Goyer and her family have inspired me to start focusing more on gratitude than grumbling. I’ve become aware that I grumble more than I realize and have some practical ideas of how to get my kids back on track when they start grumbling as well.
Lisa Jacobson
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Confession: I was already hooked the moment Tricia mentioned the title to her new book. :) I love that she and her family took this on! Honest, inspiring, and challenging!!
Jessica
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this quick read from Tricia Goyer (about the ups and downs of living grumble free during a crazy year) to be inspirational and motivational. I love how she ties it all in to trust in God, his goodness and timing.
Laura Krooswyk
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. I think mrs. Goyer did a great job on describing how grumbling takes our focus off of God and more on us. She gives lots of practical ideas and Bible verses to encourage the reader and their families if they want to embark on a grumble free life. A definite must read!
Karina Hurd
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got the privilege of being on the book launch for this book and was able to read an advanced copy. I wasn't quiet sure what I was getting myself into when I started reading this book. I am so glad I was able to read it though! I loved that Tricia's children were a huge part of this book. Their personalities and Tricia's writing made this book fun, interesting and thought provoking. I enjoyed the questions at the end of the chapters. This book was awesome! It was on time in my own life and real ...more
Deana Dick
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever been around people who grumble and complain all the time? It is not pleasant and makes you want to scream. What if your family was the one grumbling all the time? In this book the author takes us on a challenge and journey to freedom from grumbling for a year.

As in everything that is different from your routine, this book will motivate you into rethinking how you react to every day life. I would love to have been in the family meeting when the author suggested this eye
Debbie
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Philippians 2:14 "Do everything without grumbling or arguing." This is the verse that the author, Tricia Goyer started her "Grumble Free Year" year which is what the book "The Grumble Free Year" is about. I knew there were verses in the Bible bout grumbling, but I really had no idea there were as many as there are and that grumbling was such a serious things and that God sees it as being against him. To understand this better read Numbers14:26-30, John 6:43, James 5:9, 1Peter 4:9.

I have learned
Martha
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Did you read the title and think, "Yeah, maybe their family, but we could never do it? I need to be able to talk about feelings and not stuff them."
No, just me?

Read this book to discover that this is exactly the book you should be reading then. The Goyer family are not a Hollywood version of a Hallmark film. Instead, you have real, live kids that struggle, a grandma with dementia and other health issues amongst others that decided to cut out grumbling. Instead encouraging talki
Edward Arrington
What would you do if you felt led of the Lord to challenge your family to twelve months of no grumbling? Maybe your first thought is “no sweat.” Maybe your family includes you, your spouse, and one or two kids, so the idea is not that daunting. But consider this: Tricia Goyer and her husband John had ten children. Two adult children were already on their own, while one adult son was still at home, plus seven adopted children from the ages of six to seventeen. In addition, Tricia’s grandmother, w ...more
Rana
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whether a person homeschools, or not, whether a person has a big family, or not, this book is worth the read. Tricia Goyer sets a goal for her family to be Grumble-Free for a year. She shares her experiences of what worked for her family, and what didn't, and all that was learned in the whole process. It doesn't feel like a preachy book though she gives some good spiritual advice for those of us who walk in the Christian faith with Jesus. It feels more like she's coming alongside the reader by s ...more
Amy
Nov 14, 2019 added it
What I wouldn't do to eliminate grumbling in my home. This book gives a great perspective on what can happen if we all commit to doing our best to stop grumbling. This is something that my husband and I want to do in our home and hope to incorporate what Tricia has outlined in this book at the start of the new year.

I received a free digital copy of this book. All thoughts above are my own.
Linda Palmer
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was an honest journey of a family in their pursuit of less grumbling. And a helpful guide for all to achieve less grumbling. Each chapter includes questions and activities to try to be grumble free. I liked the encouraging tone of the book.
Anna
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fun read that’s simultaneously light-hearted and deeply impactful! Tricia teaches some powerful lessons about the power of grumbling... and the even stronger power of leaning onto Jesus for support through all the occasions we would rather grumble. Highly recommended for friends of all ages.

*I received an ARC of this book, but all opinions expressed are my own.
Ann
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Years ago, I fell in love with Tricia Goyer's fiction. To this day, her Liberators series remains my all-time favorite World War II fiction! But, I don't think I can say anymore that they are my favorite of her books. Last year, Calming Angry Kids made a strong impact on my perspective on all relationships, not just the parent-child relationship. I keep several copies on my shelf, ready to hand out to people who are working through relationships with angry people.

Then this year came along, and I be
Melissa Fox
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed “the Grumble- free year”. Tricia Goyer (author) and her family set out for an entire year to not grumble (and any other of the cousins of grumbling; whine, pout, complain, etc.) It is easy to look at what others have and want it. To complain about how it is not fair that such and such family always gets to go on vacation, or how their children are always so well behaved instead of looking at what we do have and being grateful for it.
This book shows that it is a process that nee
Jennifer Lara
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Grumble Free Year: Twelve months, eleven family members and one impossible goal by Tricia Goyer is her family’s journey to attempt to grumble less and praise more. Before they set off on this seemingly impossible journey, Tricia and her husband, John, promise their kids that if they can achieve this goal, the family will go on a cruise. Their ten children agree to give it a try. The book is twenty chapters, separating into three parts: Gearing Up, The Challenge Begins, and Winding Down, Tric ...more
Kelly
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
True confession: I knew I was grinching (as we call it at our house) on occasion. I didn’t like I was doing it---but only after the fact, of course. However, it was my multi-generational family’s grumbling that was really crawling up my spine. This book seemed to float down from heaven at the perfect time. Ironically, when I started reading The Grumble Free Year, my eyes were opened to how much I mutter, the “why” behind my anst, and how much it affects the people under my roof and those I work ...more
Patti Whitson Stephenson She Lives to Read
If you only read one Christian non-fiction book in the coming year, make it this one.

This readable, practical, insightful, and totally honest book has the potential to change your own personal outlook, your family, and the community around you. It’s already had an impact on me.

Big statement about a book? Yes. But it will help you take a very clear look at the grumbling that we all do; how it affects us personally; and the effect it has on everyone around us. The Bible has
Bethany
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How many times per day do you find yourself grumbling? Mumbling complaints under your breath? Grumbling to your family or even in prayer? For me, it is more than I would care to admit. Tricia Goyer has a large family of biological and adopted children, and she found herself and her children grumbled on a daily basis. In an effort to be more grateful and to improve family dynamics, she and her husband decided to challenge themselves and their children to not grumble for a year. At first, the fami ...more
Connie Saunders
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
'Grumbling is something we do by default.'

Author Tricia Goyer and her husband John set a goal to take their family of eleven through a year where no grumbling was allowed. The results of those twelve months can be seen in Goyer's new book The Grumble-Free Year and it is enlightening, to say the least. This book has twenty chapters filled with great advice, inspiring thoughts, and above all, honesty. Goyer reveals their times of triumph but she is also very honest about the times when they faile
Tricia Mcwilliams
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"A Transparent Look At Grumbling In A Family"

I've read this author before so I knew the way she writes resonates with me. But to be honest I was in no hurry to read about grumbling. In this world grumbling is something I hear enough of as well as do enough of at times. As I write this there have been a few recent changes that have given me reason to grumble. As someone who doesn't like grumbling I thought I better get to reading to see if I could pick up any new tips to slow the grum
Amy
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am so excited about this book. I can't wait to incorporate it into our family as the new year approaches. It was amazing how much I was able to relate to the content of the book as Tricia shared her story. It was kind of like, "Wow, I could be writing this book." It is so easy to fall into an attitude of discontentment without even realizing it, or become a grumbling martyr. I found so much in common with her.

I am still reading through my copy, because even though I could read through it quic
« previous 1 3 next »

• The 40-Day Sugar Fast: Where Physical Detox Meets Spiritual Transformation
  • She Prays: A 31-Day Journey to Confident Conversations with God
  • Jesus in Me: Experiencing the Holy Spirit as a Constant Companion
  • Amish Front Porch Stories: 18 Short Tales of Simple Faith and Wisdom
  • Take Back Your Time: Identify Your Priorities, Decrease Stress, and Increase Productivity
  • Solar Dividends: How Solar Energy Can Generate a Basic Income For Everyone on Earth
  • Relentless: The Unshakeable Presence of a God Who Never Leaves
  • The Red Journal
  • Unbound
  • Breaking Anxiety's Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises
  • The Bathsheba Battle: Finding Hope When Life Takes an Unexpected Turn
  • Rise of the Truth Teller: Own Your Story, Tell It Like It Is, and Live with Holy Gumption
  • When God Rescripts Your Life: Seeing Value, Beauty, and Purpose When Life Is Interrupted
  • M.O.M.--Master Organizer of Mayhem: Simple Solutions to Organize Chaos and Bring More Joy Into Your Home
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • A Texan's Promise (Heart of a Hero, #1)
  • Breathe Again: How to Live Well When Life Falls Apart
  • The Princess and the P.I.
Tricia Goyer is a busy mom of ten, grandmother of two, and wife to John. Somewhere around the hustle and bustle of family life, she manages to find the time to write fictional tales delighting and entertaining readers and non-fiction titles offering encouragement and hope. A bestselling author, Tricia has published thirty-three books to date and has written more than 500 articles. She is a two tim ...more