Start by marking “Groomed: Overcoming the Messages That Shaped Our Past and Limit Our Future” as Want to Read:
Groomed: Overcoming the Messages That Shaped Our Past and Limit Our Future

Groomed: Overcoming the Messages That Shaped Our Past and Limit Our Future

Someone in your past sold you a false story about who you are and what you’re worth. It has been holding you back for too long. Take control of your future.

A staggering one out of three women in America was a victim of sexual abuse at some point in her childhood. No matter how many years it’s been, if that’s your story, those scars are probably still with you. But even if
Published January 14th 2020 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Groomed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Groomed

Start your review of Groomed: Overcoming the Messages That Shaped Our Past and Limit Our Future
Nursebookie
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A powerful read and an amazing non fiction read that I learned a lot from. I think that Good’s advice are solid and do lead to a path to healing and changing our future. The stories she told are powerful and quite impactful to creating the change. Amazing book!
Crystal Zavala
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tlcbooktours
Elizabeth Melendez Fisher Good is a co-founder of Selah Freedom, the nation’s leading anti-sex trafficking organization. After extensively working with sex-trafficking victims Fisher Good has determined a pattern of ways that women are groomed as children by parents or influential people. In Groomed, she covers five different ways that you might have been groomed; for appearances, to be invisible, to be judgmental, to endure, or for financial fear.

While sharing the different ways that women have
Cheryl
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I hear the word "groomed" I do associate it to bad people. There are your pimps and abusers. Which in a way these two categories can be mutually the same. In this book author, Elizabeth explores all the ways that people are groomed. This book particularly focuses on the grooming of abusers and sheds attention on human sex trafficking.

This book is broken out into three different sections: We've all been groomed, What are you groomed for, and Leaving the life. Each section consists of multip
Donna Hines
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Strong messages are provided throughout Groomed involving self worth, compassion, empathy, self love, and most importantly forgiveness.
As a survivor of abuse with a family of toxic individuals it's important to separate reality from fiction and by that I mean you know what you've endured so don't trust the naysayers in determining your own worth.
One thing I've learned and have counseled others about is the notion of R&R, forgiveness, and self worth.
We cannot begin to rebuild from any forms of ab
Bec
Feb 28, 2020 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ ~40%
Trigger/Content warnings: rape, sexual abuse, child molestation, gun violence, loss of a loved one

First off - this wasn't the book I was expecting. From the narrative, I was expecting a non-fiction book that discussed the overarching grooming and impact that happens to people living within our society.

Secondly, while I appreciated some of the ideas, I honestly I ended up feeling as though I was listening to a religious white woman generalize how she dealt with her personal issues.

Ple
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Melendez Fisher Good is the cofounder of Selah Freedom, one of the nation’s leading anti-sex trafficking organizations. Good teaches that sharing our secrets and personal stories with others can help people to heal from personal trauma. She also feels that messages that children receive when thy are young groom them to live lives that are not their own. In Groomed, Good shares her personal story to explore the areas where women are often groomed: for appearances, to be invisible, for j ...more
Living My Best Book Life
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, nonfiction
Groomed is an eye-opening story about how our past experiences, interactions, and tragedies have had an effect on who we are. The great thing about this story is that Elizabeth Melendez Fisher gives us examples, questions to ask ourselves to reflect and see how we have been 'Groomed' so that we can take the next steps to heal and letting go of our past.

Elizabeth Melendez Fisher starts the story by opening up and sharing her personal stories of tragedy and sexual abuse. I appreciated her honesty
wellreadtraveler
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing little gem this turned out to be! I had no idea going into this book what it was really about and I was pleasantly surprised. Elizabeth opens up about past traumas that have threatened to mold her life into one of tragedy. With Counsling, a lot of self reflection, and discovering her worth she was able to move on to become a very successful woman.
How were you groomed growing up? Did your parents push you to excel in school? Maybe they wanted you to be the best athlete on the tea
Melissa
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a sexual abuse survivor when I hear the word “groomed” I often think about it in those terms. Abusers groom their victims. But this book give a different bend to that word.
We can still think of the word in those terms but also in other ways. I was definitely groomed to please people, to look good on the outside no matter the turmoil going on inside of me.
We can be groomed for many different things, such as being invisible, pleasing others, looking good, being a leader, assertive.
I appreciate
Erin
I downloaded this audio from Libro.fm as a free ALC. Librarians, learn more at: https://libro.fm/alc-program

I was very interested in this topic and looking forward to listening to the book. It is narrated by the author, and in most cases that is a bad idea. That is true this time, also unfortunately. Though she reads with great enthusiasm, she has a lisp. As a fellow lisper, I am not without sympathy for this problem. I couldn't get too far with the book. It is very jarring. My review reflects t
Sara Strand
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book really hit home for me and I didn't expect it to be such a gut punch. The first chapter asks you about a secret you keep and how that has affected your entire life. The author shares deeply personally secrets of her past and gives you an in-depth look at how that changed the trajectory of her life. This book gave me so much to think about that I'm still processing it long after the last page. Highly recommend this one. ...more
Tara
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very interesting perspective.
Tabitha (Tabi Thoughts)
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Groomed is an enlightening and powerful book that shows you just how condemning words can be to the psyche. While many of us have just one definition of “groomed”, Elizabeth suggests that being groomed is, unfortunately, more universal than we would like to believe.

Due to her personal and professional experiences, Elizabeth has become somewhat of an expert on recognizing manipulation. In Groomed, Elizabeth educates us on the different ways we can be groomed.

Groomed is sooo real. The honesty in
Dara
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I very rarely read self-help books and likely would never have picked this book up if it had not been sent to me. I thought it was about the author’s organization that rescues victims of sex trafficking, and that is discussed in the book, but it is also a discussion of all the various ways people may be groomed into who they are and how they see themselves. This book attempts to universalize the concept of being groomed and it addresses ways you may have been groomed in your past – for appearanc ...more
Lexi
Jan 27, 2020
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 15 Feb 18, 2020 02:43AM

• Born With Teeth
  • The Trouble with Hating You
  • I Have the Right To: A High School Survivor's Story of Sexual Assault, Justice, and Hope
  • Groomed: Shining a Light on the Unheard Narrative of Childhood Sexual Assault
  • Welcome To Mars: Science And The American Century, 1947 1959
  • Stonewall
  • Black Fatigue: How Racism Erodes the Mind, Body, and Spirit
  • Die Standing
  • The Way to the Stars (Star Trek: Discovery #4)
  • Inclusive Conversations: Fostering Equity, Empathy, and Belonging Across Differences
  • Wayward Lives, Beautiful Experiments: Intimate Histories of Riotous Black Girls, Troublesome Women, and Queer Radicals
  • The Autobiography of Kathryn Janeway