Start by marking “A Girl’s Guide to the Outback” as Want to Read:
A Girl’s Guide to the Outback

A Girl’s Guide to the Outback

Romance author Jessica Kate explores the hilariously thin line between love and hate in her heartwarming new novel.

Samuel Payton is a passionate youth pastor in Virginia, but beneath the surface, Sam’s still recovering from a failed business. His coworker—start-up expert Kimberly Foster—is brilliant, fearless, and capable, but her mother’s rejection from a young age till
Published January 28th 2020 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about A Girl’s Guide to the Outback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl’s Guide to the Outback

Start your review of A Girl’s Guide to the Outback
Obsidian
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Please note that I received this book via NetGalley. This did not affect my rating or review.

Well not bad. I just didn't realize when I got this via NetGalley this was a Christian romance. I tend to stay away from that genre because I just don't enjoy it at all. It didn't help that I realized half way through that this was a sequel to another novel with some of the same characters. This was cute though and I just gave it four stars though it didn't wow me that much. A very solid romance that I
Sarah Sundin
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full of humor and snappy banter, A Girl’s Guide to the Outback is loaded with fish-out-of-water Australian fun. And yet Jessica Kate tells a far deeper story. Kimberly and Sam and Jules are each hurting in their own ways, each searching for identity, and each running from what they most need. These three compelling characters pulled me in to the story and had me finishing it in record time – despite a crazy-busy schedule on my end! Thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended!
Gemma
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. I think from the very start it was the characters that drew me in.
I found all the characters so incredibly likeable.

I loved the Aussie accent, phrases and the descriptions of Australian life and the land.

I was rooting for the jules and Mick and was happy with their ending as much as Kim and Sam.

I lovely read.

I voluntarily read and reviewed this book, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Jes Drew
This book was so completely hilarious and absolutely swoon-worthy at the same time, it is one of the tales that genuinely deserves the title of rom-com. Of course, how can it be anything but with the four most stubborn young, single people in any kind of proximity together?

We have the lead couple, practical Kim the business woman come to get back the charismic youth pastor, Samuel- even though they can't stand each other (despite the fact that they are both attracted to the other). Then there is
Bethany Turner
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the great pleasure of reading Jessica Kate's sophomore novel, A Girl’s Guide to the Outback, for endorsement, and let me just say...I loved it! Kate's first novel, Love and Other Mistakes, was a different sort of read for me. I still found myself recommending it because, as a storyteller, Jessica Kate has so many skills that come through on the page, even if the story wasn't exactly for me. But A Girl's Guide to the Outback gave me exactly what I wanted. It is a rom-com with depth, but ...more
Gretchen M.
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second time that I have been privileged to read a Jessica Kate book on #netgalley. While I enjoyed her first book at times, it was a bit too personal. That rarely happened in her second book. The storyline is excellent and complicated. While parts of the story have a happy ending, parts do not. I feel like this is true to real life. Because the author is from Australia, the setting is definitely true to life. I really enjoyed the setting and the characters. Several main themes ...more
Hallie Szott
4.5

What a delight. With characters from her debut Love and Other Mistakes, Jessica Kate’s A Girl’s Guide to the Outback delivers an entertaining rom-com with plenty of heart and depth.

Ministry leader Samuel Payton is passionate, charismatic, and a tad risk-averse. Co-worker Kimberly Foster has great, but expensive plans to expand the ministry, so naturally, she and Sam can’t help butting heads. He figures it is time for him to leave when he gets a call that his family could use his help in
Brittany
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! A Girl’s Guide to the Outback was such a fun romance in a great setting. Sam and Kimberly were secondary characters in the book Love and Other Mistakes, however, this book definitely reads as a stand alone novel and there are no worries if you have not read Love and Other Mistakes.

This book had so much heart and I loved all of the nuances to this unique story. It was interesting to see how both Sam and Kimberly struggled with things that had happened in their pasts and allowed
Georgia
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I’m so happy that we get to find out what happens to Sam, the youth minister who was introduced in Love and Other Mistakes.

This book mostly takes place on a farm in the Australian outback and is a Christian friends to lovers (and by lovers I mean there is smooching) romance with a second chances romance as a secondary plot line. Kimberly is a straight talking business woman who is passionate about ministry but has a hard time communicating. Sam is the founder of a youth ministry who quits out of
Amanda Tero
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Once again, being a romcom (and me a not-so-romantic), I wasn’t 100% sure what I was getting into. But I love comedy, so why not give it a try? And it was funny. Sometimes really awkwardly funny more than just can’t-help-but-laugh funny, but there was humor twined throughout the story.

The Australian setting was really cool, and I feel like Jessica gives a great tour-guide in her book, explaining terminology and such that we Americans aren’t used to.

The storyline overall was very interesting. In
Lucinda
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a total surprise. I don't know what made me request it, but I'm glad I did. So, so good!

Kim and Sam are the main characters but we also see Jules and Mick, who already have a past relationship between them.

When Kim goes to Australia to help Sam's sister, Jules, with her dairy farm's financial situation, she's hoping to convince Sam to return to the US to continue is work as a youth pastor in charge. Kim is new to everything but she doesn't hesitate to help with whatever is needed.
Inspirationalfictionreader
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Girl’s Guide to the Outback is the first novel I’ve read by Jessica Kate. I’m so glad I took a chance on this story! I really enjoyed everything about it!

I love humor in any story I read and this story was full of it! The humor nicely balanced out the serious issues that Kimberly and Sam had to tackle. I really liked both kimberly and Sam and their chemistry was perfect!

I also loved the secondary characters and their romance! The setting of Australia really added to the story and I loved
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You'd find two love stories in this book. Love stories between two different set of people but above all between the individuals and God.

There is a lesson in this book for everyone. This book is filled with sweet humor, breathtaking chemistry, grit, fearlessness, loyalty, trust in God...

First of, we meet the fiery, fearless Kim and the sweet, scared Sam. Their's was a roller coaster of insecurities, unrequited admiration and respect and a lot of self discoveries. I've never seen a book deal
Chautona Havig
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
3 Reasons to Love & Fear the Outback
Not only have I never read anything by Jessica Kate before, but before reading the synopsis of her book, I’d never heard of her. Right about that time, friends started buzzing about her debut novel, Love and Other Mistakes. Reviews were mixed, but none bad. I had to read this one for myself.

Not only was I treated to a well-written, humorous look at the psyches of two psychologically damaged humans. The way Ms. Kate then took her characters through a
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
A GIRL'S GUIDE TO THE OUTBACK is a story of finding self worth not in others, but in the God who loves you, and being willing to let go of fear in order to let God work in your life. The setting is rugged and charming, with characters who struggle with self-doubt and loss, but who find friendship, family, and love. Highly recommended to inspirational romance fans!

This story was a roller-coaster ride of humor, friendship, struggle, disaster, faith, family, and romance that pulled on all my
Madison
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full of Aussie slangs and humour, this delightful book will have you laughing and crying as the characters wade their way through major life decisions and romantic entanglements (and a whole heap of cow muck).

Kimberley does everything she can to keep Wildfire, a youth drop-in Center, surviving. She even has big plans for expansion, if she could just get founder and youth pastor Sam on board. But instead, they constantly butt heads. When Sam up and leaves the program after rejecting her
Kailey
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a very fun read! I really enjoyed it! I don’t usually read rom-come, but this one was great! I loved the Australian setting and Australian slang. The characters were very real and relatable. I definitely look forward to reading more of Jessica Kate’s books!

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Janet
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

How far will a girl go to win back a guy she can’t stand? This funny, sweet, and romantic story proves that opposites do attract—and that God has a sense of humour.

Samuel Payton is a passionate youth pastor in Virginia, but below the surface, he’s still
Clara
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED!
What a fun book! Once again, Jessica Kate has shown to be an unforgettable author entering the rom-com world.
Full of her usual "sass", "A Girl's Guide to the Outback" also brings back the thoughtfulness of this author to write characters with such depth and growth.

Kimberly Foster and Samuel Payton have each given each other some really hard time over the past three years.
But, my favorite part about this book was how the characters started seeing each other through new eyes by doing what
KyLee Woodley
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed this sassy telling of an uptight American's journey to Australia where she finds love. Jessica's voice is so fun and distinct. I absolutely loved reading it!
Jite
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a cute Christian Inspirational romantic comedy about American risk-taking business developer, Kimberly, and risk-averse, Australian youth pastor, Sam, and how these on the surface, polar in personality opposites, are actually pretty similar in their self-doubt and fear and yet have to work together to save Sam’s sister’s farm in Australia.

There’s also a secondary second chance romance plot in this featuring Sam’s sister, Jules, and his best friend, Mick, so you kind of get a two-for-one
Nola
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fun rom-com from Jessica Kate, and follows two of the characters from her earlier novel 'Love and Other Mistakes'.

Samuel Payton, the talented youth worker from Wildfire Ministries, has returned to the family farm in Australia to help his sister Jules who is struggling to keep things running on her own since their father's death. If things don't improve, they could lose the farm. Jules convinces Sam to enlist the help of Kimberley, his American work colleague from Wildfire Ministries.
Becky
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
Last summer, I read Jessica Kate's debut novel, Love and Other Mistakes. While I enjoyed it, I also had mixed feelings about it and didn't think it lived up to the hype. (Some of the fault definitely lies with the publisher, who marketed the book as a romantic comedy when it was definitely much more of a drama.) But I appreciated the author's writing style, so I knew I would give her next book a chance.

I am so, so glad I did!!!

A Girl's Guide to the Outback is everything I wanted Love and Other
Courtney Clark
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Girl’s Guide to the Outback is a humorous “armchair adventure” romance that simultaneously initiates the reader (and heroine Kimberly) in Aussie culture AND shares a story of belonging and purpose. Sam and Kimberly also have All. The. Sparks. and chemistry in their love/hate-romantic relationship. It was just so FUN to see their banter and friendship transforming.

Jessica Kate’s sense of humor shines through in her writing. (If you follow her on any of her social media platforms or podcast, you
Lacey
Thank you to Jessica Kate, Thomas Nelson Books & NetGalley for a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

When I received this novel, I didn't know that it was a sequel. It isn't listed as so, therefore, I had no clue. I read this book really with no problem, but after reading the first book,Love and Other Mistakes, I really understand the characters more than I did before and can give a true review onA Girl's Guide to the Outback.

The first thing I really enjoyed about this novel
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
What a cute book! I loved the setting and I loved getting to know the characters in this book. They had depth and personality. This author is great at creating scenes that I can easily visualize in my mind and I love how it all played out so vividly.

Kimberly is really like an onion with those layers being peeled back slowly, one at a time. I loved her drive, her determination, her willingness to work hard and her desire to be a part of something bigger than just herself. Who cannot relate with
Sherry Deatrick
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly expected this book (from just looking at the cover) to be a light rom-com but boy was I wrong!
This was definitely a story with depth and a good deal of humor too. Both main characters did a great deal of self-examination and learned a lot about themselves and each other in the process. They went through near tragedies, messy working conditions and family upheaval but that is what made the story richer. And there was also another romance as a bonus. I very much enjoyed this book and
Francesca Mei
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-na
Abbi
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Contemporary romance with humor is my absolute favorite and this book had it in spades! From the very first sentence I was grinning like a fool and it didn’t stop the whole time I was reading! Often it actually made me laugh out loud! But it wasn’t all humor, this book has a lot of heart to it as well and I really resonated with some of the lesson the characters had to learn!
At first glance Kimberly and Sam are too opposite to work together (and believe me it’s hilarious) but
Ashley Johnson
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was completely entertaining from start to finish! I love it when humor is prominent in a novel, but doesn’t keep the story from having depth and it was perfectly balanced in this book! The plot was unique and kept me invested until the last page! The characters were likable and genuine and I found it easy to completely lose myself in this story any time I picked it up to read. I loved getting a look at the Australian food, slang, and setting through the pages of this story! Also, the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • The Thief of Lanwyn Manor (Cornwall, #2)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Dating Charade
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue, #1)
  • End Game (Capital Intrigue, #1)
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • Seconds to Live (Homeland Heroes, #1)
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance, #1)
  • Echoes Among the Stones
  • Waltz in the Wilderness (Chaparral Hearts Book 1)
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • Above the Fold
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • The Gray Chamber
  • The Wedding Dress Christmas (The Wedding Collection)
  • Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • Love You Truly