Start by marking “Nerves of Steel: How I Followed My Dreams, Earned My Wings, and Faced My Greatest Challenge” as Want to Read:

Nerves of Steel is the captivating true story of Tammie Jo Shults’s remarkable life—from growing up the daughter of a humble rancher, to breaking through gender barriers as one of the Navy’s first female F/A-18 Hornet pilots, to safely landing the severely crippled Southwest Airlines Flight 1380 and helping save the lives of 148 people.

Tammie Jo Shults has spent her
Published October 8th 2019 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Nerves of Steel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nerves of Steel

Start your review of Nerves of Steel: How I Followed My Dreams, Earned My Wings, and Faced My Greatest Challenge
Jean
This is a fabulous story of a ranch girl from New Mexico. She broke barriers to become one of the Navy’s first women R/A-18 Hornet pilots to being the Captain of Southwest Airline’s flight 1380. Shults worked as a pilot fighting fires before going to work for Southwest Airlines.

The book is extremely well written. Shults tells of her early life, her battles to become a pilot to saving 148 lives on flight 1380. The story tells about a person who is talented, smart, competent and well trained. I
L.A. Starks
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tammie Jo Shults is the Southwest Airlines pilot who safely landed crippled Flight 1380 in Philadelphia, saving the lives of 148 people on board, after one engine came apart mid-air, puncturing the plane.

I recommend this book highly to all action-adventure and thriller readers, as well as to anyone facing day-to-day challenges in a job or career. Shults persisted in becoming a pilot, first in the military and then at Southwest, when too many men thought women did not belong in the pilot's seat.
J C D
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing woman!

I am a coworker of Tammie Jo. I have flown with her as a flight attendant since she was a new first officer at Southwest Airlines. She has always been an exemplary coworker and most of us never even knew of any of her past accomplishments as she does not brag on herself at all. She has always been someone I enjoy flying with. I was lucky enough to fly with Tammie Jo on her first flight back after flight 1380 and she handled herself with extreme poise and professionalism on
Elyse
Oct 16, 2019 added it
I wanted to read it until this line in the synopsis: "there is no doubt God had prepared her and placed her right where she needed to be that day." Ugh. No.
Angie
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you, like me (a) don't believe in God or (b) don't associate LITERALLY EVERYTHING with "God's will" this book is likely to grate on you.

I'm a female aviation geek who RELISHES stories of women in aviation. I downloaded the audiobook expecting to get a detailed insight into the flight in question, but instead it was a lot of "Heavenly Father" talk and aviation terminology that I imagine went over most people's heads... that is, after I skipped ahead about 8 chapters. A weird mix. Take a
Spectre
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This autobiography traces the life of a talented pilot who had to fight many times for her career as a Naval Aviator and commercial airline pilot culminating with her handling of an in-flight emergency. The actions of Captain Tammie Jo Shults, her crew, and assisting passengers during the 20 minutes after the port engine of their B-737-700 suffered catastrophic damage were nothing short of exemplary. Added to the lost engine emergency was the explosive decompression caused by a fan blade ...more
Suzanna Sedenszki
Great Read about How to Persevere and Overcome

I loved this book. As a woman, who also experienced bootcamp like training, and working in a male dominant field, I could certainly relate to Captain Tammie Jo's experience. I truly appreciate the fact that she acknowledges God's help, grace, and blessings on her life in the book. Uplifting, and encouraging. Highly recommend it!
Karen Anderson
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aviation
Disappointed and a bit surprised about the BS she received from the SWA pilots.
It is a bit heavy on the religion but that's Capt Shults' life.
Not quite linear in the story telling

Stay away from LGA.
Val Milborn
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

I loved this book. The step by step development of her talents and focus while allowing God to guide her showed me that while we may not understand the whys and where’s, God does and He prepares us like He has promised He would.
Christopher Lawson
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"There's a reason Southwest gives you two."

So commented the author's son, Marshall, upon hearing his captain mom had had some sort of engine problem. Of course, he didn't realize then the "problem" his mom had survived was actually an engine blowing up, along with loss of key controls, tearing out a window, and cabin depressurization. The highpoint of the book is how Captain Shults coped with this onslaught of problems--and yet somehow, keeping cool the entire time.

The title of the book comes
DiAnne
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Nerves of Steel is the captivating true story of Tammie Jo Shults’s remarkable life—from growing up the daughter of a humble rancher, to breaking through gender barriers as one of the Navy’s first female F/A 18 Hornet pilots, to safely landing the severely crippled Southwest Airlines Flight 1380 and helping save the lives of 148 people. Not originally scheduled for that flight, there is no doubt God had prepared her and placed her right where she needed to be that day. Not originally scheduled ...more
Tab Uno
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nerves of Steel is an amazing read more for the real life of Tammie Jo Shults than the editor's decision to omit or de-emphasize some prominent portions of Shult's life. By the end of this easy to read and fascinating, important story of Tammie's life, there linger a number of unanswered questions or descriptions that call out for more: Tammie's father's huge financial problems, her major in college, her engagement, experiences with instrument flying, air to ground missiles, POW training, Boeing ...more
Beth Hunsberger
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced copy of this book.

Tammie Jo has had an extensive career in flying - both in the Navy and later in the commercial world with Southwest Airlines. She recently landed the disabled Southwest plane which was in the news in 2018. Tammie Jo's life started with her childhood in the SW part of the country and follows her through college and her eventual career in the Navy as one of the very few female pilots. Her perseverance and resilience is impressive as she faced many battles
Jose M
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FIGHTER PILOT: THE REAL THING

Fighter pilot: THE coolest thing in the world. That’s what I thought growing up , and still do. Tammy Jo exemplifies this picture , at its best, with all the attributes that should go along. Sex is - or should be - irrelevant in this setting . Either you have IT or you don’t. Period. Tammy clearly has it.
One can only hope that all the despicable conduct of many of Tammy’s superiors are a thing of the past . It should be. What are you going to do: Ban women from ( in
David Faxon
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lesson in perseverance and faith

Nerves of Steel is a must read for every would be aviator who dreams of piloting an F-18 for the Navy or captaining a 737 for Southwest Airlines. Tami Jo Shults has authored a well written account that describes the many obstacles and predjudices she had to overcome to achieve what few women of her time were able to do. Above all, it is a testament to her enduring faith in God that helped her overcome so many challenges. Her account of the flight of SWA 1380
David Patsel
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Book

I could not put this book down, especially the ending. What a beautiful and selfless life Captain Shults has lived. She’s an amazing woman, human being and aviator. Thank God she was in the right place at the right time with the right training.

This entire book is captivating. It made me, as a male, examine if I’m treating the females (and others) with the fairness and respect they deserve and have earned. I’m sure reading this has changed my view of God, the world around me and
Erin Miller
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am grateful that Tammie Jo has appeared in my network and I have been able to chat with her. This book reflects well her life experiences leading up to the aviation incident which prompted news outlets to highlight her prowess in landing a damaged aircraft, skills developed over many years of personal and career challenges, and she seems to encourage the reader to believe that we can all overcome the various and diverse challenges we each encounter along our journey in life.
Kimberly Patton
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this first read of 2020. It started with the flavor of memoir and then moved to one woman’s path through a world paves only for men. It was fascinating to read the struggles she went through to get to fly a plane. I was impressed with her perseverance. Of course all the action of the book was focused near the end when she landed a plane with only one engine, but I had already enjoyed the book so much up until that point, that the final story was just icing on top.
MelanEE Lisa Davidson
Powerfully Inspiring!

Captain Tammie Jo’s story is powerfully inspiring—I cried and laughed and rejoiced with her! (And sometimes I was ready to find the “bad guys” who did her wrong and have a guard dog take them down—that’s how “real” it gets in her book!) But I digress...

Bottom-line—if you’re ready to be inspired, then look no further!
Joline Jones
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bravo!!! Excellent!! A MUST READ!!!

From the first to the last, I was riveted to this book. True events. Candid emotions, beliefs. Character, intrigiity.... God honoring, encouraging. Sad. Happy. Life.
Jason R. Cone
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding!

A beautiful, exciting and gripping personal story about an American life well lived. The heroism and leadership displayed by Captain Shults during Flight 1380 is only a small part of this powerful story. I strongly recommend it!
Butch
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read

This book is not just about being a pilot, more about being a human being and having faith in God to help you meet all life’s challenges in an amazing way. Thanks for writing it
Janet Taylor
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

This book was very well written and pertinent to dealing with today's bullies. The ending incident was so interesting to see how she handled this horrific accident and treatment of all those involved.
Margaret Mechinus
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was able to hear Tammie Jo tell part of her story and immediately ordered her book. I admire her so much and this book is a look back at how she got to where she is today. Family, faith, fortitude- God uses them all, and she gives Him all the credit.
William Alexander Cleaver
A truly inspirational book. I felt that Tammie Jo is a truly wonderful remarkable and inspirational person. I couldn't put the book down. Really an enjoyable an d fascinating book.
Marc Medley
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Agree With Captain Shults, God Is Good!

Nerves of Steel is an awe inspiring read. Captain Shults' story is a metaphor for life that is masterfully and transparently told.
Lorraine
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For 1380

Wow! This book had me laughing, crying, at times mad & frustrated for her! I couldn't put it down. She's an incredible woman whom I hope to meet one day!
Ian Tarrago
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the most or one of the most at least inspirational aviation books I’ve ever in my life.
Sonja Tarrago
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best aviation inspiring book ever

I loved this book because it showed and taught me different lessons about how little things can make an impact on bigger things.
Donna Kirckof
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed reading her story very much. Having been a Christian woman in the military I understood some of what she went through! Great story!

• Tom Clancy Code of Honor (Jack Ryan Universe Book 28)
  • Murder at Mistletoe Manor
  • Fractured (Rachel Hatch #0.5)
  • You Are Worth It: Building a Life Worth Fighting For
  • Jet Girl: My Life in War, Peace, and the Cockpit of the Navy's Most Lethal Aircraft
  • 3 Feet to the Left: A New Captain's Journey from Pursuit to Perspective
  • The Way I Heard It
  • The Hero: The Enduring Myth That Makes Us Human
  • Deep State (Bear Logan #4)
  • Touched by the Sun: My Friendship with Jackie
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #4)
  • The Dressmaker's Gift
  • Secret Lives of the First Ladies
  • Her Silent Cry (Detective Josie Quinn #6)
  • Nantucket Neighbors (Nantucket Beach Plum Cove series Book 2)
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)
  • My Friend Anna: The True Story of a Fake Heiress
  • Christmas in Silver Springs (Silver Springs, #6)
Welcome Aboard,

For those of you who may not know me, my name is Tammie Jo Shults and I am a Southwest Airlines Captain and former Navy pilot. I grew up in New Mexico, and my early interest in flying led me to pursue a career in aviation. I eventually become one of the first females to fly the F/A-18 Hornet after overcoming several obstacles due to being a woman in the man’s world of military