Start by marking “The United States of Trump: How the President Really Sees America” as Want to Read:
The United States of Trump: How the President Really Sees America

The United States of Trump: How the President Really Sees America

A rare, insider’s look at the life of Donald Trump from Bill O'Reilly, the bestselling author of the Killing series, based on exclusive interview material and deep research

Readers around the world have been enthralled by journalist and New York Times bestselling author Bill O’Reilly’s Killing series—riveting works of nonfiction that explore the most famous events in histo
Published September 24th 2019 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about The United States of Trump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The United States of Trump

Ietrio
Oct 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk
And like Jesus, O'Reilly sees into the heart and mind of another individual and translates what the voices tell him.
Patty
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This in not a pro-Trump or anti-Trump book. It is a history book. There are no unnamed sources and O'Reilly does a fine analysis of describing how Donald Trump sees America and what motivates him. It was excellent!
Fountain Of Chris
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first O'Reilly book, and, considering how many bestsellers he's had, I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was that it is a well-written, coherent, and thoughtful book. He's not as impartial as he proclaims himself to be, but he is much more moderate in his approach than one might expect, judging by his TV personality.

The subtitle, "How the President Really Sees America," is a little misleading. Yes, O'Reilly uses a number of interviews (both television and private) to
Brian
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of this book is the best. It dives into Trump’s early life - high school, college and what some of the motivating factors in his family. I was especially interested to learn about his older brother and his sister and how different they turned out.
The second half goes blow by blow through his campaign and eventual victory to the presidency. It was interesting, but less insightful.
The writing is excellent and personal anecdotes make it a worthwhile read.
Susan
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read most of Bill O’Reilly’s books, “Killing Lincoln,” “Killing Kennedy,” etc., and I although I’m not a super-fan, I do like President Trump. So it probably was not surprising that I’d be eager to read O’Reilly’s latest: The United States of Trump: How the President Really Sees America.

The first few chapters talked about Trump’s early years, and to me that was probably the most interesting part of the book. O’Reilly talked quite a bit to Trump’s oldest son, Don Jr., about what
Donna Hines
In dealing with malignant narcissists I've long learned we have what we coined as 'enablers' or if you like 'flying monkeys' in which these loyal harem will do and say anything to be loyal to the gills for their leader.
In this case I cannot diagnose from afar via Goldwater Rule but safe to say what the other side alleges occurs is actually what they themselves are doing.
It's a lovely example of what survivors have experienced through the toxicity known as gaslighting, mirroring, proj
David Gramley
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did not choose this book as a fan of Donald Trump. My view of him is very mixed, and on the character side, I do not respect him. I realize that much of my view of President Trump, actually, everyone’s view of a Trump, is received through the media lens which I believe to be tainted against him. And thus, I saw this book by Bill O’Reilly and have read it to gain a vantage point from an honest and untainted lens. I just need to keep an open mind.

This is vintage O’Reilly. I’ve read most of his
David
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bill-o-reilly
First, I think this is as fair and balanced, to steal a phrase, a book about Donald Trump that has been written. This may be the fairest book to Trump, without being written by a sycophant or a family member, based on what I've seen on the market. It doesn't glorify Trump and it doesn't attempt to tear him down. It provides only factually based criticism when it is deserved. But, it also gives Trump the benefit of the doubt where there is no evidence to base criticism on. O'Reilly does not claim ...more
Colette
First, about the writing — O’Reilly’s use of present tense always drives me crazy, and the interjections about himself were distracting. Sometimes it was hard to follow with all the dates and jumping around in time. Sometimes I had no clue what the date at the head of the chapter had to do with anything. Having said all that, I found this book to be somewhat of a page turner; more so in Part I.

I thought the first half (about Trump’s younger life) was more interesting. I am able to better see wh
Lynn Smith
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another good book by Bill O'Reilly. Most of the books I've read of his are of the "Killing" series (Jesus, Patton, Lincoln, Kennedy, England). This is strictly focused on President Donald Trump and his life and how he became President and, more importantly, why he does the things he does and says the things he says. It was quite interesting and for the most part I believe very fair. Liberals will likely say this book is garbage, but I think O'Reilly gave Donald Trump a very fair shake. H ...more
John Dickinson
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Now it was good. And it was fair. And O'Reilly did a good effort to remain neutral, presenting only the facts. Just sometimes I felt it lacking in detail. A lot of things felt left unexplained or unanswered. Now I do understand that that's probably mostly because there's not enough material available for O'Reilly to conduct his research, but overall it kept me expecting me. It also seemed more like a just history of Trump during the campaign, but was almost entirely void of details on his presid ...more
Heather
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was already a big fan of O'Reilly's books and this one was no exception. I love his way of telling a story using facts but it doesn't read as a boring news report. It's so interesting and engaging that I have trouble putting it down! It seems like we know Trump because his life has been an open book but I really learned alot and continue to be disappointed in the media for their bias against him and others. I listened to the audio version and while Bill O'Reilly read the forward, he has anothe ...more
Thomas Nelson
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: political, journalism
Outstanding! Pithy! A very good summation of a most important election era. Someday there will be another book written showing the depths of corruption within the HRC Campaign, C.I.A., D.O.J. and our 'Smarmy Liberal Media'. That Future book will go well with this one. "The United States of Trump" will be long remembered and reread again long after the dust has settled beyond the year 2024 and Pres. Trump concludes his second term in office. Or, perhaps "Exonerated: The Failed Take down of Presid ...more
Regan
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
O'Reilly starts out the book by saying it is not a pro or con on Trump but just the facts. Well, that's not quite true. It's a lot of facts that say Trump is a victim, that he's doing a great job, that everyone who doesn't think he's wonderful is wrong -- kind of like Trump's own vision of himself. TSome good photographs too -- interestingly the ones of Nancy Pelosi and Hilary Clinton are pretty ghastly where the ones of Trump and his brood are so nice. It IS a better read than Lewandowski's pra ...more
Tim Lock
Very readable

Ego writing about ego. The author and his subject are very ego-driven. Still the subject of Donald Trump is fascinating and the writing of the author is immensely readable, making for a compelling book.
I don't really trust President Trump that much, not really believing that he is as conservative as he portrays himself. I've believed that he has simply adopted a persona that he believes will give him enough support to remain in power.
Some of the interviews presented here sho
Diane E
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, it was well researched and referenced like O’Reilly’s other books.

However, I’m not sure if O’Reilly actually thinks he’s impartial to Trump, or if he just says that. This book was a subtle endorsement of the president, hardly pointing out one defect.

The only 2 people interviewed for the book were Donald Trump and his son Don Jr., and there’s no way Trump would agree to any part of this project if O’Reilly was more objective.

So basically, as long as one is aware o
Cheryl Kloda
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bill O 'Reilly is a gifted writer. I have read most of his books. "The United States Of Trump", was a great read. Author O'Reilly, gives an excellent view into President Trump's character. He really was able to write about what makes President Trump tick. As a reader, I agree that most of the Mainstream Media have been extremely unfair to our American President. I agree with O'Reilly that good and fair Journalism has gone down the drain! I strongly feel that history will be much kinder to Presid ...more
Jorge
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book overall, especially the first half. I thought the second half of the book was a bit rushed and skipped and/or thinly covered a lot of important events. For example, I would have liked more insight into the two Supreme Court selections and going through the process, plus all the judges he has appointed. It is President Trump’s most important accomplishment of his Presidency and his impact on the courts that will last for decades. Credit should be given to O’Reilly for not using a ...more
Marion Marchetto
Well-written, behind the scenes look at the 45th President of the United States and his journey to the White House. Against all odds, this man has not only won the prize but is delivering on his campaign promises in spite of a full-press attempt at impeachment by his political opponents.

Author Bill O'Reilly cuts through the melodrama presented by most sources and get to the bare bones of what makes this president tick. Readers are given a glimpse of Mr. Trump's life before the White
Myra
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this because it was marketed as not an anti-Trump nor a pro-Trump book. I was hoping to gain an insight into who Trump really is--his background, a closer look at his personality, etc. O'Reilly did stay neutral, but really, there was nothing new here. O'Reilly chronicles the events in Trumps life before and during the presidency, but with no new insights into Trump that I didn't already know. Quick read.
Anthony Golden
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent

This book is a decent overview of PDJT. However, it is really more of a description of how Bill O'Reilly sees how President Trump sees America.

He falls into the same trap the MSM (whom he criticizes throughout) falls into -thinking he knows how the President thinks.

There are other and better people to glean insight into our President.

Read this for O'Reilly's "no spin" spin.
Courtney
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Mr. O'Reilly was fair with his subject, giving President Trump credit where credit is due, but also critiquing Mr. Trump where critiquing is due. Like I have mentioned in a review for another book on President Trump, this story is not done being told. Therefore, the book feels unfinished, again no fault of the author. I hope that when President Trump's time in office is over, that Bill O'Reilly will revise this book and give it a fitting end.
Wesley Hansen
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O'Reilly pulls no punches with his book about "The Donald", his background and history as a business man and as a person, and the story behind how he rose to the presidency. Love him or hate him, Trump is a unique individual that is performing as president under the weight of the job, the Democrats, and the national media. We will have to let history decide how effective he has been and will be for this country.
Alexander Stroli
Oct 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Highly Disappointing

This book was more of a buildup of Bill O’Reilly than it was about President Trump. This book is not objective, contrary to Mr O’Reilly’s claim.

Personally, I am very disappointed.

It was supposed to be about “The United States of Trump”, which it was not.
Joan
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bill O'Reilly is a researcher and tries diligently to get to the truth in his books. I believe he did so in this one. I've followed Donald Trump for many, many years and feel that what Bill O'Reilly says is the truth. I'll be interested to hear what the Trump-haters say - "They can't handle the truth!", or can they??
Chad
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Samuel Cramer
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

I admire Donald Trump and feel he is the greatest President of my lifetime. Do I always agree with his tactics, but thank God his appearance at this time in history. I truly believe that Bill O’Riley did a masterful job far beyond what I expected when I started this book. My congratulations on a job well done for both men. (President & Author)
Missyohara
Worthwhile read. I appreciated the in depth review of the election process replayed because my head was spinning during the reality of it. To read it chronicled helped. I did not find the book completely unbiased but I thought it was written fairly. I'm not a trump supported but I am open minded and thought my time spent on this was worthwhile.
Yolanda Breidenbaugh
Oops. I put the wrong book here first. THIS is the one I read. Love him, hate him, or in my case just being grateful for many of the things he has done, I urge you to read this carefully researched and written book by O'Reilly.
Milton O Sauer Jr.
Great read

All of Mr. O'Reilly's books read very fast. There is great insite to how our President thinks and acts. I can only imagine what he goes through on a daily basis. I recommend this book to all, just keep an open mind.
« previous 1 3 next »
Bill O'Reilly's success in broadcasting and publishing is unmatched. The iconic anchor of The O'Reilly Factor led the program to the status of the highest rated cable news broadcast in the nation for sixteen consecutive years. His website BillOReilly.com is followed by millions all over the world.

In addition, he has authored an astonishing 12 number one ranked non-fiction books including th