Start by marking “Devil In The Wind” as Want to Read:
Devil In The Wind

Devil In The Wind

Devil In The Wind is an account of catastrophic fire and its immediate aftermath.

In this 21st century, the whole world seems to be on fire. America burns. Europe burns. Greece is reeling after its own tragedy of fire.

And Australia burns, as it has always done, but now so much more fiercely.

In February 2009, wildfires burnt through entire communities, taking 173 lives and i
Published April 14th 2019 by Wild Arancini Press

To ask other readers questions about Devil In The Wind, please sign up.
Frank Prem Hi Dorothy.

The book is in pre-release at the moment, but e-book through Kindle, paperback through all the online retailers.

In my local area (Northeast…more
Hi Dorothy.

In my local area (Northeast Victoria, there will be a half dozen local bookstores and outlets that will stock the book.

Failing that, if you're in Australia, I can arrange to sell it to you direct and mail it to you.

Let me know if none of that works and we can scratch heads to get a copy to you.

Frank(less)

Start your review of Devil In The Wind
Sharon
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
February 2009 is a year that most of us will never forget. This was the year when 173 people lost their lives and many more were injured due to the horrendous fires that tore through communities in Victoria.

This is the first piece of poetry I’ve ever read and it certainly won’t be my last. Aussie author Frank Prem has done a superb job in writing Devil In The Wind. Thank you Frank for introducing me to poetry. Highly recommended.
Brenda
Outstanding! Aussie author Frank Prem’s Devil in the Wind is made up of the voices of survivors of the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria, where 173 people perished, and complete townships were wiped off the map. Heartbreaking – as we know it was – the beautifully constructed verse took me back to those dreadful days where the firestorms were so fierce it seemed there was nothing anyone could do but watch and wait and hope...

I’m not normally a reader of poetry, but Devil in the Wind capt
Joy RS
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very moving, beautiful, and terrible. This book is more than I can adequately describe, so bear with me here. It’s a poignant account of a terrible event, which, living on another continent, I had heard of, but didn’t properly take in.

It’s not a gruesome book, just incredibly moving: a salute, in a way. The author has taken the words of those who witnessed and survived the tragedy and woven them into poetry. I do hope that in some manner it brings these people catharsis and at least a few night
Robbie Cheadle
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Devil in the Wind is not an ordinary collection of poems as this book tell the story of the awful fires that ravaged parts of Australia in February 2009, destroying homes, livestock, forests and people. Each poems gives a different and unique insight into the effect of the fires on different people in different roles in society, including the firefighters, as well as description of how they reacted to the fires, with fighting spirit, brazenness, prayer or despair.

I live in a country that is als
Christine
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recieved this book for free as a giveaway on another website. Many thanks to the author. This is an honest review.

This book is absolutely awesome. It’s vivid depictions of first-hand wildfire evacuations and fights is unreal. It is as if the reader is experiencing these horrors first hand. A short but gripping read.
Alanah Andrews
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Haunting, terrible, and beautiful all at once. A collection of poems inspired by the bushfires in Australia, told from a range of perspectives. There may have been a tear or two.
Claire Tennant
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
DEVIL IN THE WIND
BY
FRANK PREM
Having just completed, “Small Town Kid” I was looking forward to reading Devil In the Wind. Unlike “Small Town” the Devil is more serious. It stands to reason that Black Saturday 2009 was no laughing matter, therefore, the light-heartedness of Small Town was gone. In its place is a series of poems depicting the fear, the loss, the camaraderie, the failure, in first person but to my mind still personal stories. Frank masters the art of combining empathy with detachmen
Kriti | Armed with A Book
A couple years ago, there was a huge fire in Fort McMurray, Canada. I heard about it on the news but that was about it. Frank's poetry in Devil in the wind reminded me of that fire and connected me with the hardships and anguish that people go through in times of such catastrophes. Poetry has a way of expressing large sentiments in minimal words and Frank does an amazing job of showing perspectives of numerous people who were affected. He also made me think about some bigger questions like what ...more
Christine Goodnough
Superb writing, compelling reading.

I started this book thinking to read a few poems about this tragic event, but couldn't stop until I had finished. Through the first-hand accounts the reader finds himself right there in the midst of the inferno!
The author has skillfully meshed the various voices into a gripping account of the catastrophe, and manages to sound a note of resilience and hope in spite of the destruction.
Cassandra
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this copy as an ARC - and it's a good thing it was an eARC. I laughed at one point, at the irony of the moment depicted, that end moment when we decide it's all over and we might as well ... and you have to read the rest of it to find out what that means, and how such a poignant and heart-rending work can also elicit a solid guffaw.

The melt-downs, emotional, physical, structural - in Australia, it's not uncommon, but what is uncommon is how this book of poetry allows us to live with t
Karen Keilt
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Li
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Devil in the Wind: Voices from the 2009 Black Saturday Bush Fires,” is a book of poetry by Australian poet, Frank Prem, about horrific wildfires across the Australian state of Victoria in 2009. The preface includes descriptions of the physical and trauma effects in the victims' own words. As the book moves along, the poems describe in graphic and statistical detail the scope of the damage to people, places, and things during the fires.

Much of the format of Frank's poetry is stream of consciousn
Cage Dunn
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Mick Canning
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like Frank’s previous book, Small Town Kid, this collection of poems tells a story of rural and small town Australia. But the similarities between the two books end there.
Whereas the previous collection was a celebration of boyhood in Frank’s hometown, this is an account of the dreadful bushfires of February 2009 that swept through parts of Southern Australia, the area that is home to the author, killing 173 people and leaving a huge area a fire-blackened moonscape.
The poems are a mixture of fir
Sally Cronin
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having enjoyed Small Town Kid and Frank Prem's unique way of using verse to convey a story, I was eagerly anticipating this new collection.

The title is apt, as it is not just the frightening power of fire that strikes terror into the hearts of those in its path, but the knowledge that the direction of the flames and your fate is dependent on the fickle winds.
Frank Prem captures the growing concern of the communities in the area as they listen to the radio for the latest reports. So many factors
Richard Dee
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, I’m not a big fan of poetry, I think you can probably blame it on school, the poems we had to read and ‘appreciate’ were never the sort of thing that stirred me. I could never see the meanings that well-meaning teachers ascribed to the words. As for rhyme…

However, times change. I have read Frank Prem’s book, Devil in the Wind through older eyes, without a teacher breathing down my neck, explaining what it all ‘means’. Having family in Australia no doubt also helps; as the subjec
Sally Cronin
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having enjoyed Small Town Kid and Frank Prem’s unique way of using verse to convey a story, I was eagerly anticipating this new collection.

M.J. Mallon
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I discovered my love of poetry as a teenager and this love continues to this day.

Devil in The Wind is very different from any poetry book that I have ever read before. I’ve never encountered stream of consciousness poems before, or poetry that chronicles such a devastating experience in such a thoughtful, honest, human and visual way.

Poetry delivers raw emotions in a way that prose sometimes struggles to do.

My favourite poems are:

Evidence to the Commission of Enquiry

Like A Duck on The Lake

Portra
Bala Mudaly
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Devil in the Wind by Frank Prem (2019)
Frank Prem has a gift for narrative poetry that’s simple, direct and easily understood – not obscure like some poetry. In Devil in the Wind, he draws on the testimonies people impacted by the 2009 catastrophic Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria, Australia. Their voices come alive in narrative verse expressing many shades of despair and distress – and sometimes hope. He captures movingly the varied emotions, gestures and responses of survivors, volunteers a
Janet Gogerty
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I started reading Devil In The Wind I couldn't have imagined that the latest fires in Australia were going to build up to the most terrible conflagration ever known. Frank Prem's book in his unique style of poetry is about the 2009 Black Saturday in Victoria. His opening dedication says 'For all those affected by wildfire. May our love for the bush remain, while our hearts grow ever more resilient.' Words needed more than ever. As soon as I started reading, the voices were real; what people ...more
Caroline Walken
Apr 28, 2019
S. Pearce
May 01, 2019
Aussie Readers: Devil In The Wind - Frank Prem 65 22 Sep 11, 2019 03:03PM
Aussie Readers: New Poetry Collection: Devil In The Wind 4 5 Mar 16, 2019 02:52AM

• Life’s Rich Tapestry: Woven in Words
  • Marriage Unarranged
  • Jane the Quene (The Seymour Saga #1)
  • The Path to Somerset (The Seymour Saga #2)
  • Dog Bone Soup: A Boomer's Journey
  • The Chalky Sea (The Canadians #1)
  • La Tresse
  • Cold Storage
  • Shadows (Sapphire Smyth & The Shadow Five, #1)
  • Learning to Fall: The Blessings of an Imperfect Life
  • A Different Time
  • The Key in the Satin Pocket (Nancy Drew, #152)
  • Love of Finished Years
  • The Christmas Letter (A Tess and Tilly Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • The Mother's Day Mishap (Tess and Tilly #3)
  • Kingdom: Tiber City Blues
  • More Glimpses
  • The Barn Owls

Frank Prem has been a storytelling poet for forty years. When not writing or reading his poetry to an audience, he fills his time by working as a psychiatric nurse.

He has been published in magazines, zines and anthologies, in Australia and in a number of other countries, and has both performed and recorded his work as ‘spoken word’.

He lives with his wife, in the beautiful township of Beechworth