Start by marking “Devil In The Wind” as Want to Read:
Devil In The Wind

Devil In The Wind

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  10 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Devil In The Wind is an account of catastrophic fire and its immediate aftermath.

In this 21st century, the whole world seems to be on fire. America burns. Europe burns. Greece is reeling after its own tragedy of fire.

And Australia burns, as it has always done, but now so much more fiercely.

In February 2009, wildfires burnt through entire communities, taking 173 lives and i
Published April 14th 2019 by Wild Arancini Press

To ask other readers questions about Devil In The Wind, please sign up.
Frank Prem Hi Dorothy.

The book is in pre-release at the moment, but e-book through Kindle, paperback through all the online retailers.

In my local area (Northeast…more
Hi Dorothy.

In my local area (Northeast Victoria, there will be a half dozen local bookstores and outlets that will stock the book.

Failing that, if you're in Australia, I can arrange to sell it to you direct and mail it to you.

Let me know if none of that works and we can scratch heads to get a copy to you.

Frank(less)

it was amazing 5.00  ·

Brenda
Outstanding! Aussie author Frank Prem’s Devil in the Wind is made up of the voices of survivors of the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria, where 173 people perished, and complete townships were wiped off the map. Heartbreaking – as we know it was – the beautifully constructed verse took me back to those dreadful days where the firestorms were so fierce it seemed there was nothing anyone could do but watch and wait and hope...

I’m not normally a reader of poetry, but Devil in the Wind capt
Joy RS
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very moving, beautiful, and terrible. This book is more than I can adequately describe, so bear with me here. It’s a poignant account of a terrible event, which, living on another continent, I had heard of, but didn’t properly take in.

It’s not a gruesome book, just incredibly moving: a salute, in a way. The author has taken the words of those who witnessed and survived the tragedy and woven them into poetry. I do hope that in some manner it brings these people catharsis and at least a few night
Christine
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recieved this book for free as a giveaway on another website. Many thanks to the author. This is an honest review.

This book is absolutely awesome. It’s vivid depictions of first-hand wildfire evacuations and fights is unreal. It is as if the reader is experiencing these horrors first hand. A short but gripping read.
Sally Cronin
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having enjoyed Small Town Kid and Frank Prem's unique way of using verse to convey a story, I was eagerly anticipating this new collection.

The title is apt, as it is not just the frightening power of fire that strikes terror into the hearts of those in its path, but the knowledge that the direction of the flames and your fate is dependent on the fickle winds.
Frank Prem captures the growing concern of the communities in the area as they listen to the radio for the latest reports. So many factors
Cassandra
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this copy as an ARC - and it's a good thing it was an eARC. I laughed at one point, at the irony of the moment depicted, that end moment when we decide it's all over and we might as well ... and you have to read the rest of it to find out what that means, and how such a poignant and heart-rending work can also elicit a solid guffaw.

The melt-downs, emotional, physical, structural - in Australia, it's not uncommon, but what is uncommon is how this book of poetry allows us to live with t
Alanah Andrews
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Haunting, terrible, and beautiful all at once. A collection of poems inspired by the bushfires in Australia, told from a range of perspectives. There may have been a tear or two.
Karen Keilt
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Li
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Devil in the Wind: Voices from the 2009 Black Saturday Bush Fires,” is a book of poetry by Australian poet, Frank Prem, about horrific wildfires across the Australian state of Victoria in 2009. The preface includes descriptions of the physical and trauma effects in the victims' own words. As the book moves along, the poems describe in graphic and statistical detail the scope of the damage to people, places, and things during the fires.

Much of the format of Frank's poetry is stream of consciousn
Cage Dunn
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mick Canning
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like Frank’s previous book, Small Town Kid, this collection of poems tells a story of rural and small town Australia. But the similarities between the two books end there.
Whereas the previous collection was a celebration of boyhood in Frank’s hometown, this is an account of the dreadful bushfires of February 2009 that swept through parts of Southern Australia, the area that is home to the author, killing 173 people and leaving a huge area a fire-blackened moonscape.
The poems are a mixture of fir
Carolyn
Apr 28, 2019
S. Pearce
May 01, 2019
Aussie Readers: Devil In The Wind - Frank Prem 24 9 May 17, 2019 04:25AM
Aussie Readers: New Poetry Collection: Devil In The Wind 4 4 Mar 16, 2019 02:52AM

Frank Prem has been a storytelling poet for forty years. When not writing or reading his poetry to an audience, he fills his time by working as a psychiatric nurse.

He has been published in magazines, zines and anthologies, in Australia and in a number of other countries, and has both performed and recorded his work as ‘spoken word’.

He lives with his wife, in the beautiful township of Beechworth
“the effort may have blackened
some part of his soul
and he can't quite remember
what it's like