Start by marking “Remembering the Dead (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #10)” as Want to Read:
Remembering the Dead (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #10)

Remembering the Dead

(Penny Brannigan #10)

Kindle Edition
Published September 10th 2019 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Remembering the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remembering the Dead

Start your review of Remembering the Dead (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #10)
Fred
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remembering The Dead is the tenth book in the Penny Brannigan series.

Penny is asked by the owner of a manor house nearby to plan a party for him. The party is to celebrate “The Black Chair” which was given to Hedd Wyn posthumously, having been killed in WWI, the chair has been refurbished and will be heading to Wyn’s home which has been restored and will serve as a memorial. Dinner is finished and everyone is heading for the grand unveiling, but as they enter the room it is found that chair is n
Kirsti
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

The first thought I had when I started was 'Oh no, this book appears to be later in a series I haven't read'. Yes, this is typical with me and cozies, and you either sink or swim. Thankfully, this is a swim kind of book and you became entralled by the mystery of the whodunnit. The set up was probably a little long for most people's taste, but I needed it coming into this blind. It meant I got a bit of backstory and had mor
Betty
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, cozy-mystery, e-books
A Penny Brannigan book will catch your attention from the beginning and will hold it until the end. The 10th installment will not disappoint you as Penny searches for the killer of a server at a formal dinner to celebrate the 1O0th year anniversary the end of World War One. A chair was given to poet, Hedd Wyn and it important as a piece of Welsh history will make an appearance. It is known as the Black Chair.
Penny is the event chairman and is upset at the dinner when the Black Chair has disappea
Mystereity Reviews
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've read this series since the beginning and I love how the world of Llanelen and the characters have grown and expanded as the series progressed. In this one, Penny is tasked with preparing an elegant old fashioned dinner party at the local estate, featuring a historic artifact - The Black Chair, an honorary award given to celebrated bards; this one was given to a poet who died in WWI and was posthumously awarded the chair. After being refurbished, it is set to become the feature attraction at ...more
Crystal
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the 10th book in the series, but I was able to muddle through fairly well. While at a dinner party that is supposed to end with the unveiling of Hedd Wyn’s Black Chair from 1917(which has been restored), we discover that the chair has been stolen and a person has been killed. The police were called in, but Penny has decided that she needs to investigate as well. Since Penny’s had experience solving mysteries in the past, no one objects to her involvement.
This is billed as a cozy mystery
Lynn
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all ten of the Penny Brannigan books. It is a series that I keep up with. When a new book comes out, I immediately search it out. Penny, who is a Canadian, when on a hiking trip through Wales fell in love with the country and moved there. She started out in the early books as a manicurist and now is a co-owner of a successful spa in her town.

I enjoy the books for the repeating characters. Mrs. Lloyd is a customer who know everyone's business. Over time I realized that I enjoy her cha
Toni
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

This is the tenth book in the Penny Brannigan series by Elizabeth J. Duncan.

I am in awe of this author. A new favorite for me.

Sometimes when you read series with a lot of installments(books), you discover that the current books aren’t always as surprising or interesting as the previous books. I didn’t find that to be the case here. It felt like this was maybe book four or five in the series instead of ten. I thought that was pretty cool! Kudos to you for making it look so easy, Ms. Dunc
Kristina
Remembering the Dead by Elizabeth J. Duncan is the tenth A Penny Brannigan Mystery. Emyr Gruffydd is going to host a dinner in honor of the hundredth anniversary of Armistice Day and he has asked Penny Brannigan to help organize the event. There will be a display of World War I artifacts plus the newly restored Black Chair that was awarded posthumously to Welsh poet Hedd Wyn in 1917. When they remove the black drape from the bardic chair, they find it is gone. Penny is looking for Lane Hardwick ...more
Kathy Martin
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an okay cozy mystery. It is the tenth in the Penny Brannigan series but worked well for this new reader. Penny is a spa owner and artist and is apparently famous in her small town for solving murders.

She is asked to organize a formal dinner for a local landowner who plans to display the Black Chair which was given posthumously to the Welsh poet Hedd Wyn in 1917 after he died in World War I. The chair has been restored and is to be displayed in a restored farm site. In just three weeks,
Laurie
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1917 a bardic chair was posthumous awarded to the winning poet of the National Eisteddfod of Wales. The winner's chair was draped in a black, became known at the Black Chair. Remembering the Dead opens with Penny Brannigan hearing the story of the chair, which is now a national treasure. When the chair goes missing, and a body is found, Penny steps in to solve the mystery.

I enjoyed the historical aspect of the story regarding the Black Chair and WWI. The descriptive quality of the writing is
Cherry London
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Penny has been asked to organize an old fashion dinner party at the hall for her friend Emyr, where the unveiling of one of Wales national treasure the black chair would take place. Although the dinner was a success things didn’t go that well with the chair. Faced with two perplexing scenarios the disappearance of the chair and a murder, Penny finds herself involved in trying to solve the two crimes. A rather enjoyable and interesting read.
Annarella
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the first book I read in this series and won't surely be the last.
I appreciated the well written cast of character, the pace, and the setting.
I loved the description of the setting that made me wish to be back in Wales, a place I love.
The mystery is good and it kept me guessing.
I look forward to reading other books in this series.
Recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Susan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-wales
Penny Brannigan is asked to help organize a real, old-fashioned dinner party by the local squire, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of World War I and to see a famous artifact, a chair awarded to a poet who died in the war. The dinner goes well, until the chair is stolen and one of the waiters hired for the event is killed. The dead man had a connection to Penny's spa, and she's determined to find his murderer. At the same time, she's concerned about the chair, especially as it's to be shown ...more
Carol
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read - didn't even skip to the end of the book, which saying a lot for me.
Gail C.
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book. This one made me think I'll have to check out the rest of the series. I've delayed publishing the full review until closer to publication date in September.
Bebe (Sarah) Brechner
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fine story in this very readable, thoughtful mystery series. The WWI connection in this entry is fascinating, adding a special dimension to yet another mystery for Penny to solve. The author has done an outstanding job in giving the readers an authentic historical background, intriguing characters, and vivid descriptions of the great Welsh setting. A highly reliable series that every library should acquire.
K.M.
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am not sure how I did not pick up this series before, but I am so glad I did. I am going to read the previous books because this one was such a terrific book.
A top notch whodunit and great characters.
I highly recommend this book.
I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, cozy
When Penny is asked by her friend Emyr to help plan a dinner party in order to show a select few the famed Welsh treasure, the Black Chair, she agrees. With the help of several locals, everything seems to be going swimmingly. She's also pleased that her young friend Lane is able to help as a server, and seems to be doing well, until he falls in the back pantry and spills drinks. Although he insists he's fine, Penny's not so sure when Lane disappears. And when the showing finally arrives, so does ...more
Carole Jarvis
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/35DCmPz

For anyone who enjoys British mysteries, the Penny Brannigan series by Elizabeth J. Duncan is a winner. And a Welsh setting is simply the icing on the cake! I discovered this series many years ago when searching for murder mysteries set in the UK and have greatly enjoyed each story. Remembering the Dead easily stands alone, but reading through the series gives a familiarity with the characters and setting.

Remembering the Dead is one of my fav
Karen Hollins-Stallman
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Remembering the Dead is the 10th instalment in the "Penny Brannigan" Mystery series. At first I thought is this a reprint but realized I must of read a previous instalment. This reads more as a traditional mystery than cozy in my opinion and took me longer to read. It was like stepping back to when all I read was British mysteries. This can be read as a stand alone but recommend reading in order.

Canadian amateur sleuth Penny Brannigan attends a dinner party at a posh country house--where a histo
Christi M
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Remembering the Dead is a delightful cozy mystery that you can curl up with.

This Penny Brannigan mystery begins when the famous Black Chair disappears from a private dinner/exhibition followed by the discovery of the body of one of the waiters. Penny then begins her quest to find out more information from different individuals in hopes of putting the pieces together and find the missing chair and killer.

I am not familiar with this series, but after finishing a different book with a more somber t
Susan
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are new to this series, please don't be put off by the fact that this is the 10th in the series. It stands on its own very well and, if you like it as much as I did, you have nine books to enjoy. Penny Brannigan is a wonderful character and the setting is perfect. Penny even takes a trip to Ireland in this one in her search for clues to catch a killer.
Somebody has stolen a chair and, in the process, committed a murder. Who would kill over a chair? Well, this is a historical chair, known a
Lesa
World War I must have been on my mind lately. It's odd that I ended up reviewing two books in a row with the shadows of the Great War. Remembering the Dead is Elizabeth J. Duncan's latest Penny Brannigan mystery, set in Wales.

For the 100th anniversary of the Armistice that ended World War I, Emyr Gruffydd, owner of Ty Brith Hall in Llanelen, Wales, plans a dinner party. He also wants to have an exhibit from the war years. The highlight of the evening will be the unveiling of the Black Chair. The
Cozy Cat Reviews
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Remembering the Dead is the 10th installment in the "Penny Brannigan" Mystery series. I highly recommend the entire series Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the ARC. My opinion is my own.

In this next in series our intrepid protagonist Penny Brannigan attends a dinner party at quite the posh country house. Right away this reminded me of Agatha Christie with the perfect setting of a dinner party in a mysterious house .

Penny Brannigan has been asked to organize the formal dinner to
Ed
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
#10 in the Penny Brannigan series. This 2019 series entry from author Elizabeth J. Duncan is brimming over with Welsh atmosphere and literary history. It is a cozy and series fans will see all their favorite series characters but they will also see what a small world coincidence makes. Penny travels to the university town and shares a café table with two young women who happen to be students who are familiar with the instructor she is seeking and also recognize the student she is asking about. T ...more
Mandy
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
With thanks to the author, NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for the ARC.
Description
"In award-winning author Elizabeth J. Duncan's tenth Penny Brannigan mystery, Welsh amateur sleuth Penny Brannigan attends a dinner party at a posh country house--where a historic chair disappears and a waiter is murdered.
Artist and spa owner Penny Brannigan is dressed to the nines for a formal dinner at a charming country house. After dinner, the guests adjourn to the library for a private exhibition of the Black
FMSWarrior
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
What’s better than a good cozy? A good cozy that weaves some actual historical content into the storyline! This tenth entry in the Penny Brannigan series does just that and hit the mark on all fronts.

When the Black Chair, a piece of Welsh history, is restored and heading back for a grand celebration, one of the locals manages to arrange for it to be shown at his country manor house on the journey back home. With a private dinner party arranged, Penny agrees to coordinate the dinner. But when the
Vicki
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While this is the tenth in the Penny Brannigan mystery series, it is the first book that I have rad by Elizabeth J. Duncan. I so enjoyed it, I immediately purchased the first in the series and will read my way through them in order. This book can easily be read stand-alone and doesn’t seem to contain too much by way of spoilers for previous books.

In this story, Penny is confronted with a theft, a missing person and a murder. It seems as though all must be related and Penny goes to work solving a
Amy Gill Horton
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Reading Remembering the Dead, I felt as if I were on a mini-vacation to the Welsh countryside manor and sitting in on the private dinner party arranged for a select few to view a national treasure. Duncan incorporates history, mystery, and everyday personable characters into a whodunit that needs to be solved before it affects an upcoming royal family event.

This is the tenth in Elizabeth Duncan's Penny Brannigan series and she did an excellent job setting the book up as a standalone novel. The
Linda
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This 10th installment in Duncan's Penny Brannigan series is a real treat for cozy fans!! I'd estimate that I read about 60 to 70 different mystery series and this Elizabeth J. Duncan series is a top 3 series for me. Of the first 10 books in the series, this one was my favorite!!

In this series, set in a village in North Wales, this particular book involves a dinner party for a World War 1-connected event. The plot is outstanding and I intend this as a high compliment, but it has an old-fashioned
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bound for Murder (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries, #4)
  • A Legacy of Murder (Kate Hamilton Mysteries, #2)
  • Fatal Roots (County Cork #8)
  • There's A Murder Afoot (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #5)
  • Read and Buried (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #6)
  • Buried in the Stacks (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #3)
  • Killer in the Carriage House (Victorian Village Mysteries #2)
  • The Bodies in the Library (First Edition Library Mystery, #1)
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • Lavender Blue Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery #21)
  • The Body on the Train (Kate Shackleton, #11)
  • Murder in the Corn Maze (A Granny Reid Mystery #2)
  • Silent Night, Deadly Night (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery, #4)
  • Haunted House Murder
  • Pride, Prejudice and Poison (A Jane Austen Society Mystery, #1)
  • A Murderous Tangle
  • A View to a Kilt (Liss MacCrimmon Mysteries #13)
  • Fatal Cajun Festival (Cajun Country Mystery #5)
After graduating from Carleton University, Ottawa, with a BA in English, Elizabeth J. Duncan worked as a writer and editor for some of Canada’s largest newspapers, and as a public relations practitioner.

A two-time winner of the Bloody Words Award for Canada's best light mystery, she is the author of two traditional mystery series, Penny Brannigan set in North Wales and Shakespeare in the Catskills

Penny Brannigan (10 books)
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • A Brush with Death (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #2)
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
  • A Small Hill to Die On (Penny Brannigan, #4)
  • Never Laugh As a Hearse Goes By (Penny Branigan #5)
  • Slated for Death (Penny Brannigan Mystery, #6)
  • Murder on the Hour (Penny Brannigan, #7)
  • Murder Is for Keeps (Penny Brannigan, #8)
  • The Marmalade Murders