Start by marking “The Confession” as Want to Read:
The Confession

The Confession

The sensational new novel from the million-copy bestselling author of The Miniaturist and The Muse.

One winter's afternoon on Hampstead Heath in 1980, Elise Morceau meets Constance Holden and quickly falls under her spell. Connie is bold and alluring, a successful writer whose novel is being turned into a major Hollywood film. Elise follows Connie to LA, a city of strange
Published September 24th 2019 by Picador (first published September 19th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Confession, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Trish Scott
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Confession
Paromjit
Jessie Burton's latest offering is an intimate, intelligent exploration of the complexity of women's lives and the depth nature of relationships in a narrative that goes back and forth in time as the lives of the three central protagonists are laid bare. In the 1980s, a young, beautiful and naive Elise Morceau meets the much older Constance Holden on Hampstead Heath. She falls for the confident and charismatic Constance, a writer whose novel is being turned into a big Hollywood movie, and ...more
Emer (A Little Haze)
The Confession is such a powerful novel. Not only does it have an incredible plot and interesting story...
But the women.
Wow!
These three main characters of Elise, Connie and Rose...
I am floored!
These women are so incredibly authentic. They are each so unique and so vital. Their stories are incredibly relatable to any reader. They speak to the spiritual autonomy of women. These women each in their own ways are on the same path, that of learning to trust yourself first and foremost. Learning to
Blair
I was glued to this. At over 400 pages, it's not quite a 'read it in one sitting' book, but I tore through it within a day. (Lovers of reading cliches will be delighted to hear I actually burned something I was cooking on the hob because I couldn't tear myself away from it.) The Confession is utterly engrossing; it took me on an emotional journey; at the end, I was sorry to leave its characters behind – but I also felt entirely satisfied with the endings they were given.

It's about two women:
Sharon
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m not sure how I found out about this author, but I’m so glad that I did. A beautiful and powerful story one in which I found I could not bare to put down. A truly moving tale of friendship, secrets, motherhood and so much more.

I throughly enjoyed this book and I also love the cover. This was the first book I’ve read by this author, but it definitely won’t be my last. Highly recommended.
Louise Wilson
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rose Simmons has a dead end job and a relationship that's floundering. She's never k own her mother, Elise Morceau s she had disappeared when Rose was just a baby. He father gives her a book and tells Rose that the author knew her mother and might have some knowledge about what had happened to her. Intrigued, Rose secures herself as a companion to the now famous author, Constance Holden. Rose changes her name to "Laura Brown". She is desperate to find answers and she hope that Constance will ...more
Anna Luce
2.5 stars (rounded up to 3)

Although The Confession had a very promising start...I think I liked the book's cover more than its actual contents.

“It came smoothly to me, this loosening the threads of my own identity, weaving a new one. How had it become this easy to let go of myself, to pour words and fantasy into these gaping holes?”

The premise of The Confession is one that has been done time and again. A young-ish woman forms a bond with an older woman, the latter is often famous (she can be
Britta Böhler
Nope. Not for me. The writing made me cringe, the characters were flimsy and the story was... well, just 'meh'.
karen
Aug 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
how am i just hearing about this now? i feel very out of the loop, people!
Abbie | ab_reads
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it

Thank you so much @picadorbooks for my free copy of Jessie Burton’s The Confession! Once again I was spellbound by Burton’s masterful storytelling, this time focusing on books, what it means to be a mother and plenty of secrets.
Burton makes great use of the dual narrative in this one, jumping back and forth through time between the 80s and 2017/18. Usually I tend to prefer one narrative and find myself speeding through the other to get back to my favourite, but that wasn’t the case
Amanda
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
In 1980 Elsie meets Constance on Hampstead Heath, she is a writer who is older and very charismatic, they begin a meaningful and intense relationship. When Constance takes them to L.A as her book is going to be turned into a film, Elsie feels like she has been abandoned, as Constance is too busy for her and expects her to wait on the sidelines.

The story jumps to 2017, Rosie has never known her mother,as she left when she was a child and was raised by her dad Matt. Matt gives her some books and
Ceecee
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely superb book which is so well written. This story is told from the perspectives of Elise, Connie and Rosie and goes backwards and forwards fluidly from 1980-83 and 2017. Elise and Connie meet in London in 1980 and begin a relationship which is a very deep one. Elise believes that Connie ‘lured her in’ but thinks she doesn’t give her as much back as she gives to Connie. Connie can be silent and dismissive, perhaps partly due to age difference (Elise is much younger) and ...more
Caroline Middleton
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I feel really icky about this book.

The things I liked: the writing is absolutely gorgeous, very distinctive and evocative. Burton has a visual writing style that showcases her drama background and I loved how easy it was to read. She also writes very convincing characters - it felt real.

The things I didn’t: the characters are not likeable at all and the bad choices they made really triggered me because Burton is THAT GOOD with creating characters, but also, I wasn’t rooting for any of them.
Emily B
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to netgalley, the author and the publishers for an advanced copy of this book.

I’ve read another book by the author and found this one very different. So don’t expect it to be similar.

I really enjoyed the characters, and felt my feelings towards them change all the time.
Yes some parts weren’t as interesting as others and it’s not a short book but the story is an interesting one without being too complicated.

The ending was a little frustrating as I like clear answers but that doesn’t
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥
When I read a novel and it leaves me thinking about the themes, the characters and their life it's clear that the reading experience was totally worthwhile. I have been mulling over my thoughts and there is no doubt that this author writes a beautiful and compelling narrative.

The trajectory of the story toggles between the 1980s and three decades later where we see Rose drawn to the lady who influenced the life of her mother, Elise, a mother who mysteriously has not been any part of her life.
Michael
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since author Jessie Burton hit the big time in 2014 with the million-selling debut, The Miniaturist there has been an expectation from her fans with every future release. With her 2016 follow up The Muse we seen a story with Burton in a much happier place and fed my supposition of continued success. Thankfully this is something that has been proven right in what is a subtle masterpiece.

The story focusses on Rose Simmons who learns in her 30's that her mother abandoned her as a child and the
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

**3.5 stars**

The Confession by Jessie Burton. (2019).

In 1980 Elise meets the alluring Constance, quickly falls under her spell and they head to L.A. where Constance's book is being turned into a movie. Connie thrives on the heat and electricity but Elise finds herself floundering. When she overhears a conversation at a party that devastates her, Elise makes an impulsive decision that will change her life forever.
Over 30 years later,
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
The Confession by Jessie Burton is a dual narrative story about three women, Elise, Constance and Rose. Elise and Constance are lovers in the 1980s and in the present day, Rose seeks answers about her mother Elise, who left when she was a baby.

Constance is a successful author, and the reader is given an insight into her career during the 1980s and her life as a reclusive writer in the present day. Rose devises a ruse to meet Constance and drill her for answers about her mother.

The Confession is
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
With a million copies of The Miniaturist sold, Jessie Burton returns with her highly anticipated third novel, The Confession. A book punctuated by poised and powerful storytelling, The Confession is a rich examination of motherhood, friendship, love betrayal, secrets and identity.

By chance, in the year 1980, Elise Morceau falls into the company of Constance Holden, a highly regarded author. Sparks fly between the two women and this fateful meeting sets in
SueLucie
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is the most emotionally engaging book I’ve read for a long time, chock full with strong female characters, not all particularly likeable, told in parallel timelines between the 1980s and the present day. I did like Rose and hoped throughout that she would come through and find resolution to her lifelong yearning for her mother. (view spoiler) ...more
Rebecca
A cut above Burton’s two previous novels, The Miniaturist and The Muse, and my favorite book cover* of the year. I just wish that she / her publisher hadn’t tried to stick to the pattern of a two-word title starting with ‘The’, as this title feels meaninglessly generic. Yes, there are a couple of important confessions in the book – one is about three-quarters of the way through, when Rose Simmons admits that she’s been masquerading as Laura Brown, an experienced personal assistant, to gain ...more
Anna Maria Boland
This book! Read it. Read everything Jessie Burton writes.
This book is beautiful and heartbreaking and full of hope. But it’s the writing that makes this story amazing. I don’t know how Jessie Burton does it, but in every book her writing fits exactly the story and the characters. I was reading this book very slowly just to be able to enjoy it longer. I want to bath in her writing, I want to learn how to write like this. I want to keep reading Jessie Burton’s stories and let her writing fill me
Natasha
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
So.... this was not my favourite Burton unfortunately. I love the cover, and I liked the concept, but just didn't connect with any of the characters.

However, in a book about self-discovery, I discovered something about myself. I don't enjoy reading about Hollywood, or film making, during any time period. This is odd because I adore watching movies. I felt similarly about the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - no connection. Go figure....

I still love Burton's writing though and will definitely pick
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
OMG!!!

My View:
I finished reading this last night – OMG!!!

This is such a sublime read full of emotional intelligence and elegant prose – I just wanted to highlight paragraphs and paragraphs – because of the skilled use of language AND because of the many astute revelations about life’s journey.

The narrative is engaging; a bit of mystery, a lot of coming of age, of learning to love oneself and live in the moment not the future, about acceptance, family, identity… this book has so much to offer.
Elle (theartfulelle)
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jessie Burton is quickly becoming a go-to author of mine. Having read and loved both The Muse, and The Miniaturist, I really didn’t know what to expect from The Confession. It did not disappoint! There is something wonderful about Burton’s writing that quickly draws you in, and once you are in, you are hooked!

Starting in the early 1980’s we meet Elsie Morceau as she comes spellbound by the mysterious and alluring Constance Holden. Connie is a successful writer and Elsie finds herself following
Fatima
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is full of lovely, beautifully crafted sentences. There are many places where something everyday and domestic is taken by the author and described in the most relatable and apposite way. It is a real delight to come across these sentences and I think I will ponder over them from time to time. The 80s are also described in a way where you reflexively pictured the scene. The fashion of the era is quite well depicted, conjuring the whole ensemble in an instant in the mind's eye.

However I
Jack (That English Guy who Reads)
I've eagerly awaited Burton's third novel since the moment I finished The Muse, back when that was published in 2016. It is safe to say that The Confession does not disappoint.

Burton reaches a new literary height here, with writing that is so beautifully crafted and language which drips in vivid imagery and rich, lucid detail. From the very first page Burton's writing is as familiar and as warming as an open fire on a winter's evening.

The Confession is very much a novel about how books can be
Liina Bachmann
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
This was my first read by Jessie Burton and I have mixed feelings. The story was rather predictable and didn't gather steam until halfway through the book. The dual narrative worked - she chose well when to switch and you were always eager to get back to the other parallel narrative - they were equally written and I didn't find myself rushing through one to get to the other.
I liked the themes that ran through both narratives - of being lost in your thirties, questioning your long term
Pauliina (The Bookaholic Dreamer)
Dear glorious, eternally powerful ARC Gods, I pray thee to descend an ARC of The Confession upon me. I would forever cherish it, and no one loved the Miniaturist more than I. I would tattoo this bunny on my body if you would rather have a serious token of my devotion.

Linda Kelly
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Odd one this. Didn't enjoy it much, didn't like most of the characters and the so called confession was just, well, meh! Yet I wanted to read it to the end. Very odd. ...more
Octothorpe Reader Leora K
First 5-hashtag of 2020!
My Rating: #####/5

I was gifted a copy of The Confession by Pan Macmillan SA . This is an unpaid review.

At one point in your life; if you haven’t already, you will read a book that steals your heart, breaks into a million pieces and leaves you broken. This is not that book. This book is the opposite of that. The Confession rips your heart out of your chest, shatters it, leaves you aching and in anguish and then slowly and lovingly puts it back together. Jessie Burton uses

• Bone China
  • Three Hours
  • The Man Who Saw Everything
  • So Lucky
  • The Other Half of Augusta Hope
Jessie Burton studied at Oxford University and the Central School of Speech and Drama, where she appeared in productions of The House of Bernarda Alba, Othello, Play and Macbeth. In April 2013 her first novel, The Miniaturist, was sold at an 11-publisher auction at the London Book Fair, and went on to sell in 29 other countries around the world. It was published by Picador in the UK and Holland in ...more