Start by marking “El tercer deseo” as Want to Read:
El tercer deseo

El tercer deseo

(The Forbidden Wish #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  10,496 ratings  ·  2,256 reviews
Zahra lleva tanto tiempo encerrada en su lámpara que, cuando un ladronzuelo la descubre, se topa con un mundo muy distinto: ahora, la magia está prohibida y su nombre se ha convertido en una leyenda. Una aterradora por lo que le hizo a su anterior ama.

Decidida a huir, Zahra acepta el trato que le propone el rey de los genios: la libertad a cambio de una terribl
Published May 2019 by Nocturna (first published February 23rd 2016)

·  10,496 ratings  ·  2,256 reviews

Emily May
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Wishes have a way of twisting themselves, and there is nothing more dangerous than getting your heart's desire. The question is, are you willing to gamble? How much are you willing to lose? What are you willing to risk everything for?”

I had a lot of doubts going into The Forbidden Wish. Yet another YA retelling? Yet another YA romance? But I should never have doubted my trusted Goodreads friends because there is nothing typical about this book.

Firstly, it is very romancey. Let's get that out of the
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I am not allowed to hope. I am forbidden a wish of my own. And so I will not think of the world above, of the open sky, of the fresh air and the light of day.

I will be lost, a myth, a dream. Trapped forever with myself in this prison of sand and magic. I cannot imagine a more terrifying doom. I thought I had resigned myself to this fate long ago, when it seemed no one would ever find me. Now I know this to be untrue, and that hope has pulsed deep within me like a dormant seed, waiting to flourish at
Lola
4 1/2 stars.

My, my, what an enchanting retelling of Aladdin brimming with magic, humour, villains and good kissing!

‘‘Give me thy hand,’’ said the Queen, ‘‘and let us be friends. For does not the poet say, one true-hearted friend is worth ten thousand camels laden with gold?’’

This the Jinni pondered, before replying, ‘‘The poet also says, woe to the man who befriends the jinn, for he shakes hands with death.’’

Zahra is a jinni. For thousands of years, she has granted wishes. Freedom is/>
Chaima ✨ شيماء
The high point of this book was when the murder girl squad lured Aladdin into a dark alley and then promptly kidnapped him and it’s all gone downhill from there.

The romance ruined this book for me. I know we all have those silly things that rile us up for no reason and we should collectively calm down and realize it’s not that deep but to be honest, as soon as I notice the Signs™ of a budding cliché hetero romance, every bone in my body would groan internally and second-hand embarras
jessica
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is better than the original story of aladdin and im not even sorry that i think this.

this is just so well-balanced between creating a fresh new story with also having the subtle echoes of something familiar. and each new and original additional to the old tale is just so vibrant, that it totally outshines everything i thought i knew about the original story.

although, i have come to the conclusion that i can read anything related to arabian nights and i will absolutely adore it.
Jessica Khoury
Jan 30, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
THE FORBIDDEN WISH is a story that has been tugging at me for years, and I'm overjoyed and honored to finally be sharing it with you at last. When Zahra first came to me, demanding that her side of the story be told, I was immediately entranced. I think the genie is the most fascinating character of the Aladdin fairytale. But what if the genie were a girl? What if there were more to her story? These questions became my obsession, and Zahra's voice was so strong in my mind that often, while worki ...more
Navessa
"We are adrift on a sea of moonlight sand, the silence as infinite as the space between the stars."

Well, well, well. This is one beautifully written fairy tale retelling.

Imagine the story of Aladdin. Now change the sex of the jinni who serves him, add in some supernatural politics, some courtly intrigue, a handful of badass female warriors, two peoples on the brink of war, and you basically have this book in a nutshell.

Was it perfect? No. I definitely had some issues with it. But now that I've fi
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

BR with the astounding Chelsea and Jen

"This place is haunted by ghosts, and I am one of them."

Told in a beautiful and evocative writing enhanced with sparks of humor, The Forbidden Wish surprised me in the best way possible : indeed albeit being quite romance-focused, it manages to avoid the tropes I hate the most in Fantasy/PNR YA :

☑ There's neither instalove nor love triangle.(*)
☑ The female lead is always syclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Simona Bartolotta
4.5

"All the world is in your shadow."

•By way of introduction, I should inform you that Khoury's Aladdin spoke to my infamously cold heart. I think that, on my infatuation scale, this one reaches a Paul Markov level. Which means I'm crushing on the guy. Very hard. (Though Paul Markov still remains a case on his own and my spiritual connection to him has by now achieved the status of True Love. Time will tell if with Aladdin will happen as much.) So, well, you see how I'll probably won't be
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I SENSE THE BOY the moment he sets foot in the cave.

For the first time in centuries, I stir.

I am smoke in the lamp, and I curl and stretch, shaking off the lethargy of five hundred years. I feel I have half turned to stone. The sound of his footsteps rattles me like a clap of thunder, and I bolt fully awake.

As you can tell from the blurb, this is a retelling of Aladdin. I was afraid I
☆High Lady of The Night Court☆
A roller coaster ride full of adventure, magic, and love.

This was the retelling of Aladdin I didn't know I was waiting for. It is definitely among one of the best retellings I have read. I especially loved the author's writing and her description in the last 4 chapters was enchanting. I could not be more glad that I decided to pick it up, it was great a great story enforced with even better characters.

This is a story about a Jinni who is believed to have betrayed not only her kind b
Clara
** 4.5 "WONDERFUL AND CAPTIVATING" stars **

I actually picked this one quite randomly, and without any high expectations about it, but to my greatest astonishment, this book turned out to be my best surprise of the year so far ! I honestly couldn’t find one thing I didn’t love about it or one reason why I shouldn’t give this book 4.5 stars ! So here it is : 4.5 amazing stars !

The story :
We’re following Zahra, a very old and powerful Jinni who’s been stuck in her lamp for thousands/>
Jasmine
Latest & Final Update: 3/15/2016

**Actual rating: 3.5/5 My-Thief Stars**

Well, this is one of those stories which started with a promising beginning but the plot didn't develop as flawlessly as I hoped. Seriously, the first half of the book along with Aladdin and Zahra's upcoming adventure was very captivating and I was incurably obssessed with it. I was so eager to know what kind of trials they would encounter and how they would work as a team. Above all, I really wanted to see how well Zahra, aka the most/>**Actual
Samantha
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2016
4.5 stars!
Natalie Monroe
"My name," I stammer. "I mean... one of them. You can call me Zahra."

He turns around fully, his grin as wide and bright as the moon. "I'm Aladdin."

Thank God for reviews. Without them, I would have taken one look at the description of earth-shaking love, went nope and clicked away.

Is The Forbidden Wish heavy on romance?

Admittedly, yes.

Very early on in the story, Zahra develops an attraction for Aladdin, the boy, as we all know from the story, who let the genie (called "jinni" here) out of the lamp. This retelling sticksaway.
Is
emi
Buddy read with Elise, Joanna, and Maram, who I'll link when I'm not so lazy.

This was blurbed by Renée Ahdieh. I'd read the dictionary of she told me to. This better surpass all expectations.
maram ☂︎
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Same:

rtc

yes, I'm starting another book even though I haven't managed to finish at least 1 current read since June 5th :)

BR WITH ELISE, EMI AND JOANNA!!!

This book is blurbed by Marissa Meyer, SJM, and Renée Ahdieh 😱😱 so PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE BE GOOD!!!
may ❀
Full review posted:

This is one of those books suffering a STRONG case of its-most-definitely-me-not-you bc it seems that the entire world adored it and im kinda here on the sidelines like. . .
w h y ??? I want to share in the fangirling too ;-;

(s)

Pros
- Middle eastern SETTING, be still my heart
- Aladdin retelling, I mean who can hate Di
Alyssa
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-releases
4.5 stars! Trying to decide if I want to round up or down. I LOVED this book!

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

She is the most powerful Jinni of all. He
Jacqueline
5/5 stars

Video Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Tjx...

This book was one of most anticipated reads of 2016 and it didn't not disappoint. Can't wait to film and post my video review because I have lots to talk about!!
☆☽Erica☾☆
The only evidence that there ever was a garden of wonders, the only testimony to the great city lost beneath the sand, is a single pale coin that lies on the surface, winking at the moon.
And, of course, there is me.

This book is damn near flawless.

I am in love with it. This book was literally so much fun and so much wonderful and so much delightful that I just want to

And, of course, there is me.

This book is damn near flawless.

This is a retelling of Aladdin, with a few twists- including the fact that the jinni of the lamp is a girl named Zahra who has been alive for thousands of years. She is one of the most powerful jinni in existence, with magical powers that see no bounds, except for her lifetime imprisonment to the constantly changing masters of her lamp.

Zahra herself is a wise and beautiful woman who has made the ultimate sin of the jinni once before: loving a human. So when she is freed from her lamp after a long and painful exile (think 500 years) by a young thief named Aladdin, she faces the human world with a newfound caution. Aladdin has followed the whisperings of a magic ring to find her, and seemingly is the only one who can hear its power. They set out together to fight unrest in Aladdin's kingdom, Zahra granting two wishes in their early time together. The story develops beautifully from there, and ceases to exist just in their own two realities. Their reach is expansive and explosive.

From the first page of this story, I was absolutely hooked. I knew what was happening and was easily taken along this wonderful ride. There were no extended lags in the action or confusion on my part. The story was crisp, clear, and lovely.

Aladdin, our male mc, is a jovial thief from the underworld of this monarchical society. He steals and forages for his next meal and for the possessions he desires. His parents were killed by a devious member of the monarchy for being rebels, so he is fighting with his own inner demons regarding that. His personality though is just glorious. He is smart, quick, charming, and altogether a charismatic person.

Another incredible part of the story is how much is blows the Bechdel Test out of the water. There's a whole band of powerful warrior women called the Watchmaidens that is comprised of various princesses, including/ led by the future queen of the land. Like wow. I was worried at first, thinking the author may pit the women against Zahra and against each other eventually. But how pointless my worries were. This story contains an interminable amount of girl power and women working together to literally defeat the patriarchy. All the girls in this group also have their own unique weapons, which just made everything even more tremendous.

Caspida, the leader of the group is just an absolutely spectacular character. She is truly the embodiment of a queen. And instead of being a huge douche, Aladdin is a powerful ally to their cause! Just when the world hasn't shook under me enough, he goes and crumbles it. (The mean guy is speaking to Aladdin in the beginning of this quote, Aladdin responds.)

"If Parthenia is going to become the power it once was, we need a strong leader. Someone the people look up to. Someone they've inspired and respected for years. Not some weak prince from some far-off kingdom nobody has even heard of. These people will never follow you."

"I don't need anyone to follow me. They will follow
her."

Women writers nowadays are absolutely killing this book-writing game. Goodness gracious.

An additional thought: my family and I went to Disney World a fair few times when I was growing up. (Bear with me here, I'll get to the point in a second.) In one of the parks, Epcot, they have a "world showcase" where they create sections of the park devoted and designed to look like various countries. One of which was Morocco. Since I was very little, I was positively entranced by it. The sights, the colors, the sounds, the earthiness of it all. Every time we would come back, it was always the county I looked forward to most. Growing older, my love of that created world still hypnotized me. When I reached college and began studying Women's Studies and Anthropology, my interests now more informed about the world and cultures, I hoped to one day go there. I found a volunteer program that works with Women's Empowerment in Rabat, Morocco and I sought and still seek to go with that group. I've been saving, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm saying all this because this story's setting reminds me of Morocco. So, in a few less words, I also loved the setting. And listened to the Aladdin soundtrack while I was getting ready this morning. :D

To say the least, I loved this. READ IT!

Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
"Give me thy hand," said the Queen, "and let us be friends. For does not the poet say, one true-hearted friend is worth ten thousand camels laden with gold?"

This the Jinni pondered, before replying, "The poet also says, woe to the man who befriends the jinn, for he shakes hands with death."
3.5 STARS

The Forbidden Wish was actually not a bad story at all. I was a little worried that this retelling would butcher my love for Aladdin but while it didn't disappoint, it didn't impr
Maureen
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be more like a 4.5 but MAN OH MAN did I love this book.
ZAHRA MY BBY MY FAVORITE FOREVER. I also really loved the small subtle Aladdin movie references they were so great and AHHHH Aladdin is one of my faves so this book was perfect for my Disney loving heart. WORLD BUILDING GREAT ALL THE THINGS GREAT.
Sometimes there were some things that didn't make sense and sometimes there were pacing issues, but those are really the only things I didn't love about this book.
Μaria Vrisanaki
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5stars
A truly jewel!

Glittering, atmospheric, sweet, romantic, tender
Fool of smoke, sand and magic!

description

“Wish for her love, and I will deliver it to you”

description
“Then it wouldn’t be love”
“And what do you know about love?”
“That it must be a choice”
“Oh, my naïve thief, love is rarely a choice”

-----------------------------------------------

I loved every time when “thief” called Zahra “Smoky”

Alafiya
“I have no form, I have no name. I am the Slave of the Lamp, and your will is my will. Your wishes are my commands.”

The lamp's Jinni can grant your three wishes, here is my first:

description

Yeah, I am talking about Aladdin.

Habibas, this book is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Bubbling and sizzling with lush imagination, with magic laced into every word and roman
Nastassja

Unplanned buddy-read with my fellow Watchmaidens Kristalia and Katerina.

“Like all wishes, the Forbidden Wish comes at a price. My freedom must be bought with a death, a life paid in sacrifice."

Once upon a time in Agrabah lived a boy named Aladdin. He was a homeless thief who survived by stealing food. One day he was caught and brought to a palace where a sinister vizier Jafar made a proposition to him: retreat an old lamp from a dangerous land and Aladdin will live, or decline and he will die. Aladdin agreed and soon he found the lamp. But it turned out/>Once/>

“Like

Elise (TheBookishActress)
“You think some rabble with kitchen knives makes you a queen?”
Caspida glances back at the people, fighting tooth and nail against the better-equipped soldiers. “They're exactly what makes me a queen.”

Well, that was a bit of a surprise. The Forbidden Wish is a romantic Aladdin retelling with added romance, yes, but it's also a story about women and their power in the world. Talk about passing the Bechdel test - this absolutely killed it with badass girl leads.

I'm tired of living for the dead. I wa
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
This is a book I wish I could read for the first time again and again. The writing is addictive, the romance is subtle and smooth, the jinni aspects are captivating, the story is great, and it is a fitting retelling of Aladdin. I didn't expect this one to be as great as it was, and I'm happy to say I've found a book that gives me The Wrath and The Dawn vibes!

I haven't read anything by Jessica Khoury, so I went into this story with n
Laurie –A Court of Books–
“Love is a path lined with roses,” I say bitterly. “But it leads to a cliff’s edge, and all who follow it tumble to their doom.”

«Which Character from The Forbidden Wish are you?» take the quiz right here! I got Zahra, my favorite character of this book!! Tell me who you got in the comment!

This book was close to perfection!

I haven’t planned to read this book yet. I didn’t even heard about it«Which
Lainey
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Video Review: coming soon!

Solid 4/5 star read for me, I really really enjoyed this one! Surprisingly, when I first heard about this book a year ago I wasn't sure if I would like it. Aladdin is my absolute favorite Disney movie and still didn't know if I would like this retelling or not. However, this book was such a surprise I just loved loved this re-imagined take on Aladdin. If you didn't know what this book was about, it tells the story of Aladdin and his jinni, if the jinni was a
Sirens Conference: The Forbidden Wish 1 16 Jul 14, 2017 01:52PM

• Gilded Ashes
  • Tear You Apart (Beau Rivage, #2)
  • Shadows on the Moon (The Moonlit Lands, #1)
  • Never Ever (Never Ever, #1)
  • Princess of Thorns
  • Thorne (The Chronicles of Kaya, #2)
  • The Beast (The Hunter Legends, #1)
  • Dark Shimmer
  • A Wicked Thing (A Wicked Thing, #1)
  • Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)
  • Prince of Shadows
  • The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Unhooked
  • Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)
  • Valiant
  • Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle, #1)
  • Uniquely Unwelcome (The Shadow World, #1)
Jessica Khoury wrote her first book at age 4, a fan fic sequel to Syd Hoff's Danny and the Dinosaur, which she scribbled on notebook paper, stapled together, and placed on the bookshelf of her preschool classroom. Since that day, she's dreamed of being an author.

When not writing, Jess enjoys spending time with family, playing video games, and oil and watercolor painting. She is also a profe
“And what do you know of love?"
"That it must be a choice."
"Oh, my naive thief. " I pause briefly to meet his gaze. "Love is rarely a choice.”
136 likes