Start by marking “Plastic” as Want to Read:
Plastic

Plastic

Dr. Harry Previn, the renowned Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, is secretly called in to operate on the disfigured face of the ravishingly beautiful teen pop star Fay Wray following an assault. Surrounded by image makers who value beauty over all else, he soon fears Fay is in mortal danger. Will he risk everything to save her beauty, her life, or himself?
Plastic is a novel o
Published June 11th 2019 by Rare Bird

To ask other readers questions about Plastic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plastic

Start your review of Plastic
Felicia
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Here's what the book should have focused on:

A prominent plastic surgeon is blackmailed into keeping his silence while helping a beautiful pop star that has been brutally assaulted with a wine bottle to her perfect face.

“It’s a rare man who can heal a woman with a knife.”

She and her handlers are at a loss as to what is going to become of her career and are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to keep the cash flowing.

Cool premise, huh?

Here's what the book actually focused on:
The surgeons career
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Jan)
When the plastic surgeon won't let the patient look in the mirror, you know there is a problem!

The creepy cover is what initially caught my attention. I knew I wanted to know more. It reads like a Hollywood drama and seemed like it could be a story on the nightly news.  I wondered how I would react to several of the situations that were less than ethical. How far someone will go to achieve beauty/perfection. Beauty is the end all in their world of being camera ready at all times.

I was curiou
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, such a creepy thriller! It rivals its cover for creep factor!

Dr. Harry Previn is a top-named Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, and along with that titles comes top secret surgeries. His most recent is Fay Wray, a teen pop star who has been assaulted.

Even though the assault is behind her, Harry is worried Fay is still in danger. He has choices to make over next steps: saving her beauty, saving her life, or possibly saving his own.

Plastic is full of drama and the Beverly Hills scene comes to l
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour
The moment I saw the cover of Frank Strausser’s novel Plastic, I wanted to read it. The cover has that sort of campy satire vibe, but the book itself is a bit more serious. Dealing with themes of fame, beauty, and aging with a contemporary twist and a touch of irony, this was a commentary on The Scene prevalent in society and particularly in cities like LA, with a fun and engaging plotline and a leading duo that I really enjoyed.

Going in, you’d think the two main characters would be unlikable. A
Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine)
You can read this and all of my reviews at Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine.

When I first noticed Plastic being posted on Instagram a couple of months ago, I knew I had to read it. I was absolutely thrilled when Suzy of Suzy Approved Book Tours asked me if I wanted to participate in the blog tour.

I was drawn to this book, as I suspect many readers will be, because of my interest in society’s obsession with plastic surgery and the real or perceived need for Hollywood’s elite to maintain a certain level of youth
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
In this day and time it seems almost everyone is obsessed with Plastic surgery. So this book is going to be one sought after book. Strausser did not disappoint, all my thriller fans will find this book to be one of the books on their to be read pile.
I will say it is a fast read notvery long at all, but full of fun.
I gave this book 4 stars and I can't for to see what is next from Strausser.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and a
Susan
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cover-art, abandoned
Who Are You?

With more personalities than Sybil, this book didn’t seem to know what it wanted to be.

I thought I was on the Mystery/Thriller train based on the premise. However the book focused on the doctor’s failed marriage, his and his wife's separate artistic pursuits, and the shallowness of Hollywood. Not to mention that he was without emotional depth himself.

I was put off by the doctor's attitude toward his patients and especially when one takes an unfortunate turn. His character was written
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
Would you ever get plastic surgery? Or have you!?⁣⁣
⁣⁣
I actually have! Not for the reason you'd think - I ended up slicing my eyelid open when I was 14 during a freak accident in a grocery store. True story - I swear. So I needed my eyelid fixed by a surgeon. I'd like to say I wouldn't voluntarily - but I love having the option if I decide I need a little nip or tuck one day!⁣⁣
⁣⁣
How about this cover? All the feels and uncomfortable vibes, but WOWSA is this a story that will have you turning pages
Nursebookie
Story begins with Dr. Harry Previn a well renowned plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills. While he spends his days making other people look beautiful, his own life starts to unravel. His personal life is in disarray when his wife ‘Hellie’ decides to divorce him, after multiple rounds of fertility treatment, miscarriages and an unfulfilled marriage. His professional life is also at risk after the mother of a famous actor’s mother dies after surgery.

What a thrilling and exciting ride this book was for
Berit☀️✨
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Whoever said beauty is only skin deep needs to read this book! Part thriller, part Hollywood drama. Vapid characters, tense situations, and questionable actions. Frank Strausser is a screenwriter and that really came through in the story, I think it would play out very well on the big or little screen. And these characters while unlikable will probably be a lot of fun to play if you were an actor/actress. Entitled, shallow, and completely unself-aware. Fast paced with a storyline that I got com ...more
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
I saw this book, and read the synopsis and really thought this sounded like a story I'd love. This book started out pretty good!! It deals with the issues of beauty in our society. The lengths people will go to preserve their looks, especially those involved with Hollywood! I found this book intriguing, and totally think it would make an excellent TV series no doubt! I felt the book strayed from the main plot a little too much, but I thought this was a quick read with Interesting characters. I f ...more
Toya (the reading chemist)
When I first saw the cover of Plastic , I was immediately captivated as well as creeped out. It's so incredibly jarring and reminds me of something out of a slasher film.

This book was definitely a wild ride into the privileged lifestyles of the rich and famous. Dr. Harry Previn is the epitome of vain. As a plastic surgeon, he thinks of himself as an incredible artist because the human body is his canvas that he sculpts with his hands. When he describes how pliable skin is once his patient is u
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️ / 5

Plastic by Frank Strausser was such a disappointment for me. I saw a lot of reviews compare this book to Nip/Tuck but I got about 49 pages in and had to DNF it. It was just so disjointed and I didn't think it stayed on track like it should have. I didn't have any interest in what was happening since it was so hard to follow. Hopefully it will work better for others! I had really hoped for an awesome book.
Gabriela Teixeira
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're the kind of reader who likes a conspiracy theory, you'll love this book.
Plastic is a very well-written thriller about a plastic surgeon who finds himself immersed on a conspiracy to cover up for a crime.
Frank Strausser did a pretty good job in describing how sometimes undesirable things happen around us that feels out of control and how we can suddenly be caught up on situations we never thought we would.
I also liked how the characters change over the course of the story, realizing ho
Linda (My Reading Chronicles)
I thought this book was a fun and quick read but also a bit terrifying. It begins with Dr. Previn losing a patient due to stress/personal issues causing him to be careless. You think it couldn’t get worse than that for him, but OH, IT DOES!! Soon, he’s involved in a cover-up and he’s forced to make some difficult choices. I thought the characters were realistic and intriguing. It was like watching a show of Grey’s Anatomy and you scream at the characters to just stop because they will regret it. ...more
Stephanie
Nov 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
1.5* review to come

Blog | YouTube | Instagram

The fact that this book somehow combined plastic surgery with a mystery really intrigued me. And for the entire book, I was so invested and curious with who was behind the attack and why Fay was in mortal danger.

I thought the author did a fantastic job with the suspense and mystery element. I honestly never saw the ending and figured out the culprit! The one downside to the suspense/mystery element was the fact that it was incredibly slow. This book
Leigh Osborne
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What starts off as a marriage in trouble - leads to a thrilling conspiracy about celebrity, beauty, and art. This book reads like a play so no surprise the author is actually a seasoned playwright. Fay Wray (love the name) is a victim of a horrible crime that takes her plastic Surgeon on a wild and dark Hollywood ride. The dialogue is rich and the pacing is really solid. I read this in one sitting and have already recommended it to my friends looking for a fun summer read.
Cayton James
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just getting started here on GRs.

While on vacation in LA, I saw this new title in a bookstore and snapped it up with a bunch of other thrillers. I didn't know much about it, but the cover caught my eye. It was a solid read and became very popular with the "LA folks" sitting around me at beach who were all interested in a story set in their town. So I guess if you live in LA - you will want to check this out!
BookDragons
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
April
Oct 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Thank you GetRed PR for my free copy in exchange for my honest review.

Unfortunately this book did not work for me. I was very intrigued by this one after reading the synopsis, but I just couldn't get into the story and put it down. It felt very choppy to me and took awhile to get into the story. I didn't like the characters, which also didn't help, so I have put it down and will not finish. I have head of many people really liking this one and still would say to check it out for yourself because
Reading Mama
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Plastic has a very interesting synopsis and the cover is super creepy (as you can tell). I was definitely intrigued to read this, and I was excited when I got the opportunity to read it. The story started off strong; there were many events taking place that were the set up for a potentially great story. Dr. Previn and his wife go through a split, plastic surgeon, wealthy family, superstars, accidental death... so many good things, right?! Somewhere along the line, this story started unraveling a ...more
Nicole reading_with_nicole
Dr. Harry Pervin is successful plastic surgeon, he is married to Helen and as we see they have a lot of martial issues. Helen has had miscarriages and fertility problems; all the stress has caused her to gain weight and not feel comfortable in her own body. Even though married to a plastic surgeon she has never had any touch ups of her own, she is naturally beautiful. With all the stress their marriage has been under Helen decides it’s time for them to divorce. After receiving divorce papers fro ...more
Jamele (BookswithJams)
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: partner
This was an entertaining read. I was fascinated to read the behind the scenes stuff that goes on with these guys, because I’m guessing this was not too far off from reality. It was believable how extreme people will go to look young, and also how everything hinges on one’s reputation as a plastic surgeon. Harry is one of the best, but he is going through a lot lately in his personal life, and perhaps it has all caught up with him and he put someone under the knife that couldn’t handle it? That t ...more
Linda Zagon
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
WOW! Frank Strausser, Author of "Plastic" has written a captivating, intriguing, intense, thrilling, suspenseful,page-turning, and thought-provoking novel.  The Genres for this novel are Psychological Suspense, Psychological Thriller, Mystery and Fiction. The timeline for this story is in the present and goes to the past only if it pertains to the events or characters. The location of the story is Beverly Hills and Hollywood. The author describes his dramatic characters as complex, and complicat ...more
Cindy Roesel
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Happy Halloween. Check out this creepy cover. It's perfectly chilling to highlight a novel about our obsession with beauty. Frank Strausser's, PLASTIC (RareBirdBooks) will have you flipping pages until the very end.

When a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon is called in after a beautiful pop star is brutally assaulted, he thinks his job is to restore her looks, but soon fears he’s there to surgically erase all trace of the crime.

Plastic is a novel of psychological suspense about some desperate Holl
wellreadtraveler
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Scary cover right? Plastic is about a well known and highly respected plastic surgeon to the stars. Anyone who is anyone wants Dr.Harry Previn to make them look young and beautiful. When a long surgery with multiple procedures goes wrong, Harry must make a deal with the devil to keep his good name untarnished. No good deed goes unpunished and unfortunately Harry is indebted to a man he thought his friend. One night Harry is called to his office after hours to perform emergency surgery on a young ...more
James Sliman
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just recently read "Plastic" by Frank Strausser and loved this book. He brings together the worlds of Hollywood celebrities, rock stars, the art world and behind the scenes crime & intrigue.....along with the obsession of staying young and beautiful through plastic surgery.

I enjoyed the way the main character, plastic surgeon Dr. Harold Previn, seemed to get dragged into all this, while trying to somehow maintain a level of ethics. Not always an easy thing to do.

Having worked in entertainment
Crystal Zavala
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: get-red-pr
Dr. Harry Previn is a well-known plastic surgeon in Hollywood. After a patient dies during recovery, Dr. Previn is black-mailed into performing a secret surgery on pop-star, Fay Wray, who has been assaulted.

Plastic is full of characters that I could not stand - Dr. Previn, Dr. Previn's wife, his attorney, an art dealer, a talent manager, celebrities, etc. These are the type of characters that I absolutely love to hate. The book is full of ridiculous twists and turns. It pokes fun at some popula
Phillip Chapman
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting insight into the life of a plastic surgeon

Good read! Good contrast between Fay and Helen's experience. As a nurse I really liked this book. And Harry came through in the end!
Pamela Crawford-Lidlow
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was great once I started reading I could not put down received book as an arc

• Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Imaginary Friend
  • A Day in June
  • The Deep Blue Alibi
  • American Dirt
  • In Five Years
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • The Other Mrs.
  • The Family Upstairs
  • It Would Be Night in Caracas
  • The Other People
#1 BESTSELLER

FRANK STRAUSSER is a playwright and novelist. His first novel, "PLASTIC" become an Amazon #1 Bestseller and his second novel, "Who Loves The Son" is set to launch in Spring 2021. His plays include Psycho Therapy, The Powder Room, The Split, Valentine Triage, and Wishing Well. He studied story and character development with Robert McKee and with the late Milton Katselias, at the Beverl