Start by marking “Plastic” as Want to Read:
Plastic

Plastic

Dr. Harry Previn, the renowned Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, is secretly called in to operate on the disfigured face of the ravishingly beautiful teen pop star Fay Wray following an assault. Surrounded by image makers who value beauty over all else, he soon fears Fay is in mortal danger. Will he risk everything to save her beauty, her life, or himself?
Plastic is a n
Published June 11th 2019 by Rare Bird

To ask other readers questions about Plastic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plastic

Start your review of Plastic
Felicia
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Here's what the book should have focused on:

A prominent plastic surgeon is blackmailed into keeping his silence while helping a beautiful pop star that has been brutally assaulted with a wine bottle to her perfect face.

“It’s a rare man who can heal a woman with a knife.”

She and her handlers are at a loss as to what is going to become of her career and are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to keep the cash flowing.

Cool premise, huh?

Holly  B
Oct 30, 2019 added it
Shelves: read-in-2019
When the plastic surgeon won't let the patient look in the mirror, you know there is a problem!

The creepy cover is what initially caught my attention. I knew I wanted to know more. It reads like a Hollywood drama and seemed like it could be a story on the nightly news.  I wondered how I would react to several of the situations that were less than ethical. How far someone will go to achieve beauty/perfection. Beauty is the end all in their world of being camera ready at all times.

I was curious to see how the plastic surgeoachieve  Beauty
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, such a creepy thriller! It rivals its cover for creep factor!

Dr. Harry Previn is a top-named Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, and along with that titles comes top secret surgeries. His most recent is Fay Wray, a teen pop star who has been assaulted.

Even though the assault is behind her, Harry is worried Fay is still in danger. He has choices to make over next steps: saving her beauty, saving her life, or possibly saving his own.

Plastic is full of drama and the Beverly Hills scene comes to l
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour
The moment I saw the cover of Frank Strausser’s novel Plastic, I wanted to read it. The cover has that sort of campy satire vibe, but the book itself is a bit more serious. Dealing with themes of fame, beauty, and aging with a contemporary twist and a touch of irony, this was a commentary on The Scene prevalent in society and particularly in cities like LA, with a fun and engaging plotline and a leading duo that I really enjoyed.

Going in, you’d think the two main characters would be
Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine)
You can read this and all of my reviews at Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine.

When I first noticed Plastic being posted on Instagram a couple of months ago, I knew I had to read it. I was absolutely thrilled when Suzy of Suzy Approved Book Tours asked me if I wanted to participate in the blog tour.

I was drawn to this book, as I suspect many readers will be, because of my interest in society’s obsession with plastic surgery and the real or perceived need for Hollywood’s elite to maintain a certain level of youth and/or beauty t
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
In this day and time it seems almost everyone is obsessed with Plastic surgery. So this book is going to be one sought after book. Strausser did not disappoint, all my thriller fans will find this book to be one of the books on their to be read pile.
I will say it is a fast read notvery long at all, but full of fun.
I gave this book 4 stars and I can't for to see what is next from Strausser.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
I saw this book, and read the synopsis and really thought this sounded like a story I'd love. This book started out pretty good!! It deals with the issues of beauty in our society. The lengths people will go to preserve their looks, especially those involved with Hollywood! I found this book intriguing, and totally think it would make an excellent TV series no doubt! I felt the book strayed from the main plot a little too much, but I thought this was a quick read with Interesting characters. I f ...more
Susan
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cover-art
Who Are You?

With more personalities than Sybil, this book didn’t seem to know what it wanted to be.

I thought I was on the ‘Mystery/Thriller’ bus based on the premise. However much of the book focused on the doctor’s failed marriage, his wife and her artistic pursuits, and the shallowness of Hollywood.

I was also put off by the doctor's attitude toward his patients and especially when one takes an unfortunate turn. His character was written with sympathy but I felt anythin
Gabriela Teixeira
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're the kind of reader who likes a conspiracy theory, you'll love this book.
Plastic is a very well-written thriller about a plastic surgeon who finds himself immersed on a conspiracy to cover up for a crime.
Frank Strausser did a pretty good job in describing how sometimes undesirable things happen around us that feels out of control and how we can suddenly be caught up on situations we never thought we would.
I also liked how the characters change over the course of the story,
Linda (My Reading Chronicles)
I thought this book was a fun and quick read but also a bit terrifying. It begins with Dr. Previn losing a patient due to stress/personal issues causing him to be careless. You think it couldn’t get worse than that for him, but OH, IT DOES!! Soon, he’s involved in a cover-up and he’s forced to make some difficult choices. I thought the characters were realistic and intriguing. It was like watching a show of Grey’s Anatomy and you scream at the characters to just stop because they will regret it. ...more
Reading Mama
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Plastic has a very interesting synopsis and the cover is super creepy (as you can tell). I was definitely intrigued to read this, and I was excited when I got the opportunity to read it. The story started off strong; there were many events taking place that were the set up for a potentially great story. Dr. Previn and his wife go through a split, plastic surgeon, wealthy family, superstars, accidental death... so many good things, right?! Somewhere along the line, this story started unraveling a ...more
April Greissinger
Oct 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Thank you GetRed PR for my free copy in exchange for my honest review.

Unfortunately this book did not work for me. I was very intrigued by this one after reading the synopsis, but I just couldn't get into the story and put it down. It felt very choppy to me and took awhile to get into the story. I didn't like the characters, which also didn't help, so I have put it down and will not finish. I have head of many people really liking this one and still would say to check it out for your
Leigh Osborne
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What starts off as a marriage in trouble - leads to a thrilling conspiracy about celebrity, beauty, and art. This book reads like a play so no surprise the author is actually a seasoned playwright. Fay Wray (love the name) is a victim of a horrible crime that takes her plastic Surgeon on a wild and dark Hollywood ride. The dialogue is rich and the pacing is really solid. I read this in one sitting and have already recommended it to my friends looking for a fun summer read.
Cayton James
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just getting started here on GRs.

While on vacation in LA, I saw this new title in a bookstore and snapped it up with a bunch of other thrillers. I didn't know much about it, but the cover caught my eye. It was a solid read and became very popular with the "LA folks" sitting around me at beach who were all interested in a story set in their town. So I guess if you live in LA - you will want to check this out!
Ann-Marie
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page Six Perfection

I loved Plastic. Loved. Nothing better than an insider dishing about Hollywood. This is Jackie Collins meets James Patterson. It's explosive.
Suzy Michael
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my fair and honest review.*

The psychological thriller/mystery genres are so over- saturated with authors capitalizing on the same worn out trope. I still love the genres and read them still, in hope that someone will buck the trend. With his novel 'Plastic', Frank Strausser finally gave me what I was looking for- a unique, creative story woven from the usual unoriginalality.
The story takes place in modern day Ho
Jamele (BookswithJams)
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: partner
This was an entertaining read. I was fascinated to read the behind the scenes stuff that goes on with these guys, because I’m guessing this was not too far off from reality. It was believable how extreme people will go to look young, and also how everything hinges on one’s reputation as a plastic surgeon. Harry is one of the best, but he is going through a lot lately in his personal life, and perhaps it has all caught up with him and he put someone under the knife that couldn’t handle it? That t ...more
Linda Zagon
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
WOW! Frank Strausser, Author of "Plastic" has written a captivating, intriguing, intense, thrilling, suspenseful,page-turning, and thought-provoking novel.  The Genres for this novel are Psychological Suspense, Psychological Thriller, Mystery and Fiction. The timeline for this story is in the present and goes to the past only if it pertains to the events or characters. The location of the story is Beverly Hills and Hollywood. The author describes his dramatic characters as complex, and complicat ...more
Anne Marie
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you @susyapprovedbooktours, @frankstausser and @rarebirdlit for including me in this book tour. It was a pleasure to read.

Review:

Pʅαʂƚιƈ Bყ Fɾαɳƙ Sƚαυʂʂҽɾ

This book caught me by surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed it from the beginning to the end. I do have to admit that the cover kind of throws you. You’re not really sure what you’re getting into until you start reading it.

William is a famous Hollywood plastic surgeon. He has a couple events in hi
Tangled in Text
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
It started off on a big of an awkward foot. I was expecting it to start off with a crash and turmoil, but instead it started off with a matrimonial tension. I wasn't sure for a while what this had to do with the story line till it finally got to the main topic. It was a little pet peeve of mine that not only do we have to learn a long character list, but they are sporadically referred to by solely their first names and other times their last names so that doubles the character list I'm trying to ...more
Cindy Roesel
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Happy Halloween. Check out this creepy cover. It's perfectly chilling to highlight a novel about our obsession with beauty. Frank Strausser's, PLASTIC (RareBirdBooks) will have you flipping pages until the very end.

When a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon is called in after a beautiful pop star is brutally assaulted, he thinks his job is to restore her looks, but soon fears he’s there to surgically erase all trace of the crime.

Plastic is a novel of psychological suspense a
Nicole reading_with_nicole
Dr. Harry Pervin is successful plastic surgeon, he is married to Helen and as we see they have a lot of martial issues. Helen has had miscarriages and fertility problems; all the stress has caused her to gain weight and not feel comfortable in her own body. Even though married to a plastic surgeon she has never had any touch ups of her own, she is naturally beautiful. With all the stress their marriage has been under Helen decides it’s time for them to divorce. After receiving divorce papers fro ...more
wellreadtraveler
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Scary cover right? Plastic is about a well known and highly respected plastic surgeon to the stars. Anyone who is anyone wants Dr.Harry Previn to make them look young and beautiful. When a long surgery with multiple procedures goes wrong, Harry must make a deal with the devil to keep his good name untarnished. No good deed goes unpunished and unfortunately Harry is indebted to a man he thought his friend. One night Harry is called to his office after hours to perform emergency surgery on a young ...more
James Sliman
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just recently read "Plastic" by Frank Strausser and loved this book. He brings together the worlds of Hollywood celebrities, rock stars, the art world and behind the scenes crime & intrigue.....along with the obsession of staying young and beautiful through plastic surgery.

I enjoyed the way the main character, plastic surgeon Dr. Harold Previn, seemed to get dragged into all this, while trying to somehow maintain a level of ethics. Not always an easy thing to do.

Hav
Patrycja
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
We are living in the society obsessed with beauty and plastic surgery. If you live in Hollywood it became a norm to visit surgeon. Because "if you are not beautiful, you are dead". Dr. Harry Previn is one of the best surgeons on the West coast.
Till one day a patient dies few days after surgery. Harry feels loss and maybe it was not his fault, but the guild is eating him up. And then the boss suggests that Harry has to right things up. Because there is an angry son of the
deceased woman. A
Paula Ackley
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
The blurb on the Goodreads giveaway page made Plastic seem more intriguing than it actually was. The book is about Hollywood and the beautiful people who want to look young forever. Beauty comes with a price and the more beautiful you are the more marketable you are. But what happens when you are no longer beautiful? All the characters in Plastic are self centered and not at all likable. The side stories running throughout the book were distractions from the central story. These disjointed stori ...more
Aimee
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I received Plastic as a Goodreads giveaway. I didn't dislike it but I can't say I really liked it either. I didn't find myself caring for any of the characters, not even Fay, because they were all so self involved and self serving. This book made Hollywood sound like the center of hell, where no one is good enough, no one cares about anyone but themselves and you can get away with anything if you're attractive and famous. It definitely took the glamour out of Hollywood!
Carly Dillon
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting premise and a fun read if you live in LA like I do. I think my favorite part of the book was the setting and recognizing so many of the places. The story with the doctor and his wife, and the young starlet was fun and when there was action/suspense...it was pretty good. I think I just got a little annoyed at all the self reflection of the doctor there are the end...was hoping for more plot.
Phillip Chapman
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting insight into the life of a plastic surgeon

Good read! Good contrast between Fay and Helen's experience. As a nurse I really liked this book. And Harry came through in the end!
Tara Taghizadeh
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
PLASTIC was a great/ easy read. I was drawn into the characters and their relationships from the very beginning and was excited to see what comes next. Can't wait for the sequel!
BESTSELLER - Amazon Top 3 in Medical Thrillers and Satire.

Frank Strausser came of age as a playwright, producer, and novelist while living in "The Capital of Good Looks." His plays have been produced in LA, Edinburgh, London's West End, and Off Broadway, most notably a three month run of Psycho Therapy at the historic Cherry Lane Theatre. PLASTIC is his first novel. He studied story an
“She tenderly put her fingers to his lips. “Shhh. I wouldn’t have married you if I thought you were perfect. When we do our art, we look for distinguishing characteristics because perfect isn’t interesting. Why can’t you focus on that in your practice?”

“What?”

“You’re an artist, Harry. Be artful. Rediscover imperfection. That’s where the beauty is. That’s where it always is.”
0 likes