Start by marking “Chula” as Want to Read:
Chula

Chula

Published March 21st 2019 by Amanda Alcantara

To ask other readers questions about Chula, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chula

Start your review of Chula
Vera Perez
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
It is an interesting experience to review a book from an author that comes from your same province, that in essence has your same background being our neighborhoods kind of close together, it also makes you more critical somehow. This is where I have to be honest and expose myself as a bad Dominican, and with this I mean that there's a lot of stuff that I've never identified with when it comes to my culture.

We have so many customs and colorful folklore. There's the stuff I adore, like Merengue,
Gisela
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has a unique rhythm to it, flowing in and out of the past and hopes for the future from Amanda as she grows up across oceans and continents. Reading about her journey was so affirming as I ask these same questions about where I belong, and perhaps the space in between here and there can be as vibrant and infinite as any place itself. I really loved this book!
Debbie
I enjoyed Chula and Alcantara's honest writing (might be a little raunchy for some folks). Being a Dominican-American woman myself, I felt some of her poetry was written directly for me lol. Here's one of my favorite verses:

Soy de la isla
Quisqueya la bella
Brown y Negra
I am the truth.

It brings me great joy so many Dominican-American writers are making their debut! Though I enjoy diverse writers and stories, of course, I gravitate towards authors with my same experiences, vocabulary, and culture.
Zeline
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read Chula and also met Amanda Alcantara as part of the Mami Chula Social Club. I have to be honest and say it was the best decision I have made. It's a perfect read for Dominican/Latinx readers and the book beautifully explains our struggles assimilating to U.S cultures.

To my Dominicanas out there it will for sure take you on a ride back to your own experiences as a woman in the DR and in the U.S Chula was also my 1st reads by a Dominican-American writer and it has without a doubt encouraged
Julie
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book. The flow from Spanish to English and back again, seeing a layer into the author's life, I feel honored to be able to experience it. Thank you, Amanda, for sharing this part of yourself.
Linda Isabel
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book, which perfectly reflects the life of a bicultural kid, like myself. By calling herself Chula, the protagonist shows us that loving yourself is just as valid as loving someone else.
Briana Batista
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is beyond words. I have never related to a book more in my life than this one. Finding a Dominican author is quite hard. And Alcantara’s writing style is unique and intriguing it really draws you in. Please support this wonderful woman and her book you won’t regret it !!
Carolina Hidalgo
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much! The poetry and realism in the book is amazing. I related do much to her experience because it was similar to mine. I also loved that she used both English and Spanish to share her story. I would recommend this book 100%
Lorraine Avila
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read Chula in one sitting, and I felt seen by the constant swing of language. Alcantara guides us through the epochs of her life in a way that proves to be compassionate and raw for both reader and narrator; it was refreshing to see joy and trauma being equally treated on the page.
Aida
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book of poetry!
Ilana Garcia
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a breath of a fresh air, and a book that will leave you happy knowing you picked it up.
Yahaira Garcia
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written, self-exploratory, coming of age collection of short stories and poems. Amanda Alcantára gave us permission to live her life between two worlds through her words.
Glendalee
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I’m digging these Dominican/Latinx writers that I have been reading lately, because they have opened my eyes to the beauty of just embracing who you are and your culture and the dualism that come with being a Dominican American.

This book was not what I was expecting, because first this writer has bars...I was like whatttt. I have been reading a lot of poetry by many different writers so I was expecting this to be similar but it was very different in that it didn’t really follow the format that
Lilliana T
Natasha
Sep 17, 2019
Guadalupe
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so beautifully and intentionally written. It touches on themes of identity.It captures the painful and joyful journey of healing.
Gabby Nelson

• American Gods: My Ainsel #2
  • Corazón
  • Look Both Ways
  • Deer Woman: A Vignette
  • Buttermilk Graffiti: A Chef’s Journey to Discover America’s New Melting-Pot Cuisine
  • She Would Be King
  • Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers, #2)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • 흰
  • Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)
  • Soledad