Start by marking “Spoken” as Want to Read:
Spoken

Spoken

Winner of the 2019 Readers' Favorite International Book Award Bronze Medal, Young Adult-Social Issues

High school freshman Roman Santi has everything -- good looks, great friends, a mansion with an infinity swimming pool -- except the one thing he really wants. A relationship with his father.

When Roman’s life gets turned upside down, (thanks, Mom!?), he is forced to leave
Published March 12th 2019 by Rosehip Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Spoken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spoken

Start your review of Spoken
Trudie
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

I loved this book.It kept my interest right from the beginning and I couldn't put it down!I never heard of The Spoken Club and loved all the different poems in the book.They really expressed the true feelings of the students who wrote and read them.

Lisa
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pop-fiction
Weiss’s debut young adult fiction captures the angst and inner workings of a teenager, Roman Santi, whose life is turned from mansion with a housekeeper in LA to sleeping on grandma’s sofa bed with a statue of the Buddha staring at him. The novel is a lovely, refreshingly sweet and poignant story about a kid not warped by society whose goal is to simply live happily ever after, be a friend, find friends, but also to find the father he’s never known. One of my favorite lines is from Roman’s first ...more
Karen • The Book Return
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book from the author through YA book central.
Read this review and more on my blog.The Book Return Blog

Roman has his life turned upside down when, amidst a scandal, his mom decides to leave LA. Roman must learn to adapt to a new lifestyle and school in the midwest. He must grapple with who he really is and whether he'll ever meet his real father.
Although I had heard some spoken poetry before, I never realized that there was a whole movement behind it. I really was
Michelle
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for YA Books Central

A heartwarming story of finding out who you are.

The Story:
After his mom is involved in a Hollywood scandal, Roman is forced to leave everything he knows behind and move across the country to live with his grandparents. He's a young teenager who just wants to be back with his friends, but soon discovers there's more to life than what he knew. Like a father who doesn't know he exists and talent he never knew he had.

What I liked:
This was a cute story with an easy to re
Narcy
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I was blown away by this ARC I received…WOW! I love the positive message in this book. What a clever way for teens, even grown ups to work through their issues and give them self worth. I loved the support, friendships and first loves Roman acquired throughout the book. Roman is a young teen who is taking control of his life and making changes. Roman's journey of self discovery, growth, fears and accomplishments kept me hooked till the end. This book touches one of the most difficult times in o
John Clark
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's difficult to recognize a blessing in disguise when it happens. Roman Santi is a high school freshman whose mom is a small time actress living with an older movie producer, Kirk, who is as close to a father as Roman has. His real father was a performer on a cruise ship, as was Roman's mother at the same time. Their brief romance led to Roman, but his dad went back to France and the two have never met.
When Mom is caught kissing an actor and photos are splashed all over the tabloids and inter
Katherine
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever read a book that has made you wish that it never ended? Well the book Spoken by Melanie Weiss sure made me feel that way. Told through the eyes of the main character Roman Santi, this young adult fiction book shows how amazing it is to see how much a character can change from the beginning of a book, to the end. The author incorporates poetry throughout the story that helped me learn more about Roman, and how he felt about his stepfather Kirk, and his real father that he hasn't met ...more
Tiffany {Beyond the Stars: Book Blog}
I found Spoken to be a little difficult to get into, but once I was in I was hooked. The story is very easy to relate to, especially for me, as I have been through similar things myself. Not the LA or the moving across the country parts, which are comical by the way, but the broken home aspects.

The main character, who is quite angsty if I do say so myself, was able to find himself through poetry. After moving across the country due to his mothers infidelity, he finds himself uprooted and unsure
Megan BG
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jill Goldstein
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely YA read with enough momentum for the adult reader.
The appearances of local places (I'm a native Oak Parker) were fun nuggets scattered throughout.
The voice of Roman, the 15 yo narrator came through very well without being condesending or trite.
I loved this so much that I am passing it along to a friends son who was recently exposed to Spoken Word and will be attending "North Plaines High School" in a few years!
Bravo Melanie!
Kim P. Gerber
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable story whether you're a young or old adult!
Mary
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kept my attention from the first page to the last
Kristi Sloniger
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a fun YA book with very authentic dialog among the high schoolers. It moved at a fast pace and was engaging in its characters and situations. Anyone from Oak Park will love the references to our community. Very appropriate for middle or high school age with uplifting themes and great support systems modeled for our protagonist Roman. Can't wait to see what is next!
Linda
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of things I liked about Melanie Weiss' book, Spoken. It is different than any other book I've read. It tells the story of a high school freshman, Roman, who lives with his mother in Southern California. His life is turned upside down when his mother's mistake causes them to leave their comfortable life style and move to Chicago. In Chicago, they live with his grandparents where he begins attending a new high school. Roman makes friends, makes the basketball team, and joins the Sp ...more
Rachael Buckley
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Carolyn Armstrong
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Great YA coming of age novel about a high school boy named Roman whose world as he knew it is turned upside down. His mom uproots Roman, moving him from the posh Hollywood home of her current boyfriend to a modest home in a Chicago suburb with her parents, his grandma and grandpa. Roman must start a new life at a new high school and soon discovers a club that performs poetry called Spoken Word.

He learns that he has a lot of feelings about being uprooted and not knowing a thing about his birthfat
the.bookish.mom
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is such a great coming of age novel that really kept my attention and had me turning the page to see how Roman takes his life into controls and really grows in the process. He is faced with some major life changes (like moving halfway across the country without warning, starting a new high school, and making all new friends) He goes from a “woe is me” boy to a young man who finds his voice and self worth. I loved seeing his transformation when he joined the Spoken Word club and how he then ...more
Kylie
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spoken was a very cute coming of age novel. Roman is a high school student living the high life in Los Angeles when his world is turned upside down. Forced to leave the lifestyle he's grown accustomed to along with his friends, Roman and his mother move to Chicago to live with his grandparents. Faced with a new "normal" Roman is introduced to his new schools Spoken Word club, where he meets new friends and learns to accept his new life. This story was short and sweet and a feel good read.

I recei
Rachel Williams
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful

This story was amazing, although brief and a little hard to get into. It was only when I was 30% of the way when I got really invested in the story, but for me that didn't take away from the overall impact of the novel. Roman is a really well written character, and his life and the drama surrounding his mom shaped his narration and perspective into something that I really really enjoyed reading.
Caity
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Roman is a great character and I appreciate how well we see his thoughts about all the changes in his life. The poetry in the book is well done and adds a lot to the story. Overall I really enjoyed the characters and how real they felt. The friendships and family relationships were particularly well done.
Gina Malanga
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and the inclusion of poetry in the chapters however, I agree with some other reviewers that the ending was just too perfect. As someone who works with teenagers I k ow nothing with them is this easy, there are too many emotions and hormones involved! I did love the positive messages in the book about accepting others and learning to be yourself.
Melissa  Brengel
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Easy read.

Easy to read, written through a young 15 year old boy. Makes.you remember what it.was like being a kid again
Seda-Dadada-Daddy
Jul 28, 2020 rated it liked it
3 and a half stars.... an excellent book.
Marianne
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Goodreads for a copy. I thought this book was ok. It didn't grip my attention but it was a fairly fast read since the chapters were so short. Parts were better than others. I like the idea of Spoken Word. The ending felt abrupt.
Emily
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book but got side tracked by another one for a few days. It’s a different high school perspective, that of poetry! And a boy who’s trying to belong in his world.
carinne
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Lightness of Hands
  • Honeymoon Alone
  • Beach Read
  • The Boyfriend Project (The Boyfriend Project, #1)
  • Goodbye, Columbus and Five Short Stories
  • The Chelsea Girls
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • If You Must Know (Potomac Point, #1)
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles #1)
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • Postcards for a Songbird
  • The Herd
  • Emily, Gone
  • The Bright Side of Going Dark
  • The Girl Who Reads on the Métro
  • Out of the Silence: After the Crash
Melanie Weiss is a author of the Young Adult novels Spoken and Crossing Lines. She is a graduate of the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University and worked as a journalist for newspapers and magazines for 20 years. She began writing her novel, Spoken, shortly after her younger child left for college in 2015 and she became an “empty nester.” She currently manages a scholarship foundat ...more