Start by marking “The Chaplain's Daughter (Sons of the Shenandoah Book 2)” as Want to Read:
The Chaplain's Daughter (Sons of the Shenandoah Book 2)

The Chaplain's Daughter (Sons of the Shenandoah Book 2)

A feisty army laundress must disarm a grieving Confederate captain's pride to win his heart.

A minister's daughter abandoned during war must rely on faith to survive. A wounded widower feels God has forsaken him. Will her devout care bring medicine to his soul or rub salt in his wounds?
Ellen White is assigned to attend a debilitated artillery captain after the Battle of S
Published March 25th 2019

Paula Shreckhise
The Chaplain’s Daughter is book two in the series Sons of the Shenandoah by Kathleen L. Maher.

This is a well-written story about two souls caught in the upheaval of the Civil War. Can they trust God to see them through this turbulent time?

Seemingly abandoned in 1862, The Chaplain’s Daughter, Miss Ellen White has to fend for herself. She finds work as a washerwoman at a field hospital in Virginia until she is pressed upon to help with a badly wounded Captain Gideon Sharpe. After his father, Sam
Andrea
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Injury, Reluctance, Healing, and Love

I enjoyed reading this story very much! The detail of daily life, finding strength in forgiveness, and the hope of love, despite feeling unworthy. There is tragedy in war, people are injured an many are killed. This story is wonderfully told without gory details. It takes place mostly away from the battlefield. It is a story of one man's injury ( Gideon), a chance encounter with an acquaintance from his past (Ellen) and healing. Not only from his injuries but
Elaine Cooper
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
War leads to many injuries of the body. It also uncovers other wounds to the souls of men and women, only adding to the sorrow and difficulty that can interfere with healing. In The Chaplain’s Daughter, by author Kathleen L. Maher, these afflictions bring a young laundress, Ellen, into the role of caregiver for Gideon, a seriously wounded army captain. Set in the Civil War, this romance novel reveals the struggle to maintain faith when circumstances challenge one’s belief in a God who cares.

Los
Linda  Marie Finn
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
" This Sweet Story, tugged at my heartstrings, drew me in and bound me with its Cords of Love " My heart and my life feel so full after reading " The Chaplains Daughter, Kathleen L Maher makes you feel like your there in each moment..." As it should be in all great historical fiction... Sigh...
Linda Marie Finn
Faithful Acres Books
Tabitha Bouldin
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Book 2 in Kathleen L. Maher's Sons of the Shenandoah is a true work of heart. I read and loved Book 1: The Abolitionist's Daughter so I knew I would be reading The Chaplain's Daughter. It did not disappoint. Historical Fiction/Romance is a genre that I don't always find myself eagerly anticipating. I actually avoided it for several years. All that changed within the first few pages of this series.

There is such an indescribably potent blend of God, despair, and forgiveness. War is such an ugly th
Joan Arning
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ellen has gone from being the somewhat spoiled, well-dressed daughter of a minister to a washwoman for the Confederate army. You will admire Ellen as she does what is necessary to provide for herself when she ends up homeless even when that includes assisting the doctor in caring for Captain Gideon Sharpe’s wounds. Gideon is not an easy man to care for! His wife has died during the birth of his twin daughters. Now he is injured and cannot get back to them. God works in the lives of many of the c ...more
Betti
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author has done a masterful job of taking us back to the sights and smells of the Revolutionary War. Gideon, a gravely injured captain, is a war hero accused of desertion since he has no recall of his last battle. His anger precludes him from the forgiveness he needs to give in order to accept the love freely given by God and others. Ellen is an army laundress who decides to believe God when He whispers “Trust Me - I've chosen you, child”.
A wonderful story of overcoming war, hurts and death
Li-an
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book at the perfect time of year - Easter. One theme of the story is redemption and it tied in perfectly with this season. Ellen is steadfast in her faith and her work for her country and the Lord. Gideon deals with loss - his wife, his family, his post, and what he feels makes him a man. Can Ellen’s agape love transform his heart and show him that God wants to heal the broken pieces of it? Gideon is angry and seems offended by everyone and everything. A wonderfully written book once ...more
Kailey
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by Kathleen Maher and I really enjoyed it! The details in this story were very accurate. I really liked all of the characters. I really liked the message that came through this book! I know that I will be looking for more books by Kathleen Maher!

I was given a complimentary copy of this ebook from the author, but was not required to write a review. The thoughts and comments are my own.
Anita Rohn
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love and faith

As war tumbles around them and their world falls apart two hearts reach out to find a place of security and family. Well written saga.
Cshell