Start by marking “Heathers the Musical” as Want to Read:
Heathers the Musical

Heathers the Musical

Heathers The Musical is the darkly delicious story of Veronica Sawyer, a brainy, beautiful teenage misfit who hustles her way into the most powerful and ruthless clique at Westerberg High: the Heathers. But before she can get comfortable atop the high school food chain, Veronica falls in love with the dangerously sexy new kid J.D. When Heather Chandler, the Almighty, kicks ...more
Published 2015 by Samuel French

To ask other readers questions about Heathers the Musical, please sign up.

Start your review of Heathers the Musical
Bea
4 stars I guess? RTC.
Erica Scoville
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So glad I was able to get my hands on a copy of the script to my all-time favorite off-Broadway show!!!! Seeing as I am complete musical theatre trash, I of course knew the soundtrack by heart, but it was really fun to be able to read the scenes in between all of the songs to get the full effect of the show.
The Shayne-Train
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This musical is so fucking raunchy, relevant, and kinda touching in a creepy way. I'll be performing in this musical at the end of April 2020 with my theatre fam Some Theatre Company. I get to play one of the fathers that sing the bring-down-the-house song, 'My Dead Gay Son!' And, get this, I get to have my first on-stage kiss. And it's with another schlubby dad! AND that part has been cast with my actual best friend since sixth damn real life grade! We used to kiss in high school to fuck with ...more
Christa
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books, plays
Very fun to see how exactly the songs fit into the musical and the changes that were made compared to the film.
Would love to see this in stage.
Kim Reynolds-Jolles
I am a child of the 80's and love Heathers the movie. My daughter is now in love with the musical, and it is INCREDIBLE! Great job Laurence, paying homage to the original but making such amazing songs. My favorite... I love my dead gay son!
Shane Hurst
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the Original Cast Recording for Heathers over and over and over and over again. It's been a while since I was so captivated by the cleverness and craft of a musical. The lyrics and the music outstrip the book, but the whole is a sardonic look at teenage angst and self-assertion.

The original eighties movie was a masterpiece of dark comedy. It's a trifle dated now, but the musical version reintroduces much of the sting with its in-your-face politically incorrect humor. The team
Nathan Schumer
I really loved this very much!
It's funny, very smartly written.
I think one thing (maybe strange) I've taken away from the lyrics is in a world that's trying to make us grow up faster and faster, be a rebel and be seventeen forever!
Vilma
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw this musical in London in October and LOVED IT SO MUCH. I loved thw characters, the dialogue between them and the language. I'm so happy I was able to purchase this script book outside the theatre. My favorite musical for sure!
Sam Cate
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
One of my favorite musicals :) It was nice to read a physical copy of the script while listening to the Broadway recording
Louise Douglas
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback
I went to see Heathers last year when it was in the west end – mainly because one of my favourite actresses (Carrie Hope Fletcher) was in it, but it turned out to be one of the best musicals I’ve seen – and completely not what I expected.

While I was there, I picked up this script as a memento of what I’d seen, and today I spent a fabulous couple of hours reading through the script while listening to the soundtrack. It brought back all the memories of being in that theatre and watching it live –
Tessa
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I watched the movie before I read this because I would have had problems otherwise.
However, I'm not quite sure how to rate this.

Let's be real: the plot is really fucked up. The characters are unlikeable and I didn't really laugh, even though it's supposed to be a comedy. I listened to the soundtrack while reading the book and, in my opinion, some songs sound unfinished and chaotic.

Still, there are some songs I love, such as 'Candy Store' and 'Dead Girl Walking'. What I also appreciated
Addison :)
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I love watching this play and apparently I love reading the script just as much!!! :D

Side note for anyone who listens to the album: you will find that some of the songs have additional lines (talking-wise) and they also have some altered lyrics.

Tip for anyone who hasn’t heard the album: LISTEN TO IT!!! The album is amazing and all of the capital words are lyrics and it’s fun to be able to sing (or hum) along with it :)
Emma
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The script of my favourite musical. I felt myself singing along and acting out my favourite scenes whilst reading. An excellent story for anyone going through high school, love or just needs some Westerburg spirit.
Imogene
Hmmm,just not quite enough room for the characters to come through.
I know that as a musical they’re choosing songs over other stuff, but it is just too quick for me

Still, it’s pretty brutal, which I loved about the movie, and in the right hands could be amazing.
Lotte
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The musical was better than the script. Does that make sense?
(You can't hear the songs if you've never heard them)
Maddie Grace
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I’m so glad that I got this as a gift for Christmas! The script was so fun to have while watching the actual play on YouTube! Very fun and really weird story! Worth the read!
Benjamin Wambeke
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Listen to it with the soundtrack. Something truly special. One of the best musicals written this millennium for sure
Jade Evans
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heathers The Musical is the darkly delicious story of Veronica Sawyer, a brainy, beautiful teenage misfit who hustles her way into the most powerful and ruthless clique at Westerberg High. But before she can get comfortable atop the high school food chain, Veronica falls in love with the dangerously sexy new kid J.D. When Heather Chandler, the Almighty, kicks her out of the group, Veronica decides to bite the bullet and kiss Heather's aerobicized ass... but J.D. has another plan for that bullet. ...more
Kaion
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play
Undeniably fun, yet also so obviously written by a bunch of dudes.

Like, do we really need a romanticized portrait of another would-be white male school spree-killer (and actual serial killer) did it because the main character dumped him and his mother didn't love him enough?

Is this really where we want to go in 2014 -- after Columbine, Newtown, Virginia Tech, Parkland, Las Vegas, etc? Because in 1988, the film didn't really feel the need to do this.

Props where they're due: the music is sort of
Juliette
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatre
I am a huge fan of the cult classic film Heathers and was pretty skeptical about the musical adaptation. However, I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this show. I finally had the chance to see a college production of Heathers the Musical last night. I think this is an excellent show for colleges/universities/community theatre. Keep in mind that the story closely follows the film, meaning there is strong language, simulated sex, bullying, violence, underage drinking, date rape ...more
Mia-Sadê Finlay
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although a recent discovery in terms of the musical aspect, the cult classic film had indeed been something that I adored - along with my affinity for 80's films - and to find that it had been revamped in another medium that I hold close to my heart, it was a must read.

Without giving any spoilers, Jason Dean happened to be a favourite of mine both in the film and in the musical. Although changes were made in plot and characters (some were merged, lines were swapped etc.) from the silver screen
Joseph
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always been a fan of the film, and loved my cd of the musical's score.... but now having read the book that goes with this score, I've GOT to see a production. I've had opportunities to be in it or see it, and I could kick myself for not going!
Anna Paradis
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woah
Charlotte Devenish
Feb 16, 2019
Sky Gooding
rated it did not like it
Oct 14, 2019