Start by marking “The Unexpected Shelter” as Want to Read:
The Unexpected Shelter

The Unexpected Shelter

She saved the town’s abandoned animals. He saved her.

Abby Tyler welcomes you to the witty, well-meaning busybodies of Applebottom, Missouri, where the community takes its pies -- and its matchmaking -- very seriously.

Savannah Perkins has always loved the animal shelter her father started in memory of her mother. It’s been her life’s work and a peaceful place for her to car
Published May 7th 2019 by Casey Shay Press

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Shelter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpected Shelter

DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

The room went wild with chairs scraping back and people gasping like T-bone done announced he was from Nebraska.

Violet had come over that morning and done her nails and helped with makeup. They had a long day ahead, so they needed armor, Violet had said. Armor by Maybelline.

My Review:

Continuing on with my fangirling of Abby Tyler with another sweet Applebottom tale, this one was a bit more melancholy than the rest due to the rather tragic circumstances the main character of Savan
Badass Bloggettes
Abby Tyler is a new author for me. It is a total joy to get swept up in her world of small-town Applebottom, Missouri. The Unexpected Shelter begins with Luke Southhard coming to Applebottom looking for his father. After his mother died, he decided to search for the man he never knew. His dad, T-Bone is the mayor of the quaint little town. Luke is a shock not only to T-Bone but the town.

Luke’s goal is to be veterinarian. He started working on a degree in Montana and decides to transfer to a l
Jennifer Pierson
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Savannah is doing her utmost to care for the animal shelter named for her mother, but she's struggling, on top of dealing with her father who has dementia & declining. She's bound & determined to save the fur babies, but it's not an easy journey at the moment. Things start to look up when the Mayor's long lost son, Luke, volunteers to help, and he's definitely adding something extra to her life, but, unfortunately, if he stays, he gives up his dream to become a vet. And if he follows his ...more
Amber - TBR Book Blog
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Abby's mission!! As an animal lover, I truly appreciate what she is doing in her little small town. Rescue and animal welfare can be a somewhat thankless job, so I'm glad that this story highlights how amazing these dedicated people are.

This story did hit a little too close to home in that my dad has dementia too. Not to the same scale as Abby's but I know I will be expecting that in the future. Which is sad because who wants to think of their own parents mortality?

Anywho, Luke as an ou
Sharon Kallenberger Marzola
A sweet, feel-good story with a small-town America setting. Abby Tyler does an excellent job depicting the effects of dementia on a family in a hopeful and uplifting way.

This is the first book I read by Abby Tyler but I will check out the other books in the series.

Full review on Badass Bloggettes: https://badassbloggettes.wordpress.co...
Tasha Talks Books Blog
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a cute story which had me laughing so hard, but also took over my heart and emotions. A story of a woman who has way too much on her plate. Enters sexy Luke, vet student who just came in contact with his father for the first time. The town has so many funny and interesting people.

This is the first but definitely won't be my last from this new author to me.
Lindsey Kramer
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was definitely worth the read. I fell and swooned so hard! I was sucked in until the very last line.
Anna Budziak
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Would rate this 3.5 stars. Was lucky to receive an ARC copy of this book but am not letting that influence my rating.

Enjoyable read. The story is about two people who have been battered by life finding shelter in their love for each other and in the animals they care for. Savannah Perkins runs a local animal shelter (Lena's Home for Strays) in Applebottom where she not only looks after abandoned animals but also her father, Boone, who has dementia. Luke Southard has been making his way through l
ButtonsMom2003
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved all of the animals!

Abby Tyler has crafted another sweet romance sure to tug at your heart strings. Why? Because no one can resist puppies and kittens, especially if they are combined with a great love story like The Unexpected Shelter.

Applebottom's mayor, T-Bone, got an unexpected visitor recently – a son that he didn't know existed. Luke wants to get to know his father so he decides to hang around Applebottom for a while even though it means putting veterinary school on hold.

Savannah ru
Lindsay
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth book from Abby Tyler that I have read and she never disappoints! Her books are so sweet and easy to read. Unexpected Shelter is about Savannah who is trying to care for an animal shelter that was named after her mother. But as anyone she is struggling a bit. While taking care of the animals and the shelter she is also taking care of her father who has dementia who is declining. Luke is another main character who volunteers in the shelter and is trying to help out Savannah. Luk ...more
Norma
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Our favorite little town is still home to quirky characters and elderly matchmakers, but now it's going to the dogs...lots and lots of dogs! Savannah is struggling to care for the animal shelter named for her late mother, while dealing with the heartbreaking reality of a father with dementia. When Mayor T-Bone's long lost son, Luke, offers to volunteer, he brings sunshine back into her life. Problem? If he stays, he may have to give up on his dream of being a veterinarian. If he goes, he has to ...more
Aisling Cooper
Reviewed on Behalf of 3 Degrees of Fiction Book Blogs

Savannah built an animal shelter in the name of her late mother but is now struggling to cope with the amount of dogs whilst also looking after her father who has been diagnosed with dementia.

Luke is Mayor T-Bone’s long lost son and has just volunteered to help Savannah at the shelter. The only issues is if he stays he might have to give up his dream of becoming a vet and if he does go then he has to leave Savannah behind.

With the help of th
Frances Hernandez
Christina Oswald
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read! I have fallen in love with Applebottom and it's residents. Savannah already has a lot on her plate. She doesn't have time for herself, let alone a man. Luke comes to Applebottom to meet his dad, T-Bone. While there he decides to volunteer at the local animal shelter. What he doesn't expect is the prettiest woman he's ever seen.
Abby Tyler has a way of writing that will suck you into the story. The Unexpected Shelter is humorous, full of animals with big personalities, and a realne
Linda Dossett
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one is tied for first place in my Applebottom society favorites. The story is fun and sweet, filled with dog fun and mayhem, then there is the life experience of dealing with the growing and overwhelming problem of dementia. All these books are easy reads, this one hits home for those of us who have lost someone to this heartbreaking disease. The romance and HEA are there along with our furry friends. Don’t miss this one.
Christine
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC review For honest review. This is a beautiful story of Savannah who is taking over her parents shelter lena's home for strays and taking care of her father .when one day luke southard comes in to volunteer.
Mary
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

Another cozy romance from Abby Tyler. I have been on the band wagon since JJ Knight. No matter the author name or genre, you can't go wrong with the stories this woman writes. Check her out on FB to learn all her pen names and stories.
Caroline
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Received an ARC of this book. I usually read Julia Kent, Julie Richman, and Kristen Ashley, Deveney Perry. Very much I. The same style, I enjoyed the characters, plot, and the ending. I recommend it highly.
Brit Conde
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It showed that you have to work at relationships and people do have to take care of sick parents. Luke and Savannah find a way to make it work which is amazing. They were made for each other. I'd to go back and see if the mayor finds someone to take him.
Paula Smith
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet read!
Jeanette
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Really cute RomCom with likable characters and a well thought story line. I would have liked more back information about Luke’s bad younger days…this was simply alluded to with no real examples of what he’d done that was so bad.
Joyffree
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
When I opened the pages of The Unexpected Shelter I was literally transported to Applebottom, this was my first visit to the town and I can say with all certainty I will be returning. The characters felt so true to small-town life. From their demeanor and actions to the way they conversed, everything just felt personal, like home.

Savannah runs the town shelter and cares for her father. She is burning the candle at both ends and could use a bit more help. Help arrives and along with him a bit of
Barb
Toni Sprouse
Dynal Roberson
Jenny
Mar 23, 2019
Abby Tyler loves puppy dogs, pie, and small towns (she grew up in one!) Her Applebottom Matchmaker Society books combine the sweet and wholesome style of romance she loves with the funny, sometimes a-little-too-truthful characters she remembers from growing up in a place where everyone knew everybody’s business.