Start by marking “The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs” as Want to Read:

Winner of the 2009 James Beard Book Award for Best Book: Reference and Scholarship

Great cooking goes beyond following a recipe--it's knowing how to season ingredients to coax the greatest possible flavor from them. Drawing on dozens of leading chefs' combined experience in top restaurants across the country, Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg present the definitive guide to
Published September 16th 2008 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Flavor Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flavor Bible

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,171 books — 1,070 voters
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryThe Flavor Bible by Karen PagePeace Is Every Step by Thich Nhat HanhHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
Just Six Books
6 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Erica
Aug 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
I don't understand why so many people like this book. I found it to be both confusing and unnecessary. Anyone with a nose and a set of tastebuds can figure out that asparagus tastes nice with butter or that maple syrup goes with French toast or that LETTUCE works well with BACON, BREAD, and TOMATOES (this is blatantly obvious to anyone who has ever eaten a SALAD). And any person who has encountered horseradish can tell you that its flavor is quite strong (or, as the Flavor Bible calls it, "very ...more
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Let me start off by giving you the bad:
You are going to want this book for your collection so don't bother with borrowing it from the library.
The library wants their copies back-I know! The nerve!
This is not really a book for beginner's. It doesn't tell you step by step what to do with food.

The Good:
It does tell you flavors and tastes that pair with other tastes and I likey that.
If you have a bunch of asparagus about to go bad in the fridge just pick up this book and it will tell you flavours t
Jessica
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In these days of high food and gas prices, I do not part with my dollars easily. Every time I pull out my wallet, it is only after much thought and some time spent foraging for cheaper alternatives, or else a realization that the coveted item is just that -a want instead of a need.

Books are high on that list on 'wants'. It took me many years to come to this conclusion, but after re-discovering the joys of my public library, I have now firmly placed owned books on my luxury list.

Here's a confess
Matthew Gatheringwater
Jan 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is not a cookbook, and that's a good thing.

There are no recipes, only lists and descriptions of compatible flavors, along with reflections from a handful of well-known and trendy chefs. Apparently geared to the professional cook (unless sous-vide has become a home cooking technique), it can still offer inspiration to the adventurous home cook. It has, in any case, inspired me to put fresh thyme and honey on my grapefruit.

The lists are not consistent. What is listed as a classic pairing und
Bruce
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: nouveau cuisine fans, cooks without inspiration or internet connections
Shelves: food
A curious culinary compendium for cooks keen to cop comely combinations of comestibles, the book is basically a big alphabetized list of ingredients, with everything from achiote seeds (p. 37) to zucchini blossoms (p. 374). A typical entry (p. 199) looks like this:
LEMONS, PRESERVED
Taste: sour
Weight: light-medium
Volume: moderate-loud

cinnamon
cloves
lamb
MOROCCAN CUISINE
nigella seeds
saffron
Oh, and featured chef Brad Farmerie (Public, NYC) is quoted enthusiastically as favoring their use. Readers are
Rachel
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the most helpful tools in my kitchen. It lists food alphabetically and each entry has a number of flavor suggestions. For instance: FRENCH TOAST. Maple syrup. Bananas. Sausage. Some flavor combinations are so out-there that I'd never have thought of trying them, while others are obvious. There are also little sidebars full of advice, descriptions of chef's dishes, and more. I love this book and I recommend it to any cook who likes to create recipes from scratch!
Sorenconard
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After checking this book out multiple times at the library I finally own it. A must have for anyone that wants to take their cooking to the next level. No recipes, very little on technique, just page after page after page of flavor listing charts and brief ideas from chefs that like to use the ingredient.

If you are a home cook who is tired of "line cooking" recipes from cook books, or started changing/tweeking recipes to reflect your style but want to do more this will be a priceless book for y
Lauri
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is not a recipe book, so don't buy or read it looking for that. Instead, this is a book for upping your game as a home chef. If you want to make up your own creations (or riff off of recipes or improve old favorites) this book will teach you how to do that without having your food turning out like butt.

I saw this book in the bookstore the year that it came out. I remember being glued to it for about an hour in the store. Between the beautiful pictures and the genius design, I was obsessed.
Keith
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have longed for just this book for years! You wouldn't believe how excited I was when I saw it. If I could only keep one book it my kitchen, this would be the one.

This is not a cookbook. Not really. It's more like a flavor encyclopedia: Look up a spice, herb, vegetable, or even season or type of ethnic cuisine, and you will find a list of complimentary flavors, plus a few cooking techniques. Look up black beans, and it will suggest a lengthy list of pairings, with emphasis on the stronger opti
Andrea
Jul 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is an incredible reference, especially for cooks who enjoy 'winging-it' instead of always following closely to recipes. This gives great guidance for flavor combinations that work, and allows for 'safe' creativity in the kitchen. I turn to this book almost weekly, and far more than any cookbook I've ever owned. Highly recommended.
Ifa Inziati
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Bagus, sih... tapi rasanya bukan untuk pemula, ya. Haha. Soalnya bagian pembukanya cuma sedikit dan sisanya seperti kamus saja--nama-nama bahan sesuai abjad dan bahan lain yang kompatibel dengannya. Yang ultimate combo ditandai dengan huruf kapital dan simbol. Yang paling nggak nyambung hurufnya kecil.

Beberapa memang cukup dikenal tanpa harus menilik 'injil' ini, seperti apel dengan kayumanis, tomat dengan oregano, dsb. Mungkin ini akan lebih berguna bagi saya setelah saya sudah lebih sering ber
Dasha
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook-awarded
skvelá príručka chutí, klasifikácia prísad a ich kombinácie, často na základe svetových kuchýň, rady a tipy. akú radosť vie spraviť abecedné radenie :)
♥Xeni♥
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
June 24, 2015:

I was given this book in a gift exchange. It is so much more than I ever imagined. It is incredible!

---
Feb 23, 2012:

This is a pretty awesome "cookbook". I say cookbook in quotes, because it's not really that. It's more like a how-to book on becoming a great chef (from level good). Detailed information on which herbs and spices and ingredients and all what you need for cooking go well together (or super excellent together or not at all!)

Based on both experience from some of Americ
Samantha
Apr 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the most useful books in my kitchen!

A book for the culinary tinkerer: Perfect for anyone who loves to cook and experiment in the kitchen without having to rely on recipes or cookbooks.

The flavor bible is organized so you can look up any ingredients, say, for example "asparagus" and find complimentary ingredients, cooking techniques, and flavor combinations. This is both great for cooking seasonally such as when you have a turnip from your farm box and you don't know what to do with it, o
Angela
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was a little disappointed by this book. It seems like a great idea, and I enjoyed flipping through it, but I've had it checked out for 9 days now from the library, and every time I thought of an ingredient and went to look it up, I was underwhelmed with the results. Perhaps if I had a bigger grocery budget or could get a wider variety of grocery items locally (I live in a small town), I would have more use for this, but so much seemed obvious (celery goes with cream; cream of celery soup, you ...more
Mattie
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Terrifically comprehesive reference work! Organized by ingredient, each entry provides a long list of complementary foods and flavors, with the most traditional or typical pairings highlighted. So, say you've had a trip to the farmer's market and bought some veggie or herb you're not familiar with - you can consult the book to get ideas of complementary flavor profiles to help you figure out how to use it. Or, if you have a couple of items you are familiar with, but haven't ever had a dish with ...more
Amanda
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Recipes are nice for learning new skills and how to prepare new dishes, but mostly when I cook I just want to know how to mix and remix flavour combos, especially spices and seasonings. If I could download all of my father's knowledge and cooking experience into my brain, it would be no problem, but this book will have to suffice. It is hands down the most useful book in my kitchen on a day-to-day basis. The ability to look up key ingredients you are cooking with and find things that complement ...more
kirk
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If I only had four reference books in my kitchen, they'd be:

1. Timing Is Everything
2. The Food Substitutions Bible
3. Some kind of exhaustive field guide to the grocery store which I haven't yet identified.

and

4. The Flavor Bible. A good Sunday afternoon involves a lot of sunshine and a long stretch of time on the sofa leafing through this book. In short, it collects lists of flavors that go well together.

Chef Michael Laiskonis says, "I like the combination of rosemary with pineapple." As it turn
Liz
Jun 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to cook
Shelves: cookbooks
I love this book! I'm terrible at planning meals in advance and then making a shopping list based on that. This book is perfect for someone like me who likes to find or create recipes based on what you have on hand.

Since I joined a community supported agriculture (CSA) farm, I now get a plethora of produce based on what is in season. I use this book to look up veggies I'm not used to cooking with, such as bok choy or swiss chard, and then based on what other foods go well with that ingredient, I
Erin
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I ADORE this book. no more being stumped by an ingredient, or looking for a whole recipe. If you use recipes as more of a jumping-off point, this will get you confidantly out in deeper waters.
It's as if someone cross referenced a bunch of recommendations and recipes to tell you what works with what. Or like a good cook giving you a hint when your'e stuck. I can take stock of the fridge, pick something, and scan it's entry for another ingredient i have and then stride into the kitchen to combine
Marian
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for all my friends who say they "cook from the hip" and don't use recipes. This is a book that explores flavor affinities. For example, If you had some pork sausages, you could make them taste like many different cuisines. They could be Spanish or German or Italian or Korean based on the accompanying flavor notes. I really enjoyed how you could look up an ingredient and be inspired by all the flavors suggested. Not a cook book more of a chef's book. Got to buy it for myself.
Phuoc Phan
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you ever feel overwhelm at all these different spices and herbs, and you don't have a clue what they are for. Do I use peparika with chicken or pork, should I use cinamon for this or that, then this book is for you. It's a good reference book that explain briefly about the spice and herb as well as give you general guidance on matching among them. Definitely a must for anyone serious about cooking (less)
52 minutes ago · delete
Kim
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Not really a 'reading' book, definitely a reference book that you can dip into to look at and to figure out things to do for flavor profiles and other such things that you might want to cook with. Long long list of items that can go together, with a many comments from chefs who either have something to say or who have recipes that contain some of the ingredients. Preliminary chapters are interesting. Well worth reviewing for cooking & recipe ideas.
Tim
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
i mean, maybe useful if you have a rando ingredient in the fridge and don't know what to do with it - but not rocket science. i thought perhaps the chefs opining on different ingredients would be inspiring, but it's not. i thought there would be recipes - nope. just a bunch of suggested pairings organized poorly. is it a bad book - no, but it's certainly not james beard award worthy.
Nicole
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the best cookbook I've ever owned. The flavor bible will not give you recipes. It will answer the question, "I have chicken, and thyme...but when else should I put in here?" I especially love that it tells you 'Holy Grail' pairings of flavors.

Special thanks to my sister Victoria for this LOVED christmas gift a few years ago.
Rory
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
A confusing format that is more complicated than it needs to be.
Perhaps of benefit to the most basic of cooks that are just starting out or the weekend home cook. However if you are a professional chef with a good sense of flavours and what goes where and with what I don't think there is much to be derived from this book
Jeannie
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-drink
It does not have many recipes, and it is not very inspiring to read. The information throughout the book is mostly rudimentary culinary knowledge. It is probably a good read for someone looking to better understand and maintain quality and flavor in ingredients.
Melissa
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is another great reference book for someone like me. I like to cook but I am not great at following a recipe. The Flavor Bible allows me to have an idea for a meal and flash it out with other flavors that work. Anotehr one to buy!
Dinamarie
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone that likes to cook
This is THE most important book that a person who likes to cook should have in their library. It is chock full of food ingredient pairings. It tells you what goes with everything. I refer to it several times a week and have used it to create dozens of recipes over the last year.
January
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my whole approach to cooking and is the most used cookbook in my kitchen. I no longer use recipes. This book plus knowledge of basic cooking techniques and formulas (sauces, soups, etc) is all you need to make any food.
  • Culinary Artistry
  • Alinea
  • Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking
  • The Fat Duck Cookbook
  • The Professional Chef
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking
  • Molecular Gastronomy: Exploring the Science of Flavor
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg have been called the brightest young author team on the culinary scene today's on NPR. Their previous books Becoming a Chef, Dining Out, and The New American Chef have all been finalists for or winners of James Beard and/or IACP Book Awards.

Their landmark book Culinary Artistry, the first- known reference on culinary composition and flavor compatibility, establishe
“once we wanted to make a cookie with a really concentrated flavor. So, we threw cookies into the dehydrator, and turned them into powder. This created a new building block for flavor. [Instead of the flour you would normally use in your dough,] you weigh the powdered cookies out as your starch in your normal cookie recipe. But this starch is now a carrier of flavor for the end product—so the resulting cookie now tastes more like it “should” than it would have just using regular flour.” 0 likes
“The preparation, cooking, and eating of food is a sacrament. Treating it as such has the potential to elevate the quality of our daily lives like nothing else.” 0 likes