Start by marking “Genesis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #12)” as Want to Read:
Genesis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #12)

Genesis

(Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery #12)

11 hrs 6 mins
New York Times-bestselling author Robin Cook takes on the ripped-from-the-headlines topic of using genealogical DNA database tracking to catch a killer in this unforgettable new medical thriller.

When the body of twenty-nine-year-old social worker Gloria Montoya, seven weeks pregnant with her first child, shows up on Chief New York City Medical Examiner Laurie
Published December 3rd 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

Start your review of Genesis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #12)
Kaceey
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75*
I’ve come across Robin Cook’s novels numerous times over the years...but never had an opportunity to read one. So, thank you to Goodreads Giveaways for dropping this latest release right into my hands!

This is book twelve of the Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery series. Robin Cook managed to provide ample background on all the primary characters, so at no time did I feel I was missing anything essential. This book can strongly stand on its own.

A children’s social worker is found dead in her
Tim
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent well written thriller by Robin Cook. 9 of 10 stars
Natalie M
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: medical-thriller
I have read all 35+ Cook novels and by far this one feels the least like his writing. It is so unlike a Cook I’m going to hazard the following guess...he supplied the plot (which is excellent) but everything else was written by someone else.

1-star for dialogue- stilted, uncomfortable and forced.
2-stars for vocabulary- in this case there are too many errors (right-click synonym does not work) for example: a colleague leaves an office of a character who has riled her all the way to page 300 and th
Jim
In his latest medical thriller Robin Cook turns to the topic of using DNA and ancestry websites to catch a killer. The story opens with the murder of Kera Jacobsen, a twenty-eight-year-old social worker. During the autopsy it is discovered that she was ten weeks pregnant. First appearances seem to indicate that it is a tragic, but all too common, drug overdose.

The autopsy winds up on Chief New York City Medical Examiner Laurie Montgomery's autopsy table. Her office has a new pathology resident,
Kathleen
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Robin Cook’s latest medical suspense story includes cutting-edge DNA database techniques to find the murderer. Kera Jacobsen’s married boyfriend decides that she must die when Kera refuses to terminate her pregnancy. Of course, the pregnancy is revealed during Kera’s autopsy by anatomical pathology resident Dr. Aria Nichols. Aria believes that the fetus’ father may have played a part in the expectant mother’s death and seeks to find him through DNA sleuthing. The technique she uses is similar to ...more
Jaksen
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and so glad I did! Thank you, Goodreads. :)

A solid medical thriller by Robin Cook, a physician, with huge emphasis on genetics, genealogy, the new research methods used in both, as well as forensic science. If you're a medical-science geek, who also likes a bit of mystery on the side, with a good selection of strong female characters, then this might be the book for you.

A young woman shows up dead, found in her apartment with a needle in her arm, another vic
Kay
WOW, this is such an entertaining medical thriller! It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole way. Despite it being 12th in the series, I didn't feel lost listening to it - also my first book by Robin Cook.
Genesis is about using ancestry companies to find a suspect in an "overdose" case. The characters have depth even supporting character (Like Aria. Isn't she something?)
Donna Hines
Now this was one hell of a wild ride!
From start to finish this thriller grabbed on and wouldn't let go...
It looks like it's literally a open and shut case when Kera's body shows up at the morgue.
Sadly, looks are deceiving and everyone knows Kera never touched drugs! NEVER!
So, how did it end up looking like Fentanyl was the drug of choice and why?
In addition, during the autopsy more of her life was revealed and it showed she was expecting. Nobody knows who the father could've been but they sure h
M.  [storme reads a lot]
Morgan
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fascinating medical drama leading to an impressive discussion as to how far DNA and genealogical databases have come and its many uses apart from just finding distant relatives.
In criminal cases it is becoming more and more important and useful. A compelling read in this regard.
I don’t much care for the characters but that’s not why I read Robin Cook, however in this novel
there is a distinct reminder regarding the difference between how people of influence and/or money are treated (medically) a
Cheryl
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
While Jack and Laurie may be the main leads of this series, it was Dr. Aria Nichols that was a huge important part of this story. In fact, I hardly knew that Jack was really a main lead as he was more of a secondary character in my mind. However, the major player is the DNA genesis that the characters used to track down the killer. DNA tracking is an important part of helping investigators solve cases. You may have even read about cold cases being solved many years later with advances in technol ...more
Escape into a Booksite
*DNF*

Copy kindly received from PanMacMillan Australia in exchange for an honest review.

Not for me. Not my kind of writing style, so I couldn't get into this one. The blurb of the story sounds great, it just turned out not to be my kind of book.
Donna
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The chief medical examiner of the City of New York, Laurie Montgomery, is boss to 40 medical examiners and more than 1000 employees. A social worker is found dead in an apparent drug overdose. Laurie and a resident, Dr Aria Nichols, handle the autopsy.

If you're looking for a team player, don't look Aria's way. She's so anti-social, she has a hard time getting along with dead people. But she has a definite interest in this corpse and she's determined to find the father of the baby.

Gosh, it seems
Monique
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
I hadn't read a Robin Cook novel in quite some time, I grabbed GENESIS right away; I love medical thrillers. Lucky for me that I was already familiar with the author because the prologue would have discouraged me from getting to chapter one. Basically, the prologue is the scientific description of human conception told in some of the most flowery, purple prose I have ever read. So if you already know about the birds and the bees, skip to chapter one. The rest of the book however is very well wri ...more
Susan
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I used to be a huge fan of Robin Cook but got bored reading them as time went on. This was the first one I've read in a very long time. Although the story line was interesting and caught my interest immediately upon reading the plot, it was obvious (to me) very early on who the killer was. It was an entertaining, but disappointing, 3.5 stars. It'll probably be a while before I buy another of his books.
Jacki Gross
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Profanity made this book receive 2 stars. So unnecessary.
Karen
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-giveaways
I read it in 2 days!!! I work in a hospital laboratory so It immediately captured my attention all the way to the very end!! A little disappointed with the ending, answered a lot of questions very briefly. I guess I didn’t want it to end. I would highly recommend if you are into Medical thrillers.
Darshika
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
The question over here is why was the book written. I mean sure I enjoyed it but it's plot is lighter than ether. You could guess what's going on from page one. I love Laurie and Jack, they have given me amazing hair splitting thrills that's why when they were confronted by this novice killer, I was disappointed. They deserve better, they are better. Anyways it's light fluffy reading, not much eye opening science as well. Only character given a lot to do is Aria but her ending is unsatisfactory. ...more
Xanderharris
Dec 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Over it

I’ve been a fan of Robin Cook since Coma, but I’m tired and over it now. His storylines are becoming repetitive, and his medi-splaining is annoying. No one, especially in the medical field, has dialogues like in his books.
Joanna Snelling
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Predictable plot. Unrealistic dialogue. Mistakes in grammar and vocabulary abound. I gave it two stars because I finished it to make sure there was no final twist, otherwise it would be one star. I used to like Robin Cook's books for a fun read but something has gone wrong.
Mean Drake
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
From mass murdering biotech to immoral pharma, Robin Cook ventures into the territory of the whodunit.
Unfortunately not a hard one to guess and no clever clues all over. Just add another death when the story line feels like slacking off.
Nothing worth writing home about.
Barbara Schultz
I have been reading Robin Cook for many years. This is book 16 for me
When I looked back on Goodreads, I saw that most of the novels I read were before I starting logging on Goodreads ~ so I didn’t have any comments. The most recent novel was Charlatans which I really enjoyed.
I have only read a few Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery and this is #12. I like both Jack and Laurie. Had a hard time with unlikeable Dr. Aria Nichols ~ her nasty foul language, obnoxious, rude/better than anyone else
Jack
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another solid read by Dr. Robin Cook who has written many medical thrillers. In this story Genealogical testing is utilized as an essential part of the effort to determine who may have been involved in the murder of an innocent pregnant woman. As usual, Cook fills the story with technical medical terms that may bother some readers but made the tale more realistic to me. All in all, a solid 4.
Valerie
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading Robin Cook’s medical thrillers for years. I really enjoyed this one and that it incorporates new and modern advances in genealogy. To use someone’s DNA and family tree to locate a suspect was very interesting.
TERRY
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Robin Cook's Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery series. I enjoyed Genesis much better than Cook's last book Pandemic. The increased use of genealogical DNA to find criminals is quite interesting. The story was nicely paced and it was a quick read.
Erin Picco
I usually always start a series from the beginning but I had no idea this was a series. I saw the book on display at the library, so I grabbed it after quickly reading the synopsis. I would not say I’m disappointed, however it was not all that difficult to see where the story was going. It was a slow start and I’m not entirely sure I cared for how a character was portrayed.

All in all, it was a decent book. I’ll probably think about the story line for some time but I’m not sure I see myself pick
Kenneth B. Siegman
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read

A thought provoking suspense. I’m not sure if Robin Cook wraps his mystery’s in timely information, or his knowledge and skill as a teacher is delivered via a mystery. Whatever and whichever, it’s a very satisfying read!
jan holmes
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait for his next book!

Mr. Cook not only educates us about what goes on behind the scenes in medicine, he tells a heck of a nail biting story. The world stops for me until the book is read. Great fun!
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
During forensic rotation at New York City OCME, resident, Dr. Aira Nichols autopsies a woman who supposedly died of an overdose and she questions the cause of death. Finding the victim ten weeks pregnant and not an apparent drug user, piques the interest and curiosity of Dr. Nichols. Known to have an unappealing, possibly sociopathic personality and negative appreciation of the male gender, Dr. Nichols takes it upon herself to investigate the mysterious death of the young woman. When the victim’ ...more
Sandra
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
As a newly addicted genealogy enthusiast, ancestry researcher, and avid reader, I was drawn to Genesis after reading that one of my major Genealogy resources, Blaine T Bettinger's title was referred to in its pages.
This is my introduction to Laurie Montgomery and Jack Stableton's relationship, which seemed a bit too perfect with all of the personal adversities they have to face. I will probably try #1 in the series in the future to get a better foundation. As a mystery lover, there just seemed
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Permanent Record
  • The Chain
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Bryson City Seasons: More Tales of a Doctor’s Practice in the Smoky Mountains
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Encouragement: The Unexpected Power of Building Others Up
  • Savage Run (Joe Pickett, #2)
  • The Cranes Dance
  • Murder of a Bookstore Babe (Scumble River Mystery, #13)
  • Fall; or, Dodge in Hell
  • The Unexpected Waltz
  • The Red Address Book
  • Dreadful Diseases and Terrible Treatments
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine, biotechnology, and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who created the medical-thriller genre by combining medical writing with the thri

Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Blindsight (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #1)
  • Contagion (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #2)
  • Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3)
  • Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #4)
  • Marker (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #5)
  • Crisis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #6)
  • Critical (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #7)
  • Foreign Body (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #8)
  • Intervention (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #9)
  • Cure (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #10)