Start by marking “Genesis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #12)” as Want to Read:
Genesis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #12)

Genesis

(Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #12)

New York Times-bestselling author Robin Cook takes on the ripped-from-the-headlines topic of using genealogical DNA database tracking to catch a killer in this unforgettable new medical thriller.

When the body of twenty-nine-year-old social worker Gloria Montoya, seven weeks pregnant with her first child, shows up on Chief New York City Medical Examiner Laurie Montgomery's
Published December 3rd 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

Start your review of Genesis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #12)
Jim
In his latest medical thriller Robin Cook turns to the topic of using DNA and ancestry websites to catch a killer. The story opens with the murder of Kera Jacobsen, a twenty-eight-year-old social worker. During the autopsy it is discovered that she was ten weeks pregnant. First appearances seem to indicate that it is a tragic, but all too common, drug overdose.

The autopsy winds up on Chief New York City Medical Examiner Laurie Montgomery's autopsy table. Her office has a new pathology resident,
Jaksen
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and so glad I did! Thank you, Goodreads. :)

A solid medical thriller by Robin Cook, a physician, with huge emphasis on genetics, genealogy, the new research methods used in both, as well as forensic science. If you're a medical-science geek, who also likes a bit of mystery on the side, with a good selection of strong female characters, then this might be the book for you.

A young woman shows up dead, found in her apartment with a needle in her arm, another
Donna Hines
Now this was one hell of a wild ride!
From start to finish this thriller grabbed on and wouldn't let go...
It looks like it's literally a open and shut case when Kera's body shows up at the morgue.
Sadly, looks are deceiving and everyone knows Kera never touched drugs! NEVER!
So, how did it end up looking like Fentanyl was the drug of choice and why?
In addition, during the autopsy more of her life was revealed and it showed she was expecting. Nobody knows who the father could've been but they sure
Cheryl
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
While Jack and Laurie may be the main leads of this series, it was Dr. Aria Nichols that was a huge important part of this story. In fact, I hardly knew that Jack was really a main lead as he was more of a secondary character in my mind. However, the major player is the DNA genesis that the characters used to track down the killer. DNA tracking is an important part of helping investigators solve cases. You may have even read about cold cases being solved many years later with advances in ...more
Escape into a Booksite
*DNF*

Copy kindly received from PanMacMillan Australia in exchange for an honest review.

Not for me. Not my kind of writing style, so I couldn't get into this one. The blurb of the story sounds great, it just turned out not to be my kind of book.
Karen
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-giveaways
I read it in 2 days!!! I work in a hospital laboratory so It immediately captured my attention all the way to the very end!! A little disappointed with the ending, answered a lot of questions very briefly. I guess I didn’t want it to end. I would highly recommend if you are into Medical thrillers.
Lillian Cummings
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Laurie might be the chief medical examiner but she spends more time doing the paperwork than spending time in the pit. Just when things can't get any worse she has a pathology resident that isn't doing what is required of her, her son JJ is having problems at school and she has to send her husband Jack to the school to talk to the teachers. She is worried though as Jack isn't always cool-headed and she just hopes that he can keep it under control. Aria Nichols doesn't want to do forensic ...more
Dennis L.
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As Good As Ever. I have a lot of catching up to do!

I Have not read any Robin Cook novels, nor any medico-legal thrillers for a long time. So I was pleasantly surprised to find this new release. Drs. Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery are portrayed as vibrantly as when they first appeared. The world of the Medical Examiner is vividly detailed and Post Morten procedures are portrayed accurately (I worked my way through college as a “mortuary assistant “ as the job is titled in this series).
The
Nancy  Price
I received a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

I've been following Robin Cook since his first book, The Year of the Intern, was published. When I hear of an upcoming new release, it immediately goes on my "want to read" list. This one, as always, was a roller coaster of a read. This is the twelfth of Cook's medical thrillers featuring Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery, and I've enjoyed watching the character development of this married medical examiner couple as they deal with their
T
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Penguin Random Books and Robin Cook for a print copy of this book for my unbiased review.

When I first realized this book was #12 of an ongoing series, I was skeptical. I like to read a book series from the first edition to the last or most current one. Having never read Robin Cook, I wasn’t sure what to expect. My impression was Robin Cook wrote medical themed books filled with technical jargon that I would find boring and confusing.

I am pleasantly surprised by this book and this
Patrick Pilz
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got this as a goodreads giveaway.

This was actually the 2nd time I read a Robin Cook novel, the first one was Pandemic which I ran into last year. I am by no means a big fiction reader, mostly into non-fiction titles and giveaways as they relate to my professional field: Food and Technology.

I like Robin’s writing. The stories remind me of my favorite TV Show: Law and Order. Like Dick Wolf, Robin get the inspiration of his stories from current events, books and stories that have lately
Joanne
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this medical thriller, but you have to get used to this author’s rhythm in that he provides so much detail. I found myself frequently speed reading or skimming through pages just to get further along. I felt that the ending was much too abrupt and just was not at all happy with how that was handled. It was certainly an intriguing plot premise and the character of Dr Nichols was not realistic. If this were real life, she would have never made it that far in her training ( though she ...more
Liza C
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This has so many relevant health issues encountered by families today, the overprescribing of drugs to treat ADHD in young boys and the preventive mastectomy+oophorectomy of women with high risk for breast & ovarian cancer. Plus the use of genetic genealogy to find adoptee or donor sperm parents as well as to catch a killer. It was so interesting & so current, I was hooked on the medicine and the case.

Having read a lot of Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery’s books also made this feel
Susan
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I used to be a huge fan of Robin Cook but got bored reading them as time went on. This was the first one I've read in a very long time. Although the story line was interesting and caught my interest immediately upon reading the plot, it was obvious (to me) very early on who the killer was. It was an entertaining, but disappointing, 3.5 stars. It'll probably be a while before I buy another of his books.
Kenneth B. Siegman
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read

A thought provoking suspense. I’m not sure if Robin Cook wraps his mystery’s in timely information, or his knowledge and skill as a teacher is delivered via a mystery. Whatever and whichever, it’s a very satisfying read!
jan holmes
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait for his next book!

Mr. Cook not only educates us about what goes on behind the scenes in medicine, he tells a heck of a nail biting story. The world stops for me until the book is read. Great fun!
Emmaj
Dec 10, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, audio
I listen to this book. 15 minutes in I thought “this is the killer”.
I was right.
Jeff Jeffcoat
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I have read most of Fool's novels. The actions in this novel did not fit in With the plot
Priscilla Del Gesso
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i love robin cook's books. i've read all of them. this was really good. i liked that he had the genealogy in it. i've been doing mine for many years.
Kim Yarnell
Dec 04, 2019
Angie DeArth
Maryann Fox
« previous 1 3 next »

• The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • A Warning
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross, #27)
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)
  • Permanent Record
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • The Chain
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Bryson City Seasons: More Tales of a Doctor’s Practice in the Smoky Mountains
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Encouragement: The Unexpected Power of Building Others Up
  • Savage Run (Joe Pickett, #2)
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • The Cranes Dance
  • The Guardians
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine, biotechnology, and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who created the medical-thriller genre by combining medical writing with the

Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Blindsight (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #1)
  • Contagion (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #2)
  • Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3)
  • Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #4)
  • Marker (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #5)
  • Crisis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #6)
  • Critical (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #7)
  • Foreign Body (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #8)
  • Intervention (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #9)
  • Cure (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #10)