Start by marking “Rise of Gaia” as Want to Read:
Rise of Gaia

Rise of Gaia

Beneath rock and soil, trees and oceans, she lies.

Under concrete jungles and poisoned rivers, she slumbers.

She is Mother Earth.

And mankind has turned its back on its mother.

The visions begin on Terran’s seventeenth birthday. Horrifying images pummel her brain, while a voice commands her to see beyond the world she thought she knew and into the heart of it. Gaia has
Paperback
Published August 24th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Rise of Gaia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise of Gaia

Start your review of Rise of Gaia
Nick Borrelli
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
17 year-old Terran has begun to see visions. These visions are not only terrifying in nature, they also seem to foretell a world on the brink of a horrific cataclysm. At first Terran doesn't quite know what to make of these apocalyptic messages, but after discussing them with her best friend Beth, she makes the decision to see a local medium to see if any light can be shed on these episodes.

The world that Terran lives in is a world that has turned its back on the environment. It is a place of ex
allieereads
So I read Ward’s book, After the Green Withered for a blog tour last year so I was already aware of how much I enjoyed Ward’s writing as well as her creativity and the way in which she writes her characters. After the Green Withered and Rise of Gaia share incredibly similar themes focusing on climate change and the negative impact of humanity upon the earth. Rise of Gaia is about a young woman named Terran (which i thought was cool since earth was also referred to as Terra) who, upon her sevente ...more
Lili  Marcus
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm part of a blog tour for this one, and my review will be up on Feb. 14. ...more
Stephen Donovan
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a story that positively brimmed with imagination and meaning. Descriptively written and possessing a powerful overriding message, I was thoroughly impressed by how the issue of climate change provides the basis for an enjoyable and engaging young adult fantasy, where it is cleverly woven into an intelligent plot.

As in her previous books, Kristin Ward uses climate change as the principal theme, and it is hugely effective again here as she portrays the Earth as a living creature with a ph
Elizabeth Tabler
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Rise of Gaia is author Kristen Ward's third novel, and frankly, she just keeps getting better and better. In this outing, Ward touches on a few different topics, but first and foremost is the topic of climate change. Readers have been seeing a lot of books out in the world about this subject. It is on the minds of authors as well as readers because we as humans are seeing the effects of environmental degradation more and more every day. Instead of writing a purely dystopic novel, which you f ...more
Kate (Looking Glass Reads)
Today, I’m thrilled to be a part of the blog tour for Rise of Gaia by Kristin Ward, winner of the 2018 Winner of the Best Indie Book Award for her previous novel, After the Green Withered. This novel is set in a small American town, and follows Terra, a high school girl. On her seventeenth birthday, she has a vision, one that shows her horrifying scenes of destruction.

The story is told in first person point of view from Terra’s perspective. Opening on her birthday, we follow Terra as her entire
Vanessa Maldonado
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just as expected, this novel did not disappoint. Once again, Kristin Ward did an amazing job of pulling me into the Terran's world. Terran is a young girl who begins to have these intense unexplainable visions swirl around in her head. She eventually finds she has a deeper purpose on this Earth and it is something she never imagined. This novel was captivating and there were some unexpected jaw dropping twists, especially the ending.
There were a few very poignant moments that were utterly breat
Theartsyreader
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
This is the kind of book that makes you think. That makes you stop and wonder - wow, the author is right. What can I do to make it right? I love that the big theme here is Mother Earth and nature. I think we need many, many more such books. I also love that despite it being the big theme, it‘s not in your face, as if it wants to instruct us, no, but it does educate us.

The characters in this are awesome and you will definitely feel with them, and be able to identify with them, too. Especially Ter
Natasha Clark-French
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Valerie Fazio
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won-giveaways
I love the cover, and unlike that age-old saying, you MAY judge this book by the cover because it was just as colorful, explosive and engaging. The story was great, it drew me in at the preface, and kept me interested until the acknowledgements (because who actually reads those?)
As far as the dialect goes, I definitely think it is on the younger end of the young adult spectrum. The descriptions, dialogue, transitions, etc seemed somewhere between middle-school and lower high school level. It do
Rebecca Hill
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tours
The Rise of Gaia is a book that you have to take your time with. While the storyline flows and keeps you engaged, there is more to the narrative than just a story to entertain you. I am going to share my thoughts, and my take on the book. Kristin Ward delivers another book that is profound and thought-provoking.

Stars: 4/5

Review of The Rise of Gaia:

Terran is a normal teenager, at least, until the day she turns 17. On her birthday, she is hit with visions of a dark and horrid world. She cannot get
Bec
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
Rise of Gaia is essentially Airbenders meeting climate change.

I am not someone who has read a lot – if any? – environmental disaster science-fiction/fantasy. And after this book, I kinda want to pick up more.

If you want a jarring and new perspective on the impact of humans on the Earth, this may be the book for you. Ward creates some extremely touching and close-to-home environmental imagery throughout this story.
But in amongst the doom and gloom of the state of the world, is also a much softer
Angel White
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is am amazing story. I absolutely love the dynamic between Terran and Beth. I found myself laughing during many moments of their kinship. It almost makes me miss high school...almost. 🤣 Their friendship stood the test with a selfless sacrifice that saves everything.

Terran is a great MC and I felt myself struggling along with her. I can relate to her being a nature lover and a quiet unknown floater in social circles.

The main theme of this story is so relevant to our society today, and
Steph
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounding up to 5

Rise of Gaia is a great read. We are introduced to Terran, a 17 yearly girl who loves the outdoors and nature. But there is a reason for that ... she is special... she is Gail's chosen one.

Only Terran doesn't;t know that, not yet. Not until she starts getting hit with scary visions of death and destruction. Gaia is calling to her and boy oh boy is Gaia mad.

Ward takes us on a very well woven tale as we follow terra along on an ever more terrifying path. At first she want
Esmée van der Weide
I have received this book for free from TheWriteReads and Kristin Ward in exchange for an honest review.

I finished this book shortly before writing this review and I can already feel this is gonna be tough to review. So on one side the concept and the message of the book are incredible and exactly my cup of tea, but on the other side the pacing and build-up are all over the place and inconsistent. Let's dissect this bit for bit so I can make sense of my thoughts.

I should start at the beginning a
Rosie Amber
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Rise Of Gaia is a young adult fantasy. It is a powerful story about man’s destruction of Mother Earth. On her seventeenth birthday, Terran begins to receive a series of horrific visions about the damage that is being done to nature, all across the planet. A mystery voice urges Terran to ‘see’; this is the voice of Gaia, the Earth Mother who is dying as she is slowly poisoned and destroyed.

Terran has been chosen, along with an ancient race of people; they have been called to re-balance the world.
Patti
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Overall rating: 4.5

An action packed stand-alone filled with plot twists and unexpected trials! This MC faces conflict between the will of a parent versus the fate of friends. Mother Nature takes a surprising role in this tale making this storyline very unique. Parts of this felt slightly laggy but the tale itself kept me reading. I couldn’t help but notice the parallel between our reality and the this book. Hopefully this doesn’t trigger anyone. All my reviews are always voluntarily written.
Toni Kief
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing story that's time is now. There were a couple small typos that didn't distract from the story. Mother Earth is angry and knows the abuse has to stop. Terran will she answer the call? Does she have a choice. Don't miss this book. ...more
Britt
As I was reading this book, there was one particular story that stuck out in my mind that this book most reminded me of.

When I first read the summary for Rise of Gaia, I thought right off the bat that this story gave me strong Moana vibes. And I was right — sort of. The drama and central conflict in this story would be sort of like if Te Fiti/Te Kā from Moana had been on steroids of epic proportions. Likewise, the main character in Rise of Gaia, Terran, would be similar to Moana if Moana had tak
Tiffany
I received a digital arc in exchange for an honest review. This is simply my opinion on the book and is not influenced by any external factor.

This is the first book I have read by this author, and I can say with confidence I was not disappointed!

Set in modern day Oregon and highlighting the threats to the environment, Terran began hearing voices in her head on her 17th birthday. After speaking with her friend and ultimately, a medium, she leans that Gaia (also known as Mother Earth), has awoken
DragonReader167
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-books-read
It's set in modern day Oregon, and we follow Terran, our main protagonist.

It's a first person point of view, so we get some decent insight as to how Terran developes throughout the story. I personally don't go for first person stories, but the author pulls it off surprisingly well.

The basis of the story is as the blurb states. Mother Earth (Gaia) has awoken, and is calling forth her chosen to fight for her, to take vengeance on man because of its greed for more than the earth can give. It's a re
Kriti | Armed with A Book
Lisa
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got this via the writereads for a blog tour but was super late with my review for personal reasons. Apologies to all concerned.

Well, what can I say about The Rise of Gaia by Kristin Ward? I think it's one of the best self-published books I have read in a long time. The main character, a 17 year-old girl named Terran, suffers from some freaky nightmares and visions where mother earth (Gaia) is calling to her demanding that she 'See' what is happening to the world, the destruction that mankind i
Lisa MK
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-reads
Terran discovers that she is the daughter of Gaia, put on the earth to help carry out her will. Gaia is angry and Terran struggles to bring together her love for those in her life and Gaia’s will.

The story is interesting and the characters are okay but, honestly, it was difficult for me to get into this book. There was quite a bit happening all at once but it felt repetitive and, at times, like the story wasn’t really moving forward.

This book is very introspective, with the main character trying
Daisy
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Read it as part of a TWR blog tour but never got around to posting my review here. Terran is a great main character. She wants to do the right thing, but what is the right thing? Great dilemma. She is troubled by dreams and visions from Gaia. At first Gaia seems good, but as the book goes along you become less and less sure. The best thing about the book though is the relationship between Terran and her best friend. I like that the true 'love' story in this is not the hot boy, it ...more
Jennifer Lil'n  Dunski
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! A truly wonderful standalone story! "Rise Of Gaia" has it all....friendship, kinship, hate, rage, love and pain. This story brings out all the feels!
The characters are fantastic, the storyline a down right harsh reality, although the story is anything but and the world building is truly astounding!
Absolutely a great book!

-Good worldbuilding
-Interesting plot
-Good plot twists

What I Wasn't the Biggest Fan Of:
-A bit repetitive & rushed at times
-I didn't fall in love with any of the characters; needs more characterization

Overall good book!
Debbie Eyre
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW what a read! Well written with a fantastic storyline the author has built an amazing world that you can easily get lost in! Action packed and filled with twists and turns you can really feel mother nature’s (Gaia) wrath at how badly the earth has been treated and you can easily compare it to our world today! A fast paced read with a great MC this is definitely well worth a read!
Fiona Revell
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This preview will make you want the full version!

Incredible preview of what promises to be an amazing book, I'm glad I saw this on bookfunnel and will definitely buy the full version. What is mother earth showing her, is it forewarning of what will come to pass or what will come to pass if we don't act upon these messages I can't wait to find out!
The YA Book Club: Goodreads Giveaway for Rise of Gaia! 1 6 Oct 04, 2019 02:49PM
Addicted to YA: Rise of Gaia - YA SciFi-Fantasy! 1 5 Jul 25, 2019 01:25PM
The YA Book Club: YA SciFi-Fantasy upcoming release! 1 15 Jul 24, 2019 09:37PM
Goodreads Authors...: YA SciFi-Fantasy upcoming release! 1 2 Jul 24, 2019 09:30PM

• Magic Unleashed (Venators, #1)
  • Kingshold (The Wildfire Cycle #1)
  • Harrow Lake
  • Dødens terning (Den store djævlekrig, #2)
  • Crossing in Time (Between Two Evils, #1)
  • The Friday Edition (Samantha Church, #1)
  • Djævelens Lærling (Den Store Djævlekrig 1)
  • The Beast and the Bethany
  • Promises Forged (Venators #2)
  • The Ship of Shadows (The Ship of Shadows, #1)
  • Catalyst (The Catalysts, #2)
  • A Different Time
  • Legends Rise (Venators #3)
  • 5 ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
  • May Day (Seekers, #1)
  • The Cousins
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • Brighty of the Grand Canyon
Kristin Ward is an award-winning author from Connecticut. She embraces her inner nerd regularly, geeking out with SciFi flicks or quoting 80s movies while expecting those around her to chime in with appropriate rejoinders. As a nature freak, she can be found wandering the woods - she may be lost, so please stop and ask if you see her - or chilling in her yard with all manner of furry and feathered ...more