Start by marking “Master of One” as Want to Read:
Master of One

Master of One

Sinister sorcery. Gallows humor. A queer romance so glorious it could be right out of fae legend itself. Master of One is a fantasy unlike any other.

Rags is a thief—an excellent one. He’s stolen into noble’s coffers, picked soldier’s pockets, and even liberated a ring or two off the fingers of passersby. Until he’s caught by the Queensguard and forced to find an ancien
Expected publication: November 10th 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Master of One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master of One

Start your review of Master of One
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
" When a common thief finds himself on the wrong side of the law, his punishment is to join an evil sorcerer on a perilous journey to uncover a lost fae relic. The relic turns out to be a fae himself—a distractingly handsome, annoyingly perfect, ancient fae prince. Together they must save the world from the evil sorcerer, while trying not to fall in love with each other."

YELLS IN GAY
No One
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Goodness I love this book with all my heart and instantly fell in love with each character. Such a unique book and I’m eager for more
alissa avaline
*3.5
Watch out for a review and interview on 8th November!
Alexx
Jun 30, 2020 marked it as wishlist
Shelves: anticipated-2020
Heists, faes, royals, queer romance, magic, and one of the authors just told me no one in this book is straight. Oh, how I love it already. 🤣

Find me elsewhere: Blog | Instagram | Twitter
Kimberly
I loved the main characters personality. He is witty and funny, I found myself laughing out loud at his reactions to things and really liked him a lot.

The thing about this book, is that it is not what I expected. I thought it was going to be like Six of Crows or something along the lines of that, but it was more like Indiana Jones. Even though I enjoyed the main character it wasn't enough to hold me to the plot itself. It was a bit flat and I didn't feel connected to the world at all. The langua
Alexx
WHEW. Okay, listen. This book is one of my most anticipated reads this year, and I'll definitely be looking forward to the sequel next year!

Master of One was a whole action-packed ride. Though it can take a while to really build up/can feel slow at times, the intriguing plot and the characters really stood out for me and got me invested in the story. Also!! All the yearning in this book made me want to curl up in a ball. (oh, the AGONY)

Full review soon!

(Also, a big thanks to the author Jaida Jon
Mollie
May 30, 2020 marked it as to-read
gay fae sorcery heist count me in
Julie
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ALL I WANT TO DO IS SCREAM ABOUT THIS BOOK AND THAT ENDING BUT I KNOW I HAVE TO WRITE A COHERENT REVIEW SO I PROMISE ONE IS COMING BUT FOR NOW OHMYGOODNESS

This is definitely 4.5 stars. Woah.
**Thank you to HCC for an advanced copy**
Andi
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-kindle, arc
I thank HarperCollins and Edelweiss for allowing me to review this.

I admit, this was my first time trying a book written by these two authors. Yet, the story felt like it had some bite, some real 'character' - with a summary like that you're looking for a heist story.

Unfortunately, this story is not really a heist story. I will say it is built on character development. I mean, you get a lot of focus on Rags and the Elf Lord. ... and the other members of their gang.

Master of One has a catch to th
Graceley Knox
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fae and thieves? I was sold on this book the moment I saw that on the front cover!

I'm a total sucker for fae books, so this one was on my must-read list and it did not disappoint! Rags is a talented thief, and one of those characters that you instantly like. The chemistry between Rags and Talon is electric on the page, and Master of One is a page-turner that kept me enthralled from beginning to end! I can't wait to see what happens next!
Starr ❇✌❇
I received an ARC from Edelweiss
TW: physical abuse, torture
4.6

Rags is a thief- and a good one at that. But when he's caught pulling what would have been the heist of his life, he's forced into an even bigger and riskier heist. One involving the dangerous, and now all wiped out fae folk. Except the treasure at the end isn't any treasure he was expecting- instead, it's a still living fae boy and the new understanding that he's just at the beginning. With a crew of the forgotten, damaged, and a
Emily Gilbow
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is tagged as being the Cruel Prince meets Six of Crows, but really it feels like The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner meets maybe Six of Crows? It was good, made me laugh and had me intrigued.
Rachelle
Aug 01, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I don't know why, but I really want this book. I've heard nothing about it beyond the HarperTeen cover reveal post, but I. WANT. IT.
Angelina Barrett
First I started this book thinking that it was missing something, some key element that should pull the reader in and rope together the intricate parts of the story. I was therefore drawn to the conclusion that the way the authors start the book is inadequate even though the idea is still good. Later, maybe around page 400, the prologue of the story and the way that authors start the story makes more sense. However, I still believe that they did not start the story on the wellness foot because i ...more
Angela Kocheshkova
Feb 12, 2020 marked it as gay-fiction
Shelves: look-for-asap
i want this right now!! 😍

cover update: ...wow. it's amazing how much this does NOT vibe with me
Online Eccentric Librarian
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy, arc

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Master of One is an interesting book simply because it defies a lot of expectations and really isn't what you expect from the blurbs. It is definitely not a heist story, there are multiple POVs, it doesn't follow the normal plot structure, and you don't find a lot of the usual hoary YA cliches. At the same time, it can also be frustratingly simplistic, have too modern of a voice for a fantasy-set story, and can be ins
OneMamaReads
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ally
Oct 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I was very conflicted about how I felt about this novel. To me, the beginning of this book was very weak, while the second half was strong. The opening chapters just weren’t very engaging, and I foresee a lot of readers DNFing this novel.

However, I thought the world building was very strong. The Great Paragon was really cool, mostly because of how unique it was! Most books that involve the fae draw inspiration from trad
Mel
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
**I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley.**

So I'll sound like a drag saying this, but all the same: this book suffered deeply from a lack of seriousness. The caustic, jokey (and far too modern) tone - particularly in Rags's chapters - diminished so much of what could have been here. Every time anything intense or tragic happened it was almost immediately scuppered by a "witty" (see: cliche) aside - ditto any scene that offered up any magic.

Alongside this glib tone I found the way the chap
Thindbooks
*This e-arc was sent to me by the publisher to give an honest review in return*

I didn't like this book so much. Rags, a thief, is forced to find a fae relic and together they must save the world by an evil sorceress. I wasn't that hooked into the story and this book had 4-5 povs which I thought wasn't necessary. The pacing was off with some places that were either too fast or too slow. I didn't enjoy the world-building of this book and the plot structure wasn't well structured.

I didn't feel conn
Nicole Jacobs
Thank you NetGalley for the arc!

Rags, our main character, is a great head to be in. I will use it in He's funny interesting and enjoyable. I think the story from his point of view was the most interesting in the book.

Sometimes the pacing and the overall plot line of the book was a little confusing but overall I think it was a solid book and I think once books two and three comes out the world will get more developed The story will get stronger.
Katsumi
Aug 03, 2020 marked it as to-read
(8.3.20)
Me: sees book marketed as similar to Six of Crows and knows it won’t compare but adds it to TBR anyways 🤪
Jenn
Aug 06, 2020 added it
Shelves: own, dnf, arc
DNF. This is probably good, it's just not what I want to read right now.
Carol
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to come!
Enne
Sep 20, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This sounds so great! Really looking forward to receiving my copy from Goodreads. Review coming soon!
The Smol Moth
Sep 24, 2020 marked it as to-read
Did someone say gay fairies!??? If I don't like this book I will cry
Shahrizai
Oct 06, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
did...did they just market jaida and danielle as debut authors

wait livejournal is dead where am i going to find the fanfic this time?
jocelyn
i got an arc for this hehe
Vic
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so fun!! I really enjoyed every minute of it. Now I’m mad I gotta wait so damn long for the next installment!
Izzie
*DNF at 10%*
I really liked the plot and concept, but the writing just wasn’t working AT ALL. I was so confused and the writing was just all over the place without any clear description.
Preorder Campaigns: Master of One before 11/10/20 1 3 Oct 19, 2020 07:26PM

• Hot British Boyfriend
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Grown
  • Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man
  • Crownchasers (Crownchasers, #1)
  • It Devours! (Welcome to Night Vale, #2)
  • Muse (Muse, #1)
  • The Fell of Dark
  • Early Departures
  • Beyond the Ruby Veil (Beyond the Ruby Veil, #1)
  • The Once and Future Witches
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • A Golden Fury
  • Mexican Gothic
  • To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
  • Hench
  • Soulswift
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
Jaida Jones is a graduate of Barnard College, where they wrote their thesis on monsters in Japanese literature and film. A poet and native New Yorker, they had their first collection of poetry, Cinquefoil published by New Babel Books in 2006. They also co-wrote the Shoebox Project - a Harry Potter fan website with more than five thousand subscribed members. They currently live in Brooklyn with the ...more

News & Interviews