Start by marking “Break the Fall” as Want to Read:

Break the Fall

Audrey Lee is going to the Olympics.

A year ago, she could barely do a push up as she recovered from a spine surgery, one that could have paralyzed her. And now? She's made the United States' gymnastics team with her best friend, Emma, just like they both dreamed about since they were kids. She's on top of the world.

The pressure for perfection is higher than ever when
Hardcover
Expected publication: February 18th 2020 by Razorbill

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Feb 18, 2020
    Enter to win an advance reading copy of BREAK THE FALL by Jennifer Iacopelli!

(No PO boxes please)

Audrey Lee is going to the Olympics.

A year ago, she

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Start your review of Break the Fall
    Jennifer Iacopelli
    Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
    The Pre-Order/Library Request Campaign is live! Check out the details here:

If you're a librarian, bookseller or reviewer-type, you can request Break the Fall today on Edelweiss!

Caz (littlebookowl)
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: hachette
    Rating: 4.5 stars

A truly powerful book, but with an overarching tone of hope, empowerment, loyalty and strength.

Trigger warning: discussions about sexual assault (nothing graphic on the page)
    Kate (GirlReading)
    THIS WAS SO GREAT.

I can't count the number of times I caught myself thinking about this book randomly throughout the day, I also can't remember the last time a book made me think about it randomly throughout the day as much as this did. It was brilliantly written, powerful in its message and execution, empowering and totally and utterly addictive. I had heart palpitations numerous times throughout the girls' routines, which were vivid and expertly described.

I have truly never regretted my
    Kaelyn
    May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Once again, Jennifer has written a book about girls in sports that is about SO MUCH MORE. I was lucky enough to read an early version of Break the Fall and it will not disappoint. These girls are amazing, Leo is adorable, and the story is heartbreaking, uplifting, and inspiring.

I always hesitate to leave reviews because I don’t think I articulate what I love about them well enough, but trust me when I tell you this book is amazing. I can’t wait to order this for the teens at my library, they’re
    Rec-It Rachel
    Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Beth
    Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    My daughter is a competitive gymnast, so I speak from experience when I say that finding books - good books - about this subject that aren't just meant for the preschool set is...impossible. Really. A good fiction book about gymnasts just doesn't exist - until now.

The gymnastics in this book are so realistic that I could picture it in my head. Which is ironic, because my daughter rolls her eyes at me regularly when I ask her to remind me what in the world she's talking about as she mentions new
    Scarlet
    Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    So good! The sports aspects felt SO real and I really enjoyed all of the characters. I liked that it surprised me several times with the plot and it really kept me reading way past my bedtime because I just had to know what was going to happen.
    Alicia Thompson
    Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    THE YA GYMNASTICS NOVEL I’VE DREAMED OF SINCE 1996
    Diana Urban
    Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I don’t usually read sports fiction, but I thought this book was amazing! I was blown away by the descriptions of the gymnastics routines and competitions; I could see them play out like a video in my mind. Sometimes I found myself tempted to look ahead and see the scores; I was so invested in these characters and what they’d accomplish. While anyone who loves gymnastics should check this out, it’s also a story about female friendships and overcoming adversity in the face of a trusted adult’s ...more
    Sarah Henning
    May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I was lucky enough to read an advanced copy of BREAK THE FALL. As a former competitive gymnast and current-and-always lover of sports fiction, this book had it all: drama, suspense, heartbreak, redemption, friendship, and jealousy, all set against the backdrop of the Olympic stage and the shock of a major scandal. I loved every second of it!
    Kim
    When I was in Primary School, I devoured Teddy Slater’s Junior Gymnasts series. I wasn’t a gymnast myself, ballet/dancing was my after school activity, but I had this serious fascination with gymnastics and I adored the Junior Gymnasts books (still have them in a cupboard with my childhood favourite books). Break the Fall took me back to that time of fascination with gymnastic and ramped it up a notch!

This book was emotional and thrilling and I couldn’t put it down! I loved how real that
    Elizabeth
    Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: sports, faves
    Based on the uncorrected bound manuscript I was fortunate enough to receive.

The best gymnastics book I've read, Break the Fall combines everything you want in a YA contemporary: success despite adversity, failure with grace and of course an adorable romance. Iacopelli brilliantly crafts a story that is not only a gym nerd's dream but one that will cater to even those not well-versed in the minutiae of the sport. Audrey Lee, despite being the main character, is described more as a supporting cast
    The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
    Not only is this book about gymnastics, it is about the Olympics! I can’t wait to read about the competition and a determined main character. This is definitely a debut to watch for.
    Cindy Otis
    Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Gripping from start to finish. I can't wait for the world to experience BREAK THE FALL!
    Andrea Tome
    Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
    2.5/5

Gymnastics is one of my favourite sports that I 100% believe should receive more love, so when I saw this book on NetGalley I just hit the request button SO DAMN FAST.

I will begin by saying that Jennifer clearly knows her gymnastics. I can't say for sure how this novel will read to a YA reader who is not familiar with the sport, but I think Jennifer did a pretty good job at depicting competitive gymnastics faithfully and clearly, explaining the concepts and the judging in a way that's easy
    Kat
    Jan 08, 2020 added it
    It's an Olympic year so it makes sense that I started the year off with a book about the Olympics. It's about the USA team and how they cope when their coach is arrested for sexual assault. This book is all about going for your dream and learning how to pick yourself back up again when the worst happens. If you're a fan of teen gymnastic/dance films on Netflix then this book is definitely for you.
    It's not out till February so thank you to my bookseller sister who was able to get me an ARC
    ashortbooklover
    Real rating 4.5 stars

Full review to come closer to publication date
    Nikki
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I received this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

Ahhhhhh. I was so excited for this as I’m a huge gymnastics nerd, and I was right to be - I loved it! It has exactly the right balance of gymnastics and personal - plus the interplay of the accusation hanging over both it incredibly well done.

I did find a couple of bits a little unrealistic from a gymnastics point of view - but very minor niggles. Aside from that, as someone who does watch a fair amount it
    Jess Crafts
    Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I'm one of those people, and I'm sure many others are the same, that gets completely swept up in Olympic fever every four years. But, more specifically, I get completely obsessed with gymnastics at the Olympics. I google scoring and historical competitions, I YouTube relays and compilation videos. I watch films and TV show like stick it and make it or break it. And of course I watch the events religiously. So when I heard about this book I wanted it SO BAD. And let me tell you this book is ...more
    Katie
    Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Gymnastics is my guilt pleasure, This book was delightful fresh look at what it can take to be the best. I appreciated that it just showed a snap shot of someone’s career within the sport. Also it showed how much dedication is needed for a simple thing from an outsiders perspective.

Another aspect of the book I really liked is that it should female friendship in a positive light; rather then trying to sabotage each other the characters lifted each other.

Trigger warning: sexual abuse. I felt
    Mackenzie Lauka
    Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
    A great gymnastics story! With a focus on sexual abuse in the gymnastics world it was certainly a little hard to read with everything that has come to light in the past few years but it was a great story about overcoming it and coming out strong. The competition portions dragged on a little as it went through nearly every girl's routine and got a little repetitive, but still a really fun and quick read especially if you enjoy gymnastics.
    Rachael Mills
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A thought-provoking novel about a sexual abuse allegation within competitive gymnastics. I loved that the narrative chose to focus on the survivor and the healing power of sisterhood; this is a celebration of female friendship and solidarity. It features a wonderful main character and complex supporting cast, whilst also giving a fascinating insight into the all-consuming world of Olympic sports.
    Amanda Green
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I thought this book was so well done. I loved the characters, the storyline
    So well written
    Katie
    Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
    3.5/4*

Review to follow
    Sasha
    Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    this was amazing, review to come!
    Liz
    Jul 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
    THE GYMNASTICS BOOK OF MY DREAMS!
    Oct 07, 2019
    Kristina
    Nov 12, 2019
    May
    Oct 01, 2019

• Slay
    • Only Mostly Devastated
    • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
    • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
    • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
    • Love, Secret Santa
    • Yes No Maybe So
    • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
    • Diary of a Confused Feminist
    • Jackpot
    • Tweet Cute
    • Foul Is Fair
    • The Deathless Girls
    • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
    • Scars Like Wings
    • What Kind of Girl
    • Lucky Caller
    • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
    Jennifer Iacopelli was born in New York and has no plans to leave, ever. Growing up, she read everything she could get her hands on, but her favorite authors were L.M. Montgomery and Frances Hodgson Burnett, both of whom wrote about kick-butt girls before it was cool for girls to be kick-butt. As a high school librarian, she frolics all day with her students, books and computers and writes at ...more