Start by marking “Little Bird: The Fight for Elder's Hope” as Want to Read:
Little Bird: The Fight for Elder's Hope

Little Bird: The Fight for Elder's Hope

(Little Bird #1-5)

Award-winning filmmaker Darcy Van Poelgeest teams up with Angoulême nominated artist Ian Bertram to bring you the highly acclaimed dystopian sci-fi, Little Bird.

With the same limitless scope as Star Wars, and the social-political explorations of A Handmaid's Tale, Little Bird tells the story of a young resistance fighter battling against an oppressive American Empire while
Published October 22nd 2019 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Little Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Bird

Start your review of Little Bird: The Fight for Elder's Hope
Jesús
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Visually stunning and narratively cliché, Little Bird tells a post-apocalyptic tale of resistance and revolution—with a few brief nods to the history and present conditions of Canada’s indigenous population. But as the book builds toward a conclusion, it ends up instead retelling an increasingly muddled version of Star Wars. If not for the beautiful art and action sequences, there would be few reasons to recommend the book.

[Read in single issues]
Adam Stone
A story about a hero vs a tyrranical religious movement should be right up my alley. But somewhere around the second issue, my interest in the story started to wane. The dialogue and narration suggested an epicness in scope that the story didn't really deliver on. The grotesque violence was rendered beautifully by Ian Bertram but it was too over the top for me.

I found no plot point unexpected, no resolution made me happy or angry. I just wasn't invested in the characters. The villains too
Alex Sarll
"A story about my mother, my father and everyone else that's tried to kill me", set in a theocratic future North America, and between the stylings of the clerical armies and the body horror, there's a definite note of John Smith to this. The aesthetic recalls Prophet meets East Of West, and the protagonist's silhouette even has a hint of Leonora Carrington's Giantess - all good reference points. But little things stopped me entirely connecting, whether it was the overfamiliar underground redoubt ...more
Tim
Good lord this was incredible
unknown
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Started strong, but the last issue or two descended into violent incomprehensibility. I love the art style but I doubt it will keep me going through the next book.
Jonathan Hawpe
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Little Bird is a treat for fans of dark fantasy and weird dystopian worlds. There are shades of a His Dark Materials style totalitarian theocracy in Darcy Van Poelgeest's story, mixed with brutal, Mad Maxian violence and an almost Dune-like combo of science fiction and mysticism. Ian Bertram's visuals are wild, gorgeous, grotesque, and eye-poppingly otherworldly in a Princess Mononoke meets Moebius kind of way. Book one comes to a somewhat satisfying stopping point, yet definitely whets the ...more
Y.S. Stephen
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think one of the strengths of fiction is in that it can use symbolism to makes its point to a great effect. The medium does not have to entrap itself with the rigidity of reality in terms of rules, language, and cliches. Because of that, fiction is able to make good points about the real world that non-fiction finds very hard to make.

For example, Goerge Orwell's Animal Farm taught a good lesson about the politics of that time without pretzelling itself with terminologies that would give too
Paul Decker
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
*I received this book as an eARC from Image Comic via Edelweiss. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

The description of this book has everything. It's an epic with social-political exploration. There's a young heroine fighting for what she thinks is right. I was really looking forward to this book. Unfortunately, I could not get into it.

The art is very unique. There's grotesque elements and disproportion to emphasis the
Andrea Lorenz
Very interesting book. I finished and immediately wanted to start over and try to make sense of everything I had just read. The art is unique and gorgeously detailed - the whole thing really reminded me of We Stand on Guard but with more mythos, more super powers. I wonder about the author's connection with First Nations people. All that being said this was interesting and kept me reading. I'll definitely read more, because I want to find out what's next for Little Bird.

Thanks to Image and
Fay
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Hm. I liked it. It was cohesive, yes, but the pacing of the book series so far is a bit too fast. I’m not sure if this is the entire series, as it left on a bit of a cliffhanger, but they could have developed characters and their relationships a bit more instead of worrying about #1-5 telling a complete arc of the story. Visually, the work is stunning. Sometimes color schemes felt off from scenes but still worked. Overall, not bad groundwork for a story going forward, but still had room for ...more
Stephanie
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
The art is gorgeous, but the story is weird. I think it’s a religious war between Catholics and Northern Canadians. I wasn’t aware that Northern Canada was a religion. The religion bit turns me off. For most of it, I didn’t know what was happening. It was just starting to make a little sense and it ended. Don’t think I’m hooked enough to seek out future issues.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
drowningmermaid
Dec 13, 2019 is currently reading it
Am I being too picky about my gore? Pg-13 stuff sometimes makes a big show of coloring within the PG-13 lines. This one-- is very bloody. While I might be rightly criticized here for whining about all the spatter-- I think what I'm really whining about is the lack of cohesion between all the spatter. Maybe I'm spoiled with my manga books.

Also-- I'm tired of the Catholics-are-the-devil trope. Makes me want to re-read some Stephen Lawhead.
Theediscerning
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
One of those genre comics that can present quite interesting things fairly well – here the battle between warrior types and technomages – but that tend to spend too much effort on world-building for the sake of clarity. I certainly felt the need of more of the latter, to justify the work expended elsewhere on this. Two and a half stars.
(a)lyss(a)
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a graphic and beautiful book.

I like the art, but it also is rather gory which I was not prepared for.

I love that the story seems to be an allegory for the treatment of First Nation's people in Canada, but found the plot confusing as it progressed. There is a twist and it does sort of read like Star Wars, but I also felt like I got lost in the imagery at times instead of the plot.
Damian Mxyzptlk
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous art and quite unique storytelling make for a great graphic novel that had me gasping over panels and story developments. This book made me very happy, as it speaks to my European heart on many levels.
Chloe Palfrey
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is not for everyone and would be difficult for me to recommend. Personally i really enjoyed the story, the art and how dark it was.
Not for everyone but it was for me!
Jenna
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
*4.25
I enjoyed every blood-covered page. Oftentimes heartbreaking, and yet it still maintained moments of true humor... I love little bird completely.
JC  Cornell
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on South vs North with religion and land.
Aaron Dunbar
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five star artwork. Absolutely gorgeous.
I had difficulty following the story in places, which was the only thing that detracted from it.
Sheri
Oct 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Really, really disliked this. I didn’t like the plot or art, not really sure why I bothered to finish.
Hauck Araujo
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous artwork, exquisitely well crafted plot. A sci-fi master piece. Oddly reminds me Möebius.
Jason McCracken
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Lovely artwork and a decent story.
Collin Katrell
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant art, coloring, and lettering lead the way for this fascinating and wild adventure. I couldn't put this one down till I finished it.
Lily
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
There is a lot going on in this book. I am definitely going to need to read it again as it’s quite packed.
Anders Nyberg
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five stars is for the art here because this may very well be the most beautiful comic book I ever seen. I'm so glad we have Ian Bertram now that Moebius isn't around anymore.
Paul Zits

• Oblivion Song, Vol. 3
  • Bad Weekend
  • Something is Killing the Children #2
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Our Encounters with Evil: Adventures of Professor J.T. Meinhardt and His Assistant Mr. Knox

Little Bird (6 books)