Start by marking “King Of Shadows (The Masks of Under #2)” as Want to Read:
King Of Shadows (The Masks of Under #2)

King Of Shadows

(The Masks of Under #2)

Some call him a madman. Others call him a warlock. Both are true.

But if it wasn’t for Aon, I’d be dead. I was mere seconds away from dying by Edu’s hands when the King of Shadows appeared in a flash of lightning, saving me from Edu’s murderous plans.

Now I’m under his protection, living in his home. The more time I’m forced to spend with him, the more I start to piece toget
Published March 26th 2019 by Limitless Publishing

To ask other readers questions about King Of Shadows, please sign up.
Kathryn Ann Kingsley Hi there!
Hi there!
Book three comes out for pre-sale on May 18th and goes live May 28th. The whole series (it's a six-parter) is released then every 3 weeks until it finishes on July 30th of this year. So this'll be the longest gap between installments! (less)

Start your review of King Of Shadows (The Masks of Under #2)
Deborah
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Re-read 15th June 2019.

I’m ready for books 3 and 4 now 🤗🤗🤗

Original review.

I had mixed feelings on the previous book King of a Flames. But Aon intrigued me enough to make me carry on.

And I’m so glad I did. I really enjoyed this book.

Originally this series was three long books which the publisher decided to cut to six short books. For me personally I would have preferred the three long ones. Or certainly a long first book to allow us to settle into the series.
So for me it was a mistake to cut th
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
tumblr_ohboy.gif

This was all sorts of fabulous and I was absolutely salivating to get started here.
I had a couple to read on my list before this and it nearly killed me to wait but the anticipation definitely lived up to my internal hype and I'm all sorts of digging "King of Shadows" and would go as far as to say this is my stand out series so far this year.
This begins exactly where we left things in the previous instalment and Lydia still seemed very fearful and wary where it concerned Aon and his unknown inte
Marta Cox
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
The follow up to King of Flames sees the very human Lydia separated from her friends and at the mercy of Aon, the King of Shadows. Lydia is struggling to understand how Under works but is under no doubt that Edu, the King of Flames will kill her in a heartbeat . The problem is shes now at the not so tender mercy of Aon, who has never pretended not even in nightmares to be sane. Aon is full of tricks and happily indulges in mind games but no matter how strange or frightening everything is Lydia i ...more
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
OMFG...a bloody cliffhanger. Are you for reals right now!

This series is amazing, I can't lie. It is awesome. I loved it, I cried a little at the end , it's just so good. I need book three asap. It's so good. I literally cannot find one bad thing about it, well except the cliffhanger ending, that sucks.

You have got to read this book. Totally amazing.
Annika
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
description

Fuck yes! I need more.
More of Lydia and her fresh spirit and strong will. More of Aon and his sexy playfulness and cruel sadism. More of their crazy chemistry!
Everything was too confusing. It was all too much. Aon was all at once compassionate and a monster, hunting her in the shadows and consoling her in the light. A gentleman and a beast, who was asking permission to do terrible things to her.

I love how Kingsley managed to make all her characters so incredibly multi-dimensional. How in one
Umaiya ❄️Ramblings of a Scattered Mind❄️

A roller coaster
That pretty much defines this book.

This. WHat? Huh?!

Hold it right there! Stop! Just Staph!!

I know I said to wait till the series ends but y'all I recant that statement. You need to jump on this band wagon as fast as your tiny reader wallets can get you cause Aon is precious of all precious and NEEDS to be shared with others.

The world needs this pure ray of sunshine!
Hah! see what I did there?
No. You don't. Cause you haven't read it yet!!

This was the best book I've read so far
Karen  ⚜Mess⚜
I am fangirling over Kathryn Ann Kingsley. I absolutely love her storytelling, her creativness, her world building and her artwork. Such amazing talent!

The tone is slightly different in this book. In the first book I was freaked out by the horrors. In this book I learned to love the horrors. Beautiful character building with Aon and an undeniable strong bond between Aon and Lydia. If there's ever a best book couple poll it would have to go to Aon and Lydia.

No photo description available. Lydia and Aon. Artist Kathryn An

Christa

Aon chuckled. “I am quite jealous that you were dreaming of some other man dismantling you. I have not made an appropriate impression upon you, I see. I must try harder next time.”

Aon is by far and away the creepiest love interest I’ve read this year and I’m here for it.

This book ends on a cliffhanger so there’s that.

Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
At the end of book one, Lydia escapes Edu (the King of Flames) only to find herself in the clutches of Aon (the King of Shadows). As his prisoner/guest, she discovers that only some of his horrific reputation is true. Tension builds between the two of them while the rest of Under wonders what is going on. In the end, the Oracle claims (view spoiler)

I am loving this series so far. Most of this
Rhiannon Chillingworth
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this!

The first book had so much potential and it was totally carried off in this book.

I read that the first two books were originally one big book and I think I would have preferred it if they were.

Nevertheless, tgis book both expands on the intriguing world of Under and focuses on the development of the relationship of Aon and Lydia. And I loved every second of it. They are just the sort of couple I love.

And that epilogue damn near broke my heart.

My only criticism is the fade to
Natalia
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG... 5 STARS ALL FOR AON!

Again a slow start but then it got me in a way i can't describe...
Even without the explicit sex scenes the book is so sexy, the slow burn was just perfect...
Damn you cliffhanger, my question is when will book 3 be published!??
A Klue
Well, naturally, this book picks up where Book 1 ended with a cliffhanger, folks. Again, since this is not an ARC, I simply don’t have the time, thanks to a full literary dance card of ARCs requiring my attention, to dissect and really analysis this second on-going sequel of the Masks of Under series. Just know this one unfolded at a much slower pace, with the heroine getting to know up close and personal the one king everyone else seemed to completely misunderstand. Not that he was as harmless ...more
Tiera McMillian
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: july2019
For those of you that have just grabbed this book... go back get book 3.. your gonna need it!

This story is just so engrossing! I'm completely involved with the characters. This author has splendid talent writing characters that you hate to love but catch yourself doing it anyway. I feel like the flaws exhibited by the characters actually make them more lovable. As the reader you eventually wonder how messed up you are because you are totes falling for the bad guy, or at least that's the way it s
Tiffany Roberts
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Writing this review as I'm halfway through the third book, but I am absolutely loving this series. If you love urban fantasy/paranormal romance with a dash of horror, I think these would be right up your alley.

Aon, the lead (anti)hero, is a sadist. He's not a good guy, but...he wants to help fix what he'd broken—which is their world. So that's some good, right? I think so. As Shrek would say, he is like an onion. He has layers. **Snicker** He's a guy that you sympathize with, even while you crin
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
This story picked up right where the first one stopped. Lydia is fighting for her life and she has no idea how to defeat Edu but he is out for her and wants her dead. Then she gets help from Aon who saves her minutes before she is to die. Lydia isn't sure why he saved her but she is grateful for him saving her.

Now Lydia is under his protection because she is living with him and he is her protector. The more time she spends with him the more she is beginning to put together the pieces as to why
Stephaniec
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic
Wow, I was not expecting this book to be as good as it was, it sucked me in and I gobbled it up.
Lydia is fast becoming a fav heroine of mine, she has managed to strike a balance between holding her own but not overconfident and stupid.
Looking forward to getting my hands on book 3 especially with how it ended
Coco.V
Jun 14, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (6/14/2019)! 🎁
Julia Red Hatter Book Blog
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm so in love with King Of Shadows. It begins right where King Of Flames end. Lydia is now a "guest" of Aon's. Nothing is as she was told. Everything is different with Aon. He isn't as the others say. He isn't how he projected himself in her dreams.

Lydia is still just as determined as ever to make it home. She's so fierce and brave. She lives with a madman, with the man who makes everyone tremble in fear. Yet things are not as they appear. I'm so freaking happy that I was right about Aon. He's
Beyond The Covers Blog
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romaine
As a guest of Aon, Lydia is still trying to piece together the macabre world of Under. She is safe now from King Edu but still cautious.

Aon has an air about him that not only frightens Lydia but also pulls her toward him. He has a reputation of being a sadist and a  madman but Lydia sees another side to him as well. A gentleman who has patience with her and her smart mouth. You can feel their emotions and chemistry.

The scene with Otoi was epic!! Loved her human badazz side!

Evil is still lurking
Ashley Carr, LSoR
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book picks up right where the first book ended, in the heart of the Under. This book is fast-paced from beginning to end and there were so many twists and turns I couldn’t put it down. I HAD to know what happened to Lydia. She is still determined to get home but makes a concession living with Aon the “madman” of the Under. He isn’t like what the others say about him or how he was portrayed in her dreams. I’m just going to say this now, I liked this book better than the first one. I got suc ...more
Caitlyn Warren
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I still stand by what I said in my review for the first book, that they should have been combined into one book. But man this book is really where it gets interesting. I went from thinking "I'll give it a try since I read the first one" to "I need the third book now!". This book really is where the whole story really begins. This first book is important for world building but this is the one where you start to really care about the characters.
BB
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This series is good as shit.
Wow.
Wasn't bored at any part, I adore Lydia, Aon totally stole my heart with his cool-as-shit clawed GAUNTLET HAND BRO!! A gauntlet! We stan! Even harder than in book 1!

That ending, man, that ending.

description

We are gonna get some bomb-ass PLOT next book bro, May 28th here I come!!
Angela James
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMSqueee

OMSquee! Dark and Delicious.... son is a bit of a bully but man oh man, that monster has a heart! This book was all that and a bag of chips... chips that if you eat just one you're craving more... give me the more! Next book please, and oh by the way yeah, you should read it!
Heather Gilbert
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I am in love with this series! I am going back and throwing this review out there, since I apparently only starred it on my Kindle App. 3 books in with the 4th set to drop any day and the series just keeps getting better! If you like Urban Fantasy, especially the twisty, shake your mind and tempt your heart kind - then you NEED to read The Masks of Under.
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sooo good. Read both really fast! Can't wait bring on the next one!
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it

Omg! I love this soooo much! I read both in a day and a half! Had to sleep a little...lol soooo bring on the next one!
Ayse  Huseyin
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I can’t wait for the next book!
Tessa Hamberlin
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I called it! I was much happier with this book and I’m looking forward to the rest of the series.
Andrea
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The madness continues, and if anything gets even more crazy!

f39423fead649e1091bc9940b3ab2a5a

PS- Me personally, I want to read all of the goriness- but I also want to read the sex scenes. We keep getting the build up but not the deets!
Princess J. Antoinette
So holding back my opinion..

Overall rating:
3.5* ~ I like it
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Fortune Favors the Cruel (Dark Maji, #1)
  • Blessed be the Wicked (Dark Maji, #2)
  • Twisted is the Crown (Dark Maji, #3)
  • For King and Corruption (Dark Maji, #4)
  • Long Live the Soulless (Dark Maji Book, #5)
  • Twilight Seeker (Daybreaker, #1)
  • Curse Breaker (Kingdom of Runes, #2)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • Blood Trial (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #1)
  • Vampire Debt (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #2)
  • Dark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1)
  • To Love a God (Lily of the Valley, #1)
  • Hunted by the Winter King (Faeted Mates, #1)
  • Death Game (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #3)
  • Oath Taker (Kingdom of Runes, #1)
  • Hand in Fire (Sins of Sora, #1)
  • The Cruel Fae King (The Cursed Kingdoms #1)
  • Marvels and Misfits (Trixie Towers, #1)
Kat has always been a storyteller.

With ten years in script-writing for performances on both the stage and for tourism, she has always been writing in one form or another. When she isn’t penning down fiction, she works as Creative Director for a company that designs and builds large-scale interactive adventure games. There, she is the lead concept designer, handling everything from game and set des

The Masks of Under (6 books)
  • King Of Flames (The Masks of Under #1)
  • Queen of Dreams (The Masks of Under #3)
  • King of Blood (The Masks of Under #4)
  • King of None (The Masks of Under, #5)
  • Queen of All (The Masks of Under #6)

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...
“For that day so long ago when he had taken Qta’s life, he had demanded Qta make for him a queen. He had demanded he build someone to love him. Qta refused, and Aon murdered him in his rage. In the desire to love, and more importantly, to be loved, he had destroyed the world. Now, on the eve of their destruction, they taunted him with hope, only to dash it away upon the cobblestones. They chose to mock him with that he could never have. Touché. “Take her now, for you would not have her then.” Aon took a step deeper into the water, sank now up to his waist, and lowered the girl into the pool. Lydia’s body was pulled from his grasp by unseen hands, their power dragging her down into the chasm. Aon climbed from the liquid and returned to the altar, putting the metal mask back on his face. There was comfort in it. He could bury his sorrow there. He could hide it all. He turned to look back at the pool for one last time. “Know that I will be the death that will rain down upon all you have made.” 1 likes