Start by marking “Vow of Silence” as Want to Read:

Vow of Silence

A killer is hiding in Plain sight…

The hunt for a serial killer leads Homicide Detective Josiah Troyer back to his Amish roots. To catch a madman preying on young women, Joe must return to Lancaster County and regain the trust of a shattered community.

The FBI knows Joe is the best chance they have of solving this case. By returning to Lancaster, he will face shunning, and
Kindle Edition
Published May 27th 2019 by Entangled: Amara

To ask other readers questions about Vow of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vow of Silence

Start your review of Vow of Silence
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 Edge Of My Seat Stars

I love Melynda Price's work. I fell in love with her Against the Cage series, and have read every book from her that I could get my hands on. So when I seen Vow Of Silence on Netgalley, I was really curious. I was use to her sexy, bad-ass MMA fighter romances, so I didn't know what to expect going into a book set in Amish country. BUT OMG!!!! OMFG it was so good. To say I was on the edge of my seat, is putting it mildly. I didn't know who the killer was until a few pages
Kahea
***4 Stars***

I’ve enjoyed this authors works, which ranged from being about MMA fighters to a Surf god, so when I saw that she was putting out a book set in the Amish world, a world which fascinates me on all levels, I was all in and I have to say that I loved every second of it. Everything from the characters to finding out who the killer was kept me turning the pages until there were no more words to read.

I loved Josiah and Hannah. Josiah is a good, honorable man who really was born to be a
Betül
**ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review**

description

Vow of Silence is a suspenseful second-chance romance. This book is about Homicide Detective Josiah (Joe) and his first and only love Hannah. Joe has Amish roots but left the community eight years ago, which also resulted in breaking Hannah's heart. He is now back because there is a serial killer hunting and murdering young Amish girls, and Joe is put on the case because he is familiar with the community. I think the author did a
Kelsie Maxwell
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read
Melynda Price

Vow of Silence is a romantic mystery from author, Melynda Price.

Detective Josiah “Joe” Troyer was raised Amish but was shunned by the community when he left to live in English “non-Amish” society. He’s forced into heading the investigation of the murders of three Amish teen girls. Hannah Adams is the sister of the third victim, Cassandra Belier, and Joe’s former girlfriend. Because Joe left Hannah with seemingly no reason, the tension is very high between them. They
Elaine
This is a romantic suspense with plenty of differences! For a start it is a second chance romance between an Amish couple who were sweethearts eight years ago but haven't seen each other since he left. However, don't assume that because it involves members of the Amish community it will be a very Christian, moral/rule following story - it isn't!

He's a Homicide Detective, Josiah Troyer, who is now known as Joe and he has no desire to return to his Amish community, knowing he'll be shunned there
Maureen Timerman
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I saw that this was an Amish story, and that intrigued me, but be aware this is not a Christian story, this one would get an “R” rating.
This story is written similar to another author that has several books in the nature, and they also are not warm cuddly reads.
This one is the killing of young Amish girls experiencing their running around time, and end up being tortured and killed.
Keep reading there are surprises and bombshells here, I just had to fast forward in some parts!

I received this book
E-Reader Addict
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I love a good second-chance love story. Add to that a good ole’ fashioned whodunit that kept me guess the whole book through, and you’ve got storytelling gold!

Joe Troyer fled his Pennsylvania Amish roots and became a homicide detective in St. Paul, Minnesota. Eight years later, a serial murderer has him heading back to the life he left and the woman he loved and was going to marry.

Hannah is desperately trying to mend her shattered life. First her husband died (which, as an Amish woman, puts her
Heather 123
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a clean, wholesome Amish romance book - this is not the book for you!

I read all sorts of romance books, so I was not turned off by the sex scenes (and there were many) in this Amish romance book, but I could see how some could be. Hence my warning.

This book was amazing! First off, I had no idea who the killer was until the very end of the book. Usually the reader will have some idea(s) as to who the killer is, but in this book everyone I thought was not the case.

I really
Leanna Mattea
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gripping suspense novel, with equal measures of romance, passion and the mystery of unsolved murders of young Amish girls. Joe Traynor returns to his roots that he left several years prior, before becoming a successful homicide detective. Now he returns to investigate the murders and face an emotional reunion with Hannah, the Amish girl he hoped to marry in his previous life.
You will become immersed in the twisted tangle of suspense, as the girls keep disappearing, and Joe struggles to find
Donna Repsher
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by admitting that this is the first novel I've read by Melynda Price, but it certainly won't be the last. Netgalley listed Vow of Silence as a mystery/thriller/romantic suspense novel and it certainly is exactly as described--it's one heck of a good mystery/thriller, loaded with suspense, and rather than having the usual wee bit of romance thrown into the mix, it also reads as a fully explored, fully realized, second chance at romance novel too, and thanks to being written in ...more
Erin  Koiso
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last place homicide Detective Joe (Josiah) Troyer wants to go is back home to Lancaster, PA. He casted aside his Amish roots eight years previously and is now a detective in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Joe left behind his Amish roots for a new life, leaving behind his one and only true love Hannah Beiler, with no intention of ever looking back. But there is a serial killer preying on young Amish girls and the FBI has decided that Joe is the only person that can go there and get the answers they are
Marianne
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Melynda Price's writing and have been patiently waiting for her next release. I've never really dabbed my fingers in the thriller/mystery genre in romance but I'm glad I did. Vow of Silence was 100% thriller/mystery with a touch of romance that wasn't overwhelming, as in the sex scenes weren't obscene or overly written (thankfully!), and I enjoyed every page!

Vow of Silence takes place in what I'm assuming is present day, Amish community where our MC Police Detective Joe (f.k.a.
Crack A Book Cafe
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young Amish girls are showing up dead. A serial killer is on the loose, and to catch the killer, a homicide detective must face his past and the love he thought he’d never see again.

Homicide Detective Josiah (Joe) left his Amish roots behind to carve himself a new path in the outside world. But it comes at a cost; his family, friends and the women he’ll never forget. When a serial killer begins preying upon young Amish girls, Joe, with his Amish background, is assigned to the case. Suddenly Joe
JoAnne
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vow of Silence kept my interest from the first page of the prologue to the last page of the epilogue. I was fully engaged in the story but I would have liked the epilogue to be a little longer to give me the closure I wanted.

Vow of Silence is a murder mystery where young Amish women are being killed. Is there a serial killer performing the crimes? Is it someone they know or an outsider or Englisher? Will there be another murder or can Detective Joe/Josiah Troyer, put a stop to the murderer or
Micheala
I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley

After reading Colleen Hoover’s Verity, I realized how much I enjoyed the thriller/mystery genre. Problem is, so many are contemporary thrillers and I have to have a good amount of romance in there. When I stumbled upon this one, I was so excited because it sounded so good with everything I have been looking for in it, along with being set against an Amish background. The last Amish-set series I read was great but nowhere close to this.

Teresa
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by Melynda Price and to me she knocked it out of the park. This book was filled with mystery and romance. It is a bit different from most books I have read including the Amish.

Eight years ago Detective Josiah "Joe" Troyer left his family and the Amish community where he was raised in Lancaster County Pennsylvania after asking for the love of his life's hand in marriage and was turned down by her father. By leaving the community he is shunned. In the Amish community this
Elizabeth Neal
A second chance at love? A mystery that needs solved? Those sound like the start of a great recipe.

Joe fled his Amish community and became a detective, not returning until eight years later when a homicide leads him back home...and to the woman he left behind. They were in love, planning to get married, but...

Hannah is once again trying to pick up the shattered pieces of her life. This time it's following the death of her husband, something that's dangerous for a woman in her position, and the
Michele (Between These Sheets)
Vow of Silence was described to me as “like the movie from the 80’s, Witness but with sex”. And since I also hadn’t read a book about Amish or a murder mystery in a while, this one had me quite intrigued.

Joe left his Amish community after a heart break left him feeling like he didn’t belong. His new and old lives collide when his job as a detective brings him to investigate a murder that hits very close to his former home. I enjoyed the twists of the murder investigation that helped keep the
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have ever read from this author, due to this I am not familiar with this authors writings or other books. I did assume because this was an amish book this was a christian book, so that being said that was my fault for assuming, so this is my review for this book.
This is NOT a Christian book. It’s starts off very sick and twisted. There is a lot of cursing through out. There is a lot of sex, so if you are looking for a good wholesome story this is not for you. That being
Jessica Belmont
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vow of Silence is a romantic suspense that has a lot of depth, mystery, suspense, and a romance I actually liked reading about. This isn't always the case with romantic suspense for me, and I'm really impressed with Melynda Price's work!

Part of what made me want to read this was the setting of this book. It's set in the Amish world, and I had my fingers crossed it would be deeply researched and realistic feeling. Melynda Price clearly knows the Amish culture well. I loved reading about their
Gina
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, arc
Homicide Detective Josiah "Joe" Troyer gets a visit from the Feds. They want his help on their case and feel that he can get witnesses to talk to him. His acceptance would mean returning to the one place he said he would never return, Lancaster County and his Amish roots. It also means returning to the only person he has loved, Hannah.

There is a serial killer murdering young Amish girls, including Hannah's sister. No one is talking to the Feds, they are outsiders. Joe doesn't think he will have
Becky
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, arc
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 5/30/19.

Vow of Silence is a riveting mystery and satisfying romance. A serial killer is hunting young girls in Amish country, and finding a connection between the girls is proving a challenge. Shunned Amish and current police detective/cadaver dog handler Joe (formerly Joshiah) takes a case in the last place where he wants to return--his hometown, where his ex-girlfriend and the only woman he ever loved lives.

Can Joe catch the killer? (There's red herrings
Sharon Grow
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Homicide Detective Josiah (Joe) Troyer, former Amish, is asked to return to his home town to investigate the serial killings of young Amish girls. Joe is now a homicide detective in Minnesota, having left his home and the woman he loved in Lancaster, Pennsylvania eight years ago. He was in love with Hannah Belier, but she was promised to another. Her younger sister, Cassie, has become the latest victim of the sadistic killer. When Joe and his K9 partner, Dexter, arrive, he knows this will be an ...more
MaryAnn
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vow of Silence is the first book I've read by this author and it's one I really enjoyed. I typically don't pick up Amish stories, not for any particular reason, I just haven't. This one made me glad I chose it.

This is pretty close to equal parts a second-chance romance and a thriller. The main characters are well developed and I enjoyed learning about them and their back stories. The insight into the Amish community was also something that held my interest.

The mystery part was well done, leaving
Michelle Noble
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emma is around 17 years old, and her boyfriend joe is around 18 when Joe sought permission from Emma's father for her hand in marriage. Her father denied him, and Joe broke up with her, and he became English, because he didn't want her to be shunned by refusing to marry the man her father chose for her. Eight years later, Joe is a detective, and the FBI calls him in on a murder case to Lancaster. He's vital to the investigation, because he knows the people in the area. The Amish aren't ...more
Jessica Kimbel
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Police detective Joe Troyer, a.k.a Josiah Troyer, left his Amish roots eight years ago to avoid shunning and hurt to his first and only love, Hannah, but left her with heartbreak instead. Now, the FBI has come to him for his assistance in catching a serial killer targeting young Amish girls in Lancaster County. Joe reluctantly agrees to return to the life he left behind and the love he regrets leaving every day when he realizes that one of the murdered girls was Hannah's young sister. Hannah and ...more
Charlotte
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy.....disturbing......and brilliant.

Vow of Silence brings you into the world of murder, a shaken Amish community and broken hearts.

I felt uncomfortable from the first page, the murderer lies in wait for his victim.....he knew where she was, that she had 'sinned' and he's obviously disturbed. He's really well written, I actually suspected someone else.

I love Joe, the way he brings a new view point to the investigation and the relationship with his partner (Dex, his cadaver dog).

There's also
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been SO excited to read this book! I love Amish country and have been to Lancaster numerous times, and always wanted an Amish themed book to try, but they were all too tame for my tastes. Not much existed outside of inspirational romance, that’s fine, but not my cup of tea. So when I found out MP was writing this kind of story and it was hella adult, I couldn’t wait! And man, I was NOT disappointed.

I loved this couple, and that ending was perfect. The mystery held my interest although
Jamiewillis3524gmail.com
Usually, when reading these types of books, I know who the killer is within a few chapters. I'm not sure how I know, but I'm always right. This can be very frustrating for me, mainly because I love a good who done it and feel a little bereft over knowing how it's going to end. That was not the case in Vow of Silence. I had no idea who it was until the end. Which means I LOVED THIS BOOK.

The main characters were well developed, and the secondary characters were vague enough to make you wonder if
Jo
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was something of a refreshing change of pace for me - and one that I am glad I chose.

This is a devious little book. At the same time as the author had me rooting for Josiah and Hannah to overcome the obstacles in their way, she also had me second guessing the motives of every secondary male character. And although there were several twists and turns in the suspense arc, I enjoyed how direct the romance aspect was, even with the constraints of Hannah's beliefs.

And, although not all the

• Andrew (The Petersheim Brothers #1)
  • Rebekah's Quilt
  • Cold Heart, Warm Cowboy (Cold River Ranch, #2)
  • Cowboy Rebel
  • Plain Truth (Plainly Maryland, #3)
  • The Last Real Cowboy (Cold River Ranch, #3)
  • Christmas with a Cowboy (Longhorn Canyon, #5)
  • Taken (Deep Ops, #1.5)
  • A Family for Gracie (Amish of Pontotoc #3)
  • The Amish Cookie Club (The Amish Cookie Club #1)
  • The Amish Widow's Rescue
  • Red Zone (Red Zone, #1)
  • Hard Target (Cobra Elite, #1)
  • Born to Be a Cowboy (Montana Strong, #3)
  • Once Upon a Cowboy Christmas (River Ranch, #3)
  • Cowboy Courage (Longhorn Canyon, #6)
  • Strands of Truth
  • The Cowboy's Daughter (Three Sisters Ranch, #1)
Melynda Price is a bestselling and award-winning author of contemporary romance.Her Against the Cage series has finaled in many awards such asthe RONE, USA Today BBA, Golden Quill, National Readers’ Choice, and New England Readers’ Choice, and won the 2017 Write Touch award.

What Price enjoys most about writing is the chance to make her readers fall in love, over and over again. She cites the