Start by marking “The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)

The Field Guide

(The Spiderwick Chronicles #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  68,145 Ratings  ·  2,884 Reviews
It all starts when Jared Grace finds their great uncle's book, 'Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastic World Around You' and the Grace kids realize that they are not alone in their new house. Now the kids want to tell their story but the faeries will do everything they can to stop them.
Published May 1st 2003 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Field Guide, please sign up.
Danielle Swift I am a 4th grade teacher and I have this series in my library. It's written at exactly a 4th grade level and my students love to read it. I have a…moreI am a 4th grade teacher and I have this series in my library. It's written at exactly a 4th grade level and my students love to read it. I have a pair of students who have read all the way to book 4 so far. The plot isn't scary and is full of lots of magic that they enjoy. Both boys and girls seem to enjoy the series equally. (less)

Patrick
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading these books for the second time. But it's been years since I picked them up, and it's the first time I'm reading them with my son. And both of those things make a huge difference to my experience.

First, and perhaps most importantly, my little boy likes them. He's about five an a half, which is younger than the target age for these books, but he's into them.

(In the interest of full disclosure, Oot isn't the most critical of readers at this point in his life. He pretty much likes all
Bangadybangz
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun little book! Short and sweet, quirky and magical, loved it! I've always been a fan of anything to do with fairies and folklore, so I'm definitely pumped to delve more into this exciting world!
 ⚔ Sh3lly - Grumpy Book Grrrl ⚔
I read this with my daughter for a school book report. It features three children and their now-single mom, as they move to a dilapidated house owned by an elderly relative.

Mallory is the eldest and likes fencing. Simon is one of the twin boys and loves animals and science. Jared is the other twin and appears to the trouble-maker of the bunch. They discover they may not be the only inhabitants after stumbling upon a hidden attic with a field guide full of details about fairies.

Crazy things sta
Rachel
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Everything about the packaging and promotion of this book is delightful...the title, the mysterious notes obscuring the back cover synopses, the inclusion of a letter from the three children protagonists to the author. All of that is very nice, but after reading the first installment, I can't help but feel a little robbed.

First of all, and forgive me for this, I can't help comparing the books to a more cleverly written and altogether smarter series, Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Eve
Becky
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Just your typical 'move into an old creepy house, weird stuff starts happening, one of the kids gets blamed, and then they find a book that explains the existence of fairies/faeries/fey which solves their problems... while at the same time causing many more problems'.

Happens every day.

Also, I'm no expert in the sport of fencing, but I'm pretty sure that they don't call the weapon a sword, and someone who is serious about fencing, as Mallory apparently is, would know that.

I think that this boo
Taylor Knight

I read the Spiderwick Chronicles back when I was quite young, maybe eight or nine. My sister and I read the crap out these books (we must have read them 15 times, no joke) and I've been wanting to revist this series and the wonderful fantasy world that Holly and Tony created for awhile now but I've finally gotten around to it.

The writing partnership of Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi is remarkable and this series is by far some of the most well written literature that I've ever read.

The three ma
Kristina
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I remember reading and loving this book when I was 10 or 11years old. So when I saw it in one of my local charity shops I immediately bought it. I definitely don't regret it. I think I loved it just as much as my child self. Maybe because I am such a huge fan of all things paranormal.
I like that there are drawings throughout the book which are absolutely gorgeous by the way. :)
It follows the adventure of two brothers and a sister into the magical world right beside the house they live in. Ther
Reem Alkhalaf
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ممتعة لأقصى حد انتهيت منها بأقل من ساعتين

المراجعة ستكون عند انتهائي من الجزء الخامس والأخير منها
Alexis Ayala
Las crónicas de Spiderwik nos cuenta la historia de Simón, Jared y Mallory, tres hermanos que se mudan con su madre a una casa de la época victoriana en medio de un lugar aparato de la ciudad. Pronto, los ruidos de la casa, los mensajes en el polvo y aquel libro lleno de criaturas fantásticas que encontraron los llevará a querer descubrir qué hay detrás de todo eso.

Volver a estos libros después de años me trae un sin fin de recuerdos de aquella primera vez que lo leí. En esta ocasión, vuelvo a
C.P. Cabaniss
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
About a year and a half ago I found this entire five book series at a thrift store and decided to buy them. I didn't know much about the series, other than that there was a movie made, but for five bucks I decided to take a chance. And now, over a year later, I have finally started reading them. And I'm really glad I have.

This first book is about the Grace children: Mallory, Jared, and Simon. Their lives have changed quite drastically in a short amount of time and they find themselves in a new
Cait • A Page with a View
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faeries
I might be out of the target age range for this series just a wee bit buuuuut better late than never.
Anne
Very cute! I can see why kids like them. I'm sure I'll end up buying the complete set for mine!
C.G. Drews
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this for research purposes. I'm pretty sure a boggart is stealing my left socks. OKAY, NO. That's not why I'm researching it! I want to write children's books, and mine turn out too weird, so I thought I'd read more children's books and get a hang of the voice and style. This was an epic example. (It can't be more then 10K, right?) I really enjoyed it. I've watched the movie, and the first book is...what? The first 20 minutes of the movie?! It's such an adorably cute book! But now I'm imp ...more
George Jankovic
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I like this book for kids (8-11). It's spooky at times as you follow two twin boys and their sister in a creepy, old house.

Enjoy!
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]
3 / 5 stars

The Spiderwick Chronicles movie had been a family favourite in my household for years, my sister and I watched the movie a ridiculous amount of times and yet, I never read the series. I was curious when I picked this up, to see how much of the story I remembered and how accurate the film had been.

This story follows the Grace family, who were forced to move into the house of a crazy Great Aunt when they couldn't afford to live in New York after the divorce. The three siblings; Jared a
Luzmila♡
Reto #30 PopSugar 2018: Un libro con personajes que son gemelos.
Amy
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
A fun and quick read.
P
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
เดียวนีกลายเปนคนชอบอานหนังสือเดกทีมีภาพประกอบไปแลว สำหรับสไปเดอรวิกนีเคยดูหนังเมือหลายปีกอน ชอบนะ พอมาอานแลวรูสึกวาหนังสือนีเลาเรืองแบบกระชับมาก ไมยืดเยือ ภาพประกอบกสวย ใหอารมณลึกลับนาติดตาม ติดแคตรงเนือเรืองเลมแรกสันมาก เปนการปูพืนไปเลมตอๆไป แตอานแลวติดใจจนตองหยิบเลมตอขึนมาอานทันที

(view spoiler)
Jackie "the Librarian"
Fairies are DANGEROUS. And they don't want you to know about them. I love that this book takes the question of fairies and brownies and pixies seriously, it gives this story its power. I love the setting: the rambling old house out in the country, the secret room, the shadowy feeling that something is watching...
And I love the format of this series, with the uneven edges to the pages, the small size of the books. They just feel cool.
This is the first book of the series, and it starts off strong
Brooke
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
This had everything a children's book should have: imagination. This was really great!
Gretchen
As I said in an earlier comment, I love the size and feel of this small book. That may sound an odd comment, but I am a book lover of the real deal books, not electronic ones. I love books you can hold in your hands, feel and smell the paper, books you can caress. It's just such a lovely size; I could hold it in one hand whilst I read. Even the fonts captured me. This is the sort of book that I would have cherished as a young girl, collecting all of the series and placing them in a special spot ...more
Leona  Carstairs
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
"The Field Guide" is one imaginative little book. This book is short, but very good and original. For fast readers such as myself, it might take 20-30 minutes to read this book. That's how quick of a story it is. But despite being only about 100 pages, I totally loved the story of the Grace siblings.

I read this for the first time when I was 8?? 9?? I don't really remember actually, but I loved these magical adventures then and still do. If you know anyone who is a reluctant reader, or prefers s
Susen liest
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 Sterne - Ist zwar niedlich erzählt, aber grundsätzlich passiert in dem Buch extrem wenig und es endet ziemlich unbefriedigend. So richtig rund fand ich die Sache nicht und kann leider nicht wirklich den Hype um diese Reihe verstehen ...
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lemony Snicket Fans
Shelves: 2005, ya, fantasy, adventure
The First book in a series of Five.

The story is about the Grace Children: Mallory who is 13 and the 9 year-old twins Jared and Simon. When their father leaves the family, mom and the kids move into the Spiderwick estate - a large crumbling mansion that they inherited from their “crazy” Aunt. The house is big enough for Mallory to practice her fencing, Simon to keep his stray animals he loves and for Jared to ....well... mostly just be pissed off. He isn’t handling the whole abandonment thing re
Isa Lot
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Uno de esos libros entrañables que se pueden leer a cualquier edad, muy bien escrito, sencillo y ameno, y con ese ambiente de fantasía y magia, en una casa misteriosa, tan maravilloso. Me ha gustado mucho, no podía parar de leer.
Peter Monn
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much. Can't wait to read the rest of the series. Check out my review on my booktube channel at http://YouTube.com/peterlikesbooks
Martin
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Обожавам тази поредица! Това са книгите, които ме накараха да обичам четенето, затова са и толкова специални за мен :)
Stefan Yates
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-room
I wasn't too sure what I was getting into when I started this book and I must say that I was much more than pleasantly surprised. The story centers on a mother and her three children, a set of twins and their older sister, who have just moved into the old dilapidated house that has been in the family for years. Very soon after moving in, strange occurrences begin to happen and the children dedicate themselves to solving the mystery.

This is a well written introduction to the series and the style
Reddish
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Debo decir, sin vergüenza alguna, que soy muy fan de la película Las Crónicas de Spiderwick. Es por eso mismo que he decidido leer los libros. De momento la cosa me está gustando bastante. Las ilustraciones le dan un toque fantástico a la historia. Ya explicaré qué me ha parecido la saga en general en el último tomo, puesto a que son bastante cortitos, y no creo que tarde mucho en leerlos todos.
  • Kenny & the Dragon
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4)
  • The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3)
  • Igraine the Brave
  • Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)
  • The Water Sprites (Fairy Realm, #8)
  • The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet (The Secrets of Droon, #1)
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • Arthur and the Minimoys
  • The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #1)
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)
  • The New Kid at School (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #1)
  • The Snow Spider (Snow Spider Trilogy, #1)
  • Worlds Apart (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #14)
  • Jennifer Murdley's Toad (Magic Shop, #3)
  • Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #1)
New York Times bestselling author and illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi has been creating children’s books for nearly two decades. From fanciful picture books like The Spider & The Fly (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like Kenny and The Dragon and the WondLa trilogy, DiTerlizzi imbues his stories with a rich imagination. With Holly Black, he created the middle-grade series, The Spiderwick ...more

The Spiderwick Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Six Scary Stories
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Rite of Passage
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
  • Flowertown