Start by marking “The Little Women Cookbook: Tempting Recipes from the March Sisters and Their Friends and Family” as Want to Read:

Experience the exciting and heartwarming world of the March sisters and Little Women right in your own kitchen.

Here at last is the first cookbook to celebrate the scrumptious and comforting foods that play a prominent role in Louisa May Alcott’s classic novel Little Women.
If your family includes a Little Women fan, or if you yourself are one, with this book you can keep t
Published October 1st 2019 by Harvard Common Press

To ask other readers questions about The Little Women Cookbook, please sign up.
Wini Moranville Clairice Gifford! She is amazing. You can follow her on Instagram.

Start your review of The Little Women Cookbook: Tempting Recipes from the March Sisters and Their Friends and Family
Eve (Between The Bookends)
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
description
description First, lets talk about that cover. How adorable is that?! I love it. 💕 So, ok, it is no secret that I have a thing for literary inspired cookbooks. 😍 I think they are fun. 😁 Make great gifts and are super cool to collect. 🎁 When I saw this one up on NetGalley, I knew I had to get my hands on a copy. 👐 I adore Little Women, and I love to cook...win win. 👍👍

The book is divided into four chapters...

-- Hannah’s Breakfasts 🍛
-- Gatherings with Family and Friends 🍴
-- March Family Dinners and Suppers 🍻
Mackey
I am a huge fan of Louisa May Alcott and of the era in which she wrote her classic books, including Little Women. I also own a Bed and Breakfast so I’m always on the hunt for great recipes – new and old. This cookbook was a dream come true. So often books refer to the food the characters are enjoying and, yet, in older classics it can difficult to find a corresponding recipe. With The Little Women Cookbook, we get to enjoy the flavors of that time but with modern era ingredients and, of course, ...more
Juli
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I collect cookbooks, especially bookish ones. I love Louisa Mae Alcott's book about the March family. It's been one of my favorite classics ever since I first read it as a child. Reading through the recipes and quotes in this cookbook make me want to re-read the novel! I added it to my TBR list! :)

This cookbook is filled with quotes from the book, many color photographs and wholesome recipes. I think Marmee would be proud of all the yummy food in its pages. She would gladly have served every one
Manybooks
Truth be told (and even with a bit of guilt as it does seem as though most of the posted reviews have been very much positive and often even glowing), I am actually more than a bit conflicted regarding Wini Moranville’s The Little Women Cookbook: Tempting Recipes from the March Sisters and Their Friends and Family. For while the general set-up of direct quotes from Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women novel combined with over forty diverse recipes (from breakfasts to desserts and drinks) is indeed v ...more
Rebecca Reviews
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wini Moranville’s The Little Women Cookbook features yummy and approachable recipes from the March sisters and their friends. I enjoyed this literary cookbook but I wish it was a little better designed and had more interesting photos.

This charming cookbook has clearly detailed recipes that are simple and easy to follow. I particularly like that the ingredients are familiar and accessible. I also love that Moranville includes set menus for dinner parties and picnics so you can dine just like the
Nancy
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
For one hundred and fifty years readers have identified with the March sisters. Louisa May Alcott drew from her family members and life, making Little Women a beloved story with relatable characters.

Set during the Civil War, with Mr. March at war far from home, the March sisters and their mother struggle to obtain their basic needs. Food insecurity impacts their home and the community. The novel begins with the preparation of a Christmas breakfast feast which the girls valiantly donate to an im
Alicia Bayer
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a sweet little cookbook for fans of Little Women. The author explains at the start that she researched recipes of the time but adapted most of them for modern times. I collect historic cookbooks and love cooking old-time recipes, so was hoping for more authenticity. These recipes tend to call for things like purchased cookie mixes, cake mixes, frosting, puff pastry, etc. while I prefer to cook from scratch and would prefer more of that sort. There are some from-scratch recipes, such as f ...more
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
I loved this so much, full of gorgeous illustrations, great recipes, quotes from the book, it’s such an attractive and adorable addition to the world of Little Women. I am going to have to buy in hardback now because it was so beautiful (kindle version to be used for recipes as to far too gorgeous to cause me to accidentally soil-which I would) An absolutely beautiful cookbook.
Taryn
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This was a truly lovely cookbook that will take you back into the classic read Little Women. Filled with homey feeling recipes directly from the classic any true fan will be transported into the book and come out the other side excited about cooking some tasty food. It was a great celebration of Little Women and will have you picking it up again just so you can find the recipes mentioned throughout. The author did a.beauty job and even included fabulous illustrations, and quotes from the stories ...more
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

The Little Women Cookbook by Wini Moranville is a must-have for fans of the classic Louisa May Alcott series. The book contains simple recipes that are inspired by the food in the books. Also, there are some cute illustrations and quotes from the stories to accompany the instructions.

One of my favourite classics, Little Women, is a story that celebrates families and sisters. The Little Women Cookbook carries on this theme with some straightforward recipes that will
Amanda
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so excited to be receiving this for review. I love Little Women. I remember reading it a couple of times when I was a little girl. This cookbook brightens my day and my moms.
Crystal
What a charming little cookbook! I have a deep nostalgic love for both Little Women and for heirloom recipes (even though I can't eat many of them due to dietary restrictions), and this book offered plenty of both, presented in an absolutely beautifully designed and formatted cookbook, full of fascinating culinary history, biographical tidbits about Alcott and her family and home, and lovely artwork.
This is honestly one of the best tie-in cookbooks I've even read. The recipes as presented sound
Janet

When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing "cool" to do but reading sitting in front of the a/c as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader. (Yes it is hot and humid in Canada!)

Exper
Gemma
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to say I love cookbooks that accompany or support books.
This is not just a cook book, filled with quotes, references to Little women, an the time it was set in, historical facts, and recipes.
The pictures are wonderfully mouthwatering.

I am intrigued with the spice trade deviled eggs, and the beef stew with molasses and apple cider vinegar.

More than anything though I will be trying the hot milk sponge cake,

All in all a lovely book that would make a lovely gift.

I voluntarily read and revie
Elaine Howlin
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, arc, 2020
This is just the loveliest cookbook! I love all of the little snippets from the novel, the illustrations are so cute and the recipes are delicious and so easy to do yourself. My only issue is that I wish there were more photographs of the food but overall it's a wonderful and sweet cookbook.
Jantine
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got hungry almost as soon as I opened this cookbook. The pictures are stunning! So are the descriptions. Every recipy has a connection to Little Women, a book that I simply love and have re-read several times. I not only got hungry, I now also want to read that book again. The recipies all have clear instructions, and seem to be easy to make. Okay, enough reading about food commenced, I now simply have to make not only the lemonade, but those other things as well!

I received a free e-copy in tu
Cathy Geha
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Little Women Cookbook
Tempting Recipes from the March Sisters and Their Friends and Family
by Wini Moranville; Louisa May Alcott

Little Women is a classic even today. It has been made into movies and lives on long past the time it was first published. Food is integral to life and it was also part of the March family’s life, too. In this book the author has presented recipes based on information in Little Women and also from information she gleaned from cookbooks of the era. She has modernized
Ann Withers [jo]
Oct 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
To be honest, this was a really disappointing book. However, looking at this objectively, the reason is threefold.

One: it’s not my taste.
When I can handle solid food, I enjoy eating meat and vegetables, light on the carbs unless my blood sugar necessitates more (think Ron Swanson😂). This cookbook is pretty much the exact opposite of that.

Two: it’s old.
With #1 there’s also the fact that the cooking is dated. And given the fact that I’m wholeheartedly gen-z and have been raised on food that scient
Brooke Hudson
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely treasure for those of us that have long loved Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. With a new movie being released near Christmastime 2019, I've been rereading Little Women. I was very happy to find this cookbook, full of recipes mentioned or inspired by the stories in the book. It is obvious that the author did a lot of research for recipes from the time, but she has also updated her recipes to make them more palatable to the modern palate (and the modern cook!). The book itself is ...more
Beth
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
So excited to get this in hand when it's published - as a long time fan of Little Women, I was curious how the cookbook would be done. I love the photos, and the history that is given in addition to the recipes. Will definitely be an excellent addition to a shelf, and looking forward to recommending it for a "What I'm Giving" table at our store!
Emma
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: usa, ebooks, cuisine
Everything about this book is perfect and so adorable : first and foremost, the art is the sweetest and I wish all my books were as pretty. Then, the recipes have been adapted to what we eat in 2020 for the most part, but I also appreciate all the historical context, little anecdotes and extracts from Little Women.

I've read it twice in a row and enjoyed it even more the second time.
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This was a cute little cookbook full of the warmth of the Little Women book. I think though that I would probably only cook one or two things out of it.
Deena
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love a cookbook that also tells a story! Readers who love Louisa May Alcott’s classic Little Women will love this book. Filled with recipes and comfort foods, quotes and comments from the book, The Little Women Cookbook is a wonderful addition to any shelf!
QNPoohBear
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it

Wini Moranville researched historic cookbooks from the time period of the novel to put together this cookbook aimed at casual readers. This full-color book is very visually appealing with bright colored endpapers, illustrations of the March sisters and photos of Orchard House and recipes. It is divided by meals.

Chapter 1: Hannah's Breakfasts; Chapter 2: Gatherings With Family and Friends; Chapter 3: March Family Dinners and Suppers; Chapter 4: Sweet Treats, Desserts and Drinks. Breakfas
Kelly
The Little Women Cookbook: Tempting Recipes from the March Sisters and Their Friends and Family by Wini Moranville, Louisa May Alcott

October 1, 2019
Quarto Publishing
112 pages
Health, cooking, nonfiction
Rating: 5/5

I received a digital ARC of this book from NetGalley and Quarto Publishing in exchange for an unbiased review.

This is a must have for all Louisa May Alcott fans! It is vibrantly illustrated and organized into four chapters: breakfast, family gatherings, dinner and desserts. The author
Sharelle
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Little Women Cookbook is a treat! --as sweet, hearty, and satisfying as the Victorian inspired food that the recipes tempt us to prepare (with or without the children in our lives ).

I have already enjoyed Garden Pot Pie. For vegetarian cooking, which I do, it’s a perfect main course. Served in small portions, it also works well as a side dish for meat-based meals.

And I’ve already enjoyed the Fruit and Nut Trifle, which has a pleasing mix of textures--plus it presents beautifully.

Next up?
Alexandra Consolver
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full Review:

5 Stars - I recommend if you enjoy Little Women and cooking. This would make an excellent gift.

A cookbook with recipes and tibits from the time period of Little Women. Moranville has spent time researching the foods mentioned in the book, and cookbooks written during the time period to share similar recipes to the ones Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy would have made and enjoyed. Some are updated versions for modern cooks, while others are fairly true to their 1800s recipes.

The cover drew me t
Lisa Horsch
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me and my fellow book club members as a gift from Tammy. The author is a member of her church. We read Little Women, went to see the movie together and brought recipes from this book to our meeting at Tammy’s house. It was all so wonderful! I have since used several recipes from the book and love to read the historical references behind the recipes and the life of Louisa May Alcott.
Elyse
NetGalley ARC.

This was an adorable, enjoyable cookbook and I noted down a few of the recipes for future baking/cooking! Makes me want to re-read the book, which I just read for the first time this year or re-watch the 1994 movie!
Juli Anna
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Fresh and sweet, but not earth-shattering.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Secret Garden Cookbook: Recipes Inspired by Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden
  • Strawberry Love: 45 Sweet and Savory Recipes for Shortcakes, Hand Pies, Salads, Salsas, and More
  • Money Hacks: 275+ Ways to Decrease Spending, Increase Savings, and Make Your Money Work for You!
  • The Flexible Family Cookbook: Exciting, everyday recipes to suit all your family’s needs
  • The Official Downton Abbey Cookbook
  • The Secret Ingredient Cookbook: 125 Family-Friendly Recipes with Surprisingly Tasty Twists
  • Winner, Winner! Chicken Dinner: 50 Winning Ways to Cook it Up!
  • Epic Air Fryer Cookbook: 100 Inspired Recipes That Take Air-Frying in Deliciously Exciting New Directions
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Dorodango: The Japanese Art of Making Mud Balls (Ceramic Art Projects, Mindfulness and Meditation Books)
  • Come On Over!: Southern Delicious for Every Day and Every Occasion
  • Bruce Lee
  • Mary Shelley
  • The Mexican Home Kitchen: Traditional Home-Style Recipes That Capture the Flavors and Memories of Mexico
  • Atlas of Vanishing Places: The Lost Worlds as They Were and as They are Today
  • Fire Cider!: 101 Zesty Recipes for Health-Boosting Remedies Made with Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Grown Ups
Wini Moranville has worked as a food writer and editor for twenty-five years. She is the author of The Bonne Femme Cookbook: Simple, Splendid Food That French Women Cook Every Day and has contributed to many cooking magazines and websites.

Wini has a particular passion for heirloom recipes and served as the researcher and writer for Test Kitchen Favorites, a book of best-loved Better Homes and Gard

Articles featuring this book

This holiday season, why not give the gift of The Chronicles of Narnia's Turkish delight, a cozy dinner with the March...