Start by marking “Darling Rose Gold” as Want to Read:

Darling Rose Gold

Sharp Objects meets My Lovely Wife in this tightly drawn debut that peels back the layers of the most complicated of mother-daughter relationships...

For the first eighteen years of her life, Rose Gold Watts believed she was seriously ill. She was allergic to everything, used a wheelchair and practically lived at the hospital. Neighbors did all they could, holding
Expected publication: March 17th 2020 by Berkley

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 17, 2019
    Enter for the chance to WIN one of 15 advance reader's copies of DARLING ROSE GOLD.

A dark, shocking, and unputdownable thriller debut about a mother

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 15 copies available, 492 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 15 - Dec 14, 2019

Countries available: Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Darling Rose Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darling Rose Gold

Start your review of Darling Rose Gold
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    OH NNOOOOO!!! This is too nasty, disturbing, agitating and creepy! This is totally sick, insane, dark, edgy! CARRIE MEETS HULU’S “ACT” SHOW! And I LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT! Who cares if I’m not normal! I loved those brilliant, ultra evil genius brain cells of the author. If I ever have plastic surgery, I will demand to have that kind of batshit crazy brain cells so I can enjoy more creepier, nail destroyer, body hair lifter, and scary stories. As a result: I can happily give 5 gazillion stars ...more
    Miranda Reads
    Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    description

All these years, I've been telling people she was sick.
    Look who was right after all.
    Rose Gold spent nearly two decades of her life believing she was sick.

A chromosomal abnormality is what her mother (Patty Watts) said but what Rose Gold was actually diagnosed with was always shrouded in mystery.

That is...until her mom installed the internet and Rose Gold did a little digging for the first time in her life.
    It's Rose Gold's fault I went to prison, but she's not the only one to
    Meredith
    Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: edelweiss
    Mother vs Daughter. Crazy vs Crazier. Who will win in the end?

Darling Rose Gold is a psychological thriller about an extremely dark and twisted mother-daughter relationship.

5 years ago, 23-year-old Rose Gold Watt’s mother, Patty, was convicted for aggravated child abuse. Patty, who has Munchausen by Proxy, abused her daughter for years. Under her mother’s care, Rose Gold became violently ill, suffering from malnutrition and a host of other ailments as a result of her mother's abuse.

Patty
    Maureen
    Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    **4.5 stars **

“I will hurt you for this. I don't know how yet, but give me time. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid.”
    ― George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Let me say straight off the bat that neither of our protagonists - mother Patty Watts, and daughter Rose Gold Watts are in the least bit likeable, but are they readable? Hell yes!

Rose Gold spent nearly two decades of her life
    Susanne  Strong
    5 Sick and Seriously Twisted Stars!
    Now that’s my Kind of Read!

Mothers and Daughters - talk about relationships that are never easy!

Most, however don’t involve mothers who constantly lie and cause extreme harm to their daughters, complicating things just a tad.

Whatever the problem might be, a Good Dose of PRISON is sure to shake things up a bit!

Just ask Rose Gold. She sure is excited for her mom Patty to be released from the slammer after 5 long years. In fact, she almost seems.. gleeful. As
    Chelsea Humphrey
    "Most people don't like holding on to anger. They feel it crushing and consuming them, so they let it go. They try to forget the ways they've been wronged. But some of us cannot forget and will never forgive. We keep our axes sharp, ready to grind. We hold pleas for mercy between our teeth like jawbreakers. They say a grudge is a heavy thing to carry. Good thing we're extra strong."

Saddle up and buckle in folks, we have a new popcorn thriller on the horizon! True, this book isn't released in the
    marilyn
    Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: buddy-read, edelweiss
    Oh my gosh, what a entertainingly wicked book. Rose Gold's mom, Patty, apparently suffers from Munchausen syndrome by proxy and has spent five years in prison for her brutal treatment of Rose Gold. On her release from prison, Rose Gold, with new baby in tow, picks Patty up from prison and allows her to move into her new home. Patty knows this home well because it was her childhood home where horrible things happened and a place Patty hoped to never see again.

This story is told from both the
    Felicia
    Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This story and it's characters have more layers than the filtering on my selfies.

"Most people don't like holding onto anger. They feel it crushing and consuming them, so they let it go. They try to forget the ways they've been wronged.

They say a grudge is a heavy thing to carry.

Good thing we're extra strong."

This is a story about revenge.
    Michelle
    Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Oh boy! This was pure gluttonous entertainment at it's finest.

What happens when a mother is accused and convicted of Munchausen by Proxy?

Patty is released from jail after serving her time and her daughter, Rose Gold, has decided that she can can come stay with her. Rose Gold would like for them to put the past behind them. It's not her mothers fault that she loved her so much. Rose Gold wants a new start on life and she has a plan to make that happen and what a glorious plan it is.

This book
    Kaceey
    Finally!! My search is over! The five star thriller I‘ve been searching for!

Oh how I love dysfunctional characters and all their human frailties. And folks, this book is chocked full of them! It was like a mad-cap competition to see who was more unstable.

Rose Gold had a rough childhood, to say the least. Always quite ill, ushered from one doctor to another...one hospital to the next. And never getting any answers.

Patty Watts. A single mother raising her daughter Rose Gold on her own. She has
    sue
    This is definitely going into my top 10 this year on the creepiest, page turning mind twisting edge of my seat reads!

A mothers and daughters relationship is a complicated one. If anyone has a daughter there are going to be some rocky moments. But forget that! That’s a piece of cake!
    Meet Rose Gold and her Mother Patty. I don’t know who is worse. When she grew, did she learn from her mother?

As the blurb says, Rose Gold grew up believing there was something wrong with her. The surgeries she had to
    Julie (JuJu)
    If you threw The Act and Mommy Dearest in the blender, you would have a Darling Rose Gold smoothie! One of the best debut thrillers I’ve read! I really sunk my teeth into this one (a little pun you’ll understand when you read the book ).

“Once upon a time, they said, a wicked mother gave birth to a daughter.”

“Poisonous Patty” was the perfect nickname for this mother! I imagined suffocating her with a pillow, among many other things, every time words oozed from her mouth. Rose Gold had all
    Kelly (and the Book Boar)
    Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

“Once upon a time, they said, a wicked mother gave birth to a daughter. The daughter appeared to be very sick and had all sorts of things wrong with her. She had a feeding tube, her hair fell out in clumps, and she was so weak, she needed a wheelchair to get around. For eighteen years, no doctor could figure out what was wrong with her.”

I had no idea how much buzz there was about this book on the intertubes until I received
    Tammy
    Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
    I’m in the minority on this one. Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy is a horrifying affliction in which a child is made ill by the mother’s narcissistic need for attention and sympathy. Seemingly based upon the story of Dee Dee and Gypsy Blancharde, I didn’t find this novel to be entertaining. The writing is solid and I’m not opposed to unlikable characters but this made want to take a shower after reading it. It is chillingly unpleasant.
    Jayme
    Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
    4.5 stars!

“Sometimes you accidentally hurt the ones you love"

For eighteen years, Patty Watts had the whole town convinced that her daughter was seriously ill, including Rose Gold, herself.

But, once it was discovered that Patty was the one causing all of these illnesses, she was sentenced to five years in jail.

Now Patty is being released, and Rose Gold is allowing her to come live with her, and her infant son, Adam.

BECAUSE EVERYONE DESERVES A SECOND CHANCE! RIGHT?

Make no mistake, although
    Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
    “Darling Rose Gold”....is one of the new psychological thriller *It* books. We have them every year. Excitement for the newest thrilling-thriller.
    “Rose Gold Darling”, won’t be released until March of 2020....but the early reviews were expressing ‘suspense-entertainment’ with words such as “dark, shocking, creepy, and unputdownable.
    Being curious - I jumped on the OMG wagon.

My first dislike: ( as in a pet peeve dislike)....I’m not a fan of the ‘name’, “Rose Gold”. I’d never want to be called ‘
    Ceecee
    Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What did I just read? I felt like I was watching a deadly game of chess between Lucifer and Beelzebub, or more correctly as the protagonists are women, Mazikeen and Lilith, as they move around the board trying to outsmart each other and achieve checkmate. This book isn’t just dark, it’s downright jet black!

This fast paced and beyond twisty psychological thriller features mother Patty Watts and her daughter Rose Gold Watts. Patty serves a five year jail sentence for the child abuse of Rose Gold
    Theresa Alan
    Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This is an original, dark, disturbing novel. It’s gripping, but neither of the two main characters are likeable. Yes, you have empathy for them because of their terrible childhoods, but they make horrifying decisions that make your eyes goggle.

Rose Gold took the stand five years ago to put her mother away for a lifetime of child abuse, primarily through lack of nutrition and endless lies about her health. I’ve heard of Munchausen by Proxy from TV and movies like The Sixth Sense, but this is the
    Holly  B
    Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Dark, complex and plenty of unlikeable characters to hate on...

Munchausen syndrome by proxy is such a fascinating and disturbing disorder. There are many real-life cases that have made headlines. I'm not familiar with the details of any of them, but have seen news reports.

The mommy from hell in this one is Patty Watts. She has been released from prison after five years for abusing her daughter, Rose-Gold Watts. They have decided to move in together and see how it goes....Rose Gold has a
    Zoeytron
    Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

Patty Watts, born to be a mother, and loves the smell of hospitals. The thoughts that go through her mind are not normal. She likes to step on peoples toes, literally and on purpose. Her daughter, Rose Gold, likes to hide things. Her smile, her teeth, and whatever it is that she is so careful to keep locked up in her room. Obsession, second chances, suffocating relationships, looking at madness as an option. Is there revenge in the offing,
    Carolyn
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    4.5 Stars.
    Thanks to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for this wickedly entertaining thriller. It was diabolical, warped, and seriously twisted in an intense, riveting way. It is told in alternate chapters by a mother, ‘Poison Patty’ and her adult daughter, Rose Gold.

Neither woman is remotely likeable and the plot sometimes far fetched, but the suspense was maintained throughout. It was almost impossible to put down.

Patty apparently had Münchausen syndrome by proxy, with the victim being
    megs_bookrack
    This sounds deliciously dark!

Thank you so much, Berkley Books, for my advanced copy. Your kindness is always appreciated!

Dennis
    Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Recommended to Dennis by: Chelsea Humphrey
    We have all heard of these Munchhausen and Munchhausen by proxy stories for years now, but Stephanie Wrobel's Darling Rose Gold is seriously the best one yet. Think of all of the thrillers with this theme in the past for a moment—we never see what happens after the parent is caught harming their child for sympathy. In Darling Rose Gold , we start with Rose Gold's mother, Patty, being released from prison. She's finished her five-year sentence for her involvement in the neglect and ...more
    Renee Rosen
    Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Darling Rose Gold takes domestic/psychological suspense to a whole new level. Think Gone Girl on steroids. Absolutely impossible to put down and I'm certain that Rose and Patty will stay with me for a long, long time. They are two of the most complex, twisted characters I've come across in recent reads. Wrobel takes you deep inside their psyches with great skill and insight. This one isn't out until the Spring 2020 so keep it on your radar!
    Jaidee
    2.5 "might have been...but very readable" stars !!!

Darling Rose Gold is one of those books that is very readable and sort of hard to put down. It is at its core a cat and mouse game between mother and daughter who are both highly dysfunctional individuals that put their own needs before the other's. Who will dominate the other within a story of mutual abuse and manipulation ?

The issue I have with many of these psychological chick-lit thrillers is that the author puts cleverness and glibness
    Crumb
    Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    OH. MY. GOD. I have no words. Literally.

Review to Come.
    Tucker
    Nov 26, 2019 marked it as arcs-to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Recommended to Tucker by: Miranda Reads

Many thanks to Berkley Publishing Group for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

Requested this one because of Miranda's excellent review! I can't wait to see how it goes!

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | Reddit | LinkedIn | YouTube |
    Jackie
    Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: giveaways
    I won this in a goodreads giveaway. Very creepy book. Good plot twist at the end!
    Emma
    Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This was a chilling and creepy read! What happens to a child raised by a mother with munchausens by proxy? I’ve never thought about the psychological effects for the victim, only the physical ones. This was a fascinating read!
    Ellen Gail
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Nobody wants to hear the truth from a liar

Well that was a little bit batshit crazy and a whole lot of fun!

It's no secret that I love stories featuring munchausen and munchausen by proxy. The Act, Sharp Objects, probably others I can't think of at the moment. It's so fascinating!

So obviously, Darling Rose Gold was primed and ready for me to love it. I'll go ahead and throw out some praise to start off with - Darling Rose Gold takes a totally fascinating premise and doesn't rest on its laurels.
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
    Stephanie Wrobel grew up in Chicago but has been living in the UK for the last three years with her husband and dog, Moose Barkwinkle. She has an MFA from Emerson College and has had short fiction published in Bellevue Literary Review. Before turning to fiction, she worked as a creative copywriter at various advertising agencies.

Darling Rose Gold (US & Canada)/The Recovery of Rose Gold (UK) is

• The Better Liar
    • Mr. Nobody
    • The Other Mrs.
    • Behind Every Lie
    • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
    • Saint X
    • Woman on the Edge
    • Long Bright River
    • A Window Breaks
    • In Five Years
    • Problem Child (Jane Doe, #2)
    • The New Husband
    • Big Lies in a Small Town
    “It was easier to manipulate someone if they didn’t perceive you as a threat.” 2 likes
    “The bond between a mother and daughter is sacred. You know better than anyone that no matter how awful they are, we still find it in our hearts to love them.” 1 likes